Options

Msg=overrated

pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Im sure the crowds are great, I wont dispute, but honestly, I havent seen anything too special in any of the past setlists. Yes, I know about Breath in 98. I just think they have uninspired setlists. I fully expect the 2 Boston shows to have more unique setlists as per the usual, but everyone will be raving how they shook the garden during Evenflow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Um, Crown of Thorns?

Plus it's no secret that New Yorkers are better people in the eyes of God than Bostoners. It's true. I read about it. In a book. It's called the bible.
    member number: 198,xxx
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    you sound like a grumpy sox fan :)
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    you sound like a grumpy sox fan :)

You are right...I'm grumpy because we are in first place and just won a World Series.

I'm just saying, everyone is gobbling the MSG shows like Ed is going be flying around the arena like Peter Pan...I just dont get it.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    I hope each show is unique in its own way.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    pj0705 wrote:
    You are right...I'm grumpy because we are in first place and just won a World Series.

I'm just saying, everyone is gobbling the MSG shows like Ed is going be flying around the arena like Peter Pan...I just dont get it.

No, I think Madison Square Garden is just a special place in the greatest city in the World. I'm actually more psyched about the Beacon, though
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Soooo... if the crowd is great and shakes the stage to the point that the band gets freaked out the show is over rated because the setlist isn't 'inspired?' That, to me, is the ultimate in fan snobbery. Ed controls the setlists, all the fans can do is enjoy it. The whole NY/Boston thing is tiring. Can't we all just get along???
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    pj0705 wrote:
    Im sure the crowds are great, I wont dispute, but honestly, I havent seen anything too special in any of the past setlists. Yes, I know about Breath in 98. I just think they have uninspired setlists. I fully expect the 2 Boston shows to have more unique setlists as per the usual, but everyone will be raving how they shook the garden during Evenflow.
    let me guess, you're not going to the msg shows
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    MSG Sound Quality is second to none
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Been to 10 shows myself...They ALL have been great....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Boston Fans = Blowhards
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Exhibit 1 in the case against judging shows by their setlists alone.

MSG is the most famous arena in the world (with the possible exception of Royal Albert Hall). Bands know that when they take the stage and they bring their "A" game.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    cuyler41 wrote:
    Boston Fans = Blowhards

And NY fans arent?
  • Options
    personally having been to a bunch of shows and 3 MSG shows, it's all about the vibe there...I think the Beacon is way overated...while the venue is legendary I think the show will be average

Randall's Island 96----NJ 1 '06
    14 shows and counting
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    Exhibit 1 in the case against judging shows by their setlists alone.

MSG is the most famous arena in the world (with the possible exception of Royal Albert Hall). Bands know that when they take the stage and they bring their "A" game.

I dont judge by setlists alone...but its obviously a big part of going to a Pearl Jam show. I'm not saying they dont bring their "A" game to MSG, but they bring their "A" game almost everywhere. Are you saying they mail it in sometimes in other cities?

Just because they are playing at a famous arena doesnt mean its going to be great.
  • Options
    The seating in MSG sucks and it isn't the greatest place to go see a sporting event or concert!!!

I think the perception of MSG's greatness comes from the fact that it is NYC and that just fuels the hype. Won't say the crowds are ever lame since I have been to several MSG shows and they have been pretty awesome each time.
  • Options
    pj0705 wrote:
    Are you saying they mail it in sometimes in other cities?

Not saying that at all. There's a lot of space between "mailing it in" and great.
    Just because they are playing at a famous arena doesnt mean its going to be great.

Just adds to the possibility.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    pj0705 wrote:
    I'll be there..so its gonna be a kick a$$ couple of shows
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    pj0705 wrote:
    I dont judge by setlists alone...but its obviously a big part of going to a Pearl Jam show. I'm not saying they dont bring their "A" game to MSG, but they bring their "A" game almost everywhere. Are you saying they mail it in sometimes in other cities?

Is this a good set list?

July 8, 2003 - Madison Square Garden; New York, NY
    Opening: Buzzcocks
    Ed, Jeff, and Mike with Buzzcocks: Why Can't I Touch It?
    Set List: Love Boat Captain, Last Exit, Save You, Green Disease, In My Tree, Cropduster, Even Flow, Gimme Some Truth, I Am Mine, Low Light, Faithfull, Wishlist/(Why Can't I Touch It?), Lukin, Grievance, 1/2 Full, Black, Spin The Black Circle, Rearviewmirror;
    1st encore: You Are, Thumbing My Way, Daughter/(With My Own Two Hands featuring Ben Harper), Crown Of Thorns, Breath, Better Man, Do The Evolution;
    2nd encore: Crazy Mary, Indifference with Ben Harper, Sonic Reducer with Tony from the Buzzcocks, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

No no no it isn't....

THIS is a good set list:

July 11, 2003 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, MA
    Opening: Sleater-Kinney
    Extra set before opening band: Long Road, Of The Girl, Sometimes, Off He Goes, All Those Yesterdays, Driftin', Thin Air, Sleight of Hand, Footsteps, All Or None, Parting Ways, Indifference;
    Set List: Can't Keep, Breakerfall, Brain of J., Spin the Black Circle, Ghost, Green Disease, Tremor Christ, Given To Fly, Nothing As It Seems, Cropduster, Faithfull, Why Go, Wishlist/(Why Can't I Touch It?), Leatherman, Nothingman, Better Man, 1/2 Full, Untitled, MFC, Blood;
    1st encore: Breath, Habit, Down, Mankind, U, Black, Jeremy;
    2nd encore: Arc, I Believe In Miracles, Know Your Rights, Fortunate Son with Sleater-Kinney, Rockin' in the Free World with Sleater-Kinney, One Note [literally play one note & leave];
    3rd encore: Yellow Ledbetter

Hhahhaha. Just jivin' Everyone have fun at all the shows!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    ITS THE BIG STAGE KID!!

MOST FAMOUS ARENA

not mansfield wherever that is ... deal w/ it

oh yea the dvd is called live at the garden
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    pj0705 wrote:
    ... I havent seen anything too special in any of the past setlists.

Has absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    once again the boston area cant deal with nyc ,, its getting old
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I think there is bias a bit here too. You're from Boston & will say Boston shows are better. I'm from the NY area & will say the MSg shows will be better.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    macci wrote:
    I think there is bias a bit here too. You're from Boston & will say Boston shows are better. I'm from the NY area & will say the MSg shows will be better.

THEY CANT GET OVER THE FACT THAT THEIR TOWN IS NO WHERE NEAR AS IMPORTANT AS NYC ;)
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    macci wrote:

Of course! You can't tell me it's not fun!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    I know that if I was taking the stage at MSG, the history of the place would be on my mind....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden#Concerts_and_live_performances
  • Options
    The new Rock in Newark is better than boston and NYC haha. jk. i can't wait for MSG II.
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3
    06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
    08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    THEY CANT GET OVER THE FACT THAT THEIR TOWN IS NO WHERE NEAR AS IMPORTANT AS NYC ;)

You New Yorkers are too easy...you get all riled up at the drop of a hat. You start hundreds of threads about how great MSG will be.

We on the other hand just sit back, relax, and take in all the epic shows through the years.
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    I know that if I was taking the stage at MSG, the history of the place would be on my mind....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden#Concerts_and_live_performances

While you guys are getting a history lesson at MSG, ill be getting a guitar lesson by McCready at the Tweeter..errr Comcast Center.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    you had to be there in 98 and 03
    yes great woods has had a tremendous run of shows
    but the energy of MSG is unmatched

something about the arena settting as opposed to the ampitheater
  • Options
    pj0705 wrote:
    You New Yorkers are too easy...you get all riled up at the drop of a hat. You start hundreds of threads about how great MSG will be.

We on the other hand just sit back, relax, and take in all the epic shows through the years.

im far from riled up

i love the fact that u cats wish u were nyc ,,its too funny

face it,,, never gonna be that way