Supernova

Comments

• brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    zstillings wrote:
    Chances are we won't be hearing from any of these barroom crooners again after this show. Magni is the only one left with even an ounce of talent and people find him boring.

i agree. someone posted some covers he did w/ his band, not too bad.

he reminds me of someone that would be in a Finger Eleven type band, and not just because he's bald.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    bluemonkey wrote:
    finally someone not talking out their ass around here...lukas is by far the best for supernova.secondly,i don't know why everyone acts like all they do is compliment him.they take little jabs at him all the time.if anyone has gotten off with little to no criticism,it has been toby...which i don't understand.

I agree lol... not even a "OK, How many times have you gone into the audience?" comment? ;)

He basically just bounces and fist pumps and yells ala Billy Idol...
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    CrazyJD wrote:
    Billy Idol...

He's been pretty successful throughout his career.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    brainofPJ wrote:
    i agree. someone posted some covers he did w/ his band, not too bad.

he reminds me of someone that would be in a Finger Eleven type band, and not just because he's bald.

Finger Eleven...thats funny (friends of mine - not a fan of their music, but they are great guys and put on a really fun show....definitely not boring live)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    Finger Eleven...thats funny (friends of mine - not a fan of their music, but they are great guys and put on a really fun show....definitely not boring live)

i thought i could never get into them...until i saw them live. definitely not boring like you said. hence, i have seen them 5 or 6 times. i like how they play tiny club shows.

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    brainofPJ wrote:
    i thought i could never get into them...until i saw them live. definitely not boring like you said. hence, i have seen them 5 or 6 times. i like how they play tiny club shows.

Went to school with them....they used to be called the Rainbow Butt Monkeys (they were really fun back in the day - kinda funky RHCP, FNM vibe)....a little to "angst"y for me these days, but still one of the best live bands i've seen. James is a madman on guitar

.....sorry for stealing your Supernova thread....im done
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • i almost forgot about that stupid "EVS" shit with toby.....enough already.he really bugs me.what a bad choice he will be for them if they do so.he looks like he could sing for three doors down,which is totally gay.if that's what they are looking for,more power to them,but count me out.i don't care how much he gets the audience involved.it gets old quik.i know every gimmick he will use during every song.he'll hold the mic out for the crowd to sing,and he'll walk through the audience,and or pull someone onstage.such a cheesy jerk off.
    bluemonkey wrote:
    i almost forgot about that stupid "EVS" shit with toby.....enough already.he really bugs me.what a bad choice he will be for them if they do so.he looks like he could sing for three doors down,which is totally gay.if that's what they are looking for,more power to them,but count me out.i don't care how much he gets the audience involved.it gets old quik.i know every gimmick he will use during every song.he'll hold the mic out for the crowd to sing,and he'll walk through the audience,and or pull someone onstage.such a cheesy jerk off.

Do you really think this band will be long lasting with any of these jerk-offs?
    Todd76 wrote:
    Went to school with them....they used to be called the Rainbow Butt Monkeys (they were really fun back in the day - kinda funky RHCP, FNM vibe)....a little to "angst"y for me these days, but still one of the best live bands i've seen. James is a madman on guitar

.....sorry for stealing your Supernova thread....im done

i do seem to remember that name...probably from surfing the net though. i know what you mean by angst y, but they don't bother me as much as some other bands do.

• zstillings wrote:
    Do you really think this band will be long lasting with any of these jerk-offs?
    maybe not.but i think they can be pretty cool with lukas as the singer.i know they would put together a pretty rocking studio album.the thing is that i actually want to be a fan of this band.most of the people who are bashing everything about the band and lukas don't even give a shit who the group picks because they never intended to be a fan anyway,probably including you.no offense at all to you.i'm not trying to get cute with you.
    bluemonkey wrote:
    maybe not.but i think they can be pretty cool with lukas as the singer.i know they would put together a pretty rocking studio album.the thing is that i actually want to be a fan of this band.most of the people who are bashing everything about the band and lukas don't even give a shit who the group picks because they never intended to be a fan anyway,probably including you.no offense at all to you.i'm not trying to get cute with you.

I wouldn't mind being a fan of this band. I would not be able to be a fan of a band with Lukas as the singer though. All of the people who I found potentially interesting are gone though. I even liked one of the earliest cut singers better than any of these. I just don't find anything interesting about Lukas. I guess I don't find anything interesting about any of the remaining people except maybe Magni.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Judging from the songs they played I wouldnt buy that album. Their songs are horrible. The contestants original songs were superior imo.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    libragirl wrote:
    Judging from the songs they played I wouldnt buy that album. Their songs are horrible. The contestants original songs were superior imo.

I agree. I didn't find some of the music all that horrible when they played a few tracks earlier in the season though. I think if they would have picked a singer with more creativity they could have been a decent band.
    zstillings wrote:
    I agree. I didn't find some of the music all that horrible when they played a few tracks earlier in the season though. I think if they would have picked a singer with more creativity they could have been a decent band.

The song they did the songwriting clinic too sounded pretty cool... but they didnt play it.

Dilana's song w/ SN: Very KISS like, her voice added to the cheesy rock sound I think... lyrics and the "yeah yeah YEAH yeah's" drive me crazy. Not a fan

Toby's song: I actually dont mind the speaking part... but when they break out the HEY HEY HEY, HO HO HO's they lose me... CHEEEEEESE

Lukas: Maybe this is a sign he brings a sound I think could be cool, because I didnt mind that song. MAybe sung by someone else it would have been even more cheese.

Magni: Dont even remember it really... plain song, the least unique song they played. Not terrible, but would never get off the ground if this were a young band starting out.
  • I think if Lukas is the lead singer give him time with Butch Walker (who is producing the album) and let Jason and Gilby work with him who knows what they may come up with.
  • Not a huge fan of Dilana but here's what Gilby had to say about her and Dave. Dave, by the way, appears to be showing his true colours this season as an obnoxious ass.

"SUPERNOVA/ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke tells AOL Music he was surprised by how the "Rock Star: Supernova" voting has turned on original frontrunner Dilana, who was grilled by co-host Dave Navarro for bad-mouthing her fellow contestants. "She wasn't chastised by any band members, if you noticed," Clarke said. "Dave made a comment, like, 'What are you doing?' Did you notice the three of us shut our mouths? Because we've all been there. We've all made mistakes, and to be honest with you, I didn't think it was that big of a mistake."

Read more at AOL Music."
  • I'm still trying to figure out how the fuck Dilana is still on the show. She has to be one of the worst singers I have ever heard. And how could she not know what Behind Blue Eyes sounds like??? I'm pretty sure any fan of rock music knows that song if you like it or not.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I think Dilana is pretty much out of the running...I think they are going to give it to Toby.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Storm Large was on the Ellen DeGeneres Show today. She performed We Are the Champions with the keyboard player from the houseband. However, before they did the song she said that she would be with them (the houseband) when they open for Supernova. So either she IS the sole singer for the houseband or a number of the contestants will be sharing the duties. Did anyone else catch that?
  • yeah the ex contestants will be opening for supernova, they announced that last week
    and panic channel will be playing too!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Internet rumours!

1) From a post the Velvet Rope:

"Gilby Clarke played at the Cat Club on Sunset this past Saturday with the revolving-door band The Starfuckers. I was out on the back patio before the performance, while Gilby was having a fairly loud conversation about the show with Riki Rachtman and his wife. I overheard Gilby state that Lukas thinks he has already won, but that he doesn't have a chance. He and Tommy don't like him and don't want him fronting the band."

2) From a post by "mamaloo" at TVSquad:

"Industry insiders (one of which sleeps in my bed at night) speculate that Lukas' appearance on this show is merely to launch him as a solo artist in Canada - that Universal made a few calls to get Lukas included in the show and that his being there consititutes the most fabulous marketing exposure ever."

Followed-up a few posts later with ...

"I need to adjust what I said slightly: After discussing what I wrote with my insider source [cough]husband[cough], he corrected a couple of facts.
    Lukas has a publishing and development deal with EMI publishing. Which means he publishes songs through them and they license their use in movies, TV and advertising.

The development deal means they are trying to get him on a major label. Since EMI Publishing is part of Universal, I made the leap that he already had a deal at Universal. He doesn't. But, the rest of the theory holds up, still. I believe that he'll be releasing through Universal the minute he is released from the show, unless a different label offers a more lucrative contract.

Again, this is marketing only for Lukas. I have serious doubts he's a serious contender for the ultimate job of singing lead for Supernova."
  • rockpants wrote:
    Internet rumours!

"Gilby Clarke played at the Cat Club on Sunset this past Saturday with the revolving-door band The Starfuckers. I was out on the back patio before the performance, while Gilby was having a fairly loud conversation about the show with Riki Rachtman and his wife. I overheard Gilby state that Lukas thinks he has already won, but that he doesn't have a chance. He and Tommy don't like him and don't want him fronting the band."

"Industry insiders (one of which sleeps in my bed at night) speculate that Lukas' appearance on this show is merely to launch him as a solo artist in Canada - that Universal made a few calls to get Lukas included in the show and that his being there consititutes the most fabulous marketing exposure ever."

"I need to adjust what I said slightly: After discussing what I wrote with my insider source [cough]husband[cough], he corrected a couple of facts.
    Lukas has a publishing and development deal with EMI publishing. Which means he publishes songs through them and they license their use in movies, TV and advertising.

The development deal means they are trying to get him on a major label. Since EMI Publishing is part of Universal, I made the leap that he already had a deal at Universal. He doesn't. But, the rest of the theory holds up, still. I believe that he'll be releasing through Universal the minute he is released from the show, unless a different label offers a more lucrative contract.

Again, this is marketing only for Lukas. I have serious doubts he's a serious contender for the ultimate job of singing lead for Supernova."

Interesting :cool: I didn't want to see him win anyway. Go Toby...2nd choice Dilana
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    excuse me guys but, magni and lukas has more stage presence and voice than toby...
    i said it before toby is a normal ´´not great´´ performer with an average voice/stage presence, but he is a good looking and blond guy, and that counts on tommy and gilby...the new axl/vince?...
  • I wouldn't say Magni has more stage presence than Toby. I think Toby has got him beat there.
    rockpants wrote:
    Internet rumours!

That makes no sense at all... at the Live tapings, Tommy has drooled over Lukas and apparently last week he said stuff like "I have always dreamed of being in a band with someone like you as the lead singer.." etc... Tommy Lee has rightly/wrongly gone crazy for everything Lukas has done. He is probably his biggest fan on the panel.

As for all the record deals etc... Lukas has opened and toured with OLP and other canadian bands, never making it big... he was working at Hooters when he auditioned. Doesnt sound like someone who is being promoted by the Canadian Music Industry. Seems like his career/band are struggling to break through.

There is a LOT of Bullshit out there, anyone with a keyboard can make stuff up and it picks up steam.
  • CrazyJD wrote:
    That makes no sense at all... at the Live tapings, Tommy has drooled over Lukas and apparently last week he said stuff like "I have always dreamed of being in a band with someone like you as the lead singer.." etc... Tommy Lee has rightly/wrongly gone crazy for everything Lukas has done. He is probably his biggest fan on the panel.

As for all the record deals etc... Lukas has opened and toured with OLP and other canadian bands, never making it big... he was working at Hooters when he auditioned. Doesnt sound like someone who is being promoted by the Canadian Music Industry. Seems like his career/band are struggling to break through.

There is a LOT of Bullshit out there, anyone with a keyboard can make stuff up and it picks up steam.

I remember Cleavage. They sucked. Badly.

I just posted it for drama's sake, really. This competition can't be taken any more seriously than any Idol show. I nearly pissed my pants laughing when a clip of Lukas was shown talking about showing up somewhere, and he said, " .. when we were driven there, in the Honda ... " Nice product placement for the main sponsor there, Lukas!
  • funkymonk wrote:
    I wouldn't say Magni has more stage presence than Toby. I think Toby has got him beat there.

Agreed and Toby is much nicer to look at too :)
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    rockpants wrote:
    Internet rumours!

Smokescreen
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • I'm insecure and you guys still suck.
  • tonadax wrote:
    excuse me guys but, magni and lukas has more stage presence and voice than toby...
    i said it before toby is a normal ´´not great´´ performer with an average voice/stage presence, but he is a good looking and blond guy, and that counts on tommy and gilby...the new axl/vince?...
    exactly.toby would be great if the show were to find a new lead singer for 3 doors down.

lukas all the way!!