10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
edited February 2007 in Other Music
IMO:
in order of outrageously excessive amount of praise:

10: Radiohead
(WTF do critics rave about these guys..? I'm not hearing it Besides "Creep"... I can't recall a good thing they've put out.. )

09: The Grateful Dead
(Unlike Pearl Jam, hearing them "live" does not make a difference.. they still sound like a bad country band to me)

08: Bob Dylan (this is too easy!)

07: The Beatles
(I LOVE The Beatles but does Rolling Stone have to pick EVERY Album they made as the greatest of all time..?)

06: Bruce Springsteen
(see comments above)

05: David Bowie

04: Sting
(this f*cker wins grammy after grammy with sh*t solo albums, and this is coming from a long time Police fan.. he's just "mailing it in" at this point)

03: Red Hot Chili Peppers
(anyone else think they seem like a skit from an old SNL episode? I can't take their music serious..)

02:The Beach Boys
(How do they even qualify as "rock"?? this is soundtrack music to 50"s surfer movies..)

01: Nirvana
(bring it on folks ...but Kurt Cobain is not the voice of a generation... I think the Foo Fighters have produced better music than anything he put together before Courtney had him .. well.. you decide.. )
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i agree with pretty much everything but the beatles... they never made a mistake, not one in their entire career. yeah, it's occasionally annoying that they have 6 out of 10 of every top album list, but i think there's a decent argument for that. id put tool on there instead.

radiohead should be higher though. ive never heard of a band to got as much unquestioned ass-kissing as they get.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    radiohead should be higher though. ive never heard of a band to got as much unquestioned ass-kissing as they get.

lmao!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    My #1: Simply Red - man, I hate this band!!

* Franz Ferdinand - like most new britpop
    * I have to mention Nickelback
    * shitty American punk-pop bands like Good Charlotte, Sum 41 and so on.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    This thread is gonna get nasty - should be fun ;)

10) AC/DC
    9) Rolling Stones
    8) Pink Floyd
    7) Dave Matthews Band
    6) Metallica
    5) Soundgarden
    4) RHCP
    3) U2
    2) Rush
    1) Led Zeppelin

I agree with your list except: Radiohead (LOVE em), the Beatles (LOVE em), Bob Dylan, the Beach Boys (for Pet Sounds alone), David Bowie, Nirvana (LOVE em)......so I guess I really don't agree with your list at all ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I disagree with everything but the Beach Boys. They suck. Aerosmith should be on this list too.
    Be excellent to each other
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    locked wrote:

(Unlike Pearl Jam, hearing them "live" does not make a difference.. they still sound like a bad country band to me)

(I LOVE The Beatles but does Rolling Stone have to pick EVERY Album they made as the greatest of all time..?)

(anyone else think they seem like a skit from an old SNL episode? I can't take their music serious..)

(bring it on folks ...but Kurt Cobain is not the voice of a generation... I think the Foo Fighters have produced better music than anything he put together before Courtney had him .. well.. you decide.. )

I have to strongly disagree about these four from a personal standpoint. Grateful Dead isn't for everyone, I understand that. RHCP AND Nirvana seem generic to some people, I understand that too. If you love the Beatles though, why did you put them on your list?
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Wow. I'd agree with Sting, RHCP, and even Nirvana. But the rest of them? Maybe when you look at them as part of the musical landscape that exists today they don't seem that essential. But Dylan, the Dead, the Beatles? Look at the type of music/songwriting that was around before them and after them. Each of them did something new, or unheard of at the time and took music in a whole new direction.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    locked wrote:

(see comments above)

well the fact that these four are pretty much the only people who I think deserve the massive amount of hype they get I have to disagree. And since you said that the foo fighters are better than Nirvana is laughable and pretty much discredits your whole argument, everything the Foos have done sounds the fucking same, it's all pretty ok but I mean if you've heard on album you've heard them all. As for cultural influence and effect on music well there's a reason that Dave Grohl is always going to be known as the guy from Nirvana.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    Neil Young
    Van Halen
    Kiss
    Audioslave
    Jack Johnson

....They all have a strong legion of fans, and I have no idea why.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Todd76 wrote:

10) AC/DC
    9) Rolling Stones
    8) Pink Floyd
    7) Dave Matthews Band
    6) Metallica
    5) Soundgarden
    4) RHCP
    3) U2
    2) Rush
    1) Led Zeppelin

I agree with your list except: Radiohead (LOVE em), the Beatles (LOVE em), Bob Dylan, the Beach Boys (for Pet Sounds alone), David Bowie, Nirvana (LOVE em)......so I guess I really don't agree with your list at all ;)
    how many of these bands have you seen live in concert ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • merkinball wrote:
    Wow. I'd agree with Sting, RHCP, and even Nirvana. But the rest of them? Maybe when you look at them as part of the musical landscape that exists today they don't seem that essential. But Dylan, the Dead, the Beatles? Look at the type of music/songwriting that was around before them and after them. Each of them did something new, or unheard of at the time and took music in a whole new direction.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I'll give you Sting and the Beatles but that is about it.

the Beatles 1, maybe 2 in their list would work for me. Sgt. Peppers sure as hell isn't one of them.
  • Sting and RHCP are the only ones that even slightly resemble overrated

grow a brain
    hate was just a legend
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    Sure RHCP are overrated as fuck but Radiohead? Are you fucking kidding me? You can't be serious....
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Coldplay!!

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like Radiohead :o
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    how many of these bands have you seen live in concert ...

U2, RHCP, Dave Matthews Band, Rolling Stones, Soundgarden, Metallica, AC/DC.....thats it ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:

10) AC/DC
    9) Rolling Stones
    8) Pink Floyd
    7) Dave Matthews Band
    6) Metallica
    5) Soundgarden
    4) RHCP
    3) U2
    2) Rush
    1) Led Zeppelin

you can add Pearl JAM to that list...........
  • 1. U2
    2. U2
    3. U2
    4. U2
    5. U2
    6. U2
    7. U2
    8. The Rolling Stones
    9. The Rolling Stones
    10. The Smiths
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    great thread. (not)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Wow. Ok. I like threads like this. First of All I totally agree with the Nirvana thing. I have not heard a shittier band get so much hype.

Now I don't know about Bob Dylan being overrated. I mean I know he can't sing, but the man is an amazing song writer.

I get what you mean with the Beatles also. I know that they are great but they are not every album amazing great. I see where you are going with that.

Now Todd, you know how I feel about your list. I agree with your whole list as far as band being overrated. Now I like Led Zeppelin... but again they are overrated.

Then again I think everything is overrated. :D
    Cock Fight.
    culot4 wrote:
    . If you love the Beatles though, why did you put them on your list?

check the comments section...
    they are overated IMO because critics treat EVERY album of theirs as pure genius..
    I love the Beatles but EVERY album?
    .. geez Louise!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    IMO:

(WTF do critics rave about these guys..? I'm not hearing it Besides "Creep"... I can't recall a good thing they've put out.. )

(see comments above)

(this f*cker wins grammy after grammy with sh*t solo albums, and this is coming from a long time Police fan.. he's just "mailing it in" at this point)

(How do they even qualify as "rock"?? this is soundtrack music to 50"s surfer movies..)

this list makes you sound like an idiot who knows nothing about music.

Radiohead - if all you get is "Creep" then don't even listen to them

Greatful Dead - I don't listen to them so i can't say

Bob Dylan - you sound like an idiot saying he's overrated

The Beatles - you should be shot dead where you stand for even suggesting that they're overrated

Bruce Springsteen and David Bowie - I don't listen to them

Sting - I hate him but i'm not sure if he's overrated

Chilli Peppers - created their own genre of music. again, you sound like an idiot

Beach Boys - innovative as any band ever was

Nirvana - a bit overrated because Kurt shot himself but they are much better than the foo fighters
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Overated bands (by no means comprehensive, and most of these I like a bit)
    RHCP
    Led Zep
    Van Halen
    The Doors
    Kiss
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Jack Johnson
    Ben Harper
    Tool

Bands that could'nt possibly be overated
    NIRVANA- could I go without hearing Lithium or Teen Spirit for a year or two, sure but I can't believe anyone who truly loves and understands music cannot pay tribute to these guys.

Beatles- same idea, they changed rock forever, and get alot of exposure. If they are overated, it's overated like George Washington is overated, overated like pro football is overated.

Radiohead- not for everyone but in my view The Beatles of my generation. Every album is completely different from the last, and I love all of them. Completely fearless and unafraid to move foward and try new things. We should be so lucky in our own lives
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Some of those in the original post are arguable..

but Radiohead, David Bowie, Bob Dylan (CMON BOB DYLAN?! HONESTLY), and The Beatles are completely foundless. You're an idiot.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    locked wrote:
    IMO:

(see comments above)

This is all obviously personal opinion and absolutely nothing more (same goes for everyone else's post in this thread, including mine), but i agree to an extent with Nirvana, RHCP, and Bruce Springstein. (definitely not with radiohead though, 2nd favourite band behind PJ)

My votes go to The Who, Pink Floyd and Oasis. Im sure there are people on here who will think im crazy, but i find the who boring, and oasis over rated beyond belief. I like two of their albums, aside from that im not really getting it. Pink Floyd bore me to tears as well.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    My Morning Jacket is overhyped imo
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    locked wrote:
    check the comments section...
    they are overated IMO because critics treat EVERY album of theirs as pure genius..
    I love the Beatles but EVERY album?
    .. geez Louise!

Don't give me that geez Louise shit like I'm off base asking you to explain yourself. You say you love the Beatles,but don't understand why all of their albums make Rolling Stones best albums list. If you loved them wouldn't you be glad they are making all the lists. You don't make any fucking sense.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Lots of really good bands getting trashed in this thread :(

I'll trash a couple more that i'm sure some people love:

ACDC and Nirvana

I actually like nirvana and some ACDC i just think they (nirvana in particular) are given too much credit. Both made good music but i think they have just a bit too much credit.

Whoever said neil young.... I hope you rot in..... just kidding :D it is your opinion :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    this list makes you sound like an idiot who knows nothing about music.

i love people who think that a subjective opinion has any sort of relation to intelligence.
    Some of those in the original post are arguable..

. You're an idiot.

Slough Dauone yur usiz Bicg weurds thair...!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford