U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Silvio on The Sopranos

SILVIO ON 'SOPRANOS'
    NO ONE LEFT STANDING

By DON KAPLAN
    Van Zandt is going back to be with Bruce.
    May 18, 2007 -- STEVEN Van Zandt, the guitar legend who plays Tony Soprano's right hand man, Silvio Dante, hints that a wave of extreme violence is about to rock the final three episodes of "The Sopranos."

"If they were ever considering the idea of doing a movie, let's just say it would need to be a prequel," Van Zandt told The Post.

Van Zandt, 56, is also known as Little Steven from his days with Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. He says he was approached by "Sopranos" creator David Chase about 10 years ago to play the level-headed Mafioso - even though he had absolutely no acting experience.

"I guess he saw something in me," Van Zandt says. Silvio's recognizable expression, a curled lower-lip frown, was something Van Zandt came up with himself.

"I did everything I could from the outside in to transform myself," he says. "I didn't want anybody to look at the show and say, 'I saw that guy playing Indianapolis once.' That included a facial transformation. I didn't want him smiling the same way I smile. I didn't want anything the same."

He says he gained at least 50 lbs. for the role. "I was thin my whole life, so when you gain weight, your whole thing changes, you walk differently, you talk differently, you think differently. It's a big transformation. I wanted to look in a mirror and see someone else. I knew if I could see him [Silvio], I could be him."

Van Zandt says he plans to work with a trainer at least twice a day now to try and drop the weight. "I gained a bunch of weight which now I gotta lose before I get back on stage - hopefully Bruce [Springsteen] won't move too fast," he jokes.

While he's not ruling out acting again, Van Zandt says he plans to focus mainly on music. He oversees two channels on Sirius satellite radio and is the executive producer of the round-table talk radio program, "The Wiseguy Show," which is moderated by his old "Sopranos" colleague, Vincent "Big Pussy" Pastore.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    See Live In Dublin On The Big Screen

On Monday, June 4, for one night only, you have the chance to see a 90 minute screening featuring selections from Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band Live In Dublin on the big screen, in a theater filled with fellow Springsteen fans.

See below or visit http://www.dandeentertainment.com for theater and ticket info.

Los Angeles - The Landmark(West Los Angeles) »
    Atlanta - Midtown Art Cinema »
    New York - Sunshine Theatre »
    Boston - Kendall Square Cinema »
    Chicago - Century Centre Cinema »
    Denver - Chez Artiste »
    Detroit - Emagine Novi »
    Detroit - Emagine Canton »
    Birch Run, MI - Cinema Hollywood »
    Indianapolis - Keystone Cinema »
    Minneapolis - Lagoon Cinema »
    San Diego - Ultrastar Theatres Mission Valley »
    San Francisco - Embarcadero Center Cinema »
    St. Louis - Chesterfield Galaxy 14 Cinema »
    Washington DC - E Street Cinema »
    Columbus, OH - Rave Polaris 18 »
    Grand Rapids, MI - Celebration Grand Rapids North »
    Lansing, MI - Celebration Cinema & Imax Lansing »
    Seattle - Metro Cinemas »
    Nashville - Thoroughbred 20 »
    Austin - Dobie »

New Live In Dublin Pre-Order Offers

Our retail partners are debuting some exciting exclusive pre-order offers on Live In Dublin this week:

Amazon.com: Watch the music video "Growin' Up" »
    BN.com: Don't miss the music video "American Land" »
    SonyMusicStore: Download the music video "Atlantic City" after purchasing the CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, or CD/DVD combo pack »
    DVD Preview: Watch the Live In Dublin DVD preview here »
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    from Backstreets

HOWARD'S SIT-DOWN WITH SILVIO
    Little Steven was on The Howard Stern Show yesterday, talking Sopranos, CBGB Forever, and American Idol -- he refused to assure Artie Lange that Bruce would never go on the show. (Artie has more at stake than most of us.) Steve offered a teaser as well, saying "that he would not be surprised to see a new album from Bruce sometime in the next year." Read the full show rundown.
    -May 23, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    In The News

Catie Boone of Ky. takes Junior Jumper ClassicWith the jump-off victory, her mount, Naleida, won the Junior Jumper Championship.
    By Sara Cavanagh
    For The Inquirer
    Catie Boone of Lexington, Ky., having gone clean in the first round of the $15,000 Show Jumping Hall of Fame Junior Jumper Classic at the Devon Horse Show, had to wait out an hour-long rain delay before the jump-off.
    But she didn't let that get to her.

Second to go in the jump-off after the storm, Boone shaved 0.3 seconds off Jessica Springsteen's leading time to win in 35.814 seconds.

Pouring rain and thunder and lightning made management put the show on a rain hold. But Devon's all-weather footing held up well.

"The footing didn't change all that much after the storm," Boone said. "It was just the nerves of going after the storm."

With her win in the Classic, Boone's mount, Naleida, won the Junior Jumper Championship, and Boone was Leading Junior Jumper Rider.

Springsteen, a talented young rider and the daughter of singer Bruce Springsteen, was second in the Classic and won the Shallanno Style of Riding Award for the rider who best exemplifies the American style of equitation. Her mount, La Movida, was Reserve Junior Jumper Champion.

Lucy Davis, 14, came all the way from Los Angeles, with two horses to sweep the lion's share of honors yesterday.

Davis rode her Harmony to win the Devon Grand Hunter Championship after taking the Large Junior Hunter 15-and-under championship and the Overall Large Junior Hunter tricolor.

Davis was also named best child rider on a horse.

"I always hope for the best but never expect the best," said Davis, who was riding at Devon for the first time.

Cortie Wetherill of Malvern rode his Take Away to win the Large Junior Hunter 16 & 17 championship.

Alexandra Thornton of Bedminster, N.J., a 13-year-old, rode her Tobasco to the championship in Small Junior Hunter 15-and-under, and Amelia McArdle of Barrington Hills, Ill., won the Small Junior Hunter 16 & 17 championship on her MVP.

In the Family Class during the evening session, Maj. Jeremy Beale, a former member of the British three-day event Olympic team, rode Dynamic, a mare he bred. His daughter, Susie Beale, a top event rider, was mounted on Dynamic's daughter, Isabella. And Gillian King, Maj. Beale's granddaughter and Susie's daughter, rode Isabella's daughter, Wall Street Wager.

For complete results, go to http://www.thedevonhorseshow.com.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Sneak Peek Of Live In Dublin And Exclusive Video Premiere At Clear Channel

Be first to hear Live In Dublin-- now previewing in its entirety at http://www.clearchannelmusic.com. The sneak peek event will also include the world premiere video for "Oh Mary Don't You Weep".

New Screenings Added For Live In Dublin In Theaters

Due to ever-increasing enthusiasm for the movie theater showing of Live In Dublin, new cities and theaters have been added for the June 4 one-day-only showing. Visit D&E Entertainment for a complete list of cities and venues »

PBS Reminder and Station Listing

Don't forget, beginning June 1st, select PBS stations will be broadcasting one hour of the Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band Live In Dublin program to support their Spring pledge drives. Individuals who pledge the necessary amount will receive an exclusive 5-song CD. The songs will be: "Bobby Jean", "The Ghost Of Tom Joad", "Johnny 99", "For You", and "My City Of Ruins". Visit brucespringsteen.net or check local listings for stations and airtimes.

Live In Dublin Pre-Order Offers

If you haven't already, be sure to pre-order your copy of Live In Dublin now and take advantage of the following offers:

Amazon.com: Watch the music video "Growin' Up" »
    BN.com: Don't miss the music video "American Land" »
    SonyMusicStore: Download the music video "Atlantic City" after purchasing the CD, DVD, Blu-ray, or CD/DVD combo pack »
    DVD Preview: Watch the Live In Dublin DVD preview here »
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    from Backstreets

Talk of Springsteen sightings in Atlanta has been swirling since early 2007. Still no official word on exactly what he's doing down there, of course -- he may just really dig the Coca-Cola Museum. Or maybe he can't get enough Slopes BBQ? Six Flags over Georgia has that bitchin' Superman roller coaster. But if one were to theorize that a rock album is in the works, in earnest, with producer Brendan O'Brien, both at Springsteen's home studio and at Southern Tracks (O'Brien's home base in Atlanta), with recording pretty far along after considerbale work in May, and E Streeters getting tapped to come in as they gear up for the E Street Band's long-awaited return this fall... even if one were to start saving one's hard-earned dough for an early-fall record release followed by a major world tour planned to start in Europe by early October... even if all signs were consistently pointing that way... it would still be just that -- a theory.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution knows this, of course, noting that they're going "out on a fairly sturdy limb" to even discuss the notion of Bruce "potentially" recording a new album in their backyard. But they add another clue to whatever-in-the-world might be going on down there, spotting Bruce out and about with Swimming Pool Qs' singer/songwriter -- and Southern Tracks resident creative genius -- Jeff Calder. Bruce reportedly bought the new Joe Strummer biography. Maybe he's working on a Clash bio-pic or something, while he tinkers with his next record at a leisurely pace? After all, when it comes to a new Bruce album, Little Steven just vaguely offered that we might look for one "sometime in the next year." He wouldn't be smirking as he said that, would he? Nah, that just doesn't sound like Steve.

Stay tuned... and in the meantime, come on board!
    -June 1, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Wow I'm listening to the Dublin cd. It's awesome. Great sound. Great energy from the band and Bruce. I wish I had seem them on tour. I like the new version of Atlantic City. Feels like I'm listening live at the show.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    Wow I'm listening to the Dublin cd. It's awesome. Great sound. Great energy from the band and Bruce. I wish I had seem them on tour. I like the new version of Atlantic City. Feels like I'm listening live at the show.

you mean to tell me you missed the seeger sessions tour ?

thats too bad, it was mesmerizing live.

so much action- so much to glimpse at onstage ( 17 pieces ) while listening

bruce and no electric guitar-

the horns !

it was fantastic.

i am going to the cinema in manhattan on monday ( 1 day only ) showing " LIVE IN DUBLIN " in selected theatres./ Saw the 30th anniv on the big screen- bruce looked and sounded great up there.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Springsteen Sizzles Live In DUBLIN

For Pete's sake

[size=+2]Springsteen puts new sizzle in Seeger classics[/size]

BY DAVID HINCKLEY

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band.

The only complaint a music fan could have about the Bruce Springsteen "Seeger Sessions" film now touring public TV stations is that there aren't enough songs on it.

Fortunately, that shortage will soon be corrected. The nine songs on this 90-minute special are part of a home DVD/CD package on sale in stores Tuesday.

In any case, these are the songs Bruce spent most of 2006 playing - folk music in the broadest sense, from classics like "Old Dan Tucker" to "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" to Bruce tunes like "Atlantic City" and "Growin' Up."

Using a big old band full of strings and horns, he got a sound that combined Saturday-night hoedown music, Fourth of July parade music, back-porch music and music from the cotton fields, all mixed with a spirit that stamps them as singularly Springsteen.

Of course, a Springsteen vocal tends to stamp everything he does, and he sounds like he's having a swell old time romping through these songs - including ones like "Eyes on the Prize" and "Should I Fall Behind" that have a more subdued tone.

Tonight's special was filmed last November in Dublin, on the next-to-last stop of the "Seeger Sessions" tour. Since Springsteen is reportedly already working on his next project, it's all the more valuable that the Seeger sessions have been preserved.

Some Bruce fans - okay, a lot of Bruce fans - were indifferent to the Seeger material, preferring Bruce's rock 'n' roll. They're entitled to their opinion, but the sheer exuberance of songs like "Jacob's Ladder" and "Jesse James," both of which can be heard tonight, makes it hard to imagine how any toe could fail to tap.

Tonight's sampler doesn't even include several of the most exhilarating works, including "Highway Patrolman" and "Pay Me My Money Down." Buying the CD/DVD set will fill in that gap.

Watching tonight's show, it's also gratifying to realize Springsteen did the "Seeger Sessions" not because some executive at Columbia saw big profits, but because he could. He's using the leverage he's earned from years as a rock star to make the kind of music he wants to make today.

It's somehow satisfying to know the only people enriched by the "Seeger Sessions" are people who love great music.

dhinckley@nydailynews.com
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    LET'S GO TO THE MOVIES!
    Here's a chance to catch Live in Dublin on the big screen, one night only. A 90-minute theatrical version will screen on June 4, the night before the official home release (and incidentally, the 23rd anniversary of Born in the U.S.A.), in 20 cities across the U.S.:

New York
    Boston
    Portland, ME
    Washington DC
    Atlanta
    Nashville
    Chicago
    Indianapolis
    Minneapolis
    Detroit
    Lansing, MI
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Columbus, OH
    Denver
    Seattle
    San Francisco
    San Diego
    Austin
    Los Angeles
    St. Louis
    In many of these cities, attendees will have a chance to win a Sony Blu-ray Disc player. Tickets are on sale now or will be on sale shortly -- visit D&E Entertainment for more details and individual city links.
    -May 23, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    [size=-2] any of the tristate area Bruce / PJ fans attending the NY showing of this tonight ?
    downtown
    Sunshine Movie Theatre ( landmark theatre )
    see ya's there ! [/size]
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    bruce on the large screen was amazing.

the fans in Dublin were totally into these shows ! awesome crowd(s) ! ! !
    why is it most european crowds put us American crowds to shame,....:confused:

was lucky enough to snag a poster , and also my G and I met the Banjo player, Greg Liszt ,..... and the Drummer, Larry Eagle , outside on Houston Street right outside the theatre after the early show.( 745pm ) .

awesome night,.

the reworked " Blinded By The Light " was really something, as was a roaring 20s jitterbug style " Open All Night " . " Further On ( Up The Road ) is also worthy of mention.

oh yeah, also met Bob Buchman from Q 104.3 here in NY- he was the emceee.

:)

cant wait for the next e street tour !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    from the live in dublin dvd

Atlantic City & Growin' Up
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Seattle Tacoma WA KBTC 6/10/07 Sun 10:30 PM PT
    Seattle Tacoma WA KCKA 6/10/07 Sun 10:30 PM P

and the southerners:

Lafayette LA KLPB 6/10/07 Sun 10:00 PM CT
    Lake Charles LA KLTL 6/10/07 Sun 10:00 PM CT

Monroe LA El Dorado AR KLTM 6/10/07 Sun 10:00 PM CT

Panama City FL WFSG 6/10/07 Sun 6:30 PM ET

Tallahassee Thomasville GA WFSU 6/10/07 Sun 7:30 PM ET
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    Bruuuuuuuuuuuce!
  • Options
    has anyone out there purchased and viewed the new DVD ( Live in Dublin ) ?

was looking to find out what the easter egg on this dvd included.

oh well, carry on .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    you havent bought it yet? or am i misreading your post? i havent.. yet. but probably will.
    I change by not changing at all.
  • Options
    daanarts wrote:
    you havent bought it yet? or am i misreading your post? i havent.. yet. but probably will.

i pre-ordered the cd/dvd set from Backstreets,. but have yet to receive it.

platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i pre-ordered the cd/dvd set from Backstreets,. but have yet to receive it.

It's worth it for the country version of Should I fall behind, the rest is gravy.
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:
    It's worth it for the country version of Should I fall behind, the rest is gravy.

on the big screen, i enjoyed " Open All Night " ,

and " Further On ( Up The Road ) " ,

all excellent versions of these Springsteen classics.

cant wait for my dublin packages.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    BRUCE AND HIS HANDSOME FRIEND
    Last night in Red Bank, Jackson Browne played a benefit show for Terry Magovern's ALS charity (Joan Dancy and P.A.L.S.). No points for guessing who showed up as a special guest. At the intimate Two River Theatre, after a lengthy acoustic set (including "I Am a Patriot," "Late for the Sky," "In the Shape of a Heart," and "The Pretender") Browne was joined by his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductor, Bruce Springsteen, for two songs: "Running on Empty," and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"

The pair also performed together the previous night, even more low-key, when Springsteen was on hand for a World Hunger Year benefit dinner honoring Browne and Jon Landau Management. For a little music at the end of the night, Springsteen joined in on Harry Chapin's "Circle," grabbing a guitar and strumming along.
    -June 13, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    SEEING STARS
    For those of you keeping score at home, Live in Dublin lands at #23 in its first week on the Billboard 200, with 31,000 sold. More reviews in this week, from Bloomberg.com, the Toronto Star, and three-and-a-half stars from Rolling Stone. And don't forget, we're looking for your reviews for the next issue of Backstreets: email to to dublin@backstreets.com.
    -June 13, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    SEEING STARS
    For those of you keeping score at home, Live in Dublin lands at #23 in its first week on the Billboard 200, with 31,000 sold. More reviews in this week, from Bloomberg.com, the Toronto Star, and three-and-a-half stars from Rolling Stone. And don't forget, we're looking for your reviews for the next issue of Backstreets: email to to dublin@backstreets.com.
    -June 13, 2007

AMG gave it a long, wonderful, detailed review, and then gave it only 3.5 stars. It was confusing. This is definitely a 4.5 star outing, 4 at the very worst.
  • Options
    Bruce & Jackson

from the other night.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Kids can't get enough of Badlands and Thunder Road, especially when I say 'Big Man' right before Clarence's solos...great stuff!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Kids can't get enough of Badlands and Thunder Road, especially when I say 'Big Man' right before Clarence's solos...great stuff!!!

at this most recent PJ tour stops in NJ- on night 1 -
    i liked how ed talks about backstage , there being a personal room for " the big man " clarence clemmons ( because he had played there so much ) , then he goes on to talk about Boom being pearl jams " big man " .

nice touch by ed .

platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    James Gandolfini told the Daily News in Friday's edition that he had "no idea" what to think was to happen to his character, the emotionally tortured mob boss and suburban dad Tony Soprano, after the hit series' final episode closed Sunday with an abrupt cut to a blank screen.

"You have to ask ("The Sopranos" creator) David Chase that. Smarter minds than mine know the answer to that," Gandolfini said. "I thought it was a great ending. You decide."

The screen went black and silent as Gandolfini's character and his family sat down to dinner, leaving fans guessing - and some complaining - about the ending's meaning or lack thereof.

Some have suggested that the movements of a man in the background portended a "Godfather"-style shooting. Others surmised that the show, which delved deeply into the domestic life of its mobster protagonist, was simply ending on an everyday note. Chase has declined to explain.

Several of Gandolfini's cast mates echoed his praise for the show's open-ended conclusion.

"A conventional ending would have been a fraud," Steven Van Zandt, who played Silvio, told the Daily News.

"Life doesn't have tidy little endings," said Van Zandt, a member of rocker Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. "Even some great songs just fade out like the last episode of 'The Sopranos."'
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 718
    My Bruce Live compilation:

Bruce Springsteen Live 2006-1975. Note this collection is most recent to oldest performances. Let me know what you think (especially you Barthgate)

Disc One

American Land From Live In Dublin
    The Rising From Vancouver, BC 2005
    Land of Hope and Dreams (Broken String) from 5/11/2005
    MARIA'S BED from Prodigal Son In Atlantic City
    The Promised Land from 2005-11-08 Philadelphia Devil Ev2
    Highway 29 from 2005-11-08 Philadelphia Devil Ev2
    No Surrender W Eddie Vedder from 2004-10-13 Meadowlands Night VFC
    Born In The U.S.A. (11-24-02) from Wheels of Fire
    Souls Of The Departed (9-18-03) from Wheels of Fire
    Lost In The Flood from 2003-08-31 Giant House Party In Jersey (Ev2)
    Paradise (07-30-02) from Rising Tour 2002 Flynn Vol. 1
    Dancing in the dark from Prodigal Son At the ice palace
    LOHAD from Prodigal Son At the ice palace
    MY CITY OF RUINS from 2001-12-06 Holiday Show (soundboard)

Disc Two

Badlands from Live in New York City (Disc 1)
    Atlantic City from Live in New York City (Disc 1)
    41 shots from 2000-06-20 NY Prodigal Son Meets The Ubers
    If I should fall behind from Prodigal Son In The City Of Angels
    Backstreets from Prodigal Son In The City Of Angels
    Something In The Night (1999-08-02) from 1999 US Comp Flynn
    The River from Live in New York City (Disc 1)
    Born in the USA from Sydney Night 1996
    Shut Out The Light from Freehold Night
    One step up from Bloomington 1988

Disc Three

Born to run from Live 1975-85 Disc 3
    The promised land from Live 1975-85 Disc 3
    Man At The Top A Vow to Defend: Born in the USA Tour compilation
    The Promise from Kansas City Carboys
    Streets Of Fire from Winterland 1978
    Prove it all Night from Total Darkness
    Kitty's Back from 1978-08-09 Cleveland Agora
    Because The Night from 1978-07-07 Roxy
    Detroit Medley from Winterland 1978
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (slow) from 1975-12-31 Tower Theater Uber 33
    Thunder Road from Roxy 10-17-75

Sorry this formatted oddly. Thoughts?
  • Options
    awesome compilation

if i had to make a criticism ( how can we when it comes to bruce )

i would have added a couple of more Seeger Sessions Band tracks, and maybe another " Ghost Of Tom Joad " and " Nebraska " tracks.

other then that , very nice mix !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    i got the Dublin CD.. thats just great stuff! brings back the great memories of the Rotterdam concert. Good qualitiy cd. Although i suspect them of playing the with volume button on the crowd alot when the producers want us to hear them. That makes the recording sound a little fake..
    I change by not changing at all.