U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Two questions.

1) Are there any soundboard quality bootlegs out there of his solo tour to promote "Devil's and Dust"?

2) What's the best Springsteen book out there to read?

1) don't think so. check BTX at Backstreets.com.. every show is there

2) people have always said the David Marsh books are good... http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Springsteen-Two-Hearts-Story/dp/041596928X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220907070&sr=1-6

it combines his 2 other books Born To Run and Glory Days but don't count on much info past 1986.

but this is the book i'd get http://www.amazon.com/Greetings-Street-Story-Bruce-Springsteen/dp/0811853489/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220907264&sr=1-3 my Dad has it and it is amazing.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    while it is important that we all Never Forget ,

its just as important to Always Remember.

even 2 days past 7 years gone by ,
    & the next 363 days to come till it'll be 8 years ,

Not sure how many heard it , but here in NYC , a local radio station ( Q 104.3 ) held the on air moment of silence, they then went uninterupted right into this , a most appropriate song from the album that says it all , The Rising , with every track on it.

[size=+3]
    [/size]Empty Sky

I woke up this morning
    I could barely breathe
    Just an empty impression
    In the bed where you used to be
    I want a kiss from your lips
    I want an eye for an eye
    I woke up this morning to the empty sky

Empty sky, empty sky
    I woke up this morning to an empty sky
    Empty sky, empty sky

Blood on the streets
    Yeah blood flowin' down
    I hear the blood of my blood
    Cryin' from the ground

Empty sky, empty sky
    Empty sky, empty sky

On the plains of Jordan
    I cut my bow from the wood
    Of this tree of evil
    Of this tree of good
    I want a kiss from your lips
    I want an eye for an eye

Empty sky, empty sky
    Empty sky, empty sky
    Empty sky, empty sky

for my friends:

NYC Firefighter
    Eugene Whelan

NYC Firefighter
    John Heffernan

You're Missing
    Shirts in the closet, shoes in the hall
    Mama's in the kitchen, baby and all
    Everything is everything
    Everything is everything
    But you're missing

Coffee cups on the counter, jackets on the chair
    Papers on the doorstep, you're not there
    Everything is everything
    Everything is everything
    But you're missing

Pictures on the nightstand, TV's on in the den
    Your house is waiting, your house is waiting
    For you to walk in, for you to walk in
    But you're missing, you're missing
    You're missing when I shut out the lights
    You're missing when I close my eyes
    You're missing when I see the sun rise
    You're missing

Children are asking if it's alright
    Will you be in our arms tonight?

Morning is morning, the evening falls I have
    Too much room in my bed, too many phone calls
    How's everything, everything?
    Everything, everything
    You're missing, you're missing

God's drifting in heaven, devil's in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    anyone heard anything about the Darkness 30th anniversery box? checked on BTX and there's talk of Columbia not wanting to flood the market w/ Billy Joel's Stranger box and Bruce's Darkness box... thing is the BTR box came out at the same time as Joel's My Lives box... so who knows?
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i read on the btx boards today about a possible 3 shows in january at the spectrum, to close the old barn down before they tear it down .

I hope that this is right.... they just announced Neil Young at the Spectrum in December, so it could be the start of the Spectrum farewell shows.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:
    I hope that this is right.... they just announced Neil Young at the Spectrum in December, so it could be the start of the Spectrum farewell shows.

if bruce does it,

i'm there !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Hrmmm, I really really would love to see Bruce... and I guess the only way is a huge stadium (can't really afford the better seats)... how big is the Spectrum? If he's there, I would definitely consider going.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • He should play Yankee Stadium while he's at it!!! :D
    I love to turn you on
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Bruce at the Spectrum would be awesome...I also heard U2 was playing a small residency there...possibly 4-5 shows
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Hrmmm, I really really would love to see Bruce... and I guess the only way is a huge stadium (can't really afford the better seats)... how big is the Spectrum? If he's there, I would definitely consider going.

my guess is it holds 20,000 tops for a concert but probably more like 15,000... I saw Bruce there during the Devils to Dust tour and the show was amazing... especially since my seats were so good.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    He should play Yankee Stadium while he's at it!!! :D

this has been rumoured for months now.

and now, its being reported at the NY Daily News

Noveber 9th.

fucking sweet- hard ticket to come by i am certain.
    platessmall.jpg
    If Bruce and ESB play the stadium before they knock it down, maybe theyll all collaborate on this track at the live show (s) .

A BRONX CHEER
    Free Nils Lofgren mp3: "Yankee Stadium"
    With the sunset of Yankee Stadium upon us -- and with encouragement from his wife, Amy, who came up with the seed for a song -- Nils Lofgren has recorded a tribute to the ballpark, available as a free download from his website. Songwriting credit goes to Nils and Amy together; Nils writes in his notes, "My fabulous wife Amy (a Jersey girl), remains a life-long Yankee fan with a great, emotional history of experience in Yankee Stadium from childhood to present.... This song is an homage born of respect and gratitude for all the emotional and spiritual beauty Yankee Stadium has offered to so many, for so long." For the free mp3, along with lyrics and Nils' complete notes, visit NilsLofgren.com. You'll find other fun freebies on his Downloads page, too.
    - September 18, 2008
    platessmall.jpg
    just pre ordered a limited 10 inch of Springsteen's live take on "Dream Baby Dream". think there's only 4000 copies. bsides are a Suicide song and some band covering Suicide.

live version from an upcoming live Devils & Dust dvd.

http://www.backstreets.com
    just pre ordered a limited 10 inch of Springsteen's live take on "Dream Baby Dream". think there's only 4000 copies. bsides are a Suicide song and some band covering Suicide.

live version from an upcoming live Devils & Dust dvd.

http://www.backstreets.com

i ordered this as well as the reprint of the darkness book thingy they were publicizing there as well.

cant wait to get a read on that one.
    platessmall.jpg
  • What's this about a D&D DVD? That would be awesome!
    What's this about a D&D DVD? That would be awesome!

yeah- i didnt read that on backstreets.

funny that theyd come out with a Segger Sessions Band DVD before D &D , but thats the Boss for you- he does what he wants to . !
    platessmall.jpg
    i think it's mentioned in the product details of the Dream Baby Dream 10".

here's the link http://www.backstreets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BR&Product_Code=VINDREAM&Category_Code=001
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    so those rumored arena shows arent happening i see
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    wow
    59 and still kicking ass
    even better then most present day artists.
    3 & 1/2 hour shows are still not only possible but probable.

59sign.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND
    TO PERFORM DURING BRIDGESTONE
    SUPER BOWL XLIII HALFTIME SHOW ON NBC

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND will perform in the BRIDGESTONE SUPER BOWL XLIII HALFTIME SHOW on NBC Sports at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on Sunday, February 1, the NFL announced today.

The Super Bowl halftime show is annually the most-watched musical performance. More than 148 million viewers in the U.S. watched last year's show. The Super Bowl and halftime show will be broadcast worldwide in more than 230 countries and territories.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band join an esteemed list of recent halftime acts that includes the Rolling Stones, U2, Paul McCartney, Prince and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

The BRIDGESTONE SUPER BOWL XLIII HALFTIME SHOW is an NFL NETWORK PRODUCTION and will be executive produced by Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss of WHITE CHERRY ENTERTAINMENT and by DON MISCHER PRODUCTIONS. Don Mischer also will serve as director.
    platessmall.jpg
    Backstreets

VOTE FOR CHANGE:
    THIS YEAR'S MODEL
    Ticket alert: Bruce Springsteen will be performing October 16 at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom, joining Barack Obama, Billy Joel "and friends" for a "Change Rocks" concert to benefit the Obama Victory Fund. Springsteen endorsed Obama back in April; this is his first benefit performance for the campaign. Tickets are available at three donation levels, starting at $500 for a balcony seat. For more information, download this PDF, or click here to purchase tickets online.
    platessmall.jpg
    Springsteen books another performance for Obama
    Published October 1, 2008 09:10 AM3 CommentsBuzz up! print email
    By LiveDaily Staff /
    Hours after announcing plans to team with Billy Joel for a New York City concert that will raise funds for Barack Obama, Bruce Springsteen [ tickets ] revealed plans to give a free, acoustic performance at a Philadelphia rally for the Democratic presidential candidate.

Set to take place Saturday (10/4) on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, the event aims to register voters and recruit campaign volunteers. Though admission is free, tickets are required. Details are available at the Obama campaign's website.
    As previously reported, Springsteen, Joel and some additional, yet-to-be-named artists will join forces for an Oct. 16 concert at New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom.
    platessmall.jpg
    SPRINGSTEEN SETS MORE RALLIES FOR OHIO, MICHIGAN
    Bruce plans a three-state swing for Obama, Saturday through Monday
    Following Springsteen's performance on Saturday in Philly, he'll hit the road to rally voters in two more swing states in the following days. That will complete a trifecta of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan, with Springsteen playing free concerts in each (he's expected to play 30- to 40-minute acoustic sets) in support of Barack Obama.

On Sunday, Springsteen comes to Columbus, OH (where he also appeared for John Kerry in 2004). He'll be playing an acoustic set at a rally "aimed at encouraging Obama supporters to register and take advantage of Ohio’s early voting period."
    Where: Ohio State University's Main Oval
    When: Sunday, October 5. Doors open at 3:00, showtime is 4:30
    How: For access to the best viewing area, preferred tickets will be distributed starting on Thursday, Oct. 2, from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. For ticket pick-up locations, see the Dayton Daily News.

On Monday, the final day to register to vote in Michigan, it's on to Ypsilanti to headline a rally at Eastern Michigan University's baseball stadium.
    Where: Oestrike Stadium
    When: Monday, October 6. Gates open at 3:00, showtime is 4:30
    How: A limited supply of tickets will be made available Friday, Oct. 3, at Obama campaign offices as well as all EMU ticket offices. Tickets will be given out on a first- come, first-served basis. EMU students will be able to obtain one ticket by showing a valid EMU ID. Eastern Michigan University will expand its normal ticket office hours Friday to accommodate the expected demand. The expanded hours and locations are as follows: Quirk Hall, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Student Center, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and the Convocation Center, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The general public should use the Convocation Center location for ticket requests.

"Obviously Michigan is an incredibly important state in this election, along with Pennsylvania and Ohio," Brent Colburn, Michigan communications director for the Obama campaign, told the Ann Arbor News. "It's a place where we're trying to do everything we can to make sure everybody's registered to vote."
    - October 2, 2008
    platessmall.jpg
    setlist / notes: :
    VOTE FOR CHANGE COMES BACK TO PHILLY, FIRST OF THREE RALLIES
    This afternoon in Philadelphia, Springsteen began his three-city tour of Vote for Change rallies for the Obama campaign. After the introduction by a wisecracking Governor Ed Rendell, Springsteen and his acoustic took the stage for a seven-song, 45-minute set that opened with "The Promised Land." "Great to be here in my home away from home, Philly," Bruce told the crowd -- a huge turnout on this Ben Franklin Parkway esplanade -- adding later, "I tried this four years ago... this time, we'll win it!"

Songs included the relevant-as-ever "The Ghost of Tom Joad," the invitation of "Tunder Road," the determined rallying cries of "No Surrender" and "The Rising," and for fun, "a song I played many, many times at the old Main Point," "Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street."

Springsteen also prepared a speech the occasion, calling for a rock to keep his pages from blowing in the wind -- "Don't throw it!" He began by noting that he'd been writing about the American people for 35 years; he went on to what the Founding Fathers accomplished here in Philadelphia, what they stood for, and what their counsel would be these 200-plus years later: "Do your best to make these things real." Going on to address the difference between promise and reality in America, Bruce had some good laugh lines ("I occasionally play big stadiums like Senator Obama") and wrapped it all up by returning to that metaphor he liked to pull out on the Magic tour, of building a house together. "One thousand George Bushes and one thousand Dick Cheneys will never be able to tear that house down.... Come on, Philly, let's build that house."

Update: read the full text of the speech at brucespringsteen.net

Toward the end of the set, the crowd broke into a spontaneous "Yes we can" chant, Bruce adding some percussion on his guitar before offering up one more, a regular from the '85 stadium tour, Woody Guthrie's stirring "This Land is Your Land." And one final message to the throng of voters in Philly: "It's up to you now."

bruce2.jpg

bruce3.jpg

BRUCE4.jpg

BRUCE5.jpg

bRUCE6.jpg

BRUCE7.jpg

BRUCE8.jpg

brucephilly1.jpg

brucevote4cHANGE.jpg

Poster:

news100408phawker.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    My dad and I went to the Philly rally, and it was amazing. We waited a long time, but it was worth it... hearing the alternate versions of the songs was awesome. Beautiful day + free Bruce performance + backdrop of the Philly skyline + Obama support = GREAT day. :D

So now my Bruce show total is up to 4! All in a one year period too.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel headline Barack Obama midtown cash bash
    BY GEORGE RUSH and BILL HUTCHINSON
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, October 17th 2008, 12:09 AM

Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel headline Barack Obama midtown cash bash
    BY GEORGE RUSH and BILL HUTCHINSON
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, October 17th 2008, 12:09 AM

The Boss and The Piano Man raised the roof at the Hammerstein Ballroom Thursday night for the Democratic Party's main man.

Singing together for the first time, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel belted out Springsteen's "Thunder Road" and Joel's "A Matter of Trust" to the delight of 2,500 people at the Barack Obama fund-raiser.

After an introduction by Caroline Kennedy, Springsteen told the gathering, "Billy and I have rehearsed a little, but I hope you consider this more like the vice presidential debate."

The Boss and The Piano Man raised the roof at the Hammerstein Ballroom Thursday night for the Democratic Party's main man.

Singing together for the first time, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel belted out Springsteen's "Thunder Road" and Joel's "A Matter of Trust" to the delight of 2,500 people at the Barack Obama fund-raiser.

After an introduction by Caroline Kennedy, Springsteen told the gathering, "Billy and I have rehearsed a little, but I hope you consider this more like the vice presidential debate."
    platessmall.jpg
    hey, Bath did you get your Dream Baby Dream 10" yet? i haven't.

not yet.
    im waiting on this and i preordered the thunderroad book thing.
    keeping my eyes peeled for a Backstreets Record shop box ( with the familiar strung together ) pair of canvas sneakers! :eek: :eek:
    :eek: :eek:
    platessmall.jpg

also- i read that this is now up on itunes .

The Bruce / Billy Joel Show

someone posted these over at BTX

I was standing behind the last row of seats in the second balcony
    no camera police but I was kinda expecting secret service to tap me on the shoulder

caroline kennedy starts the night off at 9:10pm introducing the talent onhand and she then hands the mic to bruce,who says a few words
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R3dgPq_Ta8

john legend sings U2's IN THE NAME OF THE LOVE with the correct time of dr. MLK's assassination in the afternoon of april 4th 1968
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5mEcaXMY9Y

bruce and patti join john legend and india arie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApDAYmBdNcA

promised land
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6a72b7hlfo

bruce speaks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzZvSO0Yv0

this hard land with bruce sounding like tom waits at the beginning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYIss8rOC0

BILLY JOEL introduces Michele Obama
    miami 2017
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXNVRR50XE

BILLY and his daughter ALEXA RAY baby grand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Imkyopk-Q

10th avenue freezeout
    roys first appearance of the night
    bruce in full band leader form
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2tGbVPg4Y

movin out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOL95fKm2I

thunder road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz2_xOxKowg

a matter of trust
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMUZnkQbCqw

intro to spirit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSbhHjbdIK8

spirit in the night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYne9E4LL0c

allentown
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFZsRuVtQM

new york state of mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzA4uU0i72Y

born to run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zreaj4hrTo
    bruce jumps on billys piano at the end
    then jumps off and wipes the piano top clean

people get read w/bruce introducing Barack Obama at the end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jRKLZ5Ik8A
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    also- i read that this is now up on itunes .

The Bruce / Billy Joel Show

someone posted these over at BTX

I was standing behind the last row of seats in the second balcony
    no camera police but I was kinda expecting secret service to tap me on the shoulder

caroline kennedy starts the night off at 9:10pm introducing the talent onhand and she then hands the mic to bruce,who says a few words
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R3dgPq_Ta8

john legend sings U2's IN THE NAME OF THE LOVE with the correct time of dr. MLK's assassination in the afternoon of april 4th 1968
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5mEcaXMY9Y

bruce and patti join john legend and india arie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApDAYmBdNcA

promised land
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6a72b7hlfo

bruce speaks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzZvSO0Yv0

this hard land with bruce sounding like tom waits at the beginning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYIss8rOC0

BILLY JOEL introduces Michele Obama
    miami 2017
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXNVRR50XE

BILLY and his daughter ALEXA RAY baby grand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Imkyopk-Q

10th avenue freezeout
    roys first appearance of the night
    bruce in full band leader form
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2tGbVPg4Y

movin out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOL95fKm2I

thunder road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz2_xOxKowg

a matter of trust
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMUZnkQbCqw

intro to spirit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSbhHjbdIK8

spirit in the night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYne9E4LL0c

allentown
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFZsRuVtQM

new york state of mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzA4uU0i72Y

born to run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zreaj4hrTo
    bruce jumps on billys piano at the end
    then jumps off and wipes the piano top clean

people get read w/bruce introducing Barack Obama at the end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jRKLZ5Ik8A

i cant even imagine what it was like being there. is there a boot that you know of?
    so awesome you were there!!

i got an email from Backstreets saying they should be getting their order of the DBD 10" early this week so we should have 'em soon after that.

also ordered the first Suicide record.