10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    This is my take on Pearl Jam

im 100% with you, at least insofar as the people around here. i dont think pearl jam is quite the critic's darling radiohead is though.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    i can name a half dozen bands whose b-sides collections rival their studio albums. radiohead's on amnesiac are nothing more than a curiosity. and here you prove my point... it is essentially a b-sides album but they released it and touted it as the new radiohead album. they didnt consider it a b-sides album, they felt it was a proper album (becos thom's ego knows no bounds). it was radiohead's fans who took to framing it as a b-sides album to justify the fact that it wasn't exactly a compelling listen. it was clearly a weak link in the chain so they tried to jutify it by saing "it's only a b-sides album" when it was never really intended as such. it was the follow up to kid a. the fact that most of the songs came from the same sessions means nothing. nobody says 'let it be' is the b-sides album from the 'abbey road' sessions.

What do you mean they touted it as a new album? It wasn't promoted or toured for. There wasn't a big deal made about it at all. And it was better than 99% of music out at the time. Where are you getting your info?
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    I gotta agree.. I think the Foo are way better than Nirvana (and I really like Nirvana..). Their last record is hit or miss, but the self titled and TCATS were better than anything Nirvana did. I don't think Kurt could write a song as good as "Everlong".

Cannot agree more
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • im not. i like them. im just looking to point out that they are not infallible and that people kiss their ass even when they release mediocre albums.

i also edited that post to explain some of my issues with the whole kid a/amnesiac releases.

And people dont do this with Pearl Jam???....of course we overrate the bands that mean the most to us, that's because we love them...
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Is this the thread whrere I have permission to dump on THE BEATLES, as being the most over-rated, trite, pointless, boring, hyped up, sappy, crappy rubbish ever foisted on a gullible buying public ??
    Let me tell you what I really think !!
    Just cos thry wus popular menas nothing, so was the tulip futures boom, and look how much substance that had in the long run.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    I only agree with red hot chilli peppers being overrated, even though BSSM and Californication are good cds. Beatles overrated??? Poor kid
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Is this the thread whrere I have permission to dump on THE BEATLES, as being the most over-rated, trite, pointless, boring, hyped up, sappy, crappy rubbish ever foisted on a gullible buying public ??
    Just cos thry wus popular menas nothing, so was the tulip futures boom, and look how much substance that had in the long run.

I agree with some of that. The reasons I think the beatles are the most overrated band is simple. Just because they were the first to do a lot of things, does NOT!! let me stress that again DOES NOT mean they are the best.

To me that seems to be a big argument when people discus why they are so good and worthy of the hype.

Ok end rant....you can all go back to fighting over RadioHead, I'll just go off and listen to some ColdPlay and My Chemical Romance(yes it was mentioned at least once in this thread)
  • HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
    I gotta agree.. I think the Foo are way better than Nirvana (and I really like Nirvana..). Their last record is hit or miss, but the self titled and TCATS were better than anything Nirvana did. I don't think Kurt could write a song as good as "Everlong".

FOO FIGHTERS, the single most boring band I have ever had the misfortune of seeing live, imo!
  • Is this the thread whrere I have permission to dump on THE BEATLES, as being the most over-rated, trite, pointless, boring, hyped up, sappy, crappy rubbish ever foisted on a gullible buying public ??
    You obviously never listened to The White Album or Sgt Peppers.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Hippyvik wrote:
    FOO FIGHTERS, the single most boring band I have ever had the misfortune of seeing live, imo!

Seen them live twice and they were two of the best gigs id ever been to.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    As far as overrated goes...

death cab for cutie
    sleater kinney
    virtually any indie band
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Radiohead blows. Somewhere someone decided their music was "genius", and everyone followed. I don't get it. I've given them a fair chance but the only conclusion I came up with was it was nothing more than some whiny Brit bullshit.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    culot4 wrote:
    Radiohead blows my mind.

Me too.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    whatever dude. i'm a musician, and there lies my allegiance with radiohead. they consistently blow my mind. but thom is pretty whiny, i'll give you that.

You're a musician, so what? I guess your ears are more trained to understand the brilliance of that ghoul rock.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Is this the thread whrere I have permission to dump on THE BEATLES, as being the most over-rated, trite, pointless, boring, hyped up, sappy, crappy rubbish ever foisted on a gullible buying public ??

Listen to ANY Beatles recording that was after John took his first hit of acid and Paul smoked his first joint.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • culot4 wrote:
    You're a musician, so what? I guess your ears are more trained to understand the brilliance of that ghoul rock.
    Exactly. Musicians can appreciate brilliant musicianship more than the average joe.

Just like a chef knows what it takes to make good food more than a guy who's cooking experience extends to microwaving soup.

"Make our day"
    Exactly. Musicians can appreciate brilliant musicianship more than the average joe.

Just like a chef knows what it takes to make good food more than a guy who's cooking experience extends to microwaving soup.

I like to blow into empty beer bottles and use them as a wind instrument. I guess that makes me a musician too.
  • culot4 wrote:
    I like to blow into empty beer bottles and use them as a wind instrument. I guess that makes me a musician too.
    If you're in tune. ;)

"Make our day"
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    rolling stones

pink floyd

pearljam ´´no code and riot act albums´´

radiohead

ben harper
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Tool. Yuck.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    tonadax wrote:

pearljam ´´no code

One of the most underated albums of any band ever.

but that doesn't mean the chef knows what tastes better to everyone out there in the world.

give me a plate of fried chicken over a tiny platter of the most cutting edge hip cuisine any day of the week.

just becos i dont cook doesn't mean i dont know good food when i taste it. likewise, just becos you play guitar doesn't mean you're a superior judge of how music sounds to someone else. and just becos i never bothered to learn to play doesn't mean i don't know a good tune when i hear it.

i hate pretentious musicians.
  • for me one of the most Overrated bands in h istory, the just so happen to be one of my favorites- Nirvana
    i eman sure they are greta but the media and other outlets make them out to be something so much more and i can never see it . i lvoe em to death but Kurt Cobain is not jesus

others that seem to be very over ratted are:
    Bob Dylan
    Rolling Stones
    Bruce Springsteen
    Van Halen
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • but that doesn't mean the chef knows what tastes better to everyone out there in the world.

i hate pretentious musicians.
    but he can sure as fuck appreciate the effort it took to make that food more.

"Make our day"
    but he can sure as fuck appreciate the effort it took to make that food more.

just becos it takes a lot of effort to make doesnt mean the final product is automatically wonderful. some meals can take all day to prepare and taste no better than a simple bowl of easy mac, no matter how many fancy spices the chef throws in. if they don't work well together then it's wasted effort.
  • just becos it takes a lot of effort to make doesnt mean the final product is automatically wonderful. some meals can take all day to prepare and taste no better than a simple bowl of easy mac, no matter how many fancy spices the chef throws in. if they don't work well together then it's wasted effort.
    But then again that leads us to subjectivity again :p

"Make our day"
    If someone serves me a plate of shit and calls it filet mignon I'll decide for myself if I need to say " Hey, this looks like shit! ". Just because I didn't make the meal doesn't mean I don't know what tastes good.
  • culot4 wrote:
    If someone serves me a plate of shit and calls it filet mignon I'll decide for myself if I need to say " Hey, this looks like shit! ". Just because I didn't make the meal doesn't mean I don't know what tastes good.
    You guys are getting bogged down in the crappy metaphor. It's common sense that a musician will appreciate good musicianship more. that's just the way it works. When you've been out there yourself you know what it takes.

"Make our day"
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    culot4 wrote:
    One of the most underated albums of any band ever.

yeah seriously, i can't believe someone would pick no code to be overrated. Or riot act for that matter.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    1. U2
    2. U2
    3. U2
    4. U2
    5. U2
    6. U2
    7. U2
    8. The Rolling Stones
    9. The Rolling Stones
    10. The Smiths
    Never in my life have I heard the Smiths described as overrated :O best band of the 80s in my opinion. what's not to like? Johnny Marr's guitar playing is beautiful, morrissey's lyrics are touching and funny at the same time, andy rourke is one of the most underrated bassists I've ever heard and you only have to listen to the Queen is dead to know the Mike Joyce was the truly overlooked member of that band. what don't you like about them?

I'll give you U2 though...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"