Oasis-Don't Believe the Truth official thread

AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
edited April 2006 in Other Music
just got the album..wow..huge improvement from the previous two albums.
i got the UK version with the dvd and book-like packaging..
so far my favorite tracks are Part of the Queue and The Importance of Being Idle
the dvd has nothing much though..just the EPK which can be found easily online..and the Lyla video..but pretty neat packaging
And yes the sleeve has all the lyrics :D
LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
YNWA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HilaryJamHilaryJam Posts: 5
    ive been listening to it all weekend on their website. those are good tracks for sure. lyla has grown on me quite a bit too, so now i love it evn more than i first did.
    My name is HilaryJam, and I approve this message
    (The artist formerly known as BritneyJam)
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    just bought it (listened to it on my mp3 a few times) and really really like it! as u said a huge improvement on the latter album(s)!

so far i cant name any track s that i aprticularly like but the overall sound it good.
    your light's reflected now
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    one bad thing though is i felt the album is too short...the short tracks were too short!
    but damn this cd is gonna be on my player for a long long time
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • StarfuckerStarfucker Posts: 9
    Lyla is a blatant ripoff of "street Fighting Man".
    "String us up we still won't die!"
    Keith Richards circa '94
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    Starfucker wrote:
    Lyla is a blatant ripoff of "street Fighting Man".

i love the new oasis album and the song "lyla" but your right on this one. the main verse of lyla is a complete and total ripoff of street fighting man no doubt about it. this is nothing new for oasis, they've had lots of ripoff type songs. i still like them though.
  • El Riot ActorEl Riot Actor Posts: 246
    Allright! So tomorrow is the day i get my copy of the new Oasis.....woooo hoooo! I dont mind the last two records, but ii guess they could have been much better, especially Heathen Chemestry. So it will be nice to get another kick ass Oasis album.
    icarus wrote:
    the first line is similar but thats about it, dont see how its a blatant ripoff besides that first line
    my thoughts exactly..
    so far Lyla seems to be the worse track on the album

YNWA
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    1. take the beatles
    2. slice out 75% of their collective brains
    3. let them write some new stuff (with their newly found ingenius)
    4. add a pussy for a frontman who thinks he's bigger than Jesus..........

and whala

1+2+3+4 = oasis

once again this album is just absolute proof of their incapability to do anything but rip off previous well worked efforts

it's to die for.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'll pick this one up today.
  • D Lo BrownD Lo Brown Posts: 132
    glasshouse wrote:
    1. take the beatles

and whala

1+2+3+4 = oasis

once again this album is just absolute proof of their incapability to do anything but rip off previous well worked efforts

it's to die for.

1. Read an article in any music magazine from 1996 about Oasis.
    2. Try to pass off writers' opinions as your own ideas
    3. Repeat.
  • Admittedly this is only after 4 listens but I am a tad disappointed.

I am a big fan and have been since 94, so please don't accuse me of being an Oasis hater, but I think the new album is a bit of a let down.

I've read nothing but 4 star reviews, so perhaps my expectation levels were unreasonably high.

Turn Up The Sun is FAR too slow.

I find Mucky Fingers irritating.

Lyla is very good though.

Love Like a Bomb is decent enough.

The Importance of Being Idle is essentially The Coral, and I can't stand them, so this one does nothing for me.

The Meaning of Soul is ok.

Guess God Thinks I'm Abel is very good but what a waste at the end! I thought it was all going to kick off for an extended jam or heavy section and all of a sudden it just ends! I know some may think that is the song's charm, but it smacks more of a missed opportunity to me.

I can't remember anything about Part Of The Queue and Keep The Dream Alive, so they certainly haven't captured my imagination.

A Bell Will Ring is Oasis-By-Numbers but still pretty good nonetheless.

Let There Be Love is excellent. There must have been a huge temptation to roll out the 48 piece orchestra and have 3 key changes a la All Around The World but they thankfully and wisely chose to do something a bit different and more lo-fi with the inevitable flag-waving closer. Diversity is not usually one of Oasis's strong points, so I was quite glad when I heard this one.

Overall though, I'd give it 3 stars. No more, no less.

I think some reviewers are so glad to have them back so they can write about them, that this has influenced their opinions.

Each to their own though...
    Decipher the illusion, know the facts but retain the magic.
  • D Lo Brown wrote:
    3. Repeat.

Touche Mr Brown. Touche...

That has to be one of the funniest, yet truthful ripostes I have seen on these boards.

I also enjoyed your online battle of verbatim with Mr Starf*cker concerning U2.

Keep up the good work...
    D Lo Brown wrote:

hate to break it to you, but i'm capable of reaching these conclusions without having to read an article about oasis.
    i just need to listen to their music.
    the proof of the pudding is in the eating isn't it?

D Lo Brown wrote:

where can i get a copy of all those articles dubbing oasis beatles rip offs?
    so i'm not alone in this opinion? i'm actually being backed up by musical critics...mmmm cool

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • D Lo BrownD Lo Brown Posts: 132
    glasshouse wrote:
    hate to break it to you, but i'm capable of reaching these conclusions without having to read an article about oasis.
    i just need to listen to their music.
    the proof of the pudding is in the eating isn't it?

where can i get a copy of all those articles dubbing oasis beatles rip offs?
    so i'm not alone in this opinion? i'm actually being backed up by musical critics...mmmm cool

news flash: the band ADMITTED years ago they try to emulate the Beatles. And even Liam will admit that he's an asshole.

Your "conclusion" that you're so proud of ranks right up there with concluding that water is wet and the sky is blue.

Thanks for contributing.
    D Lo Brown wrote:
    news flash: the band ADMITTED years ago they try to emulate the Beatles. And even Liam will admit that he's an asshole.

let me get this right.
    i'm saying that the beatles are oasis rip offs and that goldplated dildo is a Liam
    and you, john lennon, blue water and the wet sky seems to agree

i'm not confused anymore
    thanks for clearing up that murky cloud

• El Riot ActorEl Riot Actor Posts: 246
    I just got the new Oasis.... i just heard it once, i'm more into the 2nd half of the cd. My version came with 5 live songs from 1994 icluding:
    rock n roll star
    columbia
    live forever
    cigarettes and alcohol
    and Supersonic.

I like it so far, i guess i expected the old poppy Oasis from whats the sory? morning glory, but in a way i'm glad is different .
  • StarfuckerStarfucker Posts: 9
    I never got into Oasis, because they try to sound like their more successful British counterparts. All they sound like to me is a Beatles/Stones tribute band. If I want to hear a group that sounds like those 2 bands I'll listen to the real deal.
    "String us up we still won't die!"
    Keith Richards circa '94
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,167
    the haters can hate all they want but simply put, this album is fuckin ace.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I just got the new Oasis.... i just heard it once, i'm more into the 2nd half of the cd. My version came with 5 live songs from 1994 icluding:
    rock n roll star
    columbia
    live forever
    cigarettes and alcohol
    and Supersonic.

I like it so far, i guess i expected the old poppy Oasis from whats the sory? morning glory, but in a way i'm glad is different .
    cool!
    thats a bestbuy exclusive i heard...how are the live tracks?

YNWA
  • Starfucker wrote:
    I never got into Oasis, because they try to sound like their more successful British counterparts. All they sound like to me is a Beatles/Stones tribute band. If I want to hear a group that sounds like those 2 bands I'll listen to the real deal.

They have been albatrossed with this tag for a while now.

It was Noel and Liam who made the early comparisons, saying they wanted to be bigger than The Beatles etc and the press seemed to use this as a statement about their musical intentions.

I can think of a couple of examples where they actually seem to have ripped off The Beatles:

- the coda to She's Electric - it's the coda to A Little Help From My Friends (not the best song to choose to rip off if you ask me)
    - Cigarettes In Hell - the mellotron is reminiscent of Strawberry Fields

Other than that though, I don't really see the comparison. There may be a general comparison to make, but no more than that.

I've always thought because of their swagger, they were much more akin to The Stones than The Beatles. The latter were never as rough around the edges as Oasis.

However, other than one line in the verse of Lyla, they have never directly ripped off The Stones either to my knowledge.

Furthermore, Oasis are to be commended in my book for their deference and reverance to The Beatles and The Stones which has resulted in 2 excellent covers - I Am The Walrus and Street Fighting Man - both are fresh and interesting versions.

I see your point about preferring to listen to the originals rather than the imitators but feel this is doing Oasis a disservice. They have contributed some amazing and original songs such as Live Forever, Acquiesce, Rockin Chair, to name but a few.

I would agree if you said why listen to Jet - just listen to AC/DC but that is because Jet don't seem to add anything new at all to what AC/DC have done.

Oasis on the other hand have added something new to their influences. The overall sound of Oasis in particular, especially on their first album, was definitely fresh and new at the time.

One might even venture, playing devil's advocate, why listen to The Stones? Just listen to the black r&b originals that never got the credit they deserved and that The Stones stood on the shoulders of to develop their own sound.

Everyone is influenced by someone. Music is an evolutionary process. It's ok to be inspired by someone, but try and add something new to the mix.

In my humble opinion, Oasis have...
  • I am revising my earlier review:

Keep The Dream Alive is excellent. Liam's vocals are superb and the vocal tune on the chorus is excellent.

It's the joint best song on there with Let There Be Love.
    I am revising my earlier review:

Keep The Dream Alive is excellent. Liam's vocals are superb and the vocal tune on the chorus is excellent.

It's the joint best song on there with Let There Be Love.
    Keep the Dream Alive and The Meaning of Soul are really growing on me...
    favorite track is still Part of the Queue...Love like a Bomb is a close second

YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    cool!
    thats a bestbuy exclusive i heard...how are the live tracks?

Thats right, the best buy deal :)
    Last night i had the pleasure of hearing this cd on my headphones and it was great from the first song to the last. This is the best Oasis cd since morning glory. i've only heard the first live track "rock n roll" star, it sounds pretty solid, but i wanna hear columbia and supersonic.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    rock n roll star
    columbia
    live forever
    cigarettes and alcohol
    and Supersonic.

did those live songs come with the dualdisc as well?
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i just heard it.

sounds like oasis.:cool:
  • PJammin' wrote:
    did those live songs come with the dualdisc as well?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... nope :(
  • I know i said this (new one) is the best oasis since morning glory?, but i just heard standing on the shoulder of giants again and i think that i am the biggest fan of that album, i was gonna put some songs on my itunes but i ended putting all of them except little james, which was the first song Liam wrote by himself.
    I love the whole thing pretty much, from fXXXin' in the bushes to Roll it over, man i love roll it over and the smooth solo there.
    And also i think Heathen Chemestry gets of to a great start, you can feel the oasis magic on the first three songs and a few others on that album. So i guess i love all oasis albums!
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    i've listened to this album atleast a dozen times now and imo its easily their best since morning glory. all killer no filler. i'm a big time oasis fan but even i will admit that there last 3 albums have had some clunkers...but not this one. i'm actually a little shocked that its this good:)
  • PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    glasshouse wrote:
    1. take the beatles

and whala

1+2+3+4 = oasis

it's to die for.
    oh fuck off
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
    I know i said this (new one) is the best oasis since morning glory?, but i just heard standing on the shoulder of giants again and i think that i am the biggest fan of that album, i was gonna put some songs on my itunes but i ended putting all of them except little james, which was the first song Liam wrote by himself.
    I love the whole thing pretty much, from fXXXin' in the bushes to Roll it over, man i love roll it over and the smooth solo there.
    And also i think Heathen Chemestry gets of to a great start, you can feel the oasis magic on the first three songs and a few others on that album. So i guess i love all oasis albums!
    i love SOTSOG too....Gas Panic! is one of the best songs they have ever done!
    Where did it all go wrong and Who Feels Love? are great too.

YNWA