Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    In the words of my 2nd favorite musician: The waiting drove me mad!!!
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Backstreets

YOUR SATURDAY IS FREE
    Just in case you're on pins and needles: there won't be a tour announcement this week. Which means you won't need to be doing the Ticketmaster Shuffle this weekend (despite previous indications of an 8/25 onsale). Now, next week... that might be a different story. More here as we know it, but for now you can breathe easy.
    -August 22, 2007
  • Options
    I was trying to find my way home,
    But all I heard was a drone.
    Bouncin’ off a satellite
    Crushing the last long American night.

This is radio nowhere.
    Is there anybody alive out there?
    This is radio nowhere.

I was sitting around a dirt dial
    Just another lost number in a file.
    Been in some kinda dark cove
    Just searching for a world with some soul.

This is radio nowhere.
    This is radio nowhere.

I just want to hear some rhythm.
    I just want to hear some rhythm

I want a thousand guitars.
    I want pounding drums.
    I want a million different voices speaking in tongues.

This is radio nowhere.
    This is radio nowhere.

(Sax solo)

I was driving thru the misty rain
    Yeah, searching for a mystery train.
    Bopping thru the wild blue
    Trying to make a connection with you.

This is radio nowhere.
    This is radio nowhere.

I just want to hear some rhythm (you swoon.)
    I just want to hear some rhythm (you swoon.)
    I just want to hear you swoon.
  • Options
    zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Just wanted to mention that I'm reading Dave Marsh's "Two Hearts" now. It's really good, learning lots of details and history about the Boss.

Looking forward to the tour announcement!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    this guy is a regular on the btx boards.

you can believe him or not, totally up to you.

this is from this thread .

:)
    wanted to share a couple of thoughts about "Magic" while they are still top of mind.

When the "hey come over and listen to the new album" phone call comes, you go. That call came today. I'm glad I went.

I took some spotty notes, and when you can't read your own handwriting--it's sad.

So, Magic.

Seated between a pair of outstanding speakers and handed a book with the lyrics, the Magic began.

Quick observations: this album rocks...these songs will KILL in a live concert setting...lots, LOTS of rocking guitars...I still don't know why it's called Magic...nary a ballad...Clarence Clemons rocks...I can't wait to find out how the actual recording of this album played out...any crap that Brendan O'Brien took for The Rising (undeserved in my book) will be long forgotten...these songs will sound great on the radio...Bruce Springsteen "songwriter" is a national treasure.

The production is big, without getting in the way. While The Rising demanded a certain atmosphere and Devils & Dust surely came from its own place, this album is an exclamation point in the Springsteen/O'Brien studio pairing. This is a confident sounding record, made by artists who trust each other and their art.

Radio Nowhere
    Coming soon to a radio near you. Great lead off song. This could easily be the guy in "Open All Night" 25 years burning down the road. This song rocks, but the whole time, the guy in the song asks "is anybody alive out there?" like his life depends on it. Classic E Street with a monster solo from C.
    And as the guy drives along he sings...
    I just want to feel some rhythm
    I just want to feel your rhythm
    Awesome and terrifying at the same time.

You'll Be Comin' Down
    Another song where C shines...spotlight on the Big Man. This is one about someone getting their comeuppance--a whole "what goes around comes around" thing. Karma!

Livin' In The Future
    The most "pop" song on the album. Classic E Street--Big C again and a song that would fit anywhere from Born To Run to Born In The U.S.A.

Your Own Worst Enemy
    I liked this one a lot. Reminded me of the vibe of both Darkness and The River, also not unlike None But The Brave. Great harmony vocals.

Gypsy Biker
    A song about a gypsy biker who is coming home. Starts with a beautiful harmonica and acoustic and ends up a flat out rocker. Very powerful lyrics. Loved it and can't wait to hear it live.

Girls In Their Summer Clothes
    Hmmmm...girls in their summer clothes don't like the hero in this song. My notes for this one said "lyrics very specific, very precise." While this was not one of my favorites, the lyrics are so well written that you feel like you're on the street as "the girls in their summer clothes pass me by."

I'll Work For Your Love
    CatholicSchool...CatholicSchool...CatholicSchool. Bruce has used a lot of Catholic imagery as of late, and this song certainly has that. Beautiful piano intro, and another one that I really liked.

Magic
    Interesting that this is the title cut. This one could have easily been on Devils & Dust. The word "magic" does not appear in the song. I need to hear it again, I guess. : )

Last To Die
    Great songwriting here. Driving drums.

Long Walk Home
    Probably the best song on the album. We know how great the lyrics are, this is played with passion and tempo by Bruce and the band. Wow. Max and Garry flat out kill this song, and there is an amazing guitar solo. This song will destroy concert halls all over the world. Amazing.

Devil's Arcade
    The lyrics that are posted on the web are wrong. You'll be happy, because this song is great--again with lyrics that are simply amazing. Big guitars, big strings--I really liked this one a lot.

It's easy to toss around superlatives when discussing Bruce's work (and yeah, I'm biased), but this is a great, great album. I keep coming back to the preciseness and the specific ness of the lyrics. These are streets that do have names. And the people who walk--drive--run those streets have purpose. And when the band plays...

Do you believe in Magic? I do.

See you Sunday.

No surrender-

Tom Cunningham
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options

wow

i like the sound of it

looking forward to all of the new album.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow

i like the sound of it

looking forward to all of the new album.

I'm really liking it. Good tune.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,252
    I like it, thought it does have a bit too much of a resemblance to 867-5309 (Jenny).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    I like it, thought it does have a bit too much of a resemblance to 867-5309 (Jenny).

That's it! I was trying to think what the guitar riff sounded like.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:

interestingly enough. this is not the first time i heard this ( about tommy tutone )
    --this song seems to have the sound of just about a million different other songs.

over on the bruce boards they even mentioned that it sounds a little like a pearl jam song.

go figure.
    either way, this ( and every other new track off of " magic " ) will be great to witness in a live setting.
    its always good, we all know that .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    interestingly enough. this is not the first time i heard this ( about tommy tutone )
    --this song seems to have the sound of just about a million different other songs.

over on the bruce boards they even mentioned that it sounds a little like a pearl jam song.

go figure.
    either way, this ( and every other new track off of " magic " ) will be great to witness in a live setting.
    its always good, we all know that .

What Pearl Jam song are they saying. I can kind of hear it, but I can't put my finger on it.
  • Options
    this is the thread mentioning some of the comparisons.

everything from the clash, warren zevon, the aforementioned 867--5309 , iggy pop, dire straits / knopfler , REM, & dont fear the reeper.

the pearl jam comparison was in another one of the many threads on the comparisons/ likeness to radio nowhere. when i find it i'll link it here.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Springsteen slayed the Disco dragon back in the 1970's and saved rock and roll.

Fast forward 30 years and we're at a similar crossroads.

Enter 2007's "Radio Nowhere". Here we have the protagonist in the song asking us "is there anybody alive out there"???? And the straight forward "I just want to hear some rythm". In case the message wasn't clear enough, Mr. Springsteen howls at us that he's "just searching for a world with some soul."

What a time in american rock history for a song like this to come along. What a gift.

How ironic is it that a 58 year old prisoner of rock and roll is leading the
    charge back up the mountain?? Rock and Roll was originally meant to be a young kids game...but the young players lost their seat at the table and folded. It's time to listen to listen to Uncle Bruce- "I want a thousand guitars. I want pounding drums. I want a million different voices speakin' in tongues."

Stillridin'
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    In an unusual move, Bruce Springsteen's new album, "Magic," is expected to be released on vinyl a week before its CD version hits stores. The vinyl is due Sept. 25 via Columbia, while the CD will arrive Oct. 2. A handful of major releases have appeared on vinyl prior to CD; Pearl Jam released its 1994 album, "Vitalogy," on vinyl two weeks early, prompting a premature No. 55 debut on The Billboard 200.

The first single from "Magic," the driving rocker "Radio Nowhere," is due to hit U.S. radio outlets on Sept. 4 but has begun making the rounds online in the past 24 hours.

Springsteen and the E Street Band are widely expected to play some live shows in the U.S. around the album's release, but dates have yet to be announced.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    got this in my email tonight

Dear Bathgate66,

Is anybody alive out there? Thought so!

As I mentioned earlier on the news page, no tour dates this week... but still a few things we gotta make sure you know about.

Attention vinyl lovers!

If you're the old-school, analog type... if you like holding an album cover that's actually an album cover... you're in luck: Magic will definitely be released on LP, and in style. We're talking 180 gram vinyl, nice and heavy, a single album in a gatefold sleeve.

One more notable thing about this release: there's a good chance you can have it in your hands before the CD. As Billboard reports, Magic is "expected to be released on vinyl a week before its CD version... The vinyl is due Sept. 25 via Columbia." We've been unable to confirm that news just yet, as October 2 remains the label's official release date, but we like the sound of it -- and in either case, we'll have the album in stock at Backstreet Records as soon as it's available.

We're taking pre-orders now for the Magic vinyl LP; as soon as it drops, we'll send the album out to our customers immediately. This will be hard to find -- count on Backstreet Records to make sure you get yours.

Pre-order Magic on vinyl now!

See more vinyl in the Backstreet Records shop

See all the latest additions to our shop

Radio Everywhere

By now, many people have heard the driving lead track from Magic that will officially bow on radio next week. As of this morning, at least two radio stations -- New York's WPLJ and Austin's KGSR -- shot out of the gate early with "Radio Nowhere" airplay (and also got a call from Sony requesting that they stop). WPLJ's Programming VP Tom Cuddy tells Backstreets, "The response by listeners was overwhelming. Our request lines lit up like a Christmas tree! Fans loved it... it's three minutes and 16 seconds of straight-ahead rock 'n' roll with a terrific Clarence solo!" And as I write, New York's Q104.3 just played a double-shot.

At least one more deejay is itching to jump the gun: Little Steven. (And really, who's gonna mess with Silvio?) Word has out that Steve will be spinning "Radio Nowhere" on this weekend's edition of Little Steven's Underground Garage. If you haven't gotten to hear it yet, tune in to Steve's show (Sunday night, in most markets) for a listen.

The official radio add is set for this coming Tuesday -- along with, we're told, a way for everyone to get the song in their hot little hands at the same time (in, um, a non-infringing fashion, of course). Stay tuned for more.

Bruce in the U.S.A. heads south -- want in?

As we mentioned last time, the uncanny tribute Bruce in the U.S.A. is playing in our neighborhood next week, at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC. The show is Monday night, August 27, with doors at 7:00 and show at 8:00. If you're in the Triangle area and want to come out for a Springsteen fix, there's a good chance we can get you in for FREE.

Ticket giveaway from Backstreets!
    We have 40 tickets to give away, which we'll distribute in pairs. Simply be one of the first 20 people to send us an email with the name of the band's frontman (their "Bruce") in the subject line, and your name in the body of the email, and we'll put you "plus one" on the guest list. This is an all-ages show.

Please note: Please don't email unless you're definitely planning to attend the show! If you know you can make it Monday night, send that email to guestlist@backstreets.com. We'll respond to the first 20 entrants with confirmation that you plus a friend are on the list.

That's it for this dispatch -- I'll be willing to wager that the next one you receive will be chock full of toury goodness. Til then, enjoy the weekend.

Spin the black circle,

Chris Phillips
    Editor & Publisher, Backstreets
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Lets hope his tendonitis has cleared up !

Pre Rising Tour Interview*

Maxs Greatest Hits

* not sure about the tie information tho,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    What Pearl Jam song are they saying. I can kind of hear it, but I can't put my finger on it.

cant find that thread

but ive been listening to radio nowhere for 3 days now.

i can hear quite a bit of PJ

the most influential song that sticks out is rearview mirror.

i guess this same chord progression is found in a few million other songs .

:)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Radio Nowhere is a very fucking good song. very fresh sounding. i cannot wait for this record.

i could really hear Eddie singing this song too.. especially the chorus. man, how cool would it be for PJ to open for E street? Bruce never has opening acts but .... man, i'm almost bursting thinking about this.
  • Options
    Radio Nowhere is a very fucking good song. very fresh sounding. i cannot wait for this record.

i could really hear Eddie singing this song too.. especially the chorus. man, how cool would it be for PJ to open for E street? Bruce never has opening acts but .... man, i'm almost bursting thinking about this.

shouldve seen my face when ed walked out at the fianl VFC Tour Show in NJ on 10-13-04, anbd went on to sing no surrender, darkness , and a full E Street Band Betterman, including the Professor on Pianos and The Big Man on Sax !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    shouldve seen my face when ed walked out at the fianl VFC Tour Show in NJ on 10-13-04, anbd went on to sing no surrender, darkness , and a full E Street Band Betterman, including the Professor on Pianos and The Big Man on Sax !
    you got to see that show??!!! ugh. i hate you..ha.

i saw Bruce and Estreet twice in Philly on the Reunion tour and i just told my girl we are fucking going to see Bruce no matter what!!! she's never seen him and i just played "radio nowhere" for her daughter today (she's 10) and she seemed to like it alot, so we're there! i told her to get ready to hear the song on the radio very very soon.

"is there anybody alive out there!!!??"
  • Options
    i see on the internet people are saying this sounds like "Jenny (867-5309)". thoughts?
  • Options
    i see on the internet people are saying this sounds like "Jenny (867-5309)". thoughts?

these very same chord progressions are found in probably a few million other songs.

the meloody and lyrics is what makes them stand out uniquely.

some of the comparisons i have been seeing / hearing / and reading over at the btx:

REM
    The Clash
    The Police
    Warren Zevon
    Tommy Tutone ( 867- 5309 )
    ELO ( dont fear the reeper )
    dire straits / knopfler
    even read that it sounds a little bit " pearl jamsy "

( i dont know which one pearl jam song to narrow it down to , but first coming to mind ( or ear ) is rearview mirror peppered in there ,...

i heard rumours that possibly this Tuese will have the first string of dates, as well as info oin the infamous rehearsal shows. For the first time ever there is speculation that the rehaearsals will not be held at asbury parks convention hall . :confused:

we shall see,....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    you got to see that show??!!! ugh. i hate you..ha.

i saw Bruce and Estreet twice in Philly on the Reunion tour and i just told my girl we are fucking going to see Bruce no matter what!!! she's never seen him and i just played "radio nowhere" for her daughter today (she's 10) and she seemed to like it alot, so we're there! i told her to get ready to hear the song on the radio very very soon.

"is there anybody alive out there!!!??"

yes- I WAS there ! i went to Bruces VFC shows in philly and NJ , along with PJs in Toledo that year. what a week !

Betterman

Darkness *

* this song was made for eddies voice,....

No Surrender
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Announcement in 48.

initial on-sales 9/8
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    News updated August 26, 2007

BLACK MAGIC
    Hey vinyl lovers!
    If you're the old-school, analog type... if you like holding an album cover that's actually an album cover... you're in luck: Magic will definitely be released on LP, and in style. We're talking 180 gram vinyl, nice and heavy, a single album in a gatefold sleeve.

One more notable thing about this release: there's a good chance you can have it in your hands before the CD. As Billboard reports, Magic is "expected to be released on vinyl a week before its CD version... The vinyl is due Sept. 25 via Columbia." We've been unable to confirm that news just yet, as October 2 remains the label's official release date, but we like the sound of it -- and in either case, we'll have the album in stock at Backstreet Records as soon as it's available.

We're taking pre-orders now for the Magic vinyl LP; as soon as it drops, we'll send the album out to our customers immediately. This will be hard to find -- count on Backstreet Records to make sure you get yours.

Pre-order Magic on vinyl now!

See more vinyl in the Backstreet Records shop

See all the latest additions to our shop

-August 26, 2007
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Announcement in 48.

initial on-sales 9/8

is this firm? just curious. thanks !!!
  • Options
    Where can i hear the new song?

Never mind, i found it. It sounds great!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Oct. 2-3: Hartford
    Oct. 5-6: Philadelphia
    Oct. 9-10: East Rutherford, NJ
    Oct. 14-15: Madison Square Garden
    Oct. 21: Chicago
    Oct. 22: St Paul, Minn.
    Oct. 26: Oakland
    Oct. 28-29: Los Angeles
    Nov. 4: Cleveland
    Nov. 5: Detroit
    Nov. 11-12: Washington DC
    Nov. 18-19: Boston
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    Oct. 2-3: Hartford
    Oct. 5-6: Philadelphia
    Oct. 9-10: East Rutherford, NJ
    Oct. 14-15: Madison Square Garden
    Oct. 21: Chicago
    Oct. 22: St Paul, Minn.
    Oct. 26: Oakland
    Oct. 28-29: Los Angeles
    Nov. 4: Cleveland
    Nov. 5: Detroit
    Nov. 11-12: Washington DC
    Nov. 18-19: Boston

Whats your source? Haven't these been discredited?