10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Never in my life have I heard the Smiths described as overrated :O best band of the 80s in my opinion. what's not to like? Johnny Marr's guitar playing is beautiful, morrissey's lyrics are touching and funny at the same time, andy rourke is one of the most underrated bassists I've ever heard and you only have to listen to the Queen is dead to know the Mike Joyce was the truly overlooked member of that band. what don't you like about them?

I'll give you U2 though...

I hear many people saying 'The smiths are the best band of the 80's'. The fact that anyone even RATES the smiths at all confuses me greatly! Loads of my friends love them, and talk about how great a lyricist Morrisey is, but i think his lyrics sound terrible, and his voice is so annoying. There are a couple of their songs that i like, but dont understand the hype with them at all.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    stu gee wrote:
    I hear many people saying 'The smiths are the best band of the 80's'. The fact that anyone even RATES the smiths at all confuses me greatly! Loads of my friends love them, and talk about how great a lyricist Morrisey is, but i think his lyrics sound terrible, and his voice is so annoying. There are a couple of their songs that i like, but dont understand the hype with them at all.
    of course you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree strongly. His voice isn't great but I don't mind it. I think his lyrics are BRILLIANT. I can understand why they wouldnt be everyone's cup of tea but come on, anyone who writes these lines has to be great! :D

"Spending warm summer days in doors,
    writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in luxembourg"

"Frankly Mr Shankly, this position I've held,
    it pays my way and it corrodes my soul
    oh I didn't realise that you wrote poetry
    (I didn't realise you wrote such bloody awful poetry)"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • U2
    Rush
    Kiss
    Beatles
    Sting
    Nirvana
    Coldplay
    Dixie Chicks
    Dave Matthews
    JAMES BLUNT!!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • tonadax wrote:
    rolling stones

pink floyd

pearljam ´´no code and riot act albums´´

radiohead

ben harper

Sorry...I have to add this........NO CODE!?!?!? ARE YOU INSANE!?!?!?
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    how the fuck is rush overrated?
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I think I just heard they beat Tool for heavy rock song of the year! :mad:

I pretty sure that's what I heard the DJ say. :eek:

How is that even possible?
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    I think I just heard they beat Tool for heavy rock song of the year! :mad:

I pretty sure that's what I heard the DJ say. :eek:

How is that even possible?

tool's not being good at all might have something to do with it.
    tool's not being good at all might have something to do with it.

Well regardless of your thoughts on Tool you can't seriously tell me that Wolfmother have added anything to music in recent times. It's all rehashed bullshit! Well that's what I hear anyway.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well regardless of your thoughts on Tool you can't seriously tell me that Wolfmother have added anything to music in recent times. It's all rehashed bullshit! Well that's what I hear anyway.

Hey Jeans, harsh language. True, teh Wolfies are hardly ground-breaking, but it's rock'n'roll and he has an honest wail to his voice. I don't mind the first half of teh album, but the second half just sounds like The White Stripes but wihout Jack's brilliance.
    I think they won cos of no competition !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Jeanie wrote:

I'd take Wolfmother over Tool any day. Sure, they aren't the most original band in the world, but at least they don't suck a la Tool.

Nah, that's harsh... Tool doesn't suck, they're just not my cup of tea.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:

I am a big Tool fan and I respect that even though they are not your cup of tea as you said that you also said that they do not suck. Obviously Tool does not suck, I agree that they are not for everyone but for some people to just blatantly say that they suck is beyond me.
    I am a big Tool fan and I respect that even though they are not your cup of tea as you said that you also said that they do not suck. Obviously Tool does not suck, I agree that they are not for everyone but for some people to just blatantly say that they suck is beyond me.

Lol. Well, I'll go ahead and say that I do agree that they don't suck, but they are INSANELY overrated, imo. that's just me though.

as for wolfmother vs tool, I don't know. I don't really like either of them.
    Hey Jeans, harsh language. True, teh Wolfies are hardly ground-breaking, but it's rock'n'roll and he has an honest wail to his voice. I don't mind the first half of teh album, but the second half just sounds like The White Stripes but wihout Jack's brilliance.
    I think they won cos of no competition !!

Hiya lucy!! How you doing? :) Yeah, I'm just a bit mystified by the hype surrounding Wolfmother. I don't hate them, just haven't heard anything from them yet that doesn't sound like something else I've already heard from several bands all mixed into the one song. It's very confusing. They certainly aren't the worst thing I've heard. And yeah, to be honest, I really have no idea who they were up against, not that I care too much about awards ceremonies anyway, but I will confess to loving Tool! Not that I even heard what song was nominated. So I guess what I'm waffling along and trying to say is, that I heard very little about the actual nominees, only that Wolfmother won. Now from an Aussie music stand point I guess that's a good thing, but I still think Wolfmother are over rated. So how's the weather there in QLD today? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    DOSW wrote:
    I'd take Wolfmother over Tool any day. Sure, they aren't the most original band in the world, but at least they don't suck a la Tool.

:D:D:D And I feel exactly the same way DOSW except it should read:

I'd take Tool over Wolfmother any day. Sure, they aren't the most original band in the world, but at least they don't suck a la Wolfmother! ;)

Nah, that's harsh........Wolfmother doesn't suck, they're just not my cup of tea! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    locked wrote:
    06: Bruce Springsteen
    (see comments above)

could you please enlighten us all with said " comments " ? :confused:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Jeanie wrote:
    Hiya lucy!! How you doing? :) Yeah, I'm just a bit mystified by the hype surrounding Wolfmother. I don't hate them, just haven't heard anything from them yet that doesn't sound like something else I've already heard from several bands all mixed into the one song. It's very confusing. They certainly aren't the worst thing I've heard. And yeah, to be honest, I really have no idea who they were up against, not that I care too much about awards ceremonies anyway, but I will confess to loving Tool! Not that I even heard what song was nominated. So I guess what I'm waffling along and trying to say is, that I heard very little about the actual nominees, only that Wolfmother won. Now from an Aussie music stand point I guess that's a good thing, but I still think Wolfmother are over rated. So how's the weather there in QLD today? :)

Yeah, prety true abut teh influences. It's all good here, busy as hell today, weather is blowing south -easterly, so ewe might get some swell this week
    Bought a new guitar on teh weekend, check it out on teh gearhead section.
    I totalyy missed teh Grammys but I haven't heard much in teh last year that rang my bell
    For over-rated I'm gonna vote for teh whole cookie monster metal scene. It al lsounds teh smae and teh vocals are pure shite. They all sound like they have Uruk-Hai stuck in teh back of their thrpoat, adn I don't know why they bother with lyrics cos it's just gargle gargel gargel !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry baout teh crap typing.
    Yeah, prety true abut teh influences. It's all good here, busy as hell today, weather is blowing south -easterly, so ewe might get some swell this week
    Bought a new guitar on teh weekend, check it out on teh gearhead section.
    I totalyy missed teh Grammys but I haven't heard much in teh last year that rang my bell
    For over-rated I'm gonna vote for teh whole cookie monster metal scene. It al lsounds teh smae and teh vocals are pure shite. They all sound like they have Uruk-Hai stuck in teh back of their thrpoat, adn I don't know why they bother with lyrics cos it's just gargle gargel gargel !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry baout teh crap typing.

Ah! Shhh!! Don't tell me about the surfing!! You're not trying to tell me about the surfing are? :eek: I really must get off my arse and get back out!! It's the complete lack of skill and the near drowning experiences that bother me the most!! haha! :D:D Oh and having to put up with giving my brother sooooo much ammunition to dis me with!! ;)
    New guitar? I will have to check it out. How cool!! I've pretty much given up trying to master my guitar. Which was Mum's anyway, and when she realized just how shit I was at it she promptly asked for it back!! :o
    I only heard the bizo about Wolfmother winning briefly on the jjj news at 1pm and if every other year is anything to go by we won't be seeing the Grammy's here until maybe March!! So cookie monster metal? :D:D:D:D Sounds funny!! :D Must have missed it! Not surprising! Hope catefrances doesn't read this post! She'll be all over me!! :D So crap typing? You ok? Or just tired today? No injuries to report right? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Ah! Shhh!! Don't tell me about the surfing!! You're not trying to tell me about the surfing are? :eek: I really must get off my arse and get back out!! It's the complete lack of skill and the near drowning experiences that bother me the most!! haha! :D:D Oh and having to put up with giving my brother sooooo much ammunition to dis me with!! ;)
    New guitar? I will have to check it out. How cool!! I've pretty much given up trying to master my guitar. Which was Mum's anyway, and when she realized just how shit I was at it she promptly asked for it back!! :o
    I only heard the bizo about Wolfmother winning briefly on the jjj news at 1pm and if every other year is anything to go by we won't be seeing the Grammy's here until maybe March!! So cookie monster metal? :D:D:D:D Sounds funny!! :D Must have missed it! Not surprising! Hope catefrances doesn't read this post! She'll be all over me!! :D So crap typing? You ok? Or just tired today? No injuries to report right? :)

Nah, just a crap typist plus MOndayititds, I spend all day tapping away making notes, but I am RUBBISH !! Being no good at guitar is no reason to quit, I've been at it for years and I'm average at best, but it keeps me off the streets. There are some pics of my namesake guitar there too, Lucy the Les Paul ( hence lucylespian). The new one is teh Gibbo BFG, creating quite a stir a the Les Paul forum, like a lot of the bands being discussed here, love em or hate, ya can only ignore em !!
    Nah, just a crap typist plus MOndayititds, I spend all day tapping away making notes, but I am RUBBISH !! Being no good at guitar is no reason to quit, I've been at it for years and I'm average at best, but it keeps me off the streets. There are some pics of my namesake guitar there too, Lucy the Les Paul ( hence lucylespian). The new one is teh Gibbo BFG, creating quite a stir a the Les Paul forum, like a lot of the bands being discussed here, love em or hate, ya can only ignore em !!

Mondayitis? :D Yeah, got a real bad dose of that myself! :eek:
    Making notes? You writing a novel? ;)
    I should have persevered. Maybe I'll have another go. Hands get too cramped up too easy though. I suspect the neck is a little too big for me. It's a Maton. Must be 40years old. A beautiful sounding guitar as long as I'm not at the strings!! :D
    Had a look on the thread, very nice. I'll go back and have a look at the Les Paul forum too. Bit slow today!

Yeah, normally I would ignore stuff I don't like and I've been watching this thread for a while but couldn't really think of anybody that annoys me enough musically to post. Well except maybe for Celine Dion and Mariah Carey but who's thinking about them? ;) Nah, mostly I just switch over, or turn off. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Mondayitis? :D Yeah, got a real bad dose of that myself! :eek:
    Making notes? You writing a novel? ;)
    I should have persevered. Maybe I'll have another go. Hands get too cramped up too easy though. I suspect the neck is a little too big for me. It's a Maton. Must be 40years old. A beautiful sounding guitar as long as I'm not at the strings!! :D
    Had a look on the thread, very nice. I'll go back and have a look at the Les Paul forum too. Bit slow today!

Yeah, normally I would ignore stuff I don't like and I've been watching this thread for a while but couldn't really think of anybody that annoys me enough musically to post. Well except maybe for Celine Dion and Mariah Carey but who's thinking about them? ;) Nah, mostly I just switch over, or turn off. :)

Small hands, you need an electric, they have nice soft strings too, perfect for girls. That Maton has probbaly got heavy strings on it, too much for a beginner. I only dropped in to this thread cos I saw your moniker and I felt like a yak. I work in a room with 4 walls and no window with lots of little time gaps, so forum chat is a bad habit.
    Did you have a look at the clip of Papa Het singing with AIC at RockAm Ring ?? I thought it was pretty good, but then I do love Papa Het.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    you aussie women gossip like desperate housewives...

So how come you keep finding us and commenting then? ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift

True, though I am a bloke, I am still a have-a-chat. Better to chat than to tear each other up over what "in" band got what "line up and eventually you will get one" self aggrandising industry award. Not as bad as the ARIA's though, where it's a struggle sometimes to find someone to give it to.
    Small hands, you need an electric, they have nice soft strings too, perfect for girls. That Maton has probbaly got heavy strings on it, too much for a beginner. I only dropped in to this thread cos I saw your moniker and I felt like a yak. I work in a room with 4 walls and no window with lots of little time gaps, so forum chat is a bad habit.
    Did you have a look at the clip of Papa Het singing with AIC at RockAm Ring ?? I thought it was pretty good, but then I do love Papa Het.

Gee! An electric? That could be a menace in my hands!! :D
    But you're right lucy, it does have heavy strings and a wide neck, it's been mentioned to me before. I just love the sound of it. It's such a beautiful guitar I really wanted to get it to make pretty sounds too! :)

Yeah, boring little cubicles can send you off tangent to chat!
    Good thing I never had access to the internet at work is all I can say!! :)
    Didn't see Papa Het, don't even know what that is. Best I be adding it to my homework list. Any suggestions? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Gee! An electric? That could be a menace in my hands!! :D
    But you're right lucy, it does have heavy strings and a wide neck, it's been mentioned to me before. I just love the sound of it. It's such a beautiful guitar I really wanted to get it to make pretty sounds too! :)

Yeah, boring little cubicles can send you off tangent to chat!
    Good thing I never had access to the internet at work is all I can say!! :)
    Didn't see Papa Het, don't even know what that is. Best I be adding it to my homework list. Any suggestions? :)

There was a thread here yesterday entitiled JAmes Hetfield, you are not LAyne Staley. It had a youtube link to a clip of JAmes on stage with AIC at teh Rock Am Ring singing "Would". The thread started was pissed at the performance, but I thought it was pretty good. The opinions were divided. I love Metallica, and thought JAmes did a credible job ith what must have been a pretty impromptu performance. Another guy was actually there and said it rocked.

BTW electric guitars are a menace, thats's what theya re for, chaos, anarchy and ruin !! LOL LOL!!!
    True, though I am a bloke, I am still a have-a-chat. Better to chat than to tear each other up over what "in" band got what "line up and eventually you will get one" self aggrandising industry award. Not as bad as the ARIA's though, where it's a struggle sometimes to find someone to give it to.

**Jeanie wipes her brow and visably relaxes!**

Phew!! Well that's such a relief to know lucy! If only you knew how difficult I've found it trying not to be gender specific in case I offended you!! :D

And I completely agree with you about the awards. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    There was a thread here yesterday entitiled JAmes Hetfield, you are not LAyne Staley. It had a youtube link to a clip of JAmes on stage with AIC at teh Rock Am Ring singing "Would". The thread started was pissed at the performance, but I thought it was pretty good. The opinions were divided. I love Metallica, and thought JAmes did a credible job ith what must have been a pretty impromptu performance. Another guy was actually there and said it rocked.

BTW electric guitars are a menace, thats's what theya re for, chaos, anarchy and ruin !! LOL LOL!!!

Yeah, seeing as how I'm still in the dark ages here with dial up, I miss most of the youtube and downloading. It's really frustrating. I love Metallica too. Went to see them at Myer Music Bowl last time they were in Melbourne. Early 2004 I think. And even though I was standing on the side of a cliff, in the pouring rain, feeling like a billy goat, it was still an awesome concert and well worth the pain! :D

Yes, chaos, anarchy and ruin! :D:D:D Maybe I should stick to air guitar and singing? ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    **Jeanie wipes her brow and visably relaxes!**

Phew!! Well that's such a relief to know lucy! If only you knew how difficult I've found it trying not to be gender specific in case I offended you!! :D

And I completely agree with about the awards. :)

Yeah, my moniker is a bit confusing, but i am sure I mentioned a wife at some stage, of course my name could mean that you thought I was a lesbian, that's pretty funny, I am laughing quite a lot at this point in case you are sondering.
    I don't do much youtube cos of the download time too, but I did cehck out Het, it's been a long time since any fresh Tallica, and I'm starting to hang a bit.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Do you ladies really think this is the place for your uninteresting private back and forth conversation?
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Do you ladies really think this is the place for your uninteresting private back and forth conversation?

No, not really, but I don't think we are either offending anyone, or obstructing the thread, so if you aren't interested I'm OK with that.