Options

Msg=overrated

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    No, I think Madison Square Garden is just a special place in the greatest city in the World. I'm actually more psyched about the Beacon, though

When did MSG move to Chicago?

I am more excited about seeing the band in a older place. I think the new arenas lack flavor, an aura if you'd like. It is like the Boston Garden or the fleet center/whatever they call it nowadays. The new place has a lot more to offer in terms of amenities, but history is just not there. For some of us that is still important, places with flavor. I have seen them at the United center several times, and all great shows, but it just lacked an element that Chicago Stadium had. Maybe it is because I am older who knows. I just tend to enjoy shows more in old school venues.
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    hrd2imgn wrote:

Hehehehe, good one
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    everyone in Boston is still upset about ...18-1.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    hrd2imgn wrote:

june 24 th and 25th

the days u are traveling here to see the band ;)
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    pj0705 wrote:
    While you guys are getting a history lesson at MSG, ill be getting a guitar lesson by McCready at the Tweeter..errr Comcast Center.

I'm not sure what that even means, but have fun.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im far from riled up

i love the fact that u cats wish u were nyc ,,its too funny

face it,,, never gonna be that way

No need to get angry.

I think he's only having fun with ya there, Pumpkin.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    All I know is that to those who of us who live in non normal PJ venue towns, MSG seems to be the ultimate spot to see the guys, other than in our own backyard. I could have easily spent half the cash and seen both shows in Boston, but I'm going to happily take my one night with PJ on the 24th and soak in MSG in all its glory. That's not saying Boston isn't a great spot, cause it is. But the venue doesn't have the history that MSG has. Simple fact. But enough to make me want to go see the msg show
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've never understood how a setlist makes or breaks a concert for folks.

To each their own, but it really is the energy the band has. I could careless if the band half ass plays satans bed because they haven't played it in 10 years.

Play a song that rocks and gets the crowd going. For me a concert is good if the atmosphere is good and the band is on fire.

i've never been to msg or a boston show. I bet both are very good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    pj0705 wrote:
    You are right...I'm grumpy because we are in first place and just won a World Series.

I'm just saying, everyone is gobbling the MSG shows like Ed is going be flying around the arena like Peter Pan...I just dont get it.

well just look at how fast they sold out the two shows here compared to the two up there like night & day ,plus we are the center of the universe hell even brady spends hi's weekends here ....and your boy manny gets hi's weed here ...:D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    pj0705 wrote:
    I dont judge by setlists alone...but its obviously a big part of going to a Pearl Jam show. I'm not saying they dont bring their "A" game to MSG, but they bring their "A" game almost everywhere. Are you saying they mail it in sometimes in other cities?

Yes. A show at a generic shed in Birmingham, Alabama is not going to be the same as a show at Madison Square Fucking Garden.

It's just not.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    well just look at how fast they sold out the two shows here compared to the two up there like night & day ,plus we are the center of the universe hell even brady spends hi's weekends here ....and your boy manny gets hi's weed here ...:D

VERY NICE
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im far from riled up

i love the fact that u cats wish u were nyc ,,its too funny

face it,,, never gonna be that way

Thank god for that.

Although I do realize that sounds quite silly since I'm only from Maine
  • Options
    Um, Crown of Thorns?

Plus it's no secret that New Yorkers are better people in the eyes of God than Bostoners. It's true. I read about it. In a book. It's called the bible.

no you didn't!!

NY is the modern day Babylon=city of sin, so if you mean better to unleash plagues upon then yeah,you're better.:D
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    You know what, no show on this tour is over rated because they're only playing like 13 dates... everyone is going to be gabbing about all the shows they are going to... but the music will speak for itself... just think of all the cities that are going PJ-less this summer :(.

MSG is a great venue, the energy at those shows is really second to none... I've been there many times and I've also been to almost all the boston area PJ shows in the past 5 years (sans mansfield 1 2003) and all of them were great... however... I thought it was funny/weird that the fans started a Yankees Sucks chant at a Pearl Jam concert, talk about a one track mind.
  • Options
    everyone in Boston is still upset about ...18-1.

yeah..how about those Knicks? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yankees? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Giants in '08-'09? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jets? hahahahahahahahahahahahahah
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    ... brady spends hi's weekends here ....and your boy manny gets hi's weed here ...

lol :D

[size=-3]I'm from Boston[/size]
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    yeah..how about those Knicks? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yankees? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Giants in '08-'09? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jets? hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Not a New Yorker ... but a little advice. I might lay off the Giants smack for a while 'k ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    I'm from nether Boston nor New York, but in 2003 went to shows at both venues. For that particular tour New York DESTROYED Boston, because the crowd was insane. I'm sorry but 8,000 pairs of tickets to fan club members for 1 show? Boston has a big PJ following but it had nothing on New York that year. And yes 47 songs in one night is pretty sweet, but you gotta admit that fan club fans make a big difference in atmosphere.
  • Options
    Not a New Yorker ... but a little advice. I might lay off the Giants smack for a while 'k ...

fuck that!! Giants suck!! fucking fluke!! see what they do this season!!(bet they don't even make it past the first round of the playoffs,assuming they even make the playoffs)
  • Options
    SAME SHIT TURNS INTO A SPORTS THREAD BECAUSE THATS ALL BOSTON HAS GOING FOR THEM NOW

except football :)
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    I'm from nether Boston nor New York, but in 2003 went to shows at both venues. For that particular tour New York DESTROYED Boston, because the crowd was insane. I'm sorry but 8,000 pairs of tickets to fan club members for 1 show? Boston has a big PJ following but it had nothing on New York that year. And yes 47 songs in one night is pretty sweet, but you gotta admit that fan club fans make a big difference in atmosphere.

thats about sums it up
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    fuck that!! Giants suck!! fucking fluke!! see what they do this season!!(bet they don't even make it past the first round of the playoffs,assuming they even make the playoffs)

that's it, get it out. It helps to get it out.
    They suck now? Super bowl champs suck? HA that's rich.

I don't like any of the NY sports, and I HATE Boston.
    MSG is the most famous arena in the world! They don't make DVD's about the show for no reason. Ask any performer/artist/band and they'll tell you MSG is the best. Why? It's New York City baby.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    pj0705 wrote:
    Im sure the crowds are great, I wont dispute, but honestly, I havent seen anything too special in any of the past setlists. Yes, I know about Breath in 98. I just think they have uninspired setlists. I fully expect the 2 Boston shows to have more unique setlists as per the usual, but everyone will be raving how they shook the garden during Evenflow.

you've obviously never saw a Pearl Jam show (or any show) at Madison Square Garden
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    I HATE Boston.

i don't hate New York, just the idiots that think they are special because they are from New York.
  • Options
    i don't hate New York, just the idiots that think they are special because they are from New York.

hehe
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    pj0705 wrote:
    You are right...I'm grumpy because we are in first place and just won a World Series.

what's this "we" business? that's always been a pet-peeve of mine: people who talk about their favorite sports teams using "we." "We beat the Yankees last week." "We're in first place." no...you're not. the team is
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    QballQball Posts: 283
    I am a Bostonian and have to say that MSG 1 03 was the greatest show I have ever seen. I've watched the dvd 100 times and it still doesn't compare to being there that night. I've seen a bunch of great shows in Boston and I love my home town but that show was like no other. I thought night 2 wasn't that great though. Whether you are from Boston, LA or Guam, if you weren't there, you don't get it. I know that sounds high schoolish but it's true.
    Also, The Boston Garden is the only sports arena in the world that could've compared to MSG. I haven't felt the mystique of the B. Garden for many years and then when I stepped in MSG it was back. My feet stuck to the floor and you could feel the history of the building.
    Also f*ck all you tools arguing about sports. This is a PJ forum. Who gives a sh*t about how many titles you have, if the yanks are in last place, or the patriots blew it. It's about the music. My family has had bruins, pats, celtics, and sox season tickets for over 30 years and I could care less what any of you New Yorkers or Bostonians think about any of our teams.
  • Options
    Qball wrote:
    I am a Bostonian and have to say that MSG 1 03 was the greatest show I have ever seen. I've watched the dvd 100 times and it still doesn't compare to being there that night. I've seen a bunch of great shows in Boston and I love my home town but that show was like no other. I thought night 2 wasn't that great though. Whether you are from Boston, LA or Guam, if you weren't there, you don't get it. I know that sounds high schoolish but it's true.

fucking traitor!! :D:D
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Here's what I'm going to have to do to see the MSG 2 show: I will be heading to the Port Authority to take a bus back upstate right after the show (like running in time to catch it, probably having to leave before YL), sleeping (I hope) on the bus for 4+ hours, then driving 3 more, further upstate, in time to get home to see my daughter's last day of school show on 6/26 at 8am. I will have been in the city a total of 6 hours, with about 8 hours traveling on each side. My point is I probably wouldn't do this to get to a show in Boston. But I know there's people who love Boston, and Boston shows (I saw a great one there - the one in 04 where Howard Zinn showed up) so yeah we should try to all get along!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    i cant wait to see what its like to see a show at MSG. i grew up watching sng remains the same, i know the arena has a history and a vibe that will be untouchable......im excited. i think it will live up to everything.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18