10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• i love people who think that a subjective opinion has any sort of relation to intelligence.

Exactly. These "Top 10 worst bands in the history of the world ever" lists kind of turn into silly name calling things, when really it's just a stack of opinions.

That being said, I'll vote for Coldplay as one of the most overrated bands. I consider them Radiohead-lite.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • 1 L
    2 e
    3 d
    4 Z
    5 e
    6 p
    7 p
    8 e
    9 l
    10 in

I like 'em, though. :D
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    "this list makes you sound like an idiot who knows nothing about music. "
    i love people who think that a subjective opinion has any sort of relation to intelligence.

what's even better are people reading written words and then referencing "sound" in their reply...

Talk about poor grammar!..

Its like when people WRITE "Having stated this..."
    (your're not "stating" anything when you write )

I picture their lips moving when they read...

Who's the idiot now?

:)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    what's even better are people reading written words and then referencing "sound" in their reply...

Er, there is such a thing as a written statement:

http://www.answers.com/statement&r=67
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    locked wrote:

Talk about poor grammar!..

I picture their lips moving when they read...

Who's the idiot now?

"your're"

Should be You're
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    Er, there is such a thing as a written statement:

http://www.answers.com/statement&r=67

Yes, but "statement" isn't being used in that context in my example...

Weren't you lads the ones who marched in rows onto battlefields instead shooting from behind rocks and trees?

.)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    stu gee wrote:
    "your're"

Should be You're

I bet you're the life of the party at your work..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    The beatles
    Coldplay
    U2

and nowadays, the Arctic Monkeys (I hate them)
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • ecd1973 wrote:
    Exactly. These "Top 10 worst bands in the history of the world ever" lists kind of turn into silly name calling things, when really it's just a stack of opinions.

That being said, I'll vote for Coldplay as one of the most overrated bands. I consider them Radiohead-lite.
    Radiohead lite is freaking hilarious!!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    ecd1973 wrote:

Take the most basic elements of Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, and U2 and throw them in a shitty old blender and you have Coldplay
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    RHCP, Aerosmith, Jack Johnson, DMB, Led Zep (i like about 15 songs of theirs)
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    locked wrote:
    IMO:
    in order of outrageously excessive amount of praise:

10: Radiohead
    (WTF do critics rave about these guys..? I'm not hearing it Besides "Creep"... I can't recall a good thing they've put out.. )

09: The Grateful Dead
    (Unlike Pearl Jam, hearing them "live" does not make a difference.. they still sound like a bad country band to me)

08: Bob Dylan (this is too easy!)

07: The Beatles
    (I LOVE The Beatles but does Rolling Stone have to pick EVERY Album they made as the greatest of all time..?)

06: Bruce Springsteen
    (see comments above)

05: David Bowie

04: Sting
    (this f*cker wins grammy after grammy with sh*t solo albums, and this is coming from a long time Police fan.. he's just "mailing it in" at this point)

03: Red Hot Chili Peppers
    (anyone else think they seem like a skit from an old SNL episode? I can't take their music serious..)

02:The Beach Boys
    (How do they even qualify as "rock"?? this is soundtrack music to 50"s surfer movies..)

01: Nirvana
    (bring it on folks ...but Kurt Cobain is not the voice of a generation... I think the Foo Fighters have produced better music than anything he put together before Courtney had him .. well.. you decide.. )

I agree that Grateful Dead, Springsteen, Sting, and RHCP are overrated.

though I don't agree, I can see how one could make the assumption that Radiohead, Dylan, Bowie, Nirvana, and maybe even the Beatles are overrated.

but THE BEACH BOYS??!?!?! damn, you blew my mind on that one. I can't wrap my head around them being overrated. the best vocal harmonies of ANY musical group in history, bar none. some of the most innovative music ever. they're not overrated, sorry.

one group I'd definitely add is The Doors. to me, they are the most overrated band ever.
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I've got a band I'd like some opinions on...I've always thought Queen was sort of overated. They were ok but some people think they're like the greatest.
    Be excellent to each other
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    i love people who think that a subjective opinion has any sort of relation to intelligence.

Took the words right out of my mouth, brother.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    God, if you think Radiohead are overrated then you just don't understand their music, and it's people like you that piss them off because you never get past Creep.

Also, Led Zeppelin, while they are amazing, I do admit they have an annoying part of their fanbase (but come on, it's so huge, there HAS to be an annoying part.)

The Beatles, though? God, no way.

Also, whoever said The Doors is overrated is insane. Same with U2.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Ive never really considered U2 overrated, ive just considered them a complete nightmare.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    God, if you think Radiohead are overrated then you just don't understand their music, and it's people like you that piss them off because you never get past Creep.

i did get past creep and i stil think radiohead is horribly over-rated. the bends and ok computer were 2 of the best albums in rock history. kid a was good. good, not brilliant, not groundbreaking, not the most amazing album ever written, but good. amnesiac was kid a part 2. hail to the thief was kid a part 3 +ok computer to sell more albums. they're a good band, but their music hasn't been much more than interesting the last few years and yet people line up to kiss their asses and will tell you thom yorke pissing on an amplifier is the most amazing "music" ever produced. it's ridiculous.
  • It's sad and ridiculous to confuse the quality of a band, with our personal tastes.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • U2

Widespread Panic
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    Coldplay!!

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like Radiohead :o

count me in on that list.. radiohead are fucking overrated garbage...
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Radiohead is ok.........I just don't get where these analogies are coming from that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.......Kind of like all of the grandiose comparisons you use to hear a few years ago about oasis being the next Beatles!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • locked wrote:
    10: Radiohead
    (WTF do critics rave about these guys..? I'm not hearing it Besides "Creep"... I can't recall a good thing they've put out.. )

Do you know the song The Bends (or the album for that matter)? I'm not a fan of anything they've done since OK Computer, but The Bends is incredible.
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Radiohead is excellent. I'm not huge on OK Computer, half is good and half is junk.
    The Bends is potentially the best album of all time. Cover to Cover it is excellent.
    And for whoever put Zep on their list is out to lunch

As for overrated:
    Nirvana
    RHCP
    Jack Johnson
    All rap
    The Doors
    Nickleback (been overrated since the minute they sold their first album)
    U2 (been overrated for the last 15-20 years)
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Dustin51 wrote:
    I've got a band I'd like some opinions on...I've always thought Queen was sort of overated. They were ok but some people think they're like the greatest.

no, not overrated. from a technical standpoint, Freddie Mercury may have been THE most technically talented (almost to the point of being an opera singer) rock singer ever. a May is a great guitar.
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    Todd76 wrote:
    This thread is gonna get nasty - should be fun ;)

10) AC/DC
    9) Rolling Stones
    8) Pink Floyd
    7) Dave Matthews Band
    6) Metallica
    5) Soundgarden
    4) RHCP
    3) U2
    2) Rush
    1) Led Zeppelin

OMG you are crazy. Led Zeppelin at #1!? CRAZY!

10.ACDC
    9.ACDC
    8.ACDC
    7.ACDC
    6.ACDC
    5.ACDC
    4.ACDC
    3.ACDC
    2.Aerosmith
    1.Green Day (fuck them)
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    MLC2006 wrote:
    no, not overrated. from a technical standpoint, Freddie Mercury may have been THE most technically talented (almost to the point of being an opera singer) rock singer ever. a May is a great guitar.

Freddie Mercury, greatest front man of all time. 'nough said
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    radiohead should be higher though. ive never heard of a band to got as much unquestioned ass-kissing as they get.

dude, sometimes i love your posts, you know why? see your quote above!
    haha hell i like your attitude!
    ( btw, i am drunk)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    genie wrote:
    dude, sometimes i love your posts, you know why? she your quote above!
    haha hell i like your attitude!
    ( btw, i am drunk)

pleased to entertain :)
  • sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    It's sad and ridiculous to confuse the quality of a band, with our personal tastes.

and what is the quality of a band?

Music is obviously subjective
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Whoops, meant to start a new thread but I was eating a blummin' good sammich at the time and forgot what I was doin'.

Carry on, fellas.