Toby – Pennyroyal Tea (Nirvana)
    Zayra – 867-5309 (Tommy Tutone)
    Magni – Clocks (Coldplay)
    Jill – Don’t You (Forget About Me) (Simple Minds) <-Breakfast Club Song
    Ryan – Losing My Religion (R.E.M.)
    Lukas – Celebrity Skin (Hole)
    Storm – Changes (David Bowie)
    Dana – Baba O’Riley (The Who)

I have to say that Dana has been growing on me since the start of the show. Her last two weeks have been pretty solid for the tunes she chose.

I have to say that I enjoy watching Zayra every week. We get a laugh at our house. Plus her outfits and the choice of tunes makes us wonder if she is indeed sleeping with Newstead already, and that is why she stays around.

Josh did a nice job last night. But I have to wonder when the people sound like the actual vocals from the tune if it is a good thing. As opposed to having that sound when you would be fronting this band.

My picks for the bottom three this week would be: Lukas (he just plain stunk last night), Patrice (sorry just didn't like her sound), and Zayra (only because she is always there).

I would have much prefered Mr. Lee on the skins for Baba.........You know, just to see what he can really do.

For the person who said they didn't like the REM tune last night. I am with you. It was good. I just didn't enjoy it.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    funkymonk wrote:
    Conspiracy theorists feel that Lukas may have intentionally botched his performance in order to get in the bottom 3 so that he could choose his own song in order to showcase his strengths (whatever those may be) to SN. I mean they are pretty limited in their song selection.

You know, I actually thought something along those lines... not so much so he could sing in the bottom 3, but more that he was trying to expose how weak the judging can be. The fact Zayra/Jill are still there is killing alot of these guys, and you have to wonder if Lucas said something like "fuck it, I could do the worst performance ever and still stay out of the bottom 3".

I mean all his performances have been "performances" until now. Not learning the words to a song shows you just don't care. Constantly having your back to the audience is a ROOKIE mistake, he is a stage pro.... the whole thing seems fishy. I wouldnt be surprised if he says in a blog or after the show that he just went up there with no preparation whatsoever, maybe due to the bland/bad performances by others that still keep them on the show.

All he did was walk back and forth. It really appears that he was TRYING to do a shitty performance. From what Ive seen in his comments on air and in blogs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that was some sort of stunt with another motive behind it.
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
  • funkymonk wrote:
    Conspiracy theorists feel that Lukas may have intentionally botched his performance in order to get in the bottom 3 so that he could choose his own song in order to showcase his strengths (whatever those may be) to SN. I mean they are pretty limited in their song selection.

i think he struggled following ryan ... he was visually awed by the REM cover and may have lost his focus considering all he had to sing was a crappy hole song.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    First, the fashion comments from last night:

Zarex should just play naked.

I started cracking up watching Lukas, the wife asked why and I said all I could think of watching him butcher the song in the ridiculous pink coat was Jon Lovitz in "The Wedding Singer".

Dana obviously has decided that to be a "rocker" she needs to dress like one, so she raided Avril Lavigne's closet and makeup table. She doesn't grasp it.

As for the peformances...

Jill sucked from note 1. I usually like her, and think she's got a smokin' little body, but she was god awful and is headed home tonight methinks.

Lukas was bad, deserves bottom 3 but won't end up there probably.

Ryan or Magni will get the encore.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    i think he struggled following ryan ... he was visually awed by the REM cover and may have lost his focus considering all he had to sing was a crappy hole song.

Like I said above (and am starting to belive this lol), I wouldnt be suprised if Lucas (or any other contenders) ease up on their performances the next few weeks. Seriously though, why show all your tricks and strengths NOW when you will really need them when it gets down to the final 5 etc? There are still at least 4 singers who NEED to go regardless of their performances. Why pull out your best performances at this stage and have no way of topping it? Early on everyone needs to make an impact, but as SN said, once you have "credit built-up" you might as well save some stuff for when the competition gets tighter.

At least, this would be the smart strategy... it may be dangerous to hurt your credibility, but it makes it easier to come back and blow people away in the next few weeks when it REALLY counts. Why waste your best stuff trying to out-perform Jill/Zayra/Josh when those 3 have shown in the past month they have no chance?

I find it hard to beleive Lucas put ANY thought or effort into that performance... I think he had another motive (saving his showmanship, proving a point, wanting bottom 3 etc... who knows).
  • I again thought Storm was great. I think she's becoming my favorite. And I do think she would be able to handle Supernova, to the extent that any female could. Ryan kicked butt last night and I like him, but it doesn't seem like Supernova cares for him all that much (diregarding his performance last night, which they obviously loved).

I still can't stand Jill. And now that she sucked -ss again this week, I'm hoping she's out. Although, my guess is that it will be Zayra who goes, given that she's been in the bottom 3 too many times. Josh should be the 3rd in the bottom 3, but it seems like he has a lot of support from the fans since he didn't end up there last week so I don't know about him.
  • Anyone want to take bets right now?

I would bet just about anything that, assuming Jill Gioia gets booted off the show, within six months of the show being over for the season, she does a spread in Playboy.

Who's with me on this?

Believe me, as a red-blooded American male, I probably won't complain. But she'll be looking for a way to stay in the spotlight after the show is over, and that'll be one way to do it. At the very least, she'll do a naughty Maxim or Blender spread.
    "Tried to walk, found a severed ... Matt???"
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    Josh actually impressed me a little last night with a decent job on Santeria, which is a difficult song to sing, but whoever said he needs to go back to the coffeeshop is right. He seems like a nice guy and even a talented musician but not enough of an over-the-top performer to be a lead singer for a metal band. Not like that's really relevant, since I don't believe that any of the members of Supernova have any intention of actually sticking together for anything other than one half-assed album and 3 or 4 shows. Anyhow, it was funny how Josh wore the rasta hat and made a point to go and nod to the black guy playing the drums after his terrible beat boxing. Ugh.

Jill kind of makes me sad. She has Long Island written all over her (apologies to the Long Islanders out there, but come on, you know better than anybody exactly what I mean). She's kind of past her prime and those boobs couldn't be any faker if they were on her back. She skanks it up way too much, which is a shame because under the bad stripper-dancing she actually has a decent and powerful voice. Unfortunately, when even an 80s hair-metal leftover tells you that you're too skanky you know you have problems. I think she's at the end of her "journey" this week.

It's true that the judges continue to contradict themselves from week to week and even from performer to performer. I think that after they played eveyrbody the Supernova music last week, they had to admit that there wasn't anything RAWK about it, so they had to stop telling the RAWKERS to RAWK harder. Where that leaves our poor poseur Dana, who has over the course of the show learned to chug beer and is getting a tattoo this week, I don't know. She reminds me of myself when I was 14 and I got my ear peirced, started wearing Metallica t-shirts, and grew a mullet thinking it would make me look badass. It didn't. it just made me look like a nerd who thought he looked cool but only looked even more pathetic. Dana needs to embrace her nerdiness, not continue to deny it. I thought Dilana was going to vomit last night when Dana dorkily announced that she was getting a tattoo this week. In fact I think I'm going to vomit right now just thinking about it. My wife predicted that it's going to be a flower on her ankle. If it's not a spdierweb on her face I'm only going to have less respect for that girl. Oh and after hearing her version of Baba O'Riley, how much more glad are you that they never sing any original Pearl Jam songs?

The theme this season has been how badly can we desecrate Kurt Cobain's grave. Last night Toby actually did a decent job with Pennyroyal Tea - I liked the way he turned it into an 80's song with the keyboards and slightly faster tempo. That was 1,000 times more palatable than Josh winking and smiling during that "And I swear that I don't have a gun" line a few weeks ago. MAN, that guy makes bad decisions. I imagine him in the mirror the next day asking "What is WRONG with me, what was I THINKING?!?!" Actually, no, I imagine him smoking a fatty by the pool the next day asking, "yo, are there any more of those waffles?"

I like the conspiracy theory about Lukas. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't trying last night. I thought maybe he was turning around so much to try and hide his massive forehead (It's huuuge, like Sputnik... spherical, yet pointy in parts). Or maybe his ego had run away so much that he just wasn't trying any more. That is possible - I'm sure he realizes that he only has 2 legitimate competitors up there. Either way he's so scary to look at that I hope it completely backfires and he goes home.

Dilana could have gotten a bit lazy too ater all the compliments. Or she may have peaked early. She'll be there at the end, but her act will wear thin after a while, as will her voice. She's not really that strong a singer. She just has that gravelly 3-packs-a-day voice that sounds interesting at first, but last night she couldn't really hold the tune that well. When she starts that leg-stomping dance it looks like she's trying to kill roaches. And there's nothing that annoys me more than that stupid Marilyn Manson goth-stare, which is her only other move. Well, OK, there is something that annoys me more, and that's Dana. But still, Dilana is going to fade and I bet she doesn't even make the finals.

I think you're all missing the point of Zayra. She is so easily my favorite and I think she has become the judges' favorite too. Of all the contestants in this stupid train wreck of a show, she is the only one that I have any interest or curiosity about seeing. She's kind of like Perry Farrell or Axl Rose or something. The clothes, people, the clothes! She dresses like a superhero or Barbarella! And the dancing, what the hell? And where did she come up with that accent? It's not "Latina." Oh, If only she could sing. If she could sing she would win. But thank god they're keeping her around. The show will be 90% less watchable than it is right now the second they get rid of her. I'm glad she's always in the bottom 3, because that way she gets to perform twice a week.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    Anyone want to take bets right now?

I would bet just about anything that, assuming Jill Gioia gets booted off the show, within six months of the show being over for the season, she does a spread in Playboy.

Who's with me on this?

Believe me, as a red-blooded American male, I probably won't complain. But she'll be looking for a way to stay in the spotlight after the show is over, and that'll be one way to do it. At the very least, she'll do a naughty Maxim or Blender spread.
    You say it like its a bad thing.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • I thought maybe he was turning around so much to try and hide his massive forehead (It's huuuge, like Sputnik... spherical, yet pointy in parts).

Yes!!!

Buried within that diatribe was a fantastic reference to "So I Married An Axe Murderer"! Nicely played, man! Nicely played!

"Lukas will be crying himself to sleep tonight on his HUGE pillow. That was a bit offsides, wasn't it?"
    "Lukas will be crying himself to sleep tonight on his HUGE pillow. That was a bit offsides, wasn't it?"

heh - glad somebody got it!
    Josh actually impressed me a little last night with a decent job on Santeria, which is a difficult song to sing, but whoever said he needs to go back to the coffeeshop is right. He seems like a nice guy and even a talented musician but not enough of an over-the-top performer to be a lead singer for a metal band. Not like that's really relevant, since I don't believe that any of the members of Supernova have any intention of actually sticking together for anything other than one half-assed album and 3 or 4 shows. Anyhow, it was funny how Josh wore the rasta hat and made a point to go and nod to the black guy playing the drums after his terrible beat boxing. Ugh.

Jill kind of makes me sad. She has Long Island written all over her (apologies to the Long Islanders out there, but come on, you know better than anybody exactly what I mean). She's kind of past her prime and those boobs couldn't be any faker if they were on her back. She skanks it up way too much, which is a shame because under the bad stripper-dancing she actually has a decent and powerful voice. Unfortunately, when even an 80s hair-metal leftover tells you that you're too skanky you know you have problems. I think she's at the end of her "journey" this week.

It's true that the judges continue to contradict themselves from week to week and even from performer to performer. I think that after they played eveyrbody the Supernova music last week, they had to admit that there wasn't anything RAWK about it, so they had to stop telling the RAWKERS to RAWK harder. Where that leaves our poor poseur Dana, who has over the course of the show learned to chug beer and is getting a tattoo this week, I don't know. She reminds me of myself when I was 14 and I got my ear peirced, started wearing Metallica t-shirts, and grew a mullet thinking it would make me look badass. It didn't. it just made me look like a nerd who thought he looked cool but only looked even more pathetic. Dana needs to embrace her nerdiness, not continue to deny it. I thought Dilana was going to vomit last night when Dana dorkily announced that she was getting a tattoo this week. In fact I think I'm going to vomit right now just thinking about it. My wife predicted that it's going to be a flower on her ankle. If it's not a spdierweb on her face I'm only going to have less respect for that girl. Oh and after hearing her version of Baba O'Riley, how much more glad are you that they never sing any original Pearl Jam songs?

The theme this season has been how badly can we desecrate Kurt Cobain's grave. Last night Toby actually did a decent job with Pennyroyal Tea - I liked the way he turned it into an 80's song with the keyboards and slightly faster tempo. That was 1,000 times more palatable than Josh winking and smiling during that "And I swear that I don't have a gun" line a few weeks ago. MAN, that guy makes bad decisions. I imagine him in the mirror the next day asking "What is WRONG with me, what was I THINKING?!?!" Actually, no, I imagine him smoking a fatty by the pool the next day asking, "yo, are there any more of those waffles?"

I like the conspiracy theory about Lukas. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't trying last night. I thought maybe he was turning around so much to try and hide his massive forehead (It's huuuge, like Sputnik... spherical, yet pointy in parts). Or maybe his ego had run away so much that he just wasn't trying any more. That is possible - I'm sure he realizes that he only has 2 legitimate competitors up there. Either way he's so scary to look at that I hope it completely backfires and he goes home.

Dilana could have gotten a bit lazy too ater all the compliments. Or she may have peaked early. She'll be there at the end, but her act will wear thin after a while, as will her voice. She's not really that strong a singer. She just has that gravelly 3-packs-a-day voice that sounds interesting at first, but last night she couldn't really hold the tune that well. When she starts that leg-stomping dance it looks like she's trying to kill roaches. And there's nothing that annoys me more than that stupid Marilyn Manson goth-stare, which is her only other move. Well, OK, there is something that annoys me more, and that's Dana. But still, Dilana is going to fade and I bet she doesn't even make the finals.

I think you're all missing the point of Zayra. She is so easily my favorite and I think she has become the judges' favorite too. Of all the contestants in this stupid train wreck of a show, she is the only one that I have any interest or curiosity about seeing. She's kind of like Perry Farrell or Axl Rose or something. The clothes, people, the clothes! She dresses like a superhero or Barbarella! And the dancing, what the hell? And where did she come up with that accent? It's not "Latina." Oh, If only she could sing. If she could sing she would win. But thank god they're keeping her around. The show will be 90% less watchable than it is right now the second they get rid of her. I'm glad she's always in the bottom 3, because that way she gets to perform twice a week.

Hilarious... and oh so true... ;) Although I disagree about Zayra.. I can tell you what she will do next song. She will slink around the stage singing pop songs in her broken accent, SCREAM a line or two, and flail out of control. There is nothing unpredictable at all.
    CrazyJD wrote:
    I can tell you what she will do next song. She will slink around the stage singing pop songs in her broken accent, SCREAM a line or two, and flail out of control. There is nothing unpredictable at all.

Well, OK, she will do some of that stuff. But you have to admit, there will be more than that. My favorite was when she sang You Really Got Me in the black cat suit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grS4m2IQYrs

The karate chop dance move? The inexplicably graphic and inappropriate "shoot herself in the head" pantomime, complete with head rocking backwards during the "so I can't sleep" line?

While I was searching for that I also found this clip of Zayra with her own band. Sadly she's not wearing a Futurama outfit, but there is an overactive smoke machine, so that's sort of like bad science fiction. There's less bizarre dancing, but she does have the weird accent and she still can't sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v40_Rvaq_I0

And it looks like the house band hates her too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbIS6YGAYFs
  • I was bored with the performances last night. I wish they would just can all of the singers but Storm, Lukas, Toby, Dilana and Magni. They are the ones that will more than likely fit Supernova's sound should just have them compete the rest of the way. Zayda as entertaining as she is getting old. Hopefully the guys will do the right thing and boot her tonight though i wouldnt be too upset if Jill goes.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Dana got kicked off and not Jill??

Jill had Tommy behind her and still was in the bottom 3 you think that would have said something for the band, what the hell were they thinking?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    pjalive21 wrote:
    Dana got kicked off and not Jill??

Jill had Tommy behind her and still was in the bottom 3 you think that would have said something for the band, what the hell were they thinking?

I think you're getting Patrice confused with Jill...all three of them were bad though and all deserved to go....In my opinion, there will be a few more weeks of obvious choices as they widdle it down to the truly good singers and then this will get really interesting...same thing happened last season
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • There's still quite a few left (in my opinion) that need to go before it gets interesting...

Zayra
    Patrice
    Jill
    Lukas
    Josh

and I was on the fence about Ryan, but he blew me away this week so he has a pass.

And I'm not crazy about Dilana much anymore either.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    lukas is the only one who should win this.he fits the band perfectly,let's be honest.

toby stinks.i don't know why they like him so much.

magnis is ok.

patrice is awful.dave was totally right when he said that she'd be lost in front of that group.

ryan is too soft.do they want an old navy model fronting the band?

it's only a matter of time before zayra is gone...please.

josh??[see comments on ryan]

dilana does that awful "uuggghhh" christina aguilera voice.

storm is ok,but that fake crazy eye look is getting on my last nerve.

jill over sings way to much.

once again,lukas is the only person who shouold win this,and i will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    bluemonkey wrote:
    dilana does that awful "uuggghhh" christina aguilera voice.

storm is ok,but that fake crazy eye look is getting on my last nerve.

jill over sings way to much.
    agreed!

Dilana's voice has gotten old quick, so has her act.
    Storm making faces is very annoying.
    Jill just is not rock...
  • bluemonkey wrote:
    lukas is the only one who should win this.he fits the band perfectly,let's be honest.

I completly disagree. The dude has one voice - I don't really even like the one voice he does have, but I guess I can see how some would.

Lukas fronting a band would turn them into Godsmack - and Sully has a voice I like, but he only has one, so all their songs end up sounding the same to the casual listener.

I even think the band is getting tired of Lukas's identical performances from week to week - so unless he shows he can do different things with his singing I'm thinking, and hoping, he won't make the last 5.
    first off,i don't see a woman as the singer for this band at all...sorry i just don't.you have guys from metallica,motley crue,and guns n' roses and i just don't see any woman singing for them.

that leaves the guys.the only one who has the total package is lukas.the other guys have good voices but mostly look like old navy models.
  • well, than look forward to tracks 1-4 sounding the same, a soft song, 6-10 sounding the same, and a soft song to close it out. I haven't heard anything from Lukas that would make me think he can do anything different vocally.

Even if you like his voice and vocal style, can he do anything else?
    danielson wrote:
    well, than look forward to tracks 1-4 sounding the same, a soft song, 6-10 sounding the same, and a soft song to close it out. I haven't heard anything from Lukas that would make me think he can do anything different vocally.

Even if you like his voice and vocal style, can he do anything else?
    worked for ac/dc,worked for metallica...worked for STP.scott had only 2 maybe 3 voices.worked for GNR.axl had only 2 voices.works for pearl jam.it's not like eddie has 7 voices.i got news for ya...most singers only do 2 maybe 3 voices.it's up to the band to right a variety of different music to make the most of a singers voice.
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Storm! Storm! Storm!
    bluemonkey wrote:
    worked for ac/dc,worked for metallica...worked for STP.scott had only 2 maybe 3 voices.worked for GNR.axl had only 2 voices.works for pearl jam.it's not like eddie has 7 voices.i got news for ya...most singers only do 2 maybe 3 voices.it's up to the band to right a variety of different music to make the most of a singers voice.

I agree... too many people following the competition are making such a big deal out of voice "range" and stuff. Its not American Idol, trying to find the next Celine.

If someone can get up, belt out rock tunes and entertain, thats what they need. They dont need Taylor Hicks. Many (most) major rock acts arent hugely successful because of their lead singers "range".

People say stuff like "Dilana has no range, she has the smoky, stevie nicks-ish one tone voice".... thats a PROBLEM? lol. I could listen to her rendition of songs for hours before I could listen to Patrice or Jill or Toby or Magni using their generic "range" singing voice. I love PJ partly because I enjoy EV's "sound" and voice. I don't care if he can belt out notes like Celine Dion or Mariah Carey or Boyz 2 Men... I like his sound and the way he delivers his songs. Fuck "range".
  • CrazyJD wrote:
    I agree... too many people following the competition are making such a big deal out of voice "range" and stuff. Its not American Idol, trying to find the next Celine.

If someone can get up, belt out rock tunes and entertain, thats what they need. They dont need Taylor Hicks. Many (most) major rock acts arent hugely successful because of their lead singers "range".

People say stuff like "Dilana has no range, she has the smoky, stevie nicks-ish one tone voice".... thats a PROBLEM? lol. I could listen to her rendition of songs for hours before I could listen to Patrice or Jill or Toby or Magni using their generic "range" singing voice. I love PJ partly because I enjoy EV's "sound" and voice. I don't care if he can belt out notes like Celine Dion or Mariah Carey or Boyz 2 Men... I like his sound and the way he delivers his songs. Fuck "range".

rock on, crazy jd. :) i find her performances to be the only ones i will rewind and watch again.
    rock on, crazy jd. :) i find her performances to be the only ones i will rewind and watch again.

I really didn't like her last one. I think 90% of it was the song though, I knew ahead of time I hated the song and was hoping she would change it, she didnt though.... the other 10% was her bouncy delivery and cowgirl pants/country music feel to the performance.

I'll pretend that didnt happen though, and hope she gets back to what she did before next week. ;)
    Did Dana do her tattoo herself? That sorry piece of crap looked like a prison tattoo. Pathetic. I'm glad they voted her goony ass off. It's really a shame they couldn't get rid of all three of those losers, though.

Two big surprises from last night's episode: One, Zayra didn't even make it into the bottom three. She is slowly but surely becoming America's freaky sweetheart, just as I hoped. Second, the mansion has a keg-erator! There was a shot of Lucas filling up a pint glass from a tap, then they pulled back and showed the keg-erator in all its glory next to the pool table. That's sweet. No wonder everybody cries when they get voted off.
    Did Dana do her tattoo herself? That sorry piece of crap looked like a prison tattoo. Pathetic. I'm glad they voted her goony ass off. It's really a shame they couldn't get rid of all three of those losers, though.

Two big surprises from last night's episode: One, Zayra didn't even make it into the bottom three. She is slowly but surely becoming America's freaky sweetheart, just as I hoped. Second, the mansion has a keg-erator! There was a shot of Lucas filling up a pint glass from a tap, then they pulled back and showed the keg-erator in all its glory next to the pool table. That's sweet. No wonder everybody cries when they get voted off.

yeah I was shocked that with the tattoo artists likely available to these guys, and the input from her multi-tattoed housemates and interviewers, that a seemingly pen-drawn TREBLE CLEF was the end result.

Jill and Zayra have no hope in hell, but it was time for Dana to go.
  • CrazyJD wrote:
    yeah I was shocked that with the tattoo artists likely available to these guys, and the input from her multi-tattoed housemates and interviewers, that a seemingly pen-drawn TREBLE CLEF was the end result.

Ha! I thought the same thing! I looked at it and said, "Jeezus... that's drawn on with a pen! That's not even a real tat!" Of course, I don't have any tats myself, so I'm no expert. But that sure looked phony.