Options

For those going to show with children

Comments

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Get_Right wrote:
    Is/was your father a professor or something?
    well said

;)

HA :D
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    horton hears a who is a kids movie, completely different.

if you take your child to Evan Almighty (i picked it because it's not a kids movie but parents would probably think thier kids could handle, not because I think it is a good movie) and they start crying you would just stay there?

read post above - i already answered that question.

evan almighty was very geared towards kids.....
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    and just for the record if my kid cried during a movie, i would remove him and bring him back once he was calmed.

BUT I would NOT feel obliged to "profusely apologize to anyone" - IT IS LIFE

I am fortunate - I think my son has made 1-2 public scenes in his life. he is far better behaved than most adults.

i posted my response before I saw this post.

So what is the difference from removing a crying child from a movie and removing a crying child from a restaurant?

Its not fair to the parents who DID get a babysitter, so they could enjoy a night out without the kid.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    My mom has a friend ... and yes, this friend DOES have kids ... and we were all out at a restaurant once where there was this baby wailing. and wailing. and wailing.

My mom's friend walked over to the table and said, "Either give that kid what she wants, or get her out of here."

I was flabbergasted. I would never have the gall to say such a thing to anyone. But I kind of agree with the premise.

And, no, you don't have to apologize to anyone. If your kid is crying in the middle of a movie, take her outside. It's no big deal. It's these parents that just sit there and let the kid wail in the middle of "Kill Bill" or something that make me want to punch them (the parents, not the kids).
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    and if your child doesnt cry or cause a scene then they arent bothering anyone so it is not an issue.

but bringing them to a concert you are going to have an effect on everyone around you. They wont be able to do what they would do if your kid wasnt there.

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    i posted my response before I saw this post.

So what is the difference from removing a crying child from a movie and removing a crying child from a restaurant?

Its not fair to the parents who DID get a babysitter, so they could enjoy a night out without the kid.

so what are you saying - no one should be allowed to take their kids to a restuarant b/c other people pay babysitters? insane...

movie is diff. from restuarant. in a restuarant there is no place you can go but outside. you are not going to leave your table, with food, without paying a bill, throw your outer garments on, get your kid all bundled up to step outside and calm them down. by the time you are done with all of that, the tantrum will probably be over and the waiter thinks you left w/o paying and removes your food. you do the best you can given each different situation.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    When my nephew was little and my dad was alive...for fathers day we would always go to the racetrack. When my nephew was about 10 (he is a little entrepeneur... last year he brokered a deal for some Yankee books his father had yielding over $10,000 for the books...he was named after his self made multi millionaire uncle, Uncle John.)

Anyway....he had $10 to spend on $1 and $2 bets he made throughout the day. After he placed his first bet he was yelling... cheering on his horse...and some old man and a few of his cronies had shit to say!! This was the only time that happened... but still.

EVERYONE was yelling! Including the bitter, miserable angry old men that were unhappy with Johnny!!

What a bunch of horse shit.

(get it...horse shit. :) )
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    can anyone remember anything from when they were 3? i'm not sure if it's worth it to take someone that young to a concert.....10 and up should be fine....:)
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    wow. so you would take your kid to a restaurant or a movie and if he starts crying you would just say its a kid being a kid and everyone else should just deal with it? that is pretty selfish.

Did I say that? No. I would deal with the situation.

Kids are not there to be hidden away. And people who don't have kids don't need this sheltering. Some of you act like they are monsters or aliens or something. Geez!!!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    so what are you saying - no one should be allowed to take their kids to a restuarant b/c other people pay babysitters? insane...

movie is diff. from restuarant. in a restuarant there is no place you can go but outside. you are not going to leave your table, with food, without paying a bill, throw your outer garments on, get your kid all bundled up to step outside and calm them down. by the time you are done with all of that, the tantrum will probably be over and the waiter thinks you left w/o paying and removes your food. you do the best you can given each different situation.

no but you should be choosing a restaurant based on the fact you are bringing your child. Dont go to a "nicer" restaurant. Go to an Applebees or TGIFridays or something. Dont go to the new Italian place, or the nice steakhouse.

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758

if you aren't willing to remove your child from a crowded restaurant on the off chance that they throw a tantrum that is disturbing other diners, then yes, I'd say you shouldn't take your kids to a restaurant.

Go to McDonald's or something.

When we have kids, sometimes we have to sacrifice some things. A night out at a decent restaurant might be one of them.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    no but you should be choosing a restaurant based on the fact you are bringing your child. Dont go to a "nicer" restaurant. Go to an Applebees or TGIFridays or something. Dont go to the new Italian place, or the nice steakhouse.

haha so I guess once you have a kid you have to eat shit if you are going out for the night!?!? sorry. i wont eat in those places just to make adults without kids happy. he has been to great restuarants - and i said earlier - behaves better than most adults.

you see, it's ironic - the more you take your kids out to resturants from an early age, the better they behave. becuase they learn. the kids you are referring to are the ones who never go out b/c they are at home w/sitters, or go to applebee's - run around like nuts - and then they go to a nice place one night - who knows, maybe for a family gathering of some sort - they do not know how to act, and so they piss people like you off. hahahaha
  • Options
    if you aren't willing to remove your child from a crowded restaurant on the off chance that they throw a tantrum that is disturbing other diners, then yes, I'd say you shouldn't take your kids to a restaurant.

When we have kids, sometimes we have to sacrifice some things. A night out at a decent restaurant might be one of them.

honestly i do not have this issue - he behaves great!

on more than 1 occasion people have approached me saying "he is even better than a date!"

i mainly responded b/c someone thought you should have to "apologize profusely" if your child cries in a movie or restuarant. all i am saying is that it happens - you shouldn't have to apologize to a movie theater full of people. you act appropriately and remove the child and calm him or her. i do not disagree with that. in a restaurant sometimes it is a bit more difficult to do so..
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145

Or Thanksgiving dinner that UNFORTUNATELY ends up in a restaurant and you end up outside with your 18 month old the entire time. Thank God there were two of us there to stay with him and take turns eating turkey. Ugh!

That's why I won't bring my kid to a show for a while. Because I want to make sure that I ENJOY THE SHOW... Not because I'm worried other people will care. As others have stated you may bring someone as your 10c+1 ticket that I think is a complete asshole and I have to sit next to THAT person. I've sat next to little guys at PJ shows (Camden and Indy to be exact) and they were way better behaved than a lot of the adults in the venue.

Intolerance....that should be a PJ song.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

:D:D:D hahahahaha that was good ;)

I should post a pic of Dylan on the board saying "WARNING!!!! He may ruin your San Diego experience on 4/15"
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    I've sat next to little guys at PJ shows (Camden and Indy to be exact) and they were way better behaved than a lot of the adults in the venue.

do you smoke? Did you?

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    do you smoke? Did you?

hey look - i hear you on that. i am not anti-pot - as i said earlier. believe me i have been at shows and sat next to kids and been like "DAMN" - but it happens. the bottom line - and unselfish way - to look at it is - pot smoking is ILLEGAL. bringing your kid to a show is not. yeah, it sucks. but sometimes you have to suck it up.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Taking a child to a concert? Why don't you take them to a strip club too?

If your kid starts crying while I am getting a lap dance I am going to be pissed!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    hey look - i hear you on that. i am not anti-pot - as i said earlier. believe me i have been at shows and sat next to kids and been like "DAMN" - but it happens. the bottom line - and unselfish way - to look at it is - pot smoking is ILLEGAL. bringing your kid to a show is not. yeah, it sucks. but sometimes you have to suck it up.

Also, it is illegal to smoke anything inside most arenas, ampitheaters and the like.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    When is the all kids PJ show?

:p
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Also, it is illegal to smoke anything inside most arenas, ampitheaters and the like.

yes. and if concert goers bitched moaned and complained about that you would hear "well than dont go to a concert!"

its okay to annoy someone next to you while illegally smoking pot or cigarettes, but it's not ok to have your kid there with you legally b/c then they might feel bad smoking.....

hypocrisy - another good title for a PJ song :)
  • Options
    What about when you want to have a cig at an ampitheatre? Or, have a beer and sing with the crowd?

I just think that a kid shouldnt be at a show until they are old enough. (However old that is for your child) Just because they can go doesnt mean they should.

I used to have to deal with some relatives (who went to restaraunts all the time btw) and they could never sit still or not throw a tantrum about what they wanted. They were good kids, but no amount of time spent eating out would help until they got older.

Also, I cannot for the life of me understand why you would want to take a child to a bar like area until they were old enough to enjoy and process what they were seeing.

A concert is like a very large bar. Loud music, some drinking, some smoking, and a lot of people letting loose.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    do you smoke? Did you?

Nah. I was by myself and probably didn't have anything to smoke anyway. I find so many people are "intolerant" (heh) of pot smoking at shows as it is though!!!! Whether they have kids or not.

As much as others want to bash our current society for bringing kids too many adult places and blah blah blah....

Let's address the general intolerance in this world today.

Someone else posted about all the shit that was going around around the 2006 tour about smoking pot at shows and the guy from California that was bragging about getting people kicked out of shows for smoking...and everyone and their health concerns.

I don't know. Lasse Fare. Don't bother me and I won't bother you. If you bring a kid to a show you should expect people will be smoking pot and will just be respectful to not blow huge amounts at the kid. I started bringing my niece to concerts at age 9. This year she will go to Bonnaroo and PJ Camden without me. (And btw...she's 18 with 10c # 197xxx) Not always so bad to start them young. :)

ps-She has a weighted HS average of 104 and will get a lacrosse scholarship to McGill University. Obviously early exposure did not hinder her intellectual or social growth.
  • Options

I should post a pic of Dylan on the board saying "WARNING!!!! He may ruin your San Diego experience on 4/15"

I'm sure Ed will be more than happy to see YOUR little Dylan at the show! :)
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    I'm sure Ed will be more than happy to see YOUR little Dylan at the show! :)

ABSOLUTELY! hopefully we can hook him up w/olivia ;)
  • Options
    yes. and if concert goers bitched moaned and complained about that you would hear "well than dont go to a concert!"

its okay to annoy someone next to you while illegally smoking pot or cigarettes, but it's not ok to have your kid there with you legally b/c then they might feel bad smoking.....

hypocrisy - another good title for a PJ song :)

you ever heard the saying "Sex, Drugs and RocknRoll"

I dont think it is crazy to think people smoke weed at concerts. As a parent you should know this is going to happen and either be OK with your child being around it or dont bring your child to the show or go to the show and find a place on the lawn where they its not right in thier face.

Concert ettiquette shouldnt change because you decided to bring a child to a show.

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    4Powers20 wrote:
    you ever heard the saying "Sex, Drugs and RocknRoll"

I dont think it is crazy to think people smoke weed at concerts. As a parent you should know this is going to happen and either be OK with your child being around it or dont bring your child to the show or go to the show and find a place on the lawn where they its not right in thier face.

Concert ettiquette shouldnt change because you decided to bring a child to a show.

Concert ettiquette??? It is ILLEGAL to smoke anything (cigarettes, marijuana, pixie sticks, incense, anything) in a public arena, ampitheater, stadium etc. This has nothing to do with ettiquette.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    haha so I guess once you have a kid you have to eat shit if you are going out for the night!?!? sorry. i wont eat in those places just to make adults without kids happy...

Who said you had to eat sh*t?? What a weirdly overarching generalization you're making.

Well, how about the adults who DID hire a babysitter so they could get away from noisy kids in an upscale restaurant?

Ah, forget it. I'm sure your little kid is very well behaved and you deal with outbursts appropriately.

I'm just thinking that there is a pretty clear difference between family restaurants like Friendly's and Fridays and more grown up places. Even a well-behaved but noisy kid is okay at Fridays but in a nicer place, nobody wants to hear loud kids. Even their boisterous happy screeches kinda dampen the atmosphere.
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Having 5 year olds all around does make the scene a little less cool. I say, follow the natural progression. Take the kids to the kiddie-pop show of their choice when they ask at age 9, then let them experience rock shows as teenagers the way all of us did. I'm just saying it seems a little more appropriate in general.

Aww baby baby... tough luck. I could argue that the people who were of the age to appreciate music in the golden age of rock... many of them have kids, and because of all the reasons that got them into rock in the first place, they are going to want to share.

Also, there is never a good age to like crappy pop music and watch 12 year old girls acting like little whores. My son watches Disney Channel, and wanted me to buy "Kidz Pop" for him. I did. When he asked me what I thought about it, I said I thought that was music driven by the wish to succeed commercially, and make money, and that's not how I understand music. I also told him that I appreciate musicians who write their own songs and music and perform it. He seemed to agree, and now he has moved on to consider the Who his favorite band.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I have taken my son to a Phish show and to See Bob Dylan. He is 4 years old now. I can't wait to take him to see Eddie and the boys.

We left the Dylan Concert early because he was tired. That was fine. The Phish show was probably a bad call, but it was a few hours and now if they never get together again, or what not he can display his Phish ticket and Poster, or Dylan ticket and Poster in his College Dorm room, when he gets older and that would be a kick for a young man, at least it would have been for me. If I had a Led Zep ticket or the like.

I think open air venues sitting in the back is a lot of fun, and my son might not care about the artist, he dances like crazy and has a ton of fun.