Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

Comments

• This may have been posted in here already, but you can stream a live DBT show from the 9:30 Club in DC from July here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5546929

There is a treasure trove of other shows on this site as well. Enjoy!!
    8/9/92 Jones Beach, 10/2/96 Hartford, 9/8/98 E. Rutherford, 9/1/00 Camden, 7/5/03 Camden, 7/9/03 MSG, 7/14/03 PNC, 10/1/04 Reading, 9/30/05 Borgata, 10/1/05 Borgata, 10/3/05 Philly, 5/27/06 Camden, 6/1/06 E. Rutherford, 6/3/06 E. Rutherford, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/24/08 MSG, 6/25/08 MSG, 8/7/08 EV@NJPAC, 10/30/09 Spectrum, 10/31/09 Spectrum, 5/18/10 Newark
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Red Lukin wrote:
    No dbt songs, but he plays them...I'm confused...anyways, can always hope he plays Decoration Day

That was a (not very good) joke. You wrote DTB instead of DBT. So my response was that he doesn't play DTB songs, but does play DBT stuff.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    merkinball wrote:
    That was a (not very good) joke. You wrote DTB instead of DBT. So my response was that he doesn't play DTB songs, but does play DBT stuff.

Ahh (not confused anymore) : )

So they're called Drive By Truckers, not Drive Truckers By?

either way it sounds hick!
  • dtb=derek trucks band
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Kings of Leon had some not-to-flattering remarks about DBT

http://www.discorder.ca/oldsite/features/03decnardwuar.html

Spin Magazine. What’s the deal with Spin Magazine? You don’t like those guys now do ya?

Jared: No way. I mean like, it’s just a bunch of bullshit. They reviewed our record with the Drive By Truckers and we don’t…I mean…we don’t like having beef with other bands, but we just never, I mean I’ve seen them like one time on TV and it was ridiculous. It was like horrendous and they gave us like, I don’t know, like two points and them like, five or somethig like that….

Caleb: No, it’s not…we don’t wanna talk about bands or anything like that....

I think it’s great that you wanna name names though!

Caleb: No, no we don’t.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    Kings of Leon had some not-to-flattering remarks about DBT

http://www.discorder.ca/oldsite/features/03decnardwuar.html

Spin Magazine. What’s the deal with Spin Magazine? You don’t like those guys now do ya?

Jared: No way. I mean like, it’s just a bunch of bullshit. They reviewed our record with the Drive By Truckers and we don’t…I mean…we don’t like having beef with other bands, but we just never, I mean I’ve seen them like one time on TV and it was ridiculous. It was like horrendous and they gave us like, I don’t know, like two points and them like, five or somethig like that….

Caleb: No, it’s not…we don’t wanna talk about bands or anything like that....

I think it’s great that you wanna name names though!

Caleb: No, no we don’t.

PBM

I don't think it had anything to do to with dissing DBT - seems like they dislike the magazine. I see their point. Just because they are from the south how can they be judged against southern rock, when that's not what they are trying to be.

You scared me for a sec
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Just got tickets and booked a room for the second night in Athens on the Dirt Underneath Tour...

Good times.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    Patterson updated his blog over on the Gibson site the other day. Always a good read.

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessblogs.aspx?aliaspath=/AllAccess/Blogs/Drive%20By%20Truckers
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

Just got tickets and booked a room for the second night in Athens on the Dirt Underneath Tour...

Good times.

I don't think I'm going to pull the trigger on that Nashville show. They're only playing for an hour (right before Wolfmother). Would like to go, but I don't think things are going to work out.

Glad to see they are starting work on a new DBT album...although, solo discs from Patterson and Jason would be nice.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

I don't think I'm going to pull the trigger on that Nashville show. They're only playing for an hour (right before Wolfmother). Would like to go, but I don't think things are going to work out.

Glad to see they are starting work on a new DBT album...although, solo discs from Patterson and Jason would be nice.

PBM

I saw Jason the other night in Orlando... his solo stuff is sounding really good, im quite stoked.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • isbell's opening for son volt in pittsburgh in april... think i might check that out, seems like it'd be a fun time.

PBM

That's how I feel about heading up to Stagecoach. Really there's only two artists I'd really like to see (DBT and Lucinda Williams) and they are playing on opposite days, and probably hour long festival sets. Otherwise it's all radio-friendly country.

Not really new, but they just posted it at their Myspace Page:

Acoustic Gravity's Gone

PBM

Jason has an official page for his music.

New tracks up including a studio version of Dress Blues.

PBM

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Jason has an official page for his music.

New tracks up including a studio version of Dress Blues.

PBM
    Cool grits.........just bought Patterson's first solo effort from iTunes...will have to check this out.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Cool grits.........just bought Patterson's first solo effort from iTunes...will have to check this out.

BenInTacoma hooked me up with it last year...very raw...haven't given it the listen that it deserves yet.

PBM

According to his Myspace page, Jason is no longer in the DBT....

Sad news.

"I am not in the Drive By Truckers anymore. Go figure. I wish them luck. I will not answer questions about it."

http://www.myspace.com/jasonisbellmusic

Go to the blog.

merkinball wrote:
    According to his Myspace page, Jason is no longer in the DBT....

Sad news.

"I am not in the Drive By Truckers anymore. Go figure. I wish them luck. I will not answer questions about it."

http://www.myspace.com/jasonisbellmusic

Go to the blog.

No way...this sucks
    Question: I still haven't decided if I'm going to see Jason this week. I love DBT and have many of their albums, but I don't know much about Jason. So I'm curious will there be a band or is it just him? Basically I want to know if there will be drums; you know some rock...
    Seriously, what the fuck is going on here? They just played some shows and have a big tour coming up, plus what happens to Shonna?
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Question: I still haven't decided if I'm going to see Jason this week. I love DBT and have many of their albums, but I don't know much about Jason. So I'm curious will there be a band or is it just him? Basically I want to know if there will be drums; you know some rock...

He has a band... its him, another guitarist, a bassist and a drummer... They were really quite good when I saw them a few weeks back... I would definitely go...
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    This really is awful - my jaw dropped when I saw the MySpace posting.

Truths:

1: I'll be a huge fan of Jason as a solo artist

2: Cooley will get more tracks on DBT recors now - and that's a good thing.

3: DBT was fine before Jason - they'll be fine afterwards - but damn did they make two great albums with him.

4: I imagine Shonna is out, too...
    Seriously, what the fuck is going on here? They just played some shows and have a big tour coming up, plus what happens to Shonna?

There were rumors of a divorce, plus Shonna isn't in Jason's touring band. So maybe she'll stick around.

NakedClown wrote:
    This really is awful - my jaw dropped when I saw the MySpace posting.

Truths:

1: I'll be a huge fan of Jason as a solo artist

2: Cooley will get more tracks on DBT recors now - and that's a good thing.

3: DBT was fine before Jason - they'll be fine afterwards - but damn did they make two great albums with him.

4: I imagine Shonna is out, too...

Agreed... with all but number 4. Something tells me Jason is gone, but she'll be around.

The last few times I saw DBT I saw them all in various groupings and solo just hanging around the venue, socializing, drinking, etc. Never saw Shonna and Jason exchange a word. I am not one to care about rock band's personal lives, but when it affects the future of the band I can't help but speculate.

Sorry, I feel dirty talking about this. I am gonna stop now.
    New blog post on Jason's page:

"If I could change it... I would."

It is just bizarre to sit here and almost literally see a band break up (not quite but you get the point), in real time.

It is really quite sad, because I love their music and it means a lot to me, as I know it does to a lot of you guys.
    FROM DBT

Important Announcement.

Y'ALL:

It's with a wide range of emotions and feelings that I'm announcing that we have parted ways with Jason.
    The split, which I consider extremely amicable is the result of a period of personal and artistic growth from all sides which has left us with differing dreams and goals.

Jason joined our band, mid-tour, in the fall of 2001, shortly after the release of our 4th album (Southern Rock Opera). His impact on the band was immediate and profound, bringing an awe-inspiring combination of vocal range, guitar dexterity, and amazing songwriting and leading us into an era of creativity that has resulted in three albums that I will be proud of for as long as I live.

Life in a band is always a delicate balancing act of personal and musical chemistries. Having been in bands for most of my life, I still marvel that any band stays together for longer than a year. Especially if the band in question spends anywhere from 150-220 days a year on the road, as our band has done since 1998. That said, I have also likened this band to a family. A big, messy, sometimes dysfunctional one, but a family full of love all the same. It is in this spirit that I plan on Jason continuing to be a part of our lives wherever our roads and dreams take us in the immediate future.

Jason is about to embark on a tour (including a leg of dates with Son Volt) with his stellar band and will be releasing (finally) his amazing solo album "Sirens of the Ditch" < July 10 from New West Records > . We all are wishing him nothing but the absolute best on every step that plays before him.

Cooley and I will have played together for 22 years this summer and DBT is about to begin it's 12th year of existence on the very day that we will be going into the studio to begin recording our 8th album. Cooley recently sent me a demo of five new songs and yesterday I demoed nine new ones for consideration. In addition to Shonna and Brad (who is coming up on ten years in the band) John Neff will be playing with us full time, playing both guitar and pedal steel. John was a founding member of the band in 96 and has already played on four of our albums and has been on the road with us, full time for going on two years.

It is my sincere and and adamant hope that everyone will support all of us, and by that I mean our band and Jason's, as we deal with this transition. Jason's tenure in this band has been one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me on a personal and musical level and our love for him and his music is in no way changed or endangered by our collective decision to move into different directions.

In addition to the upcoming THE DIRT UNDERNEATH tour and the recording of our next album, we will also be playing some special ROCK SHOW dates this summer and hope to do another leg or two of THE DIRT UNDERNEATH in the fall.

As always, the bond that we have with each other, as well as with the folks that come to our shows and listen to our records has always been one of the things that has set this band apart. We plan to continue on in that tradition and spirit and hope you will come with us as we attempt to tell another tale and Rock the nights away a little while longer.

Sincerely Yours,
    Patterson Hood
    Drive-By Truckers
    April 6, 2007
    This is depressing - Decoration Day and Dirty South are masterpieces - ABAAC is just "good" (which is why I said two "great" albums earlier).

Jason's songs have always been the ones that I relate to the most. I hope now that he churns out solo albums with the same prolific nature DBT has.

But reading Patterson's post above, how cool is it that Cooley might get five songs on the next album? And Patterson's stuff with the band is always good...
  • John Neff is a class act, he's the real deal....looking forward to him picking up a guitar on the next DBT record, maybe see what kind of songs he'll write.
    Met Neff outside the 9:30 in DC this summer, mentioned I was from Lancaster and they showed up there later on the tour, so...coincidence maybe but...

yeah, this isn't fun, hopefully it all works out for everyone, no bad blood.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    Well, at least it sounds like Shonna will stay in the band (from Pattersons post above). That's good news, she plays a mean bass, and brings her own bad-ass attitude to the stage.

I suppose I can see where this would have happened eventually. All of them are strong songwriters, and it must get difficult to only have 2-3 songs per album for Jason. It will definitely impact the albums though. Each of them have individual styles, and Jason brought a different perspective and generational voice to 'the southern thing' that really complemented the last few albums.