U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• I am so jealous! I only get two Pearl Jam shows and no Bruce)-:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow

4 shows of bruce and e street at spectrum ,

and then 2 weeks later the grand finale with 4 more from PJ !

Life is good .
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

10-13-2004 - Out in the swamps at Meadowlands NJ- The TRUE VFC Finale' show .

I was there.

The place erupted in chants of ed-ddie , ed-die , .... edd-ie
    first time i can recall another name besides the traditional Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucing you hear at a Bruce and E Streeters Show.
    Even tho Bruce butchers Better Man it was still an amazing moment.

I actually loved Eddie singing on " Darkness On The Edge Of Town" - sounded like it was written for Eddies voice.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I was there.

first time i can recall another name besides the traditional Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucing you hear at a Bruce and E Streeters Show.

I actually loved Eddie singing on " Darkness On The Edge Of Town" - sounded like it was written for Eddies voice.

I remember thinking the exact same thing after hearing Eddie sing that song. He was born to sing that one.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
    The Rock wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I was there.

I remember thinking the exact same thing after hearing Eddie sing that song. He was born to sing that one.

i think ed owns any song he borrows.

:)
    platessmall.jpg
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    Bathgate66 wrote:

i think ed owns any song he borrows.

:)

I can't think of many bad covers Ed has done. His version of Dylan's "Times they are a-changin'" from the Nader show in 2000 is spectacular.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Found The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle and Darkness on the Edge of Town on vinyl at the flea market today...$1 each :D
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    peacegirl wrote:
    Found The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle and Darkness on the Edge of Town on vinyl at the flea market today...$1 each :D
    wow cool find
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• peacegirl wrote:

I love flea markets. I used to go to the Norton Flea Markets in the 80s by the Tweeter Center in Massachusetts and you'd always find mothers selling their kids baseball cards for cheap dough.
    peacegirl wrote:

thats a great find.

garage / yard sales RULE !

oh and darkness is esperecially awesome.
    platessmall.jpg
    fascinating read on dylan and bruces old digs.

Was Dylan Searching for the Home Where Springsteen Penned 'Born to Run'?
    Dylan Detained By N.J. Cops on Springsteen's 'Backstreets'
    By CHRIS FRANCESCANI
    Aug. 15, 2009
    59 comments Font Size PrintRSSE-mailShare this story with friendsFacebookRedditTwitterStumbleUponMore
    Was Bob Dylan looking for the home where Bruce Springsteen wrote "Born to Run" in 1974 when he was detained by police near the Jersey shore last month?

Was Bob Dylan, left, looking for the former home of Bruce Springsteen, right, when he was stopped by a policewoman, center, in Long Branch, N.J. last month?

The 68-year-old music legend was picked up one Thursday last month by a 24-year-old cop who failed to recognize him as he walked the streets of Long Branch, N.J. in the pouring rain.

It may have been as simple as it appears: Dylan told police he was talking a walk and looking at a home for sale.

But the area where Dylan was picked up was just a couple blocks from the beachside bungalow where Bruce Springsteen wrote the material for his landmark 1975 album "Born to Run."

In the past nine months, Dylan has visited the childhood homes of Neil Young and John Lennon, in both cases appearing without fanfare and barely identifying himself after he was recognized.

Last November, Winnipeg homeowner John Kiernan told Sun Media's Simon Fuller that Dylan and a friend arrived unannounced in a taxi to his Grosvenor Ave. home, where songwriter Neil Young grew up.
    Dylan Kiernan said, was unshaved and had the brim of his hat pulled down over his head. He asked for a look inside and inquired about Young's bedroom and where he would have played his guitar.

Dylan has shown a deep affinity for the Canadian rocker over the years, most recently in his 2001 song "Highlands." And Young said at a Nashville concert in 2005 that he once lent Dylan one of his most precious musical treasures -- Hank Williams' guitar, for which Young wrote the ballad "This Old Guitar." Both men revere Williams, a country music legend.

In May, Dylan joined a public tour of John Lennon's childhood home, according to the BBC. A spokeswoman for the National Trust, which runs the home as London landmark, said Dylan "took one of our general minibus tours.

"People on the minibus did not recognize him apparently," the spokeswoman told the British news agency. "He could have booked a private tour, but he was happy to go on the bus with everyone else."

Springsteen spent two of the most creative years of his young career in the house on West Court in Long Branch in 1974 and 1975, penning "Born to Run," "Thunder Road" and "Backstreets" while living there.

Dylan's spokesman did not immediately return a call or e-mail for comment.
    platessmall.jpg
    finally announceed onsale dats for MSG in November( sept 18th )
    http://www.backstreets.com/tour.html

anyone who hasnt witnessed bruce and e street rock the living hell outta the garden:
    do not miss this / these show(s)

its hard to imagine them there too many more times after this tour, just saying
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

anyone who hasnt witnessed bruce and e street rock the living hell outta the garden:

are you saying these next few years could be the end of the boss and e band or cause msg is a getting a long overdue makover.

metsfan wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

are you saying these next few years could be the end of the boss and e band or cause msg is a getting a long overdue makover.

i dont think The Big Man cant take it much more.
    As it is, they need to lift him onstage with a lift
    and he uses a lazy boy rocking chair on the side of the stage.
    he has had bilateral hip replacements.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

i dont think The Big Man cant take it much more.
    As it is, they need to lift him onstage with a lift
    and he uses a lazy boy rocking chair on the side of the stage.
    he has had bilateral hip replacements.
    yea i knew bout the hip.didn't know it was that bad. :cry: :(

Dear Bathgate66,

Lots to get to today, but first things first, don't forget the three onsales coming up on Saturday morning: Des Moines, IA; Cleveland, OH; and Auburn Hills, MI.

As always, you can find further details and links on our Tour/Ticket Info page. If you're going for Cleveland, today's Ticket Alert on our News page may ease your mind about the Q Arena's impending ticketing changeover (the upshot: don't worry about it).

Now, on to a special offer we just secured for Backstreet Records customers!

Runaway Dream due next month

Get a signed copy from Backstreet Records!
    Our friend and fellow Springsteen fan, not to mention a wonderful writer, Louis P. Masur has been hard at work for some time now on a dream project: a book on the making of Bruce's 1975 masterpiece Finally, just in time for Bruce's 60th birthday, Runaway Dream: Born to Run and Bruce Springsteen's American Vision is set for publication from Bloomsbury on September 1.

Great news for our readers: Lou has kindly agreed to hand-sign copies of the hardcover for everyone who places a pre-order with Backstreet Records. It's a book you'll surely want to get your hands on anyway -- a fascinating historical study, going session-by-session and track-by-track, and putting the whole thing in context -- get it signed by the author when you order yours from us!

Please place your pre-order prior to September 1 to guarantee availability.

They're baaaaack...

Back in the U.S.A., as Chuck Berry sang... Bruce and the E Street Band kicked off the third leg of the Working on a Dream tour two nights ago in Hartford [photo above by Nancy Nutile-McMenemy], and they'll be back onstage this weekend with two shows in Mansfield, MA. Be sure to check our News page page as the tour rolls along for G.A. entry policies and any other pertinent info-Mansfield G.A. details are there now.

For opening night, we asked the aforementioned Lou Masur to write about the show for us -- here's the Runaway Dream author on his hot hometown show Wednesday night:

Spirit and Sweat
    Springsteen and summer, spirit and sweat. On a sultry night in Hartford, Bruce and the band started the final leg of the Working on a Dream tour at an outdoor venue. With no seats on the side or behind the stage, a mega projection screen appeared behind the band and it was put to various uses, providing images to accompany songs and at times a full projection of the musicians that had the effect of making the sound seem even more thunderous.

The pulsating images were especially effective during "Outlaw Pete," a song that comes early in the set. The pictures of cacti and mountains added to the cinematic quality of the ballad and then, at the end, Bruce was projected onto the screen with a lens that made him appear as if he had stepped out of a nineteenth-century nickelodeon. It was a stunning effect that gave the song added vitality.

During "Spirit in the Night," Bruce sat singing in the front of the pit. A fan with a sign-"Free Cold Beer"-had Bruce do a few dramatic double takes. He then went over, grabbed a cup of beer, and chugged it down. It was a sweet moment, yet another reminder of the joys of summer.

Bruce had two weeks off since playing the last of his European shows, and I was hoping he would re-jigger the set, but it moved along fairly predictably, admittedly with blazing solo guitar work on "Seeds" and a rearranged "Johnny 99." I was expecting "The Ghost of Tom Joad" next, but Bruce launched into an explosive "Murder Incorporated" instead. And from here on the set soared; sweat poured off band and fans alike. "Something in the Night," which followed, is one of the masterpieces of the Springsteen canon, and somehow, with Bittan's piano, Weinberg's drums, and Springsteen's vocals, on this ninety-degree night it gave me chills.

And then the stump-the-band portion of the show. What made it particularly thrilling on this occasion was the extended banter as Bruce and his fellow musicians tried to figure out bridges and keys. "Mountain of Love" was great to hear, and it brought devotees back to the legendary Main Point show in 1975. The band almost decided they couldn't do Manfred Mann's "Sha La La," but they gave it a shot and the result was pure joy, a reminder of the early rock roots of Springsteen's own sound.

The three-pack of "I'm on Fire," "Be True" (which led to a humorous onstage discussion of why he had left it off The River), and a scintillating "My Love Will Not Let You Down" shifted the show higher yet in intensity and theme.

"American Skin" came as a surprise, and while it altered the dynamic of the set to that point, it also served as a reminder that Springsteen's music is about much more than the search for love -- it is also about what it means to be an American and our responsibilities to build a just community for all. "American Land," in the encore, served as a worthy bookend.

Bruce and the band closed the main set with "Born to Run" (with distinct pulsating bass lines from Garry Tallent), "Rosalita," and "Thunder Road" (an audible). There are no words to describe this. It is why I have been going to shows since 1973, when I first saw Springsteen open for Chicago, and why I keep going back-to feel alive, to feel connected, and, outdoors on a hot summer night, to feel sweat pouring off my body.

We've posted Lou's piece in the Tour Notes section of Bruce's official site, brucespringsteen.net, another venue for writing and photography from Backstreets contributors and readers. If you're hungry for additional tour coverage besides what's on our own Setlists page, don't forget to follow us there, too!
    platessmall.jpg
  • anyone watch the Hard Rock Calling concert on VH1 this weekend with Bruce?
    anyone watch the Hard Rock Calling concert on VH1 this weekend with Bruce?

i DVRd this.
    London Calling opening up the show was pretty awesome.
    i liked young neils performances also.
    platessmall.jpg
  • They need to get this on DVD post haste.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

i DVRd this.
    They need to get this on DVD post haste.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

i DVRd this.

amazingly, its pretty much all Bruce.
    this is what the telecast as far as i remember :

London Callin
    Lonesome Day
    Born 2 Run
    Jungleland
    Rosalita

also of note was bruces appearance with Gaslight Anthem, that was really really cool .
    platessmall.jpg
    It just dawned on me what Wednesday September 23rd is .
    Its Bruces birthday.
    Now with the new schedule- flopp,
    perhaps U2 will have a very special guest the night of Wednesday the 23rd,
    at Giants Stadium !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Working on a Dream was in there as well. It was pretty much all Bruce, and I loved him with Gaslight Anthem. Have you checked out the whole setlist? It is so great. Seeds and Trapped?! I so wish I was there!

London, England
    Hard Rock Calling

London Calling
    Badlands
    Night
    She's The One
    Outlaw Pete
    Out In The Street
    Working On A Dream
    Seeds
    Johnny 99
    Youngstown
    Good Lovin'
    Bobby Jean
    Trapped
    No Surrender
    Waiting On A Sunny Day
    Promised Land
    Racing In The Street
    Radio Nowhere
    Lonesome Day
    The Rising
    Born To Run

Rosalita
    Hard Times
    Jungleland
    American Land
    Glory Days
    Dancing In The Dark

[/quote]amazingly, its pretty much all Bruce.
    this is what the telecast as far as i remember :

London Callin
    Lonesome Day
    Born 2 Run
    Jungleland
    Rosalita

also of note was bruces appearance with Gaslight Anthem, that was really really cool .[/quote]
    http://www.redbankorbit.com/wordpress/2 ... ttle-crib/

http://www.redbankorbit.com/wordpress/w ... ttage1.jpg
    The house where Bruce Springsteen wrote ‘Born to Run’ can be yours for a cool $299,000. (Photo courtesy of Susan McLaughlin)

FOR SALE: BRUCE’S HUGE LITTLE CRIB

It’s “the best darn piece of rock and roll memorabilia that $299,000 can buy,” says the real estate agent with the exclusive listing.

The tiny bungalow in the West End section of Long Branch where a scrawny young Bruce Springsteen wrote the title track of his career-making ‘Born to Run‘ LP is up for sale.

According to Springsteen aficionado Stan Goldstein of the Star-Ledger, Springsteen lived in the house, at 7-1/2 West End Court, in 1974 and 1975, the year “Born to Run” was released.

There, Springsteen wrote his third album’s anthemic title song as well as “Thunder Road” and “Backstreets,” Goldstein reported earlier this year, citing a DVD released in connection with a 30th-anniversary repackaging of the LP in 2005. In the film, Springsteen appears outside the cottage reminiscing about his time there.

Realtor Susan McLaughlin of Keller Williams Realty tells oRBIt that the one-story shotgun-style house is “bigger than it looks at 828 square feet.” With two bedrooms and one bath, it features high ceilings and five rooms, she says. It’s also just 100 feet away from a path down to the beach and zoned commercial-residential.

But oh, what a pedigree the 25-foot by 95-foot lot carries. In one of the home’s bedrooms, as well as on the tiny porch, Springsteen is said to have spent hours writing and polishing the songs that landed him on the covers of Time and Newsweek the same week in October 1975 and lofted him to rock stardom.

McLaughlin says comps on other nearby cottages show a value of $250,000. So the Springsteen premium is set, for now, at $49,000.

Want a walk-through? You’d better be a serious shopper. McLaughlin is showing the house by appointment only
    platessmall.jpg
    good seats are now dropping for all the Giants Stadium shows in Oct.
    Go Gettem '
    platessmall.jpg
    E Street Band Taking A Hiatus

By Phil Gallo / LiveDaily Contributor
    Bruce Springsteen [ tickets ] and the E Street Band are expected to take one or two years off after performing 26 shows booked though Nov. 22 in Buffalo, NY.

"We are going to take a break," E Street Band guitarist Steven Van Zandt said Wednesday during a conference call with reporters. "I don't know how long, one year, year-and-a-half, two years off. This is a good time to see us. We may not be as pretty, [but] we seem to be getting better in funny ways.
    "You never know. This could be be the last tour. We do every show like it's our last show anyway."

Subtly, Van Zandt was pushing the idea that the current tour was a must-see for fans who have put off purchasing tickets. While Springsteen and the E Street Band have sold more than 2 million tickets this year, shows have not sold out as quickly as in the past. Currently, 17 shows--among them the five final concerts at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ--have tickets available. Two shows at Madison Square Garden go on sale Friday (9/18); concerts in Washington, DC, and Baltimore go on sale Sept. 25.

One of the highlights of the current tour has been a "stump the band" segment in which the band plays a cover. Fans submit requests by making signs that Springsteen collects and sorts through onstage.

So far, the band has not been stumped.

"We may mess the song up a bit," Van Zandt says. "We're kind of familiar with all these crazy songs. We may do something a bit unusual from time to time. Nothing too obscure, too schlocky. Honestly, I can say we have not had that train wreck yet. I'm knocking on wood."
    platessmall.jpg
  • just read about this hiatus, which he was coming to play somewhere near me beforehand :cry:
    makes those 2 Garden shows more necessary ( for me to attend )
    platessmall.jpg
    FANCLUB ONLY SHOW ! 100 people !

Bruce to join Elvis Costello on Spectacle

Backstreets contest will get 100 lucky fans inside

Big news: as Elvis Costello begins taping episodes for another season of SPECTACLE, his hit talk/music show on the Sundance Channel, it's just been announced that Bruce Springsteen will be one of his guests for Season Two.

SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH... fuses the best elements of talk and music television and invites viewers to enjoy an intimate conversation between the host and his guests, punctuated by rare musical performances by Costello, his guests, and a wide variety of musicians. Season One guests included Sir Elton John, Tony Bennett, John Mellencamp, The Police and President Bill Clinton.

The Springsteen episode tapes a week from tonight, next Friday evening, September 25, when Bruce will join Elvis on stage in front of a live audience in New York City, just two days after his 60th birthday. This isn't a concert, per se -- Costello's show focuses as much or more on talk as it does on music. It should be a special evening, the sort of thing we, as fans, have never seen before.

And more big news: Backstreets is helping get fans in the door.

We'll have 100 tickets to give away to fans who would like to be part of the audience for this special, one-time-only event, to be awarded by random drawing.

Before you submit your entry, please read the following important conditions.

You must be at least 18 years of age to attend.

Tickets are non-transferrable: Each contest winner will receive two tickets, one for themselves and one for a guest. All tickets will be Will Call only. Contest winners will need to bring ID on the day of the taping to pick up their tickets; the name on the ID must match the name on your contest entry. Tickets are free, and may not be bought or sold.

One entry per person, please: multiple entries will be deleted.

Showtime: The SPECTACLE taping will be taking place in an intimate theater in Uptown Manhattan, on Friday, September 25. Doors open at 7:00 pm and will close prompty at 7:45, for an 8:00 pm show time. There will be no admittance after 7:45, with no exceptions. If work or life would interfere with you being there on time, please refrain from entering the contest to give another fan a chance.

Contest winners must be able to be in Manhattan on short notice: We'll be contacting winners by email by Tuesday, September 22 at the latest. We know fans will be willing to come from far and wide... but if you wouldn't be able to make it to New York City on such short notice, again, please don't throw your hat in the ring -- it's our goal to make sure we get as many fans as possible into those seats.

Entering the drawing
    If all of the above sounds just fine to you and you'd like to try for two free tickets, entering our drawing is simple. Well, you do have to answer one trivia question:

Name a song written by Bruce Springsteen that Elvis Costello has recorded and officially released.

To enter, simply send an email to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:spectacle@backstreets.com">spectacle@backstreets.com</a><!-- e --> with your answer as the subject line of the email.

Please also be sure to include the following information in the body of the email:

· Your name (as it appears on your ID, for ticket pickup at will call)
    · Your age
    · Your email address
    · Your phone number
    · Your guest's name (if known)

*Please take the time to make sure your email is complete; if any of this information is not provided, your entry will be considered incomplete and not be entered into the drawing.
    *Only emails with the correct answer to the trivia question will be entered into the drawing.
    *Send your email to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:spectacle@backstreets.com">spectacle@backstreets.com</a><!-- e -->

Your entry must be received by 10 a.m. on Monday, September 21. Backstreets will hold the drawing that day, randomly selecting 50 winners of two tickets each (determined by random number generator). All winners will be notified via email by Tuesday, September 22 at the latest. They'll receive additional information about show logistics at that time. We'll post a notice on our news page at Backstreets.com on Tuesday, once all winners have been notified.
    platessmall.jpg
    happy birthday boss !

cannot believe this guy is 60,
    but still always rocking.

hopefully, you'll be making a birthday appearance with
    your buddies U2 at Giants Stadium tonight,.

newsAARPmag2.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • Happy Birthday Bruce!

Eddie mentioned Bruce's birthday at last night's show.
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    happy birthday boss !

cannot believe this guy is 60,
    but still always rocking.

hopefully, you'll be making a birthday appearance with
    your buddies U2 at Giants Stadium tonight,.

newsAARPmag2.jpg