Supernova

Comments

• even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Maybe they ALL didn't know The Who tune and she just stepped up to the plate. Nobody jumped at the tune to sing it now did they?

Good to see Mucas has put a skunk on his heed to cover that forehead up.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Lukas should just join the Billy Idol tribute band he is obviously longing to join. Everytime he opens his mouth or sneers I just think "one trick billy idol pony".

I think it will come down to Dylana or Magni.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    even flow? wrote:
    Maybe they ALL didn't know The Who tune and she just stepped up to the plate. Nobody jumped at the tune to sing it now did they?
    I find it very hard to believe that all 10 of them had never heard of "Won't Get Fooled Again".
    Christ its the theme song for CSI Miami or Topeka or Anchorage.

The only one I would give a pass to on not knowing that song is Zarex cause she's in her own world.
    Any classic rock station has it as a staple.
    And before rock radio became "classic" and "alternative" and whatever, when rock stations just played rock as its own genre, it was a staple.

When I was younger and radio stations all did their "top 500 songs all time" countdown every Memorial Day weekend (and most all of them did, some still do), WGFA would routinely place 4th.
    Almost every station's top 4 was:
    1. Stairway to Heaven
    2. Freebird
    3. Jumpin' Jack Flash
    4. Won't get Fooled Again
    granted that was the routine in the 1980's but this is by no means an obscure song.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    Don't forget also that as Brooke said many times "She grew up poor in Africa"... now, I have heard the song many times without even being a big Who fan growing up, mostly on classic rock radio stations. But its possible in her Africa/Euro upbringing (I beleive she made europe her home for a while) that she had just not heard the song... like someone said, if you weren't a fan of The Who (not everyone is) you may not be really familiar with their tunes.

I read something by one of the house band members that said Zayra really has no musical knowledge at all, that there was a big generation gap.... she hadnt even heard the song 867-5309 before (and she altered it right away lol).
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
    I think in Europe she'd have heard the Who...since they come from there.
    Africa maybe not.
  • like gilby is a who fan and probably sees them as heroes, from what i gather from watching the show...i know newkid is a misfits fan, so maybe he would be surprised if one of the singers didn't know "angelfuck", "she", "we are 138", or "tv casualty"...i don't think it would prevent him from letting someone be a lead singer in a band he is forming if they have the talent and ability to do the job.

Please do not compare knowing a misfits song to knowing a who tune.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Please do not compare knowing a misfits song to knowing a who tune.

just forget it man...pages and a thread over knowing a song!!! fuck's sakes...i don't like the who and i don't listen to them.

for me, i like the misfits, and i know newkid likes the misfits more than the who. that's the point i was trying to make, that the misfits are more influential for him than the who...and that he wouldn't choose to not select someone as a lead singer because they didn't know ONE misfits song!

it's not worth arguing over...it's just a tv show and a band for fuck's sakes...
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Please do not compare knowing a misfits song to knowing a who tune.

why not?

it's just like 'us' PJ fans thinking "how can she not know Present Tense?? It's like, a top 5 PJ song!"

but the fact is, if you don't listen to PJ, you wouldn't know it.
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • why not?

it's just like 'us' PJ fans thinking "how can she not know Present Tense?? It's like, a top 5 PJ song!"

but the fact is, if you don't listen to PJ, you wouldn't know it.

thanks ceg. sorry if i offended any who fans. i didn't think it was a big deal...
  • q104.3 All Time Rock Song List

1 :: Led Zeppelin :: Stairway To Heaven
    2 :: The Who :: Baba O'Riley
    3 :: Derek And The Dominos :: Layla
    4 :: Lynyrd Skynyrd :: Freebird
    5 :: The Who :: Won't Get Fooled Again
    6 :: The Eagles :: Hotel California
    7 :: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band :: Born To Run
    8 :: Queen :: Bohemian Rhapsody
    9 :: Rolling Stones :: Sympathy For The Devil
    10 :: Pink Floyd :: Wish You Were Here

Said it once and i will say it again. The fact that Dilana did not know WGFA is Pathetic. We are not talking about misfits, PJ or anyone else, this is the fucking who.

Mookie, any other song in the above you don't know?
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • i don't know any of them harryarsehole ;) ead :)
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    well i cant disagree with the cuts tonight and as i said yesterday and Josh said tonight he doesnt fit the mold of this band and he knew it...he is best off doing his own thing

one thing i dont know if people know or not is that each of these contestants have no idea what band they are trying out for and i doubt Josh would have tried out knowing who the band was

i dont know if the process they use is good or not, but hey whatever :)
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    i was happy to see the double cut tonight....next week the double cut should be zyara[spelling?]and patrice.
  • lovebuzzlovebuzz Posts: 42
    1) They have all heard instrumental versions of Supernova songs just waiting for lyrics. If they don't have an idea of what kind of music they'll be making at this point, then they deserve to be cut.

2) Dilana not knowing WGFA - big f'in deal. I don't know a lotta Stones songs, don't know a lot of Floyd songs by name, and I know a bunch of kids who grew up on punk who know every single Minor Threat and Circle Jerks songs, but wouldn't know Pete Towshend if he smacked them over the head with his guitar. Point is, you can be well educated on the topic of music, but not know a single song from the "classic" top 10 - but you can put the balls to the wall and rock out just the same!

3) Lukas showed incredible diversity this past week. He's had a real rough edge to his voice for the early weeks, and I think that is a product of both the music he probably inspires to make and what he thought Supernova would make. This week, however, he finally understood that showing your diversity is a good thing - I loved that he was able to pull off THE note from Creep, and think it showed incredible talent.

4) I like Josh - I like his attitude, I like how he can be laid back and really find soul behind a song. I like Josh doing just about anything that he's not "forced" to do. He knew what Supernova probably wanted, but he just went out and did his thing - and when he did his OWN version of songs, he sounded his best (tonight he sounded great). However, he did NOT deserve to be cut the same night as Jill...

5) Which brings me to this: Jill, Zyara (or Zai-eeee-da as they pronounce it) and Ryan, on nearly every night, prove they can't sing. Ryan had a good night with the REM tune. Jill had ONE good night when she actually sang - every other night has been a freakin scream-a-thon that has hurt my ears and scared the shit out of my cat. Zyara... she's so far out of her league. Her voice is so far off every night, and I had to check to find out if VoteForTheWorst.com wasn't sponsering her. She lacks any ounce of musical talent/ability - if anyone votes for her or likes her over someone who can actually sing (but may be out of their element - Josh for example), then you are clearly voting just to keep the show interesting, not based on who deserves to be there.

Anwyay, I also loved Magni's performance from last night, definately dug tonights, and think he's probably the most levelheaded, best natural talent in the show. In the end, it'll be Dilana or Lukas thought (which is fine - I wanna see Magni and his band get big after this and play up in Boston!).
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    lovebuzz wrote:
    1) They have all heard instrumental versions of Supernova songs just waiting for lyrics. If they don't have an idea of what kind of music they'll be making at this point, then they deserve to be cut.

2) Dilana not knowing WGFA - big f'in deal. I don't know a lotta Stones songs, don't know a lot of Floyd songs by name, and I know a bunch of kids who grew up on punk who know every single Minor Threat and Circle Jerks songs, but wouldn't know Pete Towshend if he smacked them over the head with his guitar. Point is, you can be well educated on the topic of music, but not know a single song from the "classic" top 10 - but you can put the balls to the wall and rock out just the same!

3) Lukas showed incredible diversity this past week. He's had a real rough edge to his voice for the early weeks, and I think that is a product of both the music he probably inspires to make and what he thought Supernova would make. This week, however, he finally understood that showing your diversity is a good thing - I loved that he was able to pull off THE note from Creep, and think it showed incredible talent.

4) I like Josh - I like his attitude, I like how he can be laid back and really find soul behind a song. I like Josh doing just about anything that he's not "forced" to do. He knew what Supernova probably wanted, but he just went out and did his thing - and when he did his OWN version of songs, he sounded his best (tonight he sounded great). However, he did NOT deserve to be cut the same night as Jill...

5) Which brings me to this: Jill, Zyara (or Zai-eeee-da as they pronounce it) and Ryan, on nearly every night, prove they can't sing. Ryan had a good night with the REM tune. Jill had ONE good night when she actually sang - every other night has been a freakin scream-a-thon that has hurt my ears and scared the shit out of my cat. Zyara... she's so far out of her league. Her voice is so far off every night, and I had to check to find out if VoteForTheWorst.com wasn't sponsering her. She lacks any ounce of musical talent/ability - if anyone votes for her or likes her over someone who can actually sing (but may be out of their element - Josh for example), then you are clearly voting just to keep the show interesting, not based on who deserves to be there.

Anwyay, I also loved Magni's performance from last night, definately dug tonights, and think he's probably the most levelheaded, best natural talent in the show. In the end, it'll be Dilana or Lukas thought (which is fine - I wanna see Magni and his band get big after this and play up in Boston!).

wow...great points and i agree with you on all of them...niiiiiiice

i think Lukas pulling out Creep and nailing it pretty much shut everyone up about his voice being one dimensional...that song is not cake by any means
  • So finally SuperNova kicked out 2 people at once!

i like the show and all but they need to speed things up.

this Z girl isn't great. Jill and Patrice are equally bad. Storm is really annoying..

my final 3 are Lukas, Magni and Dilana

but really hope Lukas wins, but i'd be fine if Magni wins he has great voice, just not sure if i wuold go watch him at a show...

anyways i'm sort biast i guess being here in Canada - but still Lukas i dont know just seems really entertaining
    Keep on Rockin'
  • i don't know any of them harryarsehole ;) ead :)

don;t know how to respond to the above mookie suckmycock
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    q104.3 All Time Rock Song List

1 :: Led Zeppelin :: Stairway To Heaven

Not a bad list.... I would have it very similar, except for one change at the top...

1 :: David Lee Roth - Just a Gigolo
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
  • don;t know how to respond to the above mookie suckmycock

hey, you wanted to be a dick over something petty. you're just words on a screen, so i'll just put you on ignore. easy enough.
  • another awful performance by lukas
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    wait a minute,........

:confused:

that Zyrida gal is still on that show ?

3 weeks in ? :confused:

thats whack- this show is crooked as hell if shes still around,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wait a minute,........

that Zyrida gal is still on that show ?

3 weeks in ? :confused:

thats whack- this show is crooked as hell if shes still around,...
    Actually its like 6 weeks and Zarex is still there.
  • hey, you wanted to be a dick over something petty. you're just words on a screen, so i'll just put you on ignore. easy enough.

i simply asked what other classic songs do you not know ... at this point i am guessing there is more than one.
  • Yay!! Jill is finally gone!
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    If only the Zayratron 3000 could sing. If she could sing just a little... if she could carry a tune, or had some rhythym, or could speak English, she would win in a landslide. I would even vote. She fascinates me to no end; she is 1 million times more entertaining than the rest of those cookie-cutter, mall-ternative, dime-a-dozen nu-metal 90s rejects that trot out there every week. Some of my favorite Zayra highlights:

-the shooting herself in the head pantomime dance
    -the "when your records came out I was in diapers" comment
    -the power rangers outfit
    -she made this comment once about how she likes electronic music, which she thinks is an important element of Supernova's music
    -the karate chop dance
    -the gold bodysuit & top hat... WTF?

Note how she has avoided the bottom 3 two weeks in a row now. Zayra fever is slowly sweeping the nation, my friends. If only she could sing.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • another awful performance by lukas

agreed.
  • i sorta like that one guy, i forget his name - the one who has been in the bottom 3, and everyone's always surprised. anyways, he did a version of that pet shop boys song last night, and it was really good. i was impressed. i think he's gonna win.

lucas is one ugly motherfucker.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    anyways, he did a version of that pet shop boys song last night, and it was really good.
    ???

Do you mean Depeche Mode??
  • Yay!! Jill is finally gone!

I second that. I've been saying Jill should be kicked off since day 1.

I'm not sure why everyone is dismissing Storm. She's been strong every week and the band seems to like her. I could understand not thinking that she will ultimately win but she is clearly a contender.
  • I second that. I've been saying Jill should be kicked off since day 1.

I'm not sure why everyone is dismissing Storm. She's been strong every week and the band seems to like her. I could understand not thinking that she will ultimately win but she is clearly a contender.

she has been getting better for me. she sounds really good on the mp3's i've found. watching the show and listening on tv, you can tell certain people don't have the best voice, but it really shows on the mp3's. some of them sound pretty bad. i've found storm, magni, and dilana sound really good on the mp3's.