10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Apocrypha wrote:
    metallica by far, although i can stand '...and justice for all' the album.

when people associate nirvana with the best band in the seattle/grunge period it winds me up. so for that reason that could be put in here.

looks like these two are coming up quite abit ^

Watch the documentary part of teh S&M DVD where you see how that concert was put together, then watch teh versions on MOP and One on there, and then if you still think they are over-rated, I would love to hear what other group you think has ever done anything more complex or better .
    Music is not a competetion.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Pantera

i don´t think so, Pantera was the biggest metal band of 90´s, you know what it means: they survived grunge and numetal/hardcore movements... also, they were/are great and well respected musicians too...

overated: iron maiden, 80% of their famous career was because EDDIE...good marketing work fellas....
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Live.

Hanson.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    parel jam wrote:
    Live.

Hanson.

strange, id say hanson is under-rated for the same reasons as silverchair... they were little kids when they released a "flavor of the moment" album, but then went on to mature into a pretty decent act. hanson's not brilliant, but their later albums were much better than the teenage mmmbop crap that made them famous.
  • In no particular order.

Jeff Ament
    Stone Gossard
    Mike McCready
    Eddie Vedder
    Matt Cameron
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    bigmuzz wrote:

BUT amnesiac sucks hard.

i strongly disagree

pyramid song
    you and whose army
    i might be wrong
    knives out
    morning bell
    life in a glasshouse

those 5 songs are nothing short of brilliant. go listen
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    Sting sucks big time
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    i love people who think that a subjective opinion has any sort of relation to intelligence.

This is SO true. How come everyone has a go at everyone just for saying their opinion... I mean, some people say the Beatles are overrated, but 150million+ records sold tells you that to those 150million fuckers they're obviously not overrated.

As for Radiohead, I'd like to tell you to rot in hell for saying they're overrated, but then again, it's not a fact, it's just an opinion.

I view these threads as a sort of gathering of statistics, and not so much as an open ended debate...

Anywho, they're still entertaining...
    Oh, and I should add the "Creep" is Radiohead's worst song ever. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't base your views on Radiohead from "Creep".... please?
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Radiohead is ok.........I just don't get where these analogies are coming from that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.......Kind of like all of the grandiose comparisons you use to hear a few years ago about oasis being the next Beatles!!!

Those comparisons were made by the Gallagher brothers themselves... Talk about being a megalomaniac.
    yes, but there are also many of them will never admit that they are capable of producing anything that is short of genius. kinda like a lot of the morons over at the porch who think pearl jam doesn't have a single song that isn't AMAZING. those fans annoy me by any band, but it seems like the portion of radiohead fans in this camp is higher than most.

HEY! I'm one of the morons at the porch! I take that personally :(
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    hmm in no real order

beach boys
    pink floyd
    grateful dead
    queen

i'm sorry but those who say Beatles...simply ignorant my friends
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    glasshouse wrote:
    i strongly disagree

pyramid song
    you and whose army
    i might be wrong
    knives out
    morning bell
    life in a glasshouse

ive listened. they're FAR short of brilliant. but knives out is pretty good. morning bell sucks. and im pretty sure life in a glasshouse is not even a song.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    glasshouse wrote:
    i strongly disagree

pyramid song
    you and whose army
    i might be wrong
    knives out
    morning bell
    life in a glasshouse

Those songs are great, i like amnesiac a lot, even though its my least favourite radiohead album.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • locked wrote:
    IMO:

09: The Grateful Dead
    (Unlike Pearl Jam, hearing them "live" does not make a difference.. they still sound like a bad country band to me)

Grateful Dead may not be everyones type of music, but that shouldn't qualify them as being overrated....they have put out many great peices of music, with a loyal following that still exists today. They have influenced such bands as String Cheese Incident, who are also vey talented at what they do.
    Up here so high the sky I scrape...

Lexington-4/21/03
    Cincinnatti-6/24/06
    Denver-7/02/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
  • 1. U2
    2. U2
    3. U2
    4. U2
    5. U2
    6. U2
    7. U2
    8. The Rolling Stones
    9. The Rolling Stones
    10. The Smiths

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would remove The Smiths.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    Limp Bizkit.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    locked wrote:
    I'm not hearing it Besides "Creep"...

there's your problem, thinking that Creep is the best song they have done...

i guess i'm not seeing or haven't seen all the Radiohead articles, headlines, commercials, etc that you have...they are a good band.

how you left U2 off this list i don't know.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    brainofPJ wrote:
    there's your problem, thinking that Creep is the best song they have done...

i guess i'm not seeing or haven't seen all the Radiohead articles, headlines, commercials, etc that you have...they are a good band.

how you left U2 off this list i don't know.

here's my problem ... seeing all the Radiohead articles, headlines, commercials, saying that they are a good band.
    IMO, "the emperor has no clothes.."

once again IMO.. U2's only missteps were "Zuropa" and "Popmart"...
    They turned it around in 2001 with "All you can't leave behind"..
    anyone who hasd watched the "Live from Boston" Dvd can attest to that..

Relax, this is all about personal perspectives..
    No one's right.. No one's wrong..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    U2 are a horrible band IMO.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    parel jam wrote:
    Limp Bizkit.

Dont think they have one fan anymore so they arent rated at all
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Tool
    Radiohead
    The Rolling Stones
    Rush
    Dave Matthews Band
    The Smiths
    The Stone Roses
    Creed
    Santana
    Linkin Park
    The Strokes
    Every single emo band that is popular and getting good reviews
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • donravendonraven Posts: 139
    parel jam wrote:
    My #1: Simply Red - man, I hate this band!!

* Franz Ferdinand - like most new britpop
    * I have to mention Nickelback
    * shitty American punk-pop bands like Good Charlotte, Sum 41 and so on.

Sum 41 is Canadian but , I agree
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • bob marley
    led zeppelin
    THE BEATLES
    nirvana
    the stones
    sublime

Thats all I got for now. I listen to all of those but must say that they are way overated.
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
    how about The Wiggles?

a total rip off of the Monkeys, yes?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • 1. Nirvana- They weren't amazingly talented musicians, lyricists, or songwriters, nor were they the fathers of the Seattle music scene.

2. Radiohead- They put me to sleep and bore me to tears. I hate Thom Yorke's voice and their monotonous melodies.

3. The Rolling Stones- Don't get me wrong. These guys wrote some awesome songs. However, I certainly don't think they're all that they're cracked up to be.

4. The Beatles- I just could never get into them.

5. Dream Theater- Sounds like the greatest musicians that ever existed trying to outplay each other...with the exception of the "Awake" album, which kicks massive amounts of ass.

6. Lamb of God- Pantera ripoffs...hands down. Opeth whooped them at Gigantour.

7. Johnny Cash- Sorry folks. I don't see it.

8. Eric Clapton- Good guitar player...but only in Blind Faith and Cream. His solo work sucks in my opinion.

9. Mayhem- Glorified noise.

10. The Clash- Meh.
    I'll cut you in.

1. Nirvana- They weren't amazingly talented musicians, lyricists, or songwriters, nor were they the fathers of the Seattle music scene.

2. Radiohead- They put me to sleep and bore me to tears. I hate Thom Yorke's voice and their monotonous melodies.

3. The Rolling Stones- Don't get me wrong. These guys wrote some awesome songs. However, I certainly don't think they're all that they're cracked up to be.

5. Dream Theater- Sounds like the greatest musicians that ever existed trying to outplay each other...with the exception of the "Awake" album, which kicks massive amounts of ass.

Agree 100% on these ones..
    I forgot about Dream Theater too.
    Good post!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    1. Nirvana- They weren't amazingly talented musicians, lyricists, or songwriters, nor were they the fathers of the Seattle music scene.

4. The Beatles- I just could never get into them.

6. Lamb of God- Pantera ripoffs...hands down. Opeth whooped them at Gigantour.

8. Eric Clapton- Good guitar player...but only in Blind Faith and Cream. His solo work sucks in my opinion.

9. Mayhem- Glorified noise.

10. The Clash- Meh.

Agree with alot you said, but can't agree that KC wasnt a good songwriter.

Also Dave Grohl is probably my fav drummer.... so yeah, everything but your Nirvana post is good, lol.
    locked wrote:
    Agree 100% on these ones..
    I forgot about Dream Theater too.
    Good post!
    Oh, I hate Dream Theater too...mwehh!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • locked wrote:
    how about The Wiggles?

a total rip off of the Monkeys, yes?

LOL! YES!

And I totally agree with whoever said Nirvana.
    Cock Fight.