Radiohead-in Rainbows

Comments

• i feel like downloading it illegally, deciding what it's worth, and then downloading it legally..
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    The entire album. You can't buy it per track.

Ahhhh, Oh, I didn't realize that. Interesting....

And I'm not directing this at you personally, DaytimeDilemma, but in my opinion, it would seem that $1-$2 seems pretty cheap to me. I'd be worried that karma might bite me in the ass for low-balling it like that.

I look at it is if music is art and the artist deserves to be paid for something that entertains me. Its not like they just pull the music out of their ass. I might be willing to spend as much as $20 for an act I really am loyal to, just to support them. To me, knowing the money goes to the band (and their associated management etc.) and not so much to record companies, I'm actually willing to pay more knowing it goes to my version of the intended recipient.

Is my thinking messed up? Sometimes I can think pretty narrowly...so maybe I'm missing something in my thought process. :)
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I paid zero for the download but with nexts weeks pay check I will be ordering the box set. So it all evens out.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    And I'm not directing this at you personally, DaytimeDilemma, but in my opinion, it would seem that $1-$2 seems pretty cheap to me. I'd be worried that karma might bite me in the ass for low-balling it like that.

Is my thinking messed up? Sometimes I can think pretty narrowly...so maybe I'm missing something in my thought process. :)
    depends. there are a lot of artists out there for example that I have lost interest in (ex. Tool). I have no desire to pay $12.00 for an up and coming Cd. I would however pay $2.00 to check it out.
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071001.WBmingram20071001122200/WBStory/WBmingram

Will Radiohead’s experiment lead others to try the “pay what you want” model? That’s difficult to say. As some have pointed out — including Cynthia Brumfield at IPDemocracy — Radiohead has a fan base that is likely willing to pay handsomely for its music, the same way that fans of Pearl Jam are willing to pay extra for high-quality downloads of the band’s music after live shows. Not every group is going to be able to make that work.”
  • Ahhhh, Oh, I didn't realize that. Interesting....

Low-balling? Are you kidding me? These guys are millionaires. They know damn right if they offer a name your own price, people will pay nothing. Like I said, when they tour I will see them and pay full admission. I'm taking advantage of their offer. Why not? I've bought everyone one of their other albums at regular price. They owe me.

But let me make this clear, if they were a new up-and-coming band, I would pay full price. But these guys don't need our money.
  • by the way folks, i sent an e-mail to waste saying i didnt receive my confirmation e-mail when i bought the discbox. Have no fears. They sent out another one, and if you're unsure of whether or not your transaction went smoothly, they told me to go here: http://www.inrainbows.com/Members

You'll be able to view your order here.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • lastexitlastexit Posts: 257
    i feel like downloading it illegally, deciding what it's worth, and then downloading it legally..
    I like your style.
    Low-balling? Are you kidding me? These guys are millionaires. They know damn right if they offer a name your own price, people will pay nothing. Like I said, when they tour I will see them and pay full admission. I'm taking advantage of their offer. Why not? I've bought everyone one of their other albums at regular price. They owe me.

But let me make this clear, if they were a new up-and-coming band, I would pay full price. But these guys don't need our money.

I would expect that to some degree, people will take advantage of the name your price thing, I guess that is human nature.

So, the fact that they are "millionaires" means you don't have to pay them for their art?
    "So, the fact that they are "millionaires" means you don't have to pay them for their art?"

Not if they say you don't have to.
  • I would expect that to some degree, people will take advantage of the name your price thing, I guess that is human nature.

So, the fact that they are "millionaires" means you don't have to pay them for their art?

Hey, I'll pay what they charge. They give me an option of paying nothing? Sign me up. If I was buying a physical CD, I'd pay, but this is a download so whatever.

Also, why do we have to put a price on art? Maybe they just want to give it away?
    Hey, I'll pay what they charge. They give me an option of paying nothing? Sign me up. If I was buying a physical CD, I'd pay, but this is a download so whatever.

Also, why do we have to put a price on art? Maybe they just want to give it away?

That's a good point. This is what I was trying to work through in my original question when I asked it. I just couldn't work through in my mind what they are thinking by potentially giving it away. Maybe they can't put a price on their art so want to give it away?

I think people deserve to be paid, but maybe they don't want my money for their music in this way.

My puzzler hurts. :D Slow day at work today, otherwise I probably wouldn't give two shits.
    Because they know a whole shitload of people are going to either feel guilty and pay at least a dollar (potentially more), pay a dollar/get it free and drop $80 for the discbox, pay at least a dollar/get it free and buy the physical cd when it's released in stores, or just pay a dollar or more (or nothing) and be done with it, etc...etc...
    It sure beats having your album leaked (which happens without fail nowadays no matter how big of a band you are) and getting nothing except CD sales from your hardcore fans.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i love how they announced this album less than 2 weeks from its release date

it's basically just gonna creep up on me and i'll wake up that day and realize that wow, i am about to listen to a new album from one of my favorite bands

that does not happen often...
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i went into HMV yesterday and saw all their other albums are down to £5 ($10) so i decided to pay that... its a pretty sublime idea all round... cut out the middle man, it stops shitty versions getting leaked, etc

i like Radiohead's new approach and i think we might be seeing other bands doing the same in the future.. perhaps not a 'pay what you want' scheme though... but direct download from their site and at a substantially lower price than CD's
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Low-balling? Are you kidding me? These guys are millionaires. They know damn right if they offer a name your own price, people will pay nothing. Like I said, when they tour I will see them and pay full admission. I'm taking advantage of their offer. Why not? I've bought everyone one of their other albums at regular price. They owe me.

They owe you!? I'm really shocked by that statement. What exactly do they owe you? Didn't YOU make all those conscious decisions to part with your cash and purchase Radiohead stuff?

I'm confused as to why they owe you anything! Please explain.
  • They owe you!? I'm really shocked by that statement. What exactly do they owe you? Didn't YOU make all those conscious decisions to part with your cash and purchase Radiohead stuff?

I'm confused as to why they owe you anything! Please explain.

Because I'm awesome.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Because I'm awesome.

what a coincidence , I’m awesome as well
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • WOW. The mods actually deleted the references to Big, Bold and Free gift that were made within the past hour or 2. God forbid we speak our mind. It's funny they would do that after the uproar over Ed getting censored at Lolla.
    This forum is so censored it's laughable.
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    WOW. The mods actually deleted the references to Big, Bold and Free gift that were made within the past hour or 2.

wow really? that sucks
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

It costs them money to create the art, so there should be a price!
    Big, Bold and Free
    Speaking of which, where the fuck is it?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    That's a good point. This is what I was trying to work through in my original question when I asked it. I just couldn't work through in my mind what they are thinking by potentially giving it away. Maybe they can't put a price on their art so want to give it away?

I think people deserve to be paid, but maybe they don't want my money for their music in this way.

My puzzler hurts. :D Slow day at work today, otherwise I probably wouldn't give two shits.

Simple economics...why pay for it if you have the option not to? If the band wasn't ok with people taking a free download, they would have at least set a minimum/discounted price. I'll probably grab the download gratis then buy the cd once it hits stores.
  • ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 250
    If i am correct, if you purchase the disc box, you still get the download with it - included in the package deal to be sent out DEC 3., and DL on 10/10/07. OR you can opt to just buy the download, which you can DL on OCT 10. If you pre-order the download you will be sent an activation code and downloiad details via email.

I purchased the discbox set, at first i was thinking WTF?!?! $80?!?!? but you get a lot of stuff - well worth it.
    Oh - and by the way, if anyone is really impatient there is already some of the music floating around somewhere...
    Previously known as Elzar
  • ok to the people that feel that they are low-balling the artist by paying 1-5bux for the download, don't. On the average sale of a cd from HMV or other music stores, the artist only recieves about $2/album sold. Here's a link that shows how the % breaksdown http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9026/Radiohead+Shocks+Record+Industry+With+Free+Download+of+New+Album/
    it's about 1/4 of the way down the page.
    So if you think about it like this, even if you are paying $0-1 for the download, radiohead will still make this up easily with the people purchasing the discbox (like myself) or even by those who are paying $5-10. I truly feel that Radiohead will make more money this way, and also remember that there will be a conventional release sometime next year which will help out aswell.
    I love this idea, not only for us, but for the band.

edit- btw, my favourite new song so far is Apreggi
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    is the pick your own price only for the pre-order? or will i be able to buy on oct. 10 and pick my price and download the whole thing? i don't much care to download half now and half later. seems like a weird way to hear an album.
    is the pick your own price only for the pre-order? or will i be able to buy on oct. 10 and pick my price and download the whole thing? i don't much care to download half now and half later. seems like a weird way to hear an album.

arent you supposed to be smart?

you can sign up right now, pay whatever you wish right now, and then between now and Oct 10th you'll receive an email telling you your download code which you then use to download the whole album on Oct 10th.

simple pimple mahgrimple
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    dunkman wrote:
    arent you supposed to be smart?

you can sign up right now, pay whatever you wish right now, and then between now and Oct 10th you'll receive an email telling you your download code which you then use to download the whole album on Oct 10th.

simple pimple mahgrimple

i thought there was some talk of getting to download half now or something. what happens oct 10? they set a price?

im just kinda up in the air. im not a huge radiohead fan, but im curious and i want to support the experiment.

i am smart. i'm also lazy. why figure it out myself when i can get you to tell me? ;)
    i thought there was some talk of getting to download half now or something. what happens oct 10? they set a price?

im just kinda up in the air. im not a huge radiohead fan, but im curious and i want to support the experiment.

i am smart. i'm also lazy. why figure it out myself when i can get you to tell me? ;)

there is no price...

you can pre-order the download code and you pre-pay for it right there and then... i.e.

go to http://www.inrainbows.com
    click on digital pre-order
    pay 1 cent or $5 or $10
    receive email saying everythings finey-doo
    on October 10th use your new shiny passcode to go back onto the site and download the whole new album in its entirety