Supernova

Comments

• can't say that i care too much for phil singing white rabbit, but damn it was good to see newkid on the bass, and in a voivod tee, no less!!! :D
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    how could have they liked that rendition of "Everybody Hurts"????? it sucked

were they listening to the same thing i was??

i had someone in my shop here at work and they said the same thing so at least it just wasnt me
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    pjalive21 wrote:
    how could have they liked that rendition of "Everybody Hurts"????? it sucked

were they listening to the same thing i was??

i had someone in my shop here at work and they said the same thing so at least it just wasnt me

She has a nice voice.... but it must get annoying to the rockers who get BLASTED by the group for not "rocking out" the crowd or choosing boring songs... then have "everybody hurts" where she sings it like she's on American Idol get all sorts of praise...

Alot of contradiction from the band...
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    CrazyJD wrote:
    She has a nice voice.... but it must get annoying to the rockers who get BLASTED by the group for not "rocking out" the crowd or choosing boring songs... then have "everybody hurts" where she sings it like she's on American Idol get all sorts of praise...

Alot of contradiction from the band...

you got a point

IMO is between Lucas and Dilana
  • as a cranberries fan, i must say that it was strange to hear someone other than delores singing zombie, but i have to say that dilana did the song justice in her own way. i would have really enjoyed hearing her sing the whole song.

again, i hope she gets the encore so i can see her again! she's the one i like the most, by far! great job, i thought.
  • Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    I am hopelessly addicted to this show.

I like Magni and Toby.

I'm not a fan of the chick singers...most of them belong on American Idol anyway.

I keep wondering if one of them will do a Pearl Jam song...
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
    as a cranberries fan, i must say that it was strange to hear someone other than delores singing zombie, but i have to say that dilana did the song justice in her own way. i would have really enjoyed hearing her sing the whole song.

again, i hope she gets the encore so i can see her again! she's the one i like the most, by far! great job, i thought.

Yeah the abbreviated versions of the songs arent always the most enjoyable to listen to. But still, another addicting Dilana performance... she has such presence. Really makes the "Drive" girl before her seem even more plain.

Magni did a good version of STP.... starting to not really like Toby.... Storm rocks and looks incredible doing it also. And I think that Phil really improved in my eyes... a bit weird, like Raine from OLP, but with a good voice.

IF they go with a girl, I still think Dilana's uniqueness and presence has her way out in front. Storm might have an outside shot, maybe too clean. For the guys, Lucas obviously fits the mold but his personality might be an issue. I'd say best chances are Lucas..... then Phil, Toby, Magni maybe.

Dana, Ryan, Zayra have no hope in hell. The rest will need to pull a massive rabbit from their hat in the coming weeks to make a bigger impression.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    ryan and magni are my favorites so far and i also really liked what phil and lukas did this week....i dont care for many of the woman singers and i cant remember the names of the ones i thought were decent
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I thought that Dilana was excellent again tonight. I was browsing the website and you can check out each singers' favorite songs. Pearl Jam was pretty well represented on the lists. Seems like several of them have very good musical taste. I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't seeing stuff like Nickelback and Bon Jovi on the lists. Check out each singer's list here: http://music.msn.com/themusic/ryan
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    damn Josh has "Steel Rain" by Chris Cornell. a rarity!
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • adam42381 wrote:
    I thought that Dilana was excellent again tonight. I was browsing the website and you can check out each singers' favorite songs. Pearl Jam was pretty well represented on the lists. Seems like several of them have very good musical taste. I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't seeing stuff like Nickelback and Bon Jovi on the lists. Check out each singer's list here: http://music.msn.com/themusic/ryan

thanks for posting this adam. interesting to take a look at their lists. PJ is pretty well represented. good to see RAGE on a couple of lists as well...especially dilana's! she also has zombie on there, so it's cool that she got to sing it.

patrice earned a couple of respect points from me for picking neil young's "sugar mountain" ;) sweet, sweet tune...
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    LedZepFan wrote:
    damn Josh has "Steel Rain" by Chris Cornell. a rarity!
    I was very surprised that he had such good songs on his list. Afterall, he did sing a Creed song, right!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Dana, Ryan, Zayra have no hope in hell.

I would replace Ryan on that list with Jill. She's...um...I just don't see it. Plus I kind of like Ryan. He has PJ on his playlist!
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Please Kill Me Now: Everybody Hurts
    Awful: The Bon Jovi song, All Right Now, Come As You Are
    Snore...: Drive, Plush
    Meh: Let's Spend The Night Together, Runaway Train, Fortunate Son
    Alright...: Helter Skelter, Just What I Needed, White Rabbit
    Let's Hear That Again: Zombie

If it wasn't for Dilana, there'd be no reason to watch this. Storm and Lukas do have some personality, but Dilana's pretty much the only one who's got that air of unpredictability. Lithium was ok, Ring Of Fire was brilliant, and Zombie was a class above everyone else. Give her a challenge, I say. Polyphonic Spree's Light And Day or Radiohead's Everything In It's Right Place. Neither would suit the band, but screw them. It'd make great tv.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    I would replace Ryan on that list with Jill. She's...um...I just don't see it. Plus I kind of like Ryan. He has PJ on his playlist!

ryan, previously fronting a band while playing guitar and more recently performing behind a baby grand, is still gettting used to the stage. however, when that time comes, i don't expect him to choreograph his moves like the dilana or skunky either.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
    Hinny wrote:
    Please Kill Me Now: Everybody Hurts
    Awful: The Bon Jovi song, All Right Now, Come As You Are
    Snore...: Drive, Plush
    Meh: Let's Spend The Night Together, Runaway Train, Fortunate Son
    Alright...: Helter Skelter, Just What I Needed, White Rabbit
    Let's Hear That Again: Zombie

If it wasn't for Dilana, there'd be no reason to watch this. Storm and Lukas do have some personality, but Dilana's pretty much the only one who's got that air of unpredictability. Lithium was ok, Ring Of Fire was brilliant, and Zombie was a class above everyone else. Give her a challenge, I say. Polyphonic Spree's Light And Day or Radiohead's Everything In It's Right Place. Neither would suit the band, but screw them. It'd make great tv.

I didn't mind the way Come as you are SOUNDED, a bit of a twist... but that guys voice is just uncomfortable. He could have a career creating his own sound, but not fronting a metal band. Plush was done very well I thought.

RUNAWAY TRAIN wow what a bad song for this competition. But what I don't understand is these contestants are given these songs to sing by the show, then the band will trash them for boring songs or choices. Why don't they put up like 30 songs to pick from? I mean, SOMEBODY has to do them.

And yeah the only thing worse than Bon Jovi's Its My Life, was Dana singing it. I actually like Bon Jovi's real version more, and thats saying something.

The only performers I sit up to watch is Lucas, Dilana and maybe Storm, because she plays on her incredible hottness. Many others are good singers/talents, but don't bring anything to the stage that you can't see in a Karaoke bar.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    ryan, previously fronting a band while playing guitar and more recently performing behind a baby grand, is still gettting used to the stage. however, when that time comes, i don't expect him to choreograph his moves like the dilana or skunky either.
    I don't think that time will come.
    Ryan's resemblance to David Blaine is apropos as he's gonna make himself disappear from the show shortly.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Vital73Vital73 Posts: 34
    Hinny wrote:

I am just not sold on Dilana's voice yet. Yeah she can perform and she has the attitude, but her voice just does nothing for me. Lucas is bad ass as is Joy. I think Storm did ok, but you could tell she was being careful with her stage presence and I think held back a bit. She will bounce back strong. I think it'll be Storm and Lucas in the finale....
    I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
    Oh, I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired
    I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind
    Hey, I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind
    They sent Jenny home... the right choice. She was too mellow the entire time, and when she did bring out a hard rocker in "Vasoline", her voice just didn't cut it. Dana shocked me and KILLED the Sass Jordan tune (a "greatest hit" in Canada many years ago, but an "underground" song as she called it LOL). The other guy brought out Heart Shaped Box and actually did some yelling to show he can rock out, but I'm not buying it. So he can yell... its obvious his strength is in mellow coffee house versions of songs, not a rock band lead singer. He'll hang around because there are more people that have to go before him.
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    the sass jordan underground comment was comical ... she wants to be hard but cannot ... everyone has hinted that she does not belong there (from Dilana's comments to tommy lees "born to be mild") but ryan has been the only one to say it. another joke is you can see her holding the rock & roll hand gesture making sure she gets it right.

they are obviously rigging it so dilana sticks around for a bit ... zombie was an obvious fit for her and she is also getting a light show during her performances that the others are not getting.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
    the sass jordan underground comment was comical ... she wants to be hard but cannot ... everyone has hinted that she does not belong there (from Dilana's comments to tommy lees "born to be mild") but ryan has been the only one to say it. another joke is you can see her holding the rock & roll hand gesture making sure she gets it right.

they are obviously rigging it so dilana sticks around for a bit ... zombie was an obvious fit for her and she is also getting a light show during her performances that the others are not getting.

I disagree completely. For one, in the "reality" part of the show, the singers are shown talking about Zombie saying "do you want Zombie?" and someone is quick to say "nah I dont want Zombie"... obviously it could have been taken. Seemed like a great song for some of these rockers to really show off their ability to rock out.

Also, they all get lights and effects, and as you've seen in the rehearsals the singers can have the band play any tune a certain way.

Imagine Jenny or Josh or Ryan doing "ring of fire"... NEVER would they have altered it that way. Even more obvious as Josh has done with 2 Nirvana songs, imagine if he had got "Lithium" to start. He would have done it exactly the way he did "Come as you are", no doubt about it. But Dilana got it, and made it a memorable performance holding her stance through the heavy rock, wearing a hood and peering around the crowd in a creepy way. Do you think Dilana would have sung "Drive" by Incubus anything like Jenny did? (which was like the original).

Dilana isnt being given a free pass whatsoever, she is creating the lasting effect herself. I doubt even her biggest critics (i.e. fans of the other singers ;) ) fast forward through her performances or even look away...
  • Yeah, I don't think Dilana needs any "rigging." I mean, I am not a huge fan of hers but she is definitely holding her own.

As for Jenny being eliminated, eh...I think it was clear between her performance and Dana's that Dana's voice is just stronger. I think if they'd had any excuse to get rid of Dana instead they would have, but based on the performances they really didn't. And Josh, well, he's clearly not right for them but you can tell they like him (as does the audience) so he was not going to be the one to go, not last night anyway.

Oh, and one more thing. I still don't understand why the band likes Jill. They actually cited her as one of the three best performances from the night before. I really don't get it, she is not their style.
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    This show is better than last years, only because they formed a band for this one. atleast the singer wont be compared to the last and first singer in the band. kind of like the Van Halen issue (i heard that van halen got offered to do the show too)

anyways, i have more respect for the people on this show than the last.
  • The African chick annoys me, not sure what it is, but i see her as a one trick pony, i find its the same vocal style all the time.

She comes across all twisted and strange but goes back instantly girly a few times, it annoys me lol.

Top three will be Toby, Lukis and Dilana everyone knows that, but she wont win, i cant see a chick leading a band like that

i hope the fucking spanish bitch goes this week!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
    The African chick annoys me, not sure what it is, but i see her as a one trick pony, i find its the same vocal style all the time.

She comes across all twisted and strange but goes back instantly girly a few times, it annoys me lol.

Top three will be Toby, Lukis and Dilana everyone knows that, but she wont win, i cant see a chick leading a band like that

i hope the fucking spanish bitch goes this week!

I see some people saying her sound/voice doesn't change, "one trick pony" as you say lol.... but what other performers have been changing the way they sound? With pretty much everybody, I can picture them performing any song the same way, with the same sound, maybe more yelling. Dilana has gone from psycho LITHIUM to soothing, sexy RING OF FIRE and back to ZOMBIE. I like that she seems like a genuine, caring well-travelled pro off stage, but thrives on stage. Very intriguing person. I can see myself at a concert getting pumped as she comes out to perform...moreso than seeing a Magni or Josh or JD Fortune....

But yeah, if not for the need for TV episodes, Supernova could send 80% of them home now.
  • CrazyJD wrote:
    I see some people saying her sound/voice doesn't change, "one trick pony" as you say lol.... but what other performers have been changing the way they sound? With pretty much everybody, I can picture them performing any song the same way, with the same sound, maybe more yelling. Dilana has gone from psycho LITHIUM to soothing, sexy RING OF FIRE and back to ZOMBIE. I like that she seems like a genuine, caring well-travelled pro off stage, but thrives on stage. Very intriguing person. I can see myself at a concert getting pumped as she comes out to perform...moreso than seeing a Magni or Josh or JD Fortune....

But yeah, if not for the need for TV episodes, Supernova could send 80% of them home now.

have to agree crazjd. well said.

i've heard ring of fire a million times, but i have never heard anyone do a version like that. also, zombie is a difficult song to sing, and dilana pulled it off better than i would have thought anyone could.
  • sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    CrazyJD wrote:
    Lucas obviously fits the mold but his personality might be an issue.

Gilby -- worked with Axl Rose.
    Tommy -- worked with Vince Neil.
    Jason -- worked with James Hetfield.

Somehow, I don't see personality being an issue. :)
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Lukas isnt going anywhere sure he is the front runner, im curious to see what he writes when the show gets to the rockers performing originals. And how the hell is Zayra still on the show?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    CrazyJD wrote:
    But she rebounded very well with her Bring me to Life song... Looked better, sounded a whole lot better.

Did you see Zayra's face when Jill was singing Bring me to life?! She was mega pissed off cause Jill sang it a million times better than she did the week before!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    Dana doing Sass Jordan showed she's got a great voice, far and away the best of this lot, but she's so not a rocker... really no matter how great she can sing she just won't fit.
    The other final 3 boy, Josh Logan, really kind of sucks, sounds like Kermit the Frog when he tries to do Cobain. Very wrong for our band, INXS, er SuperNova. And doesn't seem to get what they're saying to him.

I still say it comes down to Lukas, Toby and Dilana. But I think the've already hired Lukas.
    Magni and Jill should round out the final 5.
    This weekend we rock Portland