10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    people who say they only like 'Creep' by Radiohead are as bad as the people who say they only like 'Black' or 'Jeremy' by Pearl Jam....

fucking annoying and ignorant.

i'm not saying radiohead are perfect, (i HATE kid a and amnesiac with a passion!!!), and i do agree that they are pverrated by the critics/press/whatever, but the bends, ok computer and hail to the thief were all great albums, and itd be easy to find at least 1 track on these that you'd like more than creep.

but we're all entitled to our opinions :)

most of the bands on these lists are my favourites of all time (pink floyd, led zep, beatles, neil young, coldplay, RHCP, radiohead, etc etc etc) but i can see how some peopla may think they are very overrated.

that's not to say that they are BAD, just that they are OVERHYPED

anyway,
    /endrant
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    TOOL, fucking overrated like hell.

Also, I can't believe Rush is on your list too. That's just insane. Every member from Rush is unbelievably talented. terrific band.
  • radiohead getting "unquestioned ass kissing" ? You gotta be fucking kidding me. 3/4 people seem to absolutely hate them. at least.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    radiohead getting "unquestioned ass kissing" ? You gotta be fucking kidding me. 3/4 people seem to absolutely hate them. at least.

seriously. all I've seen is people talking about them being overrated in this thread, with the exception of a couple that actually say they like them. makes no sense.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    locked wrote:
    IMO:
    in order of outrageously excessive amount of praise:

06: Bruce Springsteen
    (see comments above)

01: Nirvana
    (bring it on folks ...but Kurt Cobain is not the voice of a generation... I think the Foo Fighters have produced better music than anything he put together before Courtney had him .. well.. you decide.. )

DIE! DIE! DIE!
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    ii44 wrote:
    DIE! DIE! DIE!

Hey, act normal...

I forgot 3 Doors Down - really overrated band.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Honestly haven't listened to much Radiohead so I can't comment but Creep is a really average song. But Soundgarden is one of the most underated post-70's bands, maybe not around here- but Pearl jam was a Seatle Scene band so what do you expect. Musically there is nothing overated about them.
    I can agree with U2 who have been releasing the same stuff for a while now and have always had intense radio support.
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    killers, kaiser chiefs, my chemichal romance, pavement, jesus and mary chain
    i love rock chicks
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    franz ferdinand...
    i love rock chicks
  • Every new rock band that comes out of Britian that is hailed as the new saviour of rock, when in effect they are just another average rock band. Speaking of Radiohead they are a are a very, very good band but the critics are up their ass. That point is indisputable.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • the reason Amnesiac sounds like Kid A pt. 2 is because those songs were all recorded during the same sessions

As far as the albums go, the first three songs on Kid A are golden then it starts getting too experimental for some people's tastes. Also, tracks 1-6 on OK Computer could be considered the best opening half of any album ever produced.

I celebrate their whole catalog.
    hate was just a legend
  • the reason Amnesiac sounds like Kid A pt. 2 is because those songs were all recorded during the same sessions

As far as the albums go, the first three songs on Kid A are golden then it starts getting too experimental for some people's tastes. Also, tracks 1-6 on OK Computer could be considered the best opening half of any album ever produced.

yesyesyesyesyes

Don't forget about them being one of the best live bands to ever take the stage.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Dercheef wrote:
    Sure RHCP are overrated as fuck but Radiohead? Are you fucking kidding me? You can't be serious....

Radiohead suck the big one
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    I think this thread is overated.
  • nocode23 wrote:
    I think this thread is overated.
    Lol!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • van halen.

i don't agree with radiohead or the beatles however. radiohead is makin good music out there in the days of pop radio, clearchannel garbage.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • If Led Zeppelin is overated folks, then everybody in music is.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    radiohead getting "unquestioned ass kissing" ? You gotta be fucking kidding me. 3/4 people seem to absolutely hate them. at least.

read any magazine from the last 10 years. like i said, thom could take a piss on a magazine and radiohead's mindless devotees and the music press would tell us all it's the greatest music ever composed. that's the definitions of over-rated. they're a great band and have done some amazing things, but they are not perfect and have turned out some truly shitty songs and one really crappy album (amnesiac).
    the reason Amnesiac sounds like Kid A pt. 2 is because those songs were all recorded during the same sessions

im aware of this, and ive maintained that radiohead could have made one amazing album between those 2, and one very interesting b-sides album (that they could have thrown some great hard to find early tracks on there too, a la lost dogs). but they decided to indulge thom yorke's ego and let him release it as two very uneven albums becos he's bought his own hype.
    Honestly haven't listened to much Radiohead so I can't comment but Creep is a really average song. But Soundgarden is one of the most underated post-70's bands, maybe not around here- but Pearl jam was a Seatle Scene band so what do you expect. Musically there is nothing overated about them.
    I can agree with U2 who have been releasing the same stuff for a while now and have always had intense radio support.

shit, i forgot to add soundgarden to my over-rated list. at least around here.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    read any magazine from the last 10 years. like i said, thom could take a piss on a magazine and radiohead's mindless devotees and the music press would tell us all it's the greatest music ever composed. that's the definitions of over-rated. they're a great band and have done some amazing things, but they are not perfect and have turned out some truly shitty songs and one really crappy album (amnesiac).

Radiohead's mindless devotees? Here's a thought... maybe people actually genuinely ENJOY the music. I know, I know, I'm going out on a limb. :rolleyes:
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I forgot to mention The Smiths/Morrisey, not a fan at all while many of my friends will argue he's a genius. Cant see it at all, and he's a prick as well.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    DOSW wrote:
    Radiohead's mindless devotees? Here's a thought... maybe people actually genuinely ENJOY the music. I know, I know, I'm going out on a limb. :rolleyes:

yes, but there are also many of them will never admit that they are capable of producing anything that is short of genius. kinda like a lot of the morons over at the porch who think pearl jam doesn't have a single song that isn't AMAZING. those fans annoy me by any band, but it seems like the portion of radiohead fans in this camp is higher than most.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    stu gee wrote:
    I forgot to mention The Smiths/Morrisey, not a fan at all while many of my friends will argue he's a genius. Cant see it at all, and he's a prick as well.

He most certainly is a sharp dresser though, You gotta give him that.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    yes, but there are also many of them will never admit that they are capable of producing anything that is short of genius. kinda like a lot of the morons over at the porch who think pearl jam doesn't have a single song that isn't AMAZING. those fans annoy me by any band, but it seems like the portion of radiohead fans in this camp is higher than most.

Alright, I see what you mean. The only Radiohead album I own is OK Computer, and I think it's damn near perfect... so that's why I got a little defensive.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, and Radiohead are the 3 most overrated bands ever. It's horrible
    Walking is still honest
  • 1 L
    2 e
    3 d
    4 Z
    5 e
    6 p
    7 p
    8 e
    9 l
    10 in

I like 'em, though. :D

There is no way in hell that Led Zeppelin is overrated. have you seen the original reviews of their albums all the tabloids and music magazines hated them.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    i would agree partially with the list but i would even go out on a limb and say U2 is overrated....

i would also put the Rolling Stones on that list, but thats just me i guess
    DOSW wrote:
    Alright, I see what you mean. The only Radiohead album I own is OK Computer, and I think it's damn near perfect... so that's why I got a little defensive.

ok computer and the bends are both pretty much flawless albums, like i said before. they're perfect and 2 of the best albums in rock history i think. but they've also had some not to stellar moments and a lot of people will deny that to the death.
  • DOSW wrote:

Try the other ones and see if you like 'em. IMO OK Computer, as already stated in this thread, is probably one of the greatest rock albums of all time. The others are diverse. Check out the Bends next maybe and then KID A.

Thought they were great at Red Rocks.

U2 is overrated live. Bono in his shades sometimes makes me want to puke.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."