Options

For those going to show with children

Comments

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i havent read anything here but all i know is if i choose to blaze at a show

i dont care who is around me

well you will be in LA not san diego so I don't have to worry about you ;)

certianly NOT bringing the lil' guy to MSG!!!! I figured Ed solo would be mellow and a good beginning.......
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145

certianly NOT bringing the lil' guy to MSG!!!! I figured Ed solo would be mellow and a good beginning.......

You're doing a good thing. (You know this!)

Have a great time. :)
  • Options
    that was only due to your phrasing that the parent should "profusely apologize" if their child cries. no apology is necessary for a child crying.

and I would argue, that yes there is a reason especially if the kid is in an age-inappropriate situation in the first place. the adult chooses where to bring the kid. It is akin to leaving your cell phone in a quiet place. If you forget to turn your cell phone in a library and it rings, you apologize to the person next to you. If you choose to bring a kid to a library and the kid makes noise, you apologize. what on earth is so novel about this, I have no idea. you bother someone, you apologize. this is how society functions.

and I'll say this right now, if any of you want to bring your kid to the PJ shows fine that's ultimately your choice. But if I'm next to the kid and he's restless and annoying and ruins the show for other around him, yes, the parent should act, and yes the parent should apologize because it's the parent's decision. If *I*did something that ruined someone else's time at the show, I would apologize. Unfortunately many parents and non parents don't do this. there are no special impoliteness passes JUST because you're a parent. You are no better than the drunk guy who spills beer or sings in your ear. It is the same thing.
  • Options
    and I would argue, that yes there is a reason especially if the kid is in an age-inappropriate situation in the first place. the adult chooses where to bring the kid. It is akin to leaving your cell phone in a quiet place. If you forget to turn your cell phone in a library and it rings, you apologize to the person next to you. If you choose to bring a kid to a library and the kid makes noise, you apologize. what on earth is so novel about this, I have no idea. you bother someone, you apologize. this is how society functions.

and I'll say this right now, if any of you want to bring your kid to the PJ shows fine that's ultimately your choice. But if I'm next to the kid and he's restless and annoying and ruins the show for other around him, yes, the parent should act, and yes the parent should apologize because it's the parent's decision. If *I*did something that ruined someone else's time at the show, I would apologize. Unfortunately many parents and non parents don't do this. there are no special impoliteness passes JUST because you're a parent. You are no better than the drunk guy who spills beer or sings in your ear. It is the same thing.

a library is not equatable to a movie theater or restaurant, do you apologize to the whole theater? it just seems ridiculous to me. babies cry on planes, trains, movies, restuarants, etc. i would never expect an apology. some people are more tolerant than others.

age appropriate by whose definition? that is a particular opinion. i base age appropriate on age restricted places. i have seen babies in rated R movies = ridiculous.

it's all just an opinion....i am done here
  • Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    Here's a completely nerdy answer to the first question.

My kids have been to a lot of shows; PJ, Pretenders, Police, Bruce, Elvis Costello, Jonas Brothers (G*d forgive me), Beyonce, Chili Peppers, and a LOT more, starting since they were 2 (they're 9, 14 and 16 now).

But my experience was either backstage or in a family area, and it was only successful because I was able to remove them when they started getting tired or cranky, and there were usually other kids around. We leave though, when it's time to go.

I don't know about an indoor venue without a "family area." I say go for it but be prepared to cut out fast if necessary.
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Options
    kinetic wrote:
    Here's a completely nerdy answer to the first question.

My kids have been to a lot of shows; PJ, Pretenders, Police, Bruce, Elvis Costello, Jonas Brothers (G*d forgive me), Beyonce, Chili Peppers, and a LOT more, starting since they were 2 (they're 9, 14 and 16 now).

But my experience was either backstage or in a family area, and it was only successful because I was able to remove them when they started getting tired or cranky, and there were usually other kids around. We leave though, when it's time to go.

I don't know about an indoor venue without a "family area." I say go for it but be prepared to cut out fast if necessary.

yea I agree about the indoor one... i'd prob not do that. I'm thinking more of the outside types with a lawn area and stuff. Just thought it would be a really cool thing to share with my child.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    yea I agree about the indoor one... i'd prob not do that. I'm thinking more of the outside types with a lawn area and stuff. Just thought it would be a really cool thing to share with my child.

It is!

But I do believe it's time for the band to acknowledge their fan base is aging and having kids (as are they themselves) and start offering babysitting services, a family only seating area, or even better, Ed doing a night of Raffi/Sesame Street songs. I would SO go to that.

Baby Beluga...
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Options
    kinetic wrote:
    It is!

But I do believe it's time for the band to acknowledge their fan base is aging and having kids (as are they themselves) and start offering babysitting services, a family only seating area, or even better, Ed doing a night of Raffi/Sesame Street songs. I would SO go to that.

Baby Beluga...

Um... ha.. I hope you are kidding. :) I wouldn't go THAT far!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533

UNLESS U WERE NEXT TO ME of course ;) lol
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I would get a little mad if i was into the concert and one of them had to go to the bathroom and made me miss a set or whatever.

I don't know; I think my kids are cool and everyone has their own right to do whatever they please in this regard, but I think it would be very difficult to enjoy the concert and have to be on call as a mom during it.

But for all I know, it could work out great as well.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    I am in child welfare and I know the difference....
    I'm sorry but this was hilarious!

BTW...what exactly IS the difference between taking a child to a bar and taking a child to a concert?
  • Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    I'm sorry but this was hilarious!

BTW...what exactly IS the difference between taking a child to a bar and taking a child to a concert?

umm maybe because a bar has age limitations and it is illegal!

quite obvious.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    honestly i do not have this issue - he behaves great!

I mean, that's awesome. My point on this thread has never been, "Don't take your kids anywhere, ever."

My point is, take your kids anywhere you damn well please (within some realm of reason), just be prepared to deal with them if they might cause a scene.

If you're prepared to leave the table on the off chance your child goes apeshit for some reason, I have no problem with it. My problem comes when you go to a restaurant or movie or something and there is a kid just bawling and bawling and the parents act like they don't even hear it. That's when it's not cool.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    i do not feel like reading 11 pages......

what does it say.....

don't worry i am leaving 1.5 year old at home
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    I mean, that's awesome. My point on this thread has never been, "Don't take your kids anywhere, ever."

My point is, take your kids anywhere you damn well please (within some realm of reason), just be prepared to deal with them if they might cause a scene.

If you're prepared to leave the table on the off chance your child goes apeshit for some reason, I have no problem with it. My problem comes when you go to a restaurant or movie or something and there is a kid just bawling and bawling and the parents act like they don't even hear it. That's when it's not cool.

agreed. many parents do not teach right from wrong - they just ignore. not a fan of that myself.
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    I've taken my 13 old daughter to a couple shows. She loves music and I know she's going to be at a lot of concerts over the next coming years.

I've specifically made a point of showing her what happens to people who drink too much, why it's not a good idea to be any where but on the periphery of a no seat situation, and how to recognize bad situations developing.

Luckily, I've been to hundreds of shows over the past 25 years and have managed to avoid some potentially bad situations. My parents didn't even have a clue I was at concerts - nevermind give me some tips that might help out in a crowd of 60,000 wasted people with security guards that treat everyone like a vagrant.

Every kid is different and you have to base it on their level of maturity but there are certainly learning opportunities for them if you do decide to go - make the most of them and don't be a clown who gets wasted with his kids at the show.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    umm maybe because a bar has age limitations and it is illegal!

quite obvious.
    well lets compare shall we?

BAR: People, loud music, drinking, smoking, swearing, various other activities depending on the venue

CONCERT: People, loud music, drinking, smoking, swearing, various other activities depending on the venue

hmmm, I don't see much of an "obvious" difference
  • Options
    My 11 year old daughter absolutely loves the band. While I play all kinds of music in the house and car, she really has dug PJ for about three years now. Actually knows every word to most songs.

I'm going to bring her and my older daughter (14) to Mansfield but I had to bribe her.

You see, a couple summers ago we went to a Red Sox game on a Friday in June. On the way out, crammed into a packed green line train - some completely wasted college kid hurled all over the train. People were freaking out trying to avoid the wobbling puke as it ebbed and flowed down the train floor. Luckily the train stopped, I grabbed her and jumped off before it hit us.

Since then, the kid has a mortal fear of people puking. I just read the Boston 2 puke thread and after almost pissing myself, realized that this could go horribly wrong.

Is there a word for someone who has a legitimate fear of vomit?

They better play Sweet Lou for her!

In New York, a lady actually gave me her kid's seat on the train cause I was so messed up.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    writersu wrote:
    I would get a little mad if i was into the concert and one of them had to go to the bathroom and made me miss a set or whatever.

Mine is awesome - she had to go at State College but she waited until RVM was over because she knew I really wanted to see it. We missed about a quarter of Nothingman as we raced out and back but we could still hear it. Now she rags me if *I* need to go!

edit - I just have to add this because I remembered it - until MSG II 03 I hadn't heard SOLAT live, and I so wanted to. After they played it, she turned and gave me on of the tightest little kid hugs ever. Its a moment I'll always remember. Shows are something we share and a way we bond. Its really nice to have something like that when your kid becomes a normal occasionally somewhat bratty/mouthy 13 almost 14 year old. We still have good times at shows and it helps keep us close.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    well lets compare shall we?

BAR: People, loud music, drinking, smoking, swearing, various other activities depending on the venue

CONCERT: People, loud music, drinking, smoking, swearing, various other activities depending on the venue

hmmm, I don't see much of an "obvious" difference

I guess you are missing the obvious word "illegal" - bars have an age restriction - 21 and over. concerts do not. everything you are referring to above goes on at sporting events too. it would not prevent me from taking my son to a Yankee game or Ranger game. he has learned that some adults do not know how to behave. he also doesnt comeprehend "drinking" - a beer and soda to him are the same. he's young and innocent.

also - at a bar you are not going to see any type of performance - at a concert you are seeing a band you enjoy live. drinking is all that goes on at a bar. and not even smoking - at least in NY - it is not legal - just like you are not supposed to smoke in shows. No parent is doing anything against the rules or illegal by bringing their child to a concert. why is this so hard for you to understand?

pretty weak comparison. if you think they are the same, save yourself some money, forfeit the PJ shows and just go to bar and play PJ on the jukebox.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    I guess you are missing the obvious word "illegal" - bars have an age restriction - 21 and over. concerts do not. everything you are referring to above goes on at sporting events too. it would not prevent me from taking my son to a Yankee game or Ranger game. he has learned that some adults do not know how to behave. he also doesnt comeprehend "drinking" - a beer and soda to him are the same. he's young and innocent.

also - at a bar you are not going to see any type of performance - at a concert you are seeing a band you enjoy live. drinking is all that goes on at a bar. and not even smoking - at least in NY - it is not legal - just like you are not supposed to smoke in shows. No parent is doing anything against the rules or illegal by bringing their child to a concert. why is this so hard for you to understand?

pretty weak comparison. if you think they are the same, save yourself some money, forfeit the PJ shows and just go to bar and play PJ on the jukebox.

every show I have ever been to people have smoked weed. Illegal or not it is done. People speed on the highway. It is illegal, yet it still happens. I like to smoke a joint as the show is starting and one when the encore starts. You are not going to be able to stop the crowd from smoking because you brought a child. Know that it is your choice if you want to bring your kid into these surroundings, but you are not going to change the way the crowd enjoys themselves.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    4Powers20 wrote:
    exactly. While I can completely respect and think it is a cool thing to do, you do know you are bringing a very young child into a loud enviorment where there will be drinking and smoking. And paying 75 bucks a ticket dont think my first priority will be shielding your child from what I do at a show.

Some things are just not for kids.

Yep....;)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Leave the kids at home; but unfortunately, it is the drinkers, pot smokers, and cigarette pouters that are the worst

Damn, why is that so bad?? I don't do any of the smoking, but I sure don't give a shit who does!! Now drinking is another story! :) As for kids at shows...DON'T DO IT!!!
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    every show I have ever been to people have smoked weed. Illegal or not it is done. People speed on the highway. It is illegal, yet it still happens. I like to smoke a joint as the show is starting and one when the encore starts. You are not going to be able to stop the crowd from smoking because you brought a child. Know that it is your choice if you want to bring your kid into these surroundings, but you are not going to change the way the crowd enjoys themselves.

seriously, how many times do I need to repeat that I am not asking anyone to change their behavior??? I have told you that more than once.

what is the problem?

I will say it agian - you are free to smoke pot - people are free to bring their kids. period. you have rights - so do I.

no one should be coming down on people who want to bring their kid to a show just b/c it ruins their pot smoking experience.
  • Options
    everyone is allowed to do either side of the argument if they choose

parents know that pot will be smoked at a show

and burnouts will know some kids will be there smelling it

its very simple

its nobody's problem

smoke your pot bring your kids

me personally ...i wouldnt blow it in anyone's face ..but if children get to close to me ...what can i do?
    im gonna smoke it if i choose to..everyone is paying for their ticket
  • Options
    I guess you are missing the obvious word "illegal" - bars have an age restriction - 21 and over.

so then why do I keep seeing yuppie couples bringing their babies and toddlers and even young kids to bars these days? Apparently, if you are little enough and with your parents, there's no age limit anymore. it's only for teenagers I guess. I don't think the kids are going to be exposed to any bad influences (you usually see this behavior at more upscale or loungey places), it's more so that the other adults at the bar are not expecting kids to be there- they want to relax and enjoy themselves around other adults, not have chicken finger bits thrown at them by some little brat. Honestly, I don't understand why people don't hire babysitters anymore! That's why god invented 14-year-old girls. I mean geez when I was in junior high I watched every kid in the neighborhood. it's good for the economy and keeps the junior high kids busy so they won't cause trouble. everyone wins!
  • Options
    they want to relax and enjoy themselves around other adults, not have chicken finger bits thrown at them by some little brat.

nice...
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    everyone is allowed to do either side of the argument if they choose

parents know that pot will be smoked at a show

and burnouts will know some kids will be there smelling it

its very simple

its nobody's problem

smoke your pot bring your kids

me personally ...i wouldnt blow it in anyone's face ..but if children get to close to me ...what can i do?
    im gonna smoke it if i choose to..everyone is paying for their ticket

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THANK YOU! I mean - 10+ pages to understand this? really! it is very simple
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    It is funny how the ones that complain the most about kids are the ones who do not have kids........
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THANK YOU! I mean - 10+ pages to understand this? really! it is very simple

end of discussion

like u said if someone lights up next to you

u will go outside for 2 songs.. its not the end of the world

kids will be there and pot will be there ,, very simple

as long as the children arent screaming all night and as long as the burnouts dont blow it in their faces ,,whats the problem?