Options

For those going to show with children

Comments

• Options
    KDH12 wrote:
    It is funny how the ones that complain the most about kids are the ones who do not have kids........

obviously, people who have kids become immune to how annoying they are. if they didn't, they'd never survive parenthood. it's like a biological necessity.

honestly, in general I actually like kids. I nannied my way through college and I have like 800 little cousins. It's the small subset of parents who don't understand that their children do not run the planet that I don't like. my teacher friends would certainly agree with me there!
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    obviously, people who have kids become immune to how annoying they are. if they didn't, they'd never survive parenthood. it's like a biological necessity.

i would bet my every limb that my son is far less annoying than you on any given day.

sorry to be mean, but you show no concern in your comments. at this point why should i? good day....go find some happiness so you are not so bitter.

not even worth discussing anymore.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    on a side note,,last year at the "black crowes ' show in central park

2 parents brought their baby twins ..these children werent more than 2 yrs old and the parents brought them to 1 of the biggest pothead meetups in nyc

no problems
    obviously pot was being smoked all around them ...

now that i think about it... i guess thats the reason the mother had sore nipples a few songs in :):) lol

hungry little buggers lololol
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Well, I have been to dozens of shows and I swear I have seen pot smoked at no more than a handful of shows and NEVER in my face. We must not like the same bands :p, or just because you are a pothead you must think everyone else is, too :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    on a side note,,last year at the "black crowes ' show in central park

2 parents brought their baby twins ..these children werent more than 2 yrs old and the parents brought them to 1 of the biggest pothead meetups in nyc

no problems
    obviously pot was being smoked all around them ...

now that i think about it... i guess thats the reason the mother had sore nipples a few songs in :):) lol

hungry little buggers lololol

waaaaaaaaaaa! you kill me! I love the crowes :D

to each his own, i would never bring my son unil now - 8 1/2. and i still wont bring him to PJ. ed should be a little less loud and a shorter show. i dont think he belongs at a PJ show for another few years.

my only pet peeve is bringing babies. they should not be exposed to such loud music - and if you bring your kids, bring ear protection! that's my main issue w/the kids at concerts thing.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    waaaaaaaaaaa! you kill me! I love the crowes :D

to each his own, i would never bring my son unil now - 8 1/2. and i still wont bring him to PJ. ed should be a little less loud and a shorter show. i dont think he belongs at a PJ show for another few years.

my only pet peeve is bringing babies. they should not be exposed to such loud music - and if you bring your kids, bring ear protection! that's my main issue w/the kids at concerts thing.

that was pretty funny i must say ;) loll

but the parents only stood for a few songs ,plus it was outside so the smoke wasnt close to the children in their strollers
    as for the loud music ,, again being outside helped ..but they did have mini earplugs in lol

and i must say ,,the kids didnt make a sound the whole time there
    ( i guess they were burnt out or something ) :eek:
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Well, I have been to dozens of shows and I swear I have seen pot smoked at no more than a handful of shows and NEVER in my face. We must not like the same bands :p, or just because you are a pothead you must think everyone else is, too :)

...but haven't you SMELLED it??...

I basically ASSOCIATE the smell of pot with shows.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I don't have kids but I gotta say it bums me out to see them at shows. Especially if it's a serious, rocking, take no shit band like PJ. I don't like the idea of PJ being a family band. They aren't. That and why do you want to bring kids? It's your band, not theirs. And if they like them, good for them. Don't you like them too. Parents and kids should not like the same music!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    ...but haven't you SMELLED it??...

I basically ASSOCIATE the smell of pot with shows.

Occasionally. I'm pretty sure it won't kill my child anyway.
    Besides, he lives in NYC. This lady in very high heels and very heavy makeup the other day smacked her teen daughter in very high heels and very heavy make up and yelled at her: "Why can't you walk like a fucking lady?"

:D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    smithnic wrote:
    I don't have kids but I gotta say it bums me out to see them at shows. Especially if it's a serious, rocking, take no shit band like PJ. I don't like the idea of PJ being a family band. They aren't. That and why do you want to bring kids? It's your band, not theirs. And if they like them, good for them. Don't you like them too. Parents and kids should not like the same music!

Exactly. It definetly changes the expierence. Yes it is your right to bring your kid, but cmon you cant tell me that having a bunch of young kids there doesnt makes a concert a little less cool.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    marcdmbfan wrote:
    I don't think there's a set age. Every child is different. If the child likes the music and asks to go then I see nothing wrong trying it. Yes, there will be drinking and smoking. Yes, Ed swears. It's not a big deal this day and age.

Couldn't agree more. My kid is 12 and this would be his first PJ show. Plus he's probably at some point heard me say worse words than EV will. He plays guitar and grew up on PJ so he knows all the words to most of the songs even the more remote ones.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    smithnic wrote:

I had the same take on it earlier and a couple people got really pissed it-it is a bit of bummer to go to a rock show and get disney world! but hey, that's how we feel (also I get bummed when little kids are like in the front row. that's just not fair. it's like watching the world series and they pan to the crowd and you see a 3 year old, fast asleep, taking up a seat). I agree that it's weird for parents and kids to like the same music (unless the parents gave birth as like teenagers maybe). I remember when I was a young kid, I purposely WOULDN'T listen to anything my dad liked because well, stuff dads like isn't cool! I mean usually in high school you come around and start checking out the music the last generation, but prior to that....
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    JaneNY wrote:
    Mine is awesome - she had to go at State College but she waited until RVM was over because she knew I really wanted to see it. We missed about a quarter of Nothingman as we raced out and back but we could still hear it. Now she rags me if *I* need to go!

edit - I just have to add this because I remembered it - until MSG II 03 I hadn't heard SOLAT live, and I so wanted to. After they played it, she turned and gave me on of the tightest little kid hugs ever. Its a moment I'll always remember. Shows are something we share and a way we bond. Its really nice to have something like that when your kid becomes a normal occasionally somewhat bratty/mouthy 13 almost 14 year old. We still have good times at shows and it helps keep us close.

Yeah, I see your point. I would also bring my 15 yr old or my 17 yr old. My 13 and 10, I don't know.......it's hard to say.

but that is so cool and I guess the whole thing comes down to what you know about your kid and what you know or hold as a behavior standard in your own life as a parent. I guess I just think that knowing this, the parent should know what might happen and not inflict some kind of bad behavior on others---if they know---but only if they know
    that something might go wrong that would prevent others from being able to hear the band and enjoy their time as well.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    I had the same take on it earlier and a couple people got really pissed it-it is a bit of bummer to go to a rock show and get disney world! but hey, that's how we feel (also I get bummed when little kids are like in the front row. that's just not fair. it's like watching the world series and they pan to the crowd and you see a 3 year old, fast asleep, taking up a seat). I agree that it's weird for parents and kids to like the same music (unless the parents gave birth as like teenagers maybe). I remember when I was a young kid, I purposely WOULDN'T listen to anything my dad liked because well, stuff dads like isn't cool! I mean usually in high school you come around and start checking out the music the last generation, but prior to that....

I think your point gets lost because of how you chose to express it. Calling kids "brats" (earlier post) is rude. My child isn't a brat and if that's how you feel about children, dont have any.
    Why do you care so much if children are there? How does a child being there make it "less cool" for you??
    It's weird to like the same music as your parents? Huh? I grew up listening to the Beatles, Stones -- all sorts of Classic Rock and my parents liked it too! That's cool IMO. Just bc I'm a parent I need to listen to crap? or bc I have a child he or she should listen to baby music? Come on.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Not just concerts, but nice restaurants, adult movies, etc. I absolutely cannot stand when a parent has a holier than thou complex because they had a child. That does not give you the excuse to ruin my dinner because your child thinks they’re at McDonalds play land and has not been taught the correct way to behave in public. I’m so tired of hearing “Fuck you, I have a kid, deal with it!” when you’re trying to watch a movie and kids are screaming at the top of their lungs…there are BABYSITTERS for a reason and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask parents to remove the kids from the hip and do something on their own every once and a while. Especially a concert. IMO an under middle school age child does not belong at PJ, it’s not Disney Land. Leave the kids with a baby sitter and take them to play the next day. Generally the kids who are acting out are only acting that way because they need to go home not to be sitting at a restaurant at 11pm with their parents who are too busy ordering another pitcher of margaritas to notice that their kids are probably ready for bed. Obviously a generalization but I've seen it hundreds of times.
  • Options
    More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 591
    I think your point gets lost because of how you chose to express it. Calling kids "brats" (earlier post) is rude. My child isn't a brat and if that's how you feel about children, dont have any.
    Why do you care so much if children are there? How does a child being there make it "less cool" for you??
    It's weird to like the same music as your parents? Huh? I grew up listening to the Beatles, Stones -- all sorts of Classic Rock and my parents liked it too! That's cool IMO. Just bc I'm a parent I need to listen to crap? or bc I have a child he or she should listen to baby music? Come on.

Don't waste your time on that person.
    One of the benefits of being a parent is sharing the things you love with your children.
    Enjoy the show with your child.
    I wish that I could take mine but I don't feel they are old enough yet.

edit:
    I'll say this, at the moment my first son was born, Given to Fly was playing in the delivery room. It was beautiful.
    That was 5 years ago tomorrow. I think of him whenever I hear GTF and he thinks of his father whenever he hears Pearl Jam.
    One day we will go to a show together.
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • Options
    deek74deek74 Posts: 111
    In mansfield i think it is 2 and under you don't need a ticket. I read it somewhere on their website. But don't take my word. Call them
    1996 Randals Island NY, Hartford 1998 Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2000 Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2003 Mansfield I, Mansfield III 2004 Boston I, Boston II 2006 Boston I, Boston II 2008 Hartford, Boston I, Boston II, Eddie Vedder Boston II 2009 Philly III 2010 Boston 2011 Eddie Vedder Providence, Eddie Vedder Boston 2011 PJ20 I, PJ20 II 2013 Worcester I, Worcester II
  • Options

I called kids who act like brats brats. ones that are throwing shit and making noise and messes while their parents sit there and let them at it.

It just does, ok. and 3 other people said that too, not just me. family-oriented things are not very "rock" ok they just aren't. I don't care if there are a few kids at the show, but it's this progression that's happening that people seem to want to turn everything into a family-oriented event.
  • Options
    Still at it -eh? I told my kids about this thread that I've been reading the last couple of days and asked them their opinion on it(since they've actually been to a show or two) They said no way should any kids younger than them attend a PJ show!!!!!!!!!! :)
    “Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And it is something you give away.”
  • Options
    Damn rose, i didn't know you had a kid!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    The irony here is that many Pearl Jam fans from the early days of the band are now pushing 40 and have families of their own.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Why would you want to have kids and ruin your life?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Danimal wrote:
    Why would you want to have kids and ruin your life?

my boys can succeed in athletics where I failed! Also, tremendous tax breaks, and a bigger chunk of W's economic relief plan.....sadly, I didn't qualify though!

Seriously though, if you did want a real/honest answer.........I need some people to play video games with......no thats not it.....kids are a lot of fun once you start figuring out how to take care of them.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    I took my 9 yr old daughter to see the Crue a few years ago, because I grew up with them and she liked their songs a lot. I have been seeing Motley for 20 years and I don't ever remember seeing a pair of naked tits.

The night I took my daughter, tits flashing every where. Good thing we had nose bleed seats. it was all harmless fun and I explained the best I could that this was not typical and I think it would have been way worse if I had a boy. Point is, you never know whats going to happen. You know your kid and what he/she can handle, you be the judge. Pot, profanity the more realistic culprit at a PJ show, drunks a plenty too.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    voodoopug wrote:
    my boys can succeed in athletics where I failed! Also, tremendous tax breaks, and a bigger chunk of W's economic relief plan.....sadly, I didn't qualify though!

Seriously though, if you did want a real/honest answer.........I need some people to play video games with......no thats not it.....kids are a lot of fun once you start figuring out how to take care of them.

I was only being a bomb thrower. I love kids.

Hhhahaha! I loved that you said you needed someone to play video games with!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Damn rose, i didn't know you had a kid!

Ha ha I know right? I'm a "new" stepmom. I've been his mommy for a year now. (he doesnt have a "real" mom so I have stepped up for the duty)

This is his look when I told him he can't go to a Pearl Jam show bc he'd make it "uncool" for others.. he he he.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/WildChildR/skyler.jpg
  • Options
    Don't waste your time on that person.
    One of the benefits of being a parent is sharing the things you love with your children.
    Enjoy the show with your child.
    I wish that I could take mine but I don't feel they are old enough yet.

edit:
    I'll say this, at the moment my first son was born, Given to Fly was playing in the delivery room. It was beautiful.
    That was 5 years ago tomorrow. I think of him whenever I hear GTF and he thinks of his father whenever he hears Pearl Jam.
    One day we will go to a show together.

You are right. I'll take him to the Gorge if PJ plays there again. Or even for a DMB show. It's a lot of fun to dance and hang out on the lawn and it's such a beautiful place. I really want him to experience these kind of things in his life and enjoy himself. :)
  • Options
    Ha ha I know right? I'm a "new" stepmom. I've been his mommy for a year now. (he doesnt have a "real" mom so I have stepped up for the duty)

This is his look when I told him he can't go to a Pearl Jam show bc he'd make it "uncool" for others.. he he he.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/WildChildR/skyler.jpg

hahaha that's great!

your brat is adorable ;)
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    ctvedhead wrote:
    I took my 9 yr old daughter to see the Crue a few years ago, because I grew up with them and she liked their songs a lot. I have been seeing Motley for 20 years and I don't ever remember seeing a pair of naked tits.

You're clueless and trying to be friends with your kid. Both are screwing up your kids. Sorry I had to tell you, but someone has to.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    hahaha that's great!

your brat is adorable ;)

Why thank you! :) I think so too. You should see him pick up his guitar and say "That's Eddie!" while jumping around my living room.