10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    wow!

I leave for one weekend and you children cannot behave!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Rolling Stones
    U2
    Nirvana
    Green Day
    Noblesville 6/03
    Toledo 10/04
    Grand Rapids 10/04
    Grand Rapids 5/06
    Cleveland 5/06
    Cincinnati 6/06
    *hopefully sometime before I die* Noblesville

Songs I'm hoping to hear live: Nothingman, In My Tree, Indifference, and Animal
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    ok.. I've attemtpted to se what's been discussed since my original post and basically this thread has been HIJACKED! (no surprise)

I reading some comments mid-thread about bands I never even include in my list..!

This board cracks me up...

Keep 'em coming...!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Yeah I agree with all of them except the Red Hot Chili's.There albums seem to get better and better.Well from the last 3 anyway.But Blood Sex... still my favourite.But I would probably put Radiohead as number 1.Sure they have done some good stuff like Ok Computer but the rest....But someone else's comment of putting tool on the list.Outrageous.10000 days is easily in my top 20 favourite albums
  • 1.oasis
    2.oasis
    3 Noel Gallagher
    4.liam Gallagher
    5.oasis
    6.u2
    7.bono
    8. All Of The Above
    9.QUEEN
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • GerriEGerriE Posts: 14
    Yeah I agree with all of them except the Red Hot Chili's.There albums seem to get better and better.Well from the last 3 anyway.But Blood Sex... still my favourite.But I would probably put Radiohead as number 1.Sure they have done some good stuff like Ok Computer but the rest....But someone else's comment of putting tool on the list.Outrageous.10000 days is easily in my top 20 favourite albums

Tool comment AMEN!
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I was never into KISS so, herewith: KISS
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
    cool, rearviewmirror on the radio
    1.oasis
    2.oasis
    3 Noel Gallagher
    4.liam Gallagher
    5.oasis
    6.u2
    7.bono
    8. All Of The Above
    9.QUEEN

agree with Oasis...both guys suck....can't stand their music or their over inflated egos.
  • Metallica
    Pantera
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    AFI
    Nickelback
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Coldplay
  • queen???????!!!!!

no fucking way.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    queen???????!!!!!

no fucking way.

Imo there is not a 2nd band who sound like Queen...

Queen was my first love :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,842
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    well the fact that these four are pretty much the only people who I think deserve the massive amount of hype they get I have to disagree. And since you said that the foo fighters are better than Nirvana is laughable and pretty much discredits your whole argument, everything the Foos have done sounds the fucking same, it's all pretty ok but I mean if you've heard on album you've heard them all. As for cultural influence and effect on music well there's a reason that Dave Grohl is always going to be known as the guy from Nirvana.

I think if you ask the average music fan on the street, 95% of them would first mention that he is the frontman for the Foo Fighters. Probably higher. Remember, he was a drummer in Nirvana. Nobody fucking cares about drummers outside of hardcore fans.
    I think if you ask the average music fan on the street, 95% of them would first mention that he is the frontman for the Foo Fighters. Probably higher. Remember, he was a drummer in Nirvana. Nobody fucking cares about drummers outside of hardcore fans.

Then I guess that makes me a hardcore fan!!!! Drummers rock!!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    locked wrote:
    06: Bruce Springsteen
    (see comments above)

Bathgate66 wrote:
    could you please enlighten us all with said " comments " ? :confused:

indeed it has been hijacked.

but anywhoo,..
    since you are checking back,...
    can you please enlighten us ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Metallica = MOST OVERRATED BAND OF ALL TIME
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee

Yeah, they have like one maybe two good songs. I agree with you.
    Cock Fight.

From Black to present I agree with you!!!

Thought they were incredible up to Black.

Master of Puppets=incredible album
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    locked wrote:
    ok.. I've attemtpted to se what's been discussed since my original post and basically this thread has been HIJACKED! (no surprise)

I reading some comments mid-thread about bands I never even include in my list..!

This board cracks me up...

Keep 'em coming...!

Sorry locked! :o

Tried to stick to the subject at hand, was just a bit chatty over the weekend. I'll try not to do it again. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    Jeanie wrote:
    I so love Nothing Else Matters on that album, and Hero! Actually might put em on now! Remind me again about Michael Kamen? He's done other stuff I think I know this.

Learning guide sounds awesome lucy! Be very happy to give it a go if you don't mind of course! :)
    Thanks again

Aaaah, there it is...................Hero.......................:)

michael kamen also did pink floyd's 'The Wall' album......that's all i know off the top of my head, i'm sure he did shitloads more stuff
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
    bigmuzz wrote:
    michael kamen also did pink floyd's 'The Wall' album......that's all i know off the top of my head, i'm sure he did shitloads more stuff

So he did bigmuzz!! Just looking at the cover sleave now!! :)

I have heard his name on more than one occassion. I'll remember which particular effort I'm thinking of soon enough. Thanks though! Hate having stuff rumbling around unresolved in there!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    locked wrote:
    IMO:
    in order of outrageously excessive amount of praise:

10: Radiohead
    (WTF do critics rave about these guys..? I'm not hearing it Besides "Creep"... I can't recall a good thing they've put out.. )

09: The Grateful Dead
    (Unlike Pearl Jam, hearing them "live" does not make a difference.. they still sound like a bad country band to me)

08: Bob Dylan (this is too easy!)

07: The Beatles
    (I LOVE The Beatles but does Rolling Stone have to pick EVERY Album they made as the greatest of all time..?)

06: Bruce Springsteen
    (see comments above)

05: David Bowie

04: Sting
    (this f*cker wins grammy after grammy with sh*t solo albums, and this is coming from a long time Police fan.. he's just "mailing it in" at this point)

03: Red Hot Chili Peppers
    (anyone else think they seem like a skit from an old SNL episode? I can't take their music serious..)

02:The Beach Boys
    (How do they even qualify as "rock"?? this is soundtrack music to 50"s surfer movies..)

01: Nirvana
    (bring it on folks ...but Kurt Cobain is not the voice of a generation... I think the Foo Fighters have produced better music than anything he put together before Courtney had him .. well.. you decide.. )

Well locked, I pretty much agree with you on all counts. Except for Bob Dylan, who I don't think is rock anyway, more folk. And the Beach Boys, who I agree, clearly are not in the ROCK category. Both are favs of mine, but not to everyone's taste I'm sure. :)
    I would say that there are one or two songs from all of the others you have listed that I like. A few of them are definitely suffering from overplay to my ears. And whilst I wouldn't dismiss any of your list as shite, I agree that they are overated. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift

Master of Puppets=incredible album

Big tick and elephant stamp!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jeanie wrote:
    Big tick and elephant stamp!! :)

Hey, isn't a girls award a free manicure ??
    Michael Kamen was teh conductor of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, and obviously worked with a few rock acts at times. I'd have to do some research to remember more.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Hey, isn't a girls award a free manicure ??
    Michael Kamen was teh conductor of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, and obviously worked with a few rock acts at times. I'd have to do some research to remember more.

Manicure would be good!! :D

Yeah, I'm thinking somebody big worked with him. Like somebody important to me! I'm gonna kick myself when I remember!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    MICHAEL KAMEN (from wikipedia)

Michael Kamen (April 15, 1948 – November 18, 2003) was an American composer (especially of film scores), orchestral arranger, orchestral conductor, song writer, and session musician.

Kamen was born in New York City, USA and studied at the High School of Music & Art in New York (now Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts), then at Juilliard's School for Music Dance and Drama in New York, where he learned to play the oboe.

He founded the New York Rock & Roll Ensemble in the late 1960s, which played classical-rock music presaging bands such as Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). Kamen played oboe and keyboards as well as composing. One of his songs Sing Lady Sing, was renamed Them Changes and parlayed into a hit by Buddy Miles.

He worked briefly with Leonard Bernstein, when his rock ensemble appeared at one of Bernstein's concerts for young people.

Kamen became a highly-sought arranger in the realms of pop and rock music. In fact in Great Britain he was among an illustrious and small group of arrangers whose names constantly appeared on popular releases by major artists. His contemporaries in this field included Academy Award winner Anne Dudley, Richard Niles, and Nick Ingman. His successes include his work with Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Roger Waters (he is one of the few people to have been invited to work with both former Pink Floyd members, after their acrimonious split), Queen, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, David Bowie, Eurythmics, Queensrÿche, Rush, Metallica, Herbie Hancock, The Cranberries, Bryan Adams, Sting and Kate Bush. For Bush, Kamen delivered a notable tour-de-force when he scored "Moments of Pleasure" from her The Red Shoes album, substantially building upon a simple piano theme Ms. Bush had composed.

In 1990 Kamen joined many other guests for Roger Waters' massive performance of The Wall in Berlin.

In 2002 he was part of the Concert for George as string conductor.

Kamen wrote eleven ballets, a saxophone concerto, and provided scores for the films such as For Queen and Country, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Highlander, X-Men, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, Licence to Kill, the Lethal Weapon & Die Hard series, Mr. Holland's Opus, Splitting Heirs, and many others. To this day the overture from Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves is used by Morgan Creek Productions as their identifying theme. He also composed scores for both the From the Earth to the Moon and Band of Brothers series on HBO. He was nominated for two Academy Awards and won three Grammy Awards, two Golden Globes, two Ivor Novello Awards, an Annie and an Emmy. In television, his best known work was on the 1985 BBC Television serial Edge of Darkness, on which he collaborated with Eric Clapton to write the score. The pair were awarded with a British Academy Television Award for Best Original Television Music for their work. Kamen also worked with heavy metal giants Metallica, on a two day concert that was held in Berkeley, California, with the San Francisco Symphony. This S&M collaboration was a breakthrough for both music and the fans; the album went on to go multi-platinium in 2001.

Kamen formed a partnership with songwriting duo Bryan Adams and Robert John "Mutt" Lange in the 1990's and the three of them wrote 5 songs together. The success of these songs was remarkable, three number one hits in the US, two Oscar nominations, a Grammy, 2 Ivor Novello's and untold record sales. The list of the songs include:

(Everything I Do) I Do It For You - from Prince Of Thieves
    All For Love - from The Three Musketeers
    Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman - from Don Juan De Marco
    Star - from Jack
    I'll Always Be Right There - written for 101 Dalmatians
    His involvement with Mr. Holland's Opus, a film about a frustrated composer who finds fulfillment as a high school music teacher, led Kamen to create The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation in 1996. The foundation supports music education through the donation of new and refurbished musical instruments to underserved school and community music programs and individual students in the United States. In 2005 the foundation created an emergency fund for schools and students affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Though diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1997, Mr. Kamen died from a heart attack in 2003. His last recorded work appeared on Bryan Adams's album Room Service where he played the oboe and wrote the orchestration to "I Was Only Dreamin". Kamen had also completed the charts for accompaniment to two songs on Kate Bush's album Aerial, which was released in November 2005. Some of Bush's fans, wowed by Kamen's scoring of "Moments of Pleasure" from Bush's 1993 album The Red Shoes, expressed gratititude when it became known that the work had been finished.

In 2004, Annie Lennox took the stage to accept the Academy Award for Best Original Song (her composition "Into the West" from The Return of the King) Before a highly charged crowd and in balance to much joy within the "Lord of the Rings" contingent, she dedicated her achievement to the memory of her dear friend Michael Kamen.

Michael Kamen is survived by his wife, Sandra Keenan-Kamen, and by his daughters, Sasha and Zoe.

so there ya go, there was a whole list of people he worked with!
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
    bigmuzz wrote:
    MICHAEL KAMEN (from wikipedia)

Michael Kamen (April 15, 1948 – November 18, 2003) was an American composer (especially of film scores), orchestral arranger, orchestral conductor, song writer, and session musician.

Kamen was born in New York City, USA and studied at the High School of Music & Art in New York (now Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts), then at Juilliard's School for Music Dance and Drama in New York, where he learned to play the oboe.

He founded the New York Rock & Roll Ensemble in the late 1960s, which played classical-rock music presaging bands such as Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). Kamen played oboe and keyboards as well as composing. One of his songs Sing Lady Sing, was renamed Them Changes and parlayed into a hit by Buddy Miles.

He worked briefly with Leonard Bernstein, when his rock ensemble appeared at one of Bernstein's concerts for young people.

Kamen became a highly-sought arranger in the realms of pop and rock music. In fact in Great Britain he was among an illustrious and small group of arrangers whose names constantly appeared on popular releases by major artists. His contemporaries in this field included Academy Award winner Anne Dudley, Richard Niles, and Nick Ingman. His successes include his work with Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Roger Waters (he is one of the few people to have been invited to work with both former Pink Floyd members, after their acrimonious split), Queen, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, David Bowie, Eurythmics, Queensrÿche, Rush, Metallica, Herbie Hancock, The Cranberries, Bryan Adams, Sting and Kate Bush. For Bush, Kamen delivered a notable tour-de-force when he scored "Moments of Pleasure" from her The Red Shoes album, substantially building upon a simple piano theme Ms. Bush had composed.

In 1990 Kamen joined many other guests for Roger Waters' massive performance of The Wall in Berlin.

In 2002 he was part of the Concert for George as string conductor.

Kamen wrote eleven ballets, a saxophone concerto, and provided scores for the films such as For Queen and Country, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Highlander, X-Men, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, Licence to Kill, the Lethal Weapon & Die Hard series, Mr. Holland's Opus, Splitting Heirs, and many others. To this day the overture from Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves is used by Morgan Creek Productions as their identifying theme. He also composed scores for both the From the Earth to the Moon and Band of Brothers series on HBO. He was nominated for two Academy Awards and won three Grammy Awards, two Golden Globes, two Ivor Novello Awards, an Annie and an Emmy. In television, his best known work was on the 1985 BBC Television serial Edge of Darkness, on which he collaborated with Eric Clapton to write the score. The pair were awarded with a British Academy Television Award for Best Original Television Music for their work. Kamen also worked with heavy metal giants Metallica, on a two day concert that was held in Berkeley, California, with the San Francisco Symphony. This S&M collaboration was a breakthrough for both music and the fans; the album went on to go multi-platinium in 2001.

Kamen formed a partnership with songwriting duo Bryan Adams and Robert John "Mutt" Lange in the 1990's and the three of them wrote 5 songs together. The success of these songs was remarkable, three number one hits in the US, two Oscar nominations, a Grammy, 2 Ivor Novello's and untold record sales. The list of the songs include:

(Everything I Do) I Do It For You - from Prince Of Thieves
    All For Love - from The Three Musketeers
    Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman - from Don Juan De Marco
    Star - from Jack
    I'll Always Be Right There - written for 101 Dalmatians
    His involvement with Mr. Holland's Opus, a film about a frustrated composer who finds fulfillment as a high school music teacher, led Kamen to create The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation in 1996. The foundation supports music education through the donation of new and refurbished musical instruments to underserved school and community music programs and individual students in the United States. In 2005 the foundation created an emergency fund for schools and students affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Though diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1997, Mr. Kamen died from a heart attack in 2003. His last recorded work appeared on Bryan Adams's album Room Service where he played the oboe and wrote the orchestration to "I Was Only Dreamin". Kamen had also completed the charts for accompaniment to two songs on Kate Bush's album Aerial, which was released in November 2005. Some of Bush's fans, wowed by Kamen's scoring of "Moments of Pleasure" from Bush's 1993 album The Red Shoes, expressed gratititude when it became known that the work had been finished.

In 2004, Annie Lennox took the stage to accept the Academy Award for Best Original Song (her composition "Into the West" from The Return of the King) Before a highly charged crowd and in balance to much joy within the "Lord of the Rings" contingent, she dedicated her achievement to the memory of her dear friend Michael Kamen.

Michael Kamen is survived by his wife, Sandra Keenan-Kamen, and by his daughters, Sasha and Zoe.

so there ya go, there was a whole list of people he worked with!

OMG! :eek:
    Bigmuzz you are a legend!! :D
    All the bells are ringing now!! Thank you so much! :)
    I've got tonnes of those songs and movies. And I can even remember Annie Lennox making that dedication. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    my number one would be nirvana also it takes me courage to admit it on this forum too.
  • metallica by far, although i can stand '...and justice for all' the album.

when people associate nirvana with the best band in the seattle/grunge period it winds me up. so for that reason that could be put in here.

looks like these two are coming up quite abit ^
    Blyss wrote:
    my number one would be nirvana also it takes me courage to admit it on this forum too.

:) You can stand up with me Blyss! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift