Options

For those going to show with children

Comments

• Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Is there a word for someone who has a legitimate fear of vomit?

Emetophobia
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    Trying to prove >??????? what are you trying to prove by You going.

ED has had his daughter at shows MANY SHOWS, and she is the same age as my little one.
    lets see, I'm trying to enjoy a show by adults, about adult subjects, in an adult venue surrounded by adult behavior.

Oh I see, because Ed brings HIS daughter it's ok. He also is a wino, chain smoker, absentee parent and sometimes expresses obscure personal or political views. While I thoroughly appreciate the mans musical talent, father of the year and role model he is not. Gee wiz, he isn't God!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    prljmngrl wrote:
    lets see, I'm trying to enjoy a show by adults, about adult subjects, in an adult venue surrounded by adult behavior.

Oh I see, because Ed brings HIS daughter it's ok. He also is a wino, chain smoker, absentee parent and sometimes expresses obscure personal or political views. While I thoroughly appreciate the mans musical talent, father of the year and role model he is not. Gee wiz, he isn't God!

I'm not really judging anyone's parenting skills, but the just comparison doesn't hold. She is a kid visiting her dad on the job (and at her age she doesn't really pick up on cursing or other questionable habits from a kid's perspective). She probably has nannies who can bring her to bed whenever she needs to go, and her mom can just ask Ed to redo the show later. I doubt she would think twice about missing the show to tend to the kid.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    prljmngrl wrote:
    ... He also is a wino, chain smoker, absentee parent and sometimes expresses obscure personal or political views. While I thoroughly appreciate the mans musical talent, father of the year and role model he is not ...

Wow, that is WHOLLY out of line. Who are we to judge and make such harsh condemnations about something that we know so little about?

Parenting comes from the heart, and while we all have differing approaches, I'd be hard pressed to presume Ed's is lacking. I imagine the love he shares with those close to him is quite strong, and likely to build stronger and more lasting bonds than many "father of the year" candidates you may envision.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,217
    Just remember if you bring a kid, you are ruining the show for who ever is sitting next to you. And do not talk to me at the show and begin a sentence with "My child is here could you please not........"

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    Just remember if you bring a kid, you are ruining the show for who ever is sitting next to you. And do not talk to me at the show and begin a sentence with "My child is here could you please not........"

Funny though... some of the "could you please not..." would annoy me whether I have a child with me or not. Fill in the blanks:

-"not act like a drunken fool stumbling your way around, screaming the songs off the top of your lungs"?
    _"smoke?"

???

Perhaps I have a civilized child, but I don't see a difference between dumb blonds chatting the night away while Ed is singing Man of the Hour, drunk idiots who scream and stumble, and a kid asking to use the potty? Would any parent really let their child cry for any sustained amount of time during a show?
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Funny though... some of the "could you please not..." would annoy me whether I have a child with me or not. Fill in the blanks:

-"not act like a drunken fool stumbling your way around, screaming the songs off the top of your lungs"?
    _"smoke?"

???

Perhaps I have a civilized child, but I don't see a difference between dumb blonds chatting the night away while Ed is singing Man of the Hour, drunk idiots who scream and stumble, and a kid asking to use the potty? Would any parent really let their child cry for any sustained amount of time during a show?

All i am saying is i like to smoke a joint or two at shows and if I walk in and see a young kid in the seat next to mine, I get annoyed. I am the type who wont smoke if there is a kid next to me no matter how stealth I can be. It's not fair to the kid. But it is really not fair to everyone around you to have to walk on eggshells because a kid is in the middle of a rock concert. So if you want to bring a kid, get a lawn ticket and find a nice little area, possibly near other parents with kids, but dont buy seats where everyone around you doesnt have a choice but to deal with a child around them all night. It's not fair to the people spending money to go to a show.

• Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    hmmm... totally depends on the kid of course, some are totally into the music but i think most should be left at home until they are at least 9 or 10.
    and make sure you INSIST ON HEARING PROTECTION!!!

I saw a few amazing kids at The Gorge wearing big 'ol ear protectors and totally rocking out! it was precious ... but not very typical.

as for some of the other stuff brought up...
    i HATE when people around me at shows refuse to just stop talking for 5 minutes... why bother going to a concert??
    go to a bar and chat to your hearts content!!!

that's why the fan club seats are so great... you're usually around the best sort of concert-goer... the kind of person who is actually there to hear and see the show!!! :)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    prljmngrl wrote:

My father is a wino! Huge collector...has over 6,000 bottles in his cellar = terrible father? I think Eddie adores his daughter and who are YOU to even try and evaluate his parenting skills based on his performances. As crazy as this may seem, Eddie Vedder is a performer. He gets on stage, he does his shit, and then it's over. My father always had very strong political opinions that he shared with me. He taught me about equal rights and the plight of the working poor. When Eddie speaks, while it is his opinion, I would hardly call it obscure. You'd have to be living under a rock to find most of what he says irrelevant. Especially in this political climate. And as far as chain smoking goes...I smoke like a chimney. Quit before...gonna do it again. I have a great job in marketing in New York and it has hardly hampered my ability as a human being (besides the obvious...killing my lungs).

Don't judge what you don't know.
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options
    corduroid wrote:
    Wow, that is WHOLLY out of line. Who are we to judge and make such harsh condemnations about something that we know so little about?

Parenting comes from the heart, and while we all have differing approaches, I'd be hard pressed to presume Ed's is lacking. I imagine the love he shares with those close to him is quite strong, and likely to build stronger and more lasting bonds than many "father of the year" candidates you may envision.
    lol out of line ... I see, only Ed can voice his opinions. Wow. As for parental love and adoration, that is only one piece of the parenting puzzle.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Just chiming in here. I'm planning on taking my 10-year-old son to his first PJ concert if that Dallas date in September is true. He loves Pearl Jam - wears the kid's PJ shirts to school, knows a lot of the lyrics, always wants to hear them in the car or "watch Mike play" on a DVD or something. He's been begging me to take him. I think he will be ready.

He will have hearing protection and be forewarned that he may hear or see some things he is not used to seeing.

Actually I am thinking of trying him out on the Black Crowes here in May. It is at the Taste of Addison festival and we could just hang in the back and not in the crowded area. He likes them too.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    j.ro wrote:
    I think Eddie adores his daughter and who are YOU to even try and evaluate his parenting skills based on his performances. As crazy as this may seem, Eddie Vedder is a performer. He gets on stage, he does his shit, and then it's over.
    Don't judge what you don't know.
    Again, love and adoration are just one aspect of parenting. But as for performing, good point exactly. The show is a performance. It is of an adult nature. Not for children.

Those are MY opinions and I am sticking by them. Regardless of their unpopularity. Ed would be proud! :)
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    All i am saying is i like to smoke a joint or two at shows and if I walk in and see a young kid in the seat next to mine, I get annoyed. I am the type who wont smoke if there is a kid next to me no matter how stealth I can be. It's not fair to the kid. But it is really not fair to everyone around you to have to walk on eggshells because a kid is in the middle of a rock concert. So if you want to bring a kid, get a lawn ticket and find a nice little area, possibly near other parents with kids, but dont buy seats where everyone around you doesnt have a choice but to deal with a child around them all night. It's not fair to the people spending money to go to a show.

That sounds ridiculous to me. I take my kid if I want to. If you smoke the joint, it's your responsibility, if you don't, don't blame it on me.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    That sounds ridiculous to me. I take my kid if I want to. If you smoke the joint, it's your responsibility, if you don't, don't blame it on me.

So you dont have a problem with someone smoking a joint in front of your child?

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    So you dont have a problem with someone smoking a joint in front of your child?

Ok, a few things.
    My child is 8. So far, I have taken him to see Ben Harper at Radio City Music Hall and Neil Young at United Palace Theater. These are both venues where I could reasonably expect people to NOT light up joints. Indoor, theater-like venues are not very joint friendly. I simply choose NOT to put my child in a situation like that. If that happened, however, I am not sure I would say something. As I mentioned, he is 8. He does not know what a joint is, and I am happy to keep it that way for the moment. Some second hand joint smoke once every three years or so, he'll survive. I'm sure society compels me to feed him shit that's far more unhealthy than that. So to sum up... He goes to one show per year roughly. Shows where joints are unlikely to be smoked. If we bump into the situation, he'll survive.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Ok, a few things.
    My child is 8. So far, I have taken him to see Ben Harper at Radio City Music Hall and Neil Young at United Palace Theater. These are both venues where I could reasonably expect people to NOT light up joints. Indoor, theater-like venues are not very joint friendly. I simply choose NOT to put my child in a situation like that. If that happened, however, I am not sure I would say something. As I mentioned, he is 8. He does not know what a joint is, and I am happy to keep it that way for the moment. Some second hand joint smoke once every three years or so, he'll survive. I'm sure society compels me to feed shit that's far more unhealthy than that. So to sum up... He goes to one show per year roughly. Shows where joints are unlikely to be smoked. If we bump into the situation, he'll survive.

thats fine. Like I said earlier, i think it is cool to want to take your kids to show. Just understand that you brought your child to a rock concert, and there will be drinking and pot smoking, and it is unfair for you to ask people to stop because your child is there.

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    prljmngrl wrote:
    Again, love and adoration are just one aspect of parenting. But as for performing, good point exactly. The show is a performance. It is of an adult nature. Not for children.

Those are MY opinions and I am sticking by them. Regardless of their unpopularity. Ed would be proud! :)

Most performances for children are done by adults - so usually "adult" performances...ie The Wiggles are adults, etc.

If it was NOT for children as you so adamantly put it, there would be an age restriction. So you can make up whatever sort of rules you want to - but they are not the rules of the band or the venue - they are simply your own.

Also I am not anti-pot smoking at all, but hey - it is illegal - so it's not necessarily anyone's right to get pissed b/c a kid sits next to them and they feel bad lighting up. It is not permitted at the venue anyway - do it outside before going in.

Bottom line, a child has a right to be at a show more than a joint does :)

My 8 year old will be attending his 1st concert in San Diego to see Ed - with a very good set of headphones. I wont bring him to PJ yet because I think it is too long and too loud. He is a big fan and he's very excited. I am not trying to PROVE anything - I am bringing my child to an event that he has the right to attend because I think he would enjoy it. And to prove your theory wrong - he doesnt like The Jonas Bros. or any of that crap - should I force him to attend those shows b/c according to people like you - that is what he SHOULD be attending???? pleeeasse

If you are going to SD maybe you'll luck out by sitting next to us. He will be far better behaved than many "adults" I have seen at the shows over the years.....
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    thats fine. Like I said earlier, i think it is cool to want to take your kids to show. Just understand that you brought your child to a rock concert, and there will be drinking and pot smoking, and it is unfair for you to ask people to stop because your child is there.

I agree. I am taking my little guy and I am aware of the elements. He'll probably be one of the most mature one's there :)
  • Options
    Most performances for children are done by adults - so usually "adult" performances...ie The Wiggles are adults, etc.

If it was NOT for children as you so adamantly put it, there would be an age restriction. So you can make up whatever sort of rules you want to - but they are not the rules of the band or the venue - they are simply your own.

Also I am not anti-pot smoking at all, but hey - it is illegal - so it's not necessarily anyone's right to get pissed b/c a kid sits next to them and they feel bad lighting up. It is not permitted at the venue anyway - do it outside before going in.

Bottom line, a child has a right to be at a show more than a joint does :)

My 8 year old will be attending his 1st concert in San Diego to see Ed - with a very good set of headphones. I wont bring him to PJ yet because I think it is too long and too loud. He is a big fan and he's very excited. I am not trying to PROVE anything - I am bringing my child to an event that he has the right to attend because I think he would enjoy it. And to prove your theory wrong - he doesnt like The Jonas Bros. or any of that crap - should I force him to attend those shows b/c according to people like you - that is what he SHOULD be attending???? pleeeasse

If you are going to SD maybe you'll luck out by sitting next to us. He will be far better behaved than many "adults" I have seen at the shows over the years.....

If you're going to the show I hope you are sitting

Very, very nicely said. EV solo is a fantastic option for a child, he's lucky :)

Hopefully he'll make it awake till the end... but what about jetlag? My son fell asleep at Ben Harper's second song of the set, and slept through the entire acoustic set at Neil Young's. He then woke up for the rocking one and wanted to leave because it was too loud :o. Unfortunately we only had the foam earplugs because it was a last minute decision to take him. Definitely have the big ear thingies (like Olivia has :)) if you are going to something loud.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Was Ed's daughter at The Vic last year?
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Was Ed's daughter at The Vic last year?

yes balcony on the left

• Options
    meme wrote:
    Very, very nicely said. EV solo is a fantastic option for a child, he's lucky :)

Hopefully he'll make it awake till the end... but what about jetlag? My son fell asleep at Ben Harper's second song of the set, and slept through the entire acoustic set at Neil Young's. He then woke up for the rocking one and wanted to leave because it was too loud :o. Unfortunately we only had the foam earplugs because it was a last minute decision to take him. Definitely have the big ear thingies (like Olivia has :)) if you are going to something loud.

OH HE'S A NIGHT OWL!!!!!!! he can easily make it to 12-1am, so I dont think that will be an issue :)

as far as jet lag, we get in on Saturday - so we have a couple of days to adjust - Sea Word, Zoo, beach, etc. Can't wait!
  • Options
    OH HE'S A NIGHT OWL!!!!!!! he can easily make it to 12-1am, so I dont think that will be an issue :)

as far as jet lag, we get in on Saturday - so we have a couple of days to adjust - Sea Word, Zoo, beach, etc. Can't wait!

What a treat, have fun!
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    exactly. While I can completely respect and think it is a cool thing to do, you do know you are bringing a very young child into a loud enviorment where there will be drinking and smoking. And paying 75 bucks a ticket dont think my first priority will be shielding your child from what I do at a show.

Some things are just not for kids.

most of the small children I've seen at PJ and other shows have NOT enjoyed themselves. they look bored and antsy. I think it's cool to bring older kids- 9,10 who can tell their friends they went to a rock show and whatnot, but the younger ones just look uncomfortable and unhappy. Hell, kids look that way at anything long-baseball games, football games...obviously everyone knows their individual kid, but I probably wouldn't take one until they were a bit older and might appreciate it more.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    Wow.

This thread went from bad to worse.

1. An annoying child is more annoying than an annoying adult? Whatever. Annoying is annoying. I've been to A LOT of PJ shows and if you want to let people annoy you there is NO SHORTAGE of annoying people to do so. Hopefully if the child starts crying and whining the parent will take them out of the show.

2. ED... a band parent. Who the *f* are you to judge? Shut up.

3. Parents complaining about smoke and what have you because of their kid? There are a large ## of people on this board that have complained in past threads about people smoking pot at shows. People have even bragged about getting people thrown out of venues and threatened to report people smoking weed and stated they would try to get them removed from the venue at 06 shows!

4. People complain about cigarette smokers most places including lots of PJ shows.

5. If someone wants to pay for a seat and bringt heir kid...it may not *thrill* you but it is their decision. I might really dislike the fact that you brought that annoying chick who screams I LOVE YOU EEDIE all night or talks during the show...or that drunk guy..Or the guy is in and out of the aisle 27 times during the first 8 songs. I might not like your choice in people to bring either. That is why each person pays for their own tickets.

6. Lastly...I wouldn't bring my son at that age for purely selfish reasons. ME. I want to enjoy the show. He's only 2 but I don't plan on bringing him for a while.(5? 6? ... who knows... maybe earlier.) I'd bring him to SPAC at three! It's a park! (But I would have someone else doing *lawn* with him...like his dad. And they could leave when my son was ready! ) But damn if some people on this board don't appear to be rather intolerant and judgmental.

Especially poster referred to in #2. You win the prize. *Superlative* "Most Judgmental Post about Someone She Knows Very Little About" Goes to Prljmngrl.

Congratulations!!

*ps* there are a lot of kids who love concerts. My son, at the age of two, LOVES live music. (Wonder why? ;) )
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    prljmngrl wrote:
    lol out of line ... I see, only Ed can voice his opinions. Wow. As for parental love and adoration, that is only one piece of the parenting puzzle.
    prljmngrl wrote:

Everybody should express opinions in a chat room :rolleyes: that's what it's all about. I certainly welcome yours.

But - that's very different from dissing a member of the band personally on something deeply private, based on something you know nothing about. I doubt anyone, never mind Ed, would be proud of that.
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    I personally think it is a stupid idea to bring a child to a ROCK concert where sometimes as an adult, I am appalled by what I see and hear....and many times have to deal with. Put me in the group who thinks if the child is under the age of 13 they shouldn't be attending these types of events....it doesn't matter if the kid LIKES Pearl Jam....its the fact that you are supposed to be there parent and protect them from events that are not suitable for children...and a Pearl Jam concert certainly isnt suitable for pre-teens! ...and a 3 year old? Honestly, that is a terrible idea...the child will not even remember it!! Get a babysitter!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I've found a lot of times, parents bring their kids to these things because they think the kid SHOULD be into it ... not because the kid actually IS into it ... or the kid isn't into it at nearly level it would require to sustain interest for about three hours.

You've seen these kids at various events before. They look like they are in hell. Why would anyone do that to a child?

*Note to all parents reading this: I'm not referring to your kid. Your kid loves Pearl Jam, knows all the words to Lukin and can name all the drummers in succession. I'm talking about other people's kids.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    personally, I wouldnt bring a child under 12 or 13 unless it was a festival type thing where you can hang as a family

just not a good enviornment for a child IMHO
  • Options
    bring your kid, i dont care I will be smoking and drinking. Its a rock concert.