10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

18910111214»

Comments

• eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Stereotype wrote:
    Can't believe so many people wrote down Sting!!WTF.Are you deaf?
    If you like music, you must like Sting..just listen to the composition of the songs, to all of the instruments and how they interwine...it's very complex, yet simple to listen to... Those Grammys aren't coincidental...

He is a bit of a boring nob though,isn't he?By the way lots of not very good artists get grammies.You don't seriously think any half decent artists give a flying fuck about grammies do you.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    I agree with you on Grammies but..he is boring?!?! Is that even relevant?
    I thought we were talking about music. And music is fenomenal.
    If you can't apreciate it, is it because you're not a musician or you never wrote a song. Don't even bother with comments.

And this story with Robert Plant....hmm... yeah...mhm..uh..so what?!
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

Stereotype wrote:
    I agree with you on Grammies but..he is boring?!?! Is that even relevant?
    I thought we were talking about music. And music is fenomenal.
    If you can't apreciate it, is it because you're not a musician or you never wrote a song. Don't even bother with comments.

And this story with Robert Plant....hmm... yeah...mhm..uh..so what?!
    How terribly condescending and pompous!
    I CAN spell though! Fenomal and apreciate,thats shocking! And I wasn't talking about the man(though he does seem a bit dull) I actually did mean his music is a bit boring to me. Also I don't feel I need to be a musician or write my own song , to know what I like, or indeed APPRECIATE a good song.I will continue to comment where I feel I want to, despite your aforementioned directive.I will also appreciate what I personally appreciate ,carry on being a non-musician , and not make any concerted effort to be a songwriter.I hope that is okay with you.................

if not F*** OFF!!

• StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    Well excuse moi, but
    He is a bit of a boring nob though,isn't he?
    HE doesn't indicate music...as far as I know...
    How terribly condescending and pompous!
    I CAN spell though! Fenomal and apreciate,thats shocking! And I wasn't talking about the man(though he does seem a bit dull) I actually did mean his music is a bit boring to me.

I don't see what is the problem with the word fenomenal and yeah wow I forgot one P in appreciate...shame on me. I'm not proud- I mean it. But then again you call me pompous..you dare to say that though, I bet you can speak only english...I understand English, German, Italian, Croatian, Serbian and Slovene, so why don't you write something in Slovene and lets see how many mistakes you would make...But yes BRAVO! (*claping*) you can spell your own language, that's um...they should give you an award or something... maybe build you a statue? Just the fact that you brag about it says a lot about your knowledge. And you don't know Sting, so it's wiser if you don't coment his characteristics.
    Also I don't feel I need to be a musician or write my own song , to know what I like, or indeed APPRECIATE a good song.I will continue to comment where I feel I want to, despite your aforementioned directive.I will also appreciate what I personally appreciate ,carry on being a non-musician , and not make any concerted effort to be a songwriter.I hope that is okay with you.................
    if not F*** OFF

Good for you! I don't think you have a choice, really...you must have the opinion that you have. I never said you need to be a musician to know what you like (read slower maybe) I just think you are not completely intitled (now carefully.. I didn't say that I am, ah ok...who am I kidding maybe I am a bit more than you). It's ok with me, thanks for the concern, I would advise you to count to 10 every now and then, you seem to get nervous very easily.
    *F...s off*..
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

Stereotype wrote:
    Well excuse moi, but HE doesn't indicate music...as far as I know...

I don't see what is the problem with the word fenomenal and yeah wow I forgot one P in appreciate...shame on me. I'm not proud- I mean it. But then again you call me pompous..you dare to say that though, I bet you can speak only english...I understand English, German, Italian, Croatian, Serbian and Slovene, so why don't you write something in Slovene and lets see how many mistakes you would make...But yes BRAVO! (*claping*) you can spell your own language, that's um...they should give you an award or something... maybe build you a statue? Just the fact that you brag about it says a lot about your knowledge. And you don't know Sting, so it's wiser if you don't coment his characteristics.

Good for you! I don't think you have a choice, really...you must have the opinion that you have. I never said you need to be a musician to know what you like (read slower maybe) I just think you are not completely intitled (now carefully.. I didn't say that I am, ah ok...who am I kidding maybe I am a bit more than you). It's ok with me, thanks for the concern, I would advise you to count to 10 every now and then, you seem to get nervous very easily.
    *F...s off*..

No not at all.I am just not particularly keen on people telling me what I can and can't appreciate , and suggesting that I should not bother commenting.The fact that it comes from an ardent STING fan just makes it sting that little bit more!Talking about counting to ten , you seem a little bit more agitated than me to be honest.

• IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I guess this is my point. At some point every big band can be considered to be over-rated. The media and the celebrity worshippers might think they are gods, but I don't. They can be might big inspirations though. Some-one mentioned Pink Floyd for example, but the song Time inspired me to rise abopve the circumstances of my adolescence, go to University and have a successsful career. Not over-rated to me !! I would also venture that The Wall played a big part in bring down the Berlin Wall.
    I think music is very closed linked to the time as well. Eg, Beatles, I may have a very different opinion of them if I grew up with them, or if they were a part of my youth. But when I tried listening to them in teh 80's, and I did try, I just couldn't get anything out of them. Maybe there was too much contrast to everythig else I was listening to, I dunno.
    I was just thinking, and this was the point of my first post, that to post a list on this thread, people should be able to justify or offer an alternative, rather than just hack on stuff they are not into. Maybe I'm just a boring old fart too, and should just let people vent spleen without paying attention.

I read this first a few days ago and it kind of took a couple of days for it to sink in. But it hit me on the train home from work last night that this was kind of a cool story. I remembered one of the Roger Waters interviews on the Eagle Rock "Classic Albums" DVD about the making of "Dark Side" where he's talking about the lyrics for the song "Time" and what they mean.

Then I was thinking of just how absolutely amazing the guitar solo is when it kicks in after "You missed the starting gun".

That's kind of a cool way to get into gear and realize you want to go for it. Pretty positive story about music making an impact actually.
  • ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    If you use the media well, you can become overated.

Nirvana is a fantastic band, but because of Cobains death they are now more popular than they were. If I ask someone, wich one do you pick; PJ or Nirvana? 70% of the time people will say Nirvana. Even if they have never heard any songs of either of them.They have just heard of Nirvana and Cobain...

This is not just giving Nirvana a bad "rating", but also making a great band mainstream (and mainstream is not so cool, is it? Haha, the beat generation all over again :D)
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    IDgotI wrote:
    I read this first a few days ago and it kind of took a couple of days for it to sink in. But it hit me on the train home from work last night that this was kind of a cool story. I remembered one of the Roger Waters interviews on the Eagle Rock "Classic Albums" DVD about the making of "Dark Side" where he's talking about the lyrics for the song "Time" and what they mean.

Then I was thinking of just how absolutely amazing the guitar solo is when it kicks in after "You missed the starting gun".

That's kind of a cool way to get into gear and realize you want to go for it. Pretty positive story about music making an impact actually.

Thank you for that. A few years ago I read that he wrote the song when he was 28 and "waiting for life to begin", then one day realised that it had begun a long time ago. It serves as a warning not to be complacent about where life will take you. I heard it when I was 16, living in a tent. I had failed out of school, my parents separated, and though I lived with my mother for a while, she had severe depression and turfed me out. It just made such an impression on me, I always stayed focussed on not living an ordinary life where you tick the boxes, then die.
    It is an amazing solo too, Gilmour makes those few notes work so hard !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Thank you for that. A few years ago I read that he wrote the song when he was 28 and "waiting for life to begin", then one day realised that it had begun a long time ago. It serves as a warning not to be complacent about where life will take you. I heard it when I was 16, living in a tent. I had failed out of school, my parents separated, and though I lived with my mother for a while, she had severe depression and turfed me out. It just made such an impression on me, I always stayed focussed on not living an ordinary life where you tick the boxes, then die.
    It is an amazing solo too, Gilmour makes those few notes work so hard !!

I did a chunk of time in a tent, though more by choice. My family let me know I could stay with them -OR- find a place where I could learn to play guitar. Tent near a rehersal space won.

Yeah that's pretty much the story Waters tells on the DVD. Life ticking boxes reminds me of the film "About Schmidt". It's all about -ANYTHING- but that.

Cheers.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Maybe I'm just a boring old fart too, and should just let people vent spleen without paying attention.

probably ;)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    IDgotI wrote:
    I did a chunk of time in a tent, though more by choice. My family let me know I could stay with them -OR- find a place where I could learn to play guitar. Tent near a rehersal space won.

Yeah that's pretty much the story Waters tells on the DVD. Life ticking boxes reminds me of the film "About Schmidt". It's all about -ANYTHING- but that.

Cheers.

Yeah, I could have moved to Brisbane and lived with my father, but living at the beach was much more appealing. In retrospect, even though I did it tough, it was probably the right thing to do for my headspace. It could have gone all wrong, but eventually it turned out OK. It was where I met the guy who told me about the adult high-school he had gone to, which is where I ended up getting my Uni entry score a few years later. Funny, but I have never realised that until just now. Wow !! He was living there in a tent too, cos he had just been back-packing in Europe for a year and couldn't get his head around the ordinary life again. Funny we seem to chat too, I wonder how many other people here have done that (tent)??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    the beach boys and REM are both amazing

you people are crazy :D

but tons of people would think im crazy for saying that LED ZEPPELIN is completely overrated. and of course so are the easy targets like AC/DC, Metallica... etc.

I love the Beach Boys! I just didn't think that they should be on the list because I don't consider them to be ROCK.

Can't say as I'm a huge fan of REM but I can see why people like them. But as I never really got into them, then I do consider them over-rated to a degree, because I can't see what all the fuss is about. But I'm sure you can. :)

Led Zepplin are fantastic but I agree that they are over rated sometimes.

And clearly I love Metallica but I could see why people who aren't fans could consider them to be over-rated

So Comfortably (my theme song by the way ;) ) the bit I'm really want to get at is AC/DC. :D Acca Dacca may be incredibly over-rated now, and their music has become extremely formulaic. BUT AC/DC back in the day before we lost Bon is amazing, fresh, funny, and absolutely listenable. Lyrically clever and truly toe tapping stuff. AND let us not forget the urge it brings in people to headbang! :D I would have to say that to the rest of the world early AC/DC is quite possibly grossly under rated.
    But then I'm a girl, so what would I know! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift