Options

For those going to show with children

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    Now this makes sense.
    Have fun.
    Your son will have the time of his life. just be carefull, 12 is a good age to start, it is so much differant than 8 or 9.
    pearl jam is also not motley crue, where are sitting.
    one size fits all in parenting dontch know!! cause nowayimfaithfull says so.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    mookie10mookie10 Posts: 41
    I say bringing your children is a personal choice and if you do bring your child you must deal with any consequences that will arise which you already know this. (pot smoking, drunk people, pee breaks, etc) Ive been a huge fan of pearl jam since I was 11 but my parents would not let go to a concert at that age. I didnt understand it then and I think now Im resentful for missing shows because of their "rules". But in saying that, I have a toddler and if she came to me at the age of 11 and wanted to see Pearl Jam, first I would congratulate her on her awesome taste in music, then give myself a pat on the back for raising such a smart child but in the end I can't say for sure Id let her go, even if I was with her. I think kids see a little too much these days at too young of an age. But its hard to say cause she is not even two yet so I may feel differently then. Tough call.
    "Well I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, but dont sell me there can't be better ways"
    ~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    There is a movie out with the rock in it called the gameplan, the actress is 10, her name is Madison Pettis.
    Somehow her maturity, not to mention she is an actress doesnt seem to fit with Motley Crue. This would be a decent comparison to my child.
    Give it some thought.
    Seven is also very young.
    Keep into consideration how hard it is too park, how tuff security can be with the simple things, like entrances and exits. The bathrooms get messy too.
    I also for the record live in New Jesey, so the venues would be
    Camden, which is and never will be an option.
    Msg, thats a tuff one for a young kid
    Borgatta, or dc.
    So these venues get scummy dirty with people including myselg going nuts.
    We are also talking about a band that used to jump out into the first ten rows.
    This stuff does happen.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    one size fits all in parenting dontch know!! cause nowayimfaithfull says so.

12 is differant. and the band is diffferant,

no more shows
  • Options
    12 is differant. and the band is diffferant,
    Different only cause you say so!
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    Different only cause you say so!

Well its 2 to 4 years, what does it comming from my mouth have to do with it. I didnt event the calender.
    If my kids 8 and hers is 12, maturity is a big differance.

no more shows
  • Options
    There is a movie out with the rock in it called the gameplan, the actress is 10, her name is Madison Pettis.
    Somehow her maturity, not to mention she is an actress doesnt seem to fit with Motley Crue. This would be a decent comparison to my child.
    Give it some thought.
    Seven is also very young.
    Keep into consideration how hard it is too park, how tuff security can be with the simple things, like entrances and exits. The bathrooms get messy too.
    I also for the record live in New Jesey, so the venues would be
    Camden, which is and never will be an option.
    Msg, thats a tuff one for a young kid
    Borgatta, or dc.
    So these venues get scummy dirty with people including myselg going nuts.
    We are also talking about a band that used to jump out into the first ten rows.
    This stuff does happen.
    This stuff does happen? And and girls that look like Madison Pettis (I had to google it) get snapped up like Jean Benet, maybe you should lock your daughter in a box or keep her on a leash? your imagination is quite full of anxiety for your kids. If your friends death is so painful perhaps you should get some professional help. Being overbearing toward your kids is not the way to compensate for your nervousness. My cousin OD'd on heroin, that scares me. I don't behave any differently in my child rearing as a result of this. Bad things happen to good people but you are illogical and obtuse in your associating the acts of a band with its crowd with sweeping generality. Also to hold anyone guilty twenty years after they have served their court ordered sentence is unconstitutional. I don't keep my kid away from Mike McCready, who associated with Layne Staley. He's not guilty by asssociation and therefore wholly unacceptable as a musical interest to my kid. You have not addressed Damian Echols. What if he's guilty? I hope he's not, I think he's not, but what if? Is Pearl Jam associating with him a good role model for your kids? Think about it. Eddie Vedder can't be held to a different standard than Vince Neil. Why is it OK to like PJ and not any band you deem unacceptable. Can you by the way give me a complete list of which bands are OK for kids and which are not. Also, which bands are OK for kids of which age. Somehow i get the feeling you and Tipper Gore would have a wonderful time stroking each others fears and figuring out how to oppress free speech. The PMRC lives on in you.

For the record, I've already said we had nosebleed seats, and for parking I work across the street from the venue, we parked in employee parking and went to the show. Free from muggers and rapists, I might add.
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    This stuff does happen? And and girls that look like Madison Pettis (I had to google it) get snapped up like Jean Benet, maybe you should lock your daughter in a box or keep her on a leash? your imagination is quite full of anxiety for your kids. If your friends death is so painful perhaps you should get some professional help. Being overbearing toward your kids is not the way to compensate for your nervousness. My cousin OD'd on heroin, that scares me. I don't behave any differently in my child rearing as a result of this. Bad things happen to good people but you are illogical and obtuse in your associating the acts of a band with its crowd with sweeping generality. Also to hold anyone guilty twenty years after they have served their court ordered sentence is unconstitutional. I don't keep my kid away from Mike McCready, who associated with Layne Staley. He's not guilty by asssociation and therefore wholly unacceptable as a musical interest to my kid. You have not addressed Damian Echols. What if he's guilty? I hope he's not, I think he's not, but what if? Is Pearl Jam associating with him a good role model for your kids? Think about it. Eddie Vedder can't be held to a different standard than Vince Neil. Why is it OK to like PJ and not any band you deem unacceptable. Can you by the way give me a complete list of which bands are OK for kids and which are not. Also, which bands are OK for kids of which age. Somehow i get the feeling you and Tipper Gore would have a wonderful time stroking each others fears and figuring out how to oppress free speech. The PMRC lives on in you.

For the record, I've already said we had nosebleed seats, and for parking I work across the street from the venue, we parked in employee parking and went to the show. Free from muggers and rapists, I might add.

I am noway on any level of this.
    I just have higher standards.
    I just do not think motley crue is where any 9/ten year old girls needs to be.
    Thats it, that band is just too trashy. And a girl that age is just to young for their measage.
    I am not paronoid or have any anxiety with my children. They make there own choices for the most part. I have descibed them enough for you to get a more clear measage on who we are.
    They ahve been to concerts.
    They are involved in many activites. We do not lock them in the house.
    I just hink motley crue is poor judgment
    Why should you redicule me for trying to raise my kids with boundaries?because my standards are higher than yours, give me a break, your making fun of me like I am some church dude.
    I am hitting 8 shows partying my ass off. My wife and kids will be in West Palm while I am at the 2 shows in Fla vacationing.
    I also do not give a shit about any of these peoples association, I was being sarcastic last night before you whacked out, and you relized that so why you would make such strong points about my humor for your explanation.

1 Question here, what would your daughters teacher have said, if you asked her if she should go to the crue concert. My wife is a school teacher, I uasually view things pretty evenly with her.
    If she laughed and said your crazy and pointed out, booze, wrong measage in the music, crowd mayhem
    What would you do.
    Take your daughter out of her class, becasue you made me sound like a fucking serial killer for having these views.

no more shows
  • Options
    I am noway on any level of this.
    I just have higher standards.
    I just do not think motley crue is where any 9/ten year old girls needs to be.
    Thats it, that band is just too trashy. And a girl that age is just to young for their measage.
    I am not paronoid or have any anxiety with my children. They make there own choices for the most part. I have descibed them enough for you to get a more clear measage on who we are.
    They ahve been to concerts.
    They are involved in many activites. We do not lock them in the house.
    I just hink motley crue is poor judgment
    Why should you redicule me for trying to raise my kids with boundaries?because my standards are higher than yours, give me a break, your making fun of me like I am some church dude.
    I am hitting 8 shows partying my ass off. My wife and kids will be in West Palm while I am at the 2 shows in Fla vacationing.
    I also do not give a shit about any of these peoples association, I was being sarcastic last night before you whacked out, and you relized that so why you would make such strong points about my humor for your explanation.

1 Question here, what would your daughters teacher have said, if you asked her if she should go to the crue concert. My wife is a school teacher, I uasually view things pretty evenly with her.
    If she laughed and said your crazy and pointed out, booze, wrong measage in the music, crowd mayhem
    What would you do.
    Take your daughter out of her class, becasue you made me sound like a fucking serial killer for having these views.
    That's just it, you stand here pontificating that your standards are better than mine and mine are poor. Personally, I think that taking a vacation from NJ with your family and leaving them while you go to a concert is in remarkably poor taste. Marraige and family are sacred and my time with them on vacation should not be cut short. You are quite an ill man and your kids are at high risk for emotional problems. A teacher who tells a parent exactly what to do would be laughed at in my town. Don't know what its like down in the fields of Stepford NJ, but where I am from people mind their own business, Cupcake!
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    That's just it, you stand here pontificating that your standards are better than mine and mine are poor. Personally, I think that taking a vacation from NJ with your family and leaving them while you go to a concert is in remarkably poor taste. Marraige and family are sacred and my time with them on vacation should not be cut short. You are quite an ill man and your kids are at high risk for emotional problems. A teacher who tells a parent exactly what to do would be laughed at in my town. Don't know what its like down in the fields of Stepford NJ, but where I am from people mind their own business.

So I cant leave my family with my mom and brother who live 10 mins from west pal beach. I am an ill man, for this. Wow you are whacked.

You are fuuuuucked uuuuup

My family does things all the time without all of us there.

And you arent even answering the question I asked, you answered your version.
    I never said the teacher would tell you what to do. People ask advice all the time, it is a part of life.
    I said what would a teacher of your daughters, opinion be, becasue this is probably a solid figure in your childs life considering your nomination for mom of the year was cancelled.

You are not even responding to my points of view.

Im out.

no more shows
  • Options
    So I cant leave my family with my mom and brother who live 10 mins from west pal beach. I am an ill man, for this. Wow you are whacked.

You are fuuuuucked uuuuup

My family does things all the time without all of us there.

And you arent even answering the question I asked, you answered your version.
    I never said the teacher would tell you what to do. People ask advice all the time, it is a part of life.
    I said what would a teacher of your daughters, opinion be, becasue this is probably a solid figure in your childs life considering your nomination for mom of the year was cancelled.

You are not even responding to my points of view.

Im out.
    You are conditioning your kids that Dad's more important than they are. I only get a few weeks of vacation a year, I aint leaving my kid in some hotel or with a bunch of distant relatives. Lots of fun that would be. What if some drunk heard Shout at the Devil on the radio and while pumping his fist and listening to that horrible satanic message could cause a car accident while your at the Pearl Jam concert. If that happened, you would wish you were with them.;d
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    You are conditioning your kids that Dad's more important than they are. I only get a few weeks of vacation a year, I aint leaving my kid in some hotel or with a bunch of distant relatives. Lots of fun that would be. What if some drunk heard Shout at the Devil on the radio and while pumping his fist and listening to that horrible satanic message could cause a car accident while your at the Pearl Jam concert. If that happened, you would wish you were with them.;d

You should learn how to read, , mom brother, and sister live their.

You are a mess and cant even read so good luck.

no more shows
  • Options
    You should learn how to read, , mom brother, and sister live their.

You are a mess and cant even read so good luck.
    You should learn how to raise your kids.
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    I personally think it is a stupid idea to bring a child to a ROCK concert where sometimes as an adult, I am appalled by what I see and hear....and many times have to deal with. Put me in the group who thinks if the child is under the age of 13 they shouldn't be attending these types of events....it doesn't matter if the kid LIKES Pearl Jam....its the fact that you are supposed to be there parent and protect them from events that are not suitable for children...and a Pearl Jam concert certainly isnt suitable for pre-teens! ...and a 3 year old? Honestly, that is a terrible idea...the child will not even remember it!! Get a babysitter!

This is so true! Have we all forgotten the pushing and shoving, the spilling of beer, the puking, the nasty port-a-potties, trash everywhere, broken glass, the b-line for the door at the end? I'm sure all of us have experienced one or all of these. The music is way too loud for a three year old and a PJ concert is definitely NOT a place for them. Fuck everyone else and what they paid for their ticket- they wouldn't be able to hear a whining kid anyway. This shouldn't even be an issue. You should base your decision on the safety of your child. Get a babysitter and be responsible. And yes, I have a 3 year old and two teenagers. Teenagers go.... 3 yr old stays home. No WAY!
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • Options
    This is so true! Have we all forgotten the pushing and shoving, the spilling of beer, the puking, the nasty port-a-potties, trash everywhere, broken glass, the b-line for the door at the end? I'm sure all of us have experienced one or all of these. The music is way too loud for a three year old and a PJ concert is definitely NOT a place for them. Fuck everyone else and what they paid for their ticket- they wouldn't be able to hear a whining kid anyway. This shouldn't even be an issue. You should base your decision on the safety of your child. Get a babysitter and be responsible. And yes, I have a 3 year old and two teenagers. Teenagers go.... 3 yr old stays home. No WAY!

thank you, a very educated post, so I guess its safe to say you wouldnt be bringing a girl to motley crue who is 9.

no more shows
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    You should learn how to raise your kids.

Because I wouldnt take my child to a rock concert under 12 years old, I need to learn how to parent.
    Youy are the best.
    Thanks for the laughs.
    And honestly learning how to raise kids isnt something that ever stops, it is continuos. A challenge if I must add.
    For you to even speculate on how I raise my kids becasue I have stricter values is nonsense and ignorant. You actually sound 10. When I am around a parent that is being too strict with their kids, I respect them, I sure as hell dont mock them. How many parents arent even around.
    The fact is when a parent takes the time to install strict values in a child it usually means they care about them. They have to be taught the differance from right and wrong from someone. And fortunatly its the job of the parent, it may suck, but its your job.

no more shows
  • Options
    Because I wouldnt take my child to a rock concert under 12 years old, I need to learn how to parent.
    Youy are the best.
    Thanks for the laughs.
    And honestly learning how to raise kids isnt something that ever stops, it is continuos. A challenge if I must add.
    For you to even speculate on how I raise my kids becasue I have stricter values is nonsense and ignorant. You actually sound 10. When I am around a parent that is being too strict with their kids, I respect them, I sure as hell dont mock them. How many parents arent even around.
    The fact is when a parent takes the time to install strict values in a child it usually means they care about them. They have to be taught the differance from right and wrong from someone. And fortunatly its the job of the parent, it may suck, but its your job.
    Yes Sigmund Freud would love to tear that apart.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,164
    "you know, last time i checked this was america."
    -steve byrne
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    spankyMP wrote:
    "you know, last time i checked this was america."
    -steve byrne
    My point exactly which is why I resent being told that I am trash for taking my kid to a rock show. ahem. ...
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Leave your snotty brats at home.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    If you are a Pearl Jam Fan and decide to bring your child(ren) - OR- you are a Pearl Jam Fan and decide to "torch up your weed" - please feel free to sit next to me. WE are fine either way. ( I don't personally "smoke" and no children at home - anymore). Do what you want. I remain "neutral." I think we will all be there for the same reason. Being a new member - not sure my opinion is respected - but this kind of stuff doesn't concern me in the least. We, no doubt will have some bad seats.....but we don't need the greatest "view." We'll be able to hear the music just the same. And.....my name says it all....I just turned 44. Proud of it. I know there are MANY younger people that are PJ fans, too. I think this is really great! We can all learn something from each other. This may sound "stupid-simple" - but all of these debates seem futile. Let's just go and see them - and let's just all have a great time and ENJOY! :)
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rossum20
    I personally think it is a stupid idea to bring a child to a ROCK concert where sometimes as an adult, I am appalled by what I see and hear....and many times have to deal with. Put me in the group who thinks if the child is under the age of 13 they shouldn't be attending these types of events....it doesn't matter if the kid LIKES Pearl Jam....its the fact that you are supposed to be there parent and protect them from events that are not suitable for children...and a Pearl Jam concert certainly isnt suitable for pre-teens! ...and a 3 year old? Honestly, that is a terrible idea...the child will not even remember it!! Get a babysitter!

Not sure where you live Rossum20 but I hate to tell you they have probably seen and heard as bad (if not worse) on the school bus or at the Middle School by preteen years. Ask any teacher who teaches in an urban area and many suburban areas, if you disagree. And it's not like I'm giving him a ticket, saying see ya later, and then proceeding out to find a party and disappear. We are there to enjoy the music and the vibe from other PJ lovers like ourselves. I will be there to protect him from the big bad bogey men/women you think are just waiting to pounce on children who are standing with their parent. Having been to many PJ shows myself (with the exception of perhaps Lollapalooza) I did not witness anything I do not think he could handle. Plus, he is a 5'2" black belt in Tang Soo Do and can handle most physical situations should they arise, probably better than I.
    IMO many parents with your point of view live in an unrealistic world and often find yourseves shocked at what your little Johnny or Susie are doing behind your backs then blame it on their friends because they could never think of it since you didn't raise them like that. It might be a bit of denial on their part or they feel their child isn't mature enough to handle a concert situation with them there, especially if you are shocked by some of the things you've witnessed. Just because I don't smoke pot and other people may be doing it, doesn't mean he's going to freak out seeing it then immediately run and try some. He saw it being smoked at Green Day and laughed about how everybody kept coughing real bad from it as well as complained about the smell,LOL! Even if he should get a contact buzz, I doubt the effects will be any more debilitating than a tsp of cough medicine the doctor gives him when he has a bad cough. (Know this because I am in the medical profession) Things have changed since I started going to concerts in the early 70's (yes alone with my friends) and today. That is why I am attending the show with him to address issues he might question. I would rather he came to or was with me when these things came up so we could discuss them, because they are real. Bottom line is I know my son and I know his level of maturity so I have no reservations about taking him to the show this summer. Perhaps your children are not at that level yet. However, I do think it's unfair to categorize people who take their preteen-teen kids to a show as bad parents because of what may go on there - for goodness sake turn on the tv and watch one of those stupid reality shows or worse yet some of the Disney shows. Each child is unique and that is the measurement a parent should use. Calling others bad or uncaring parents for their choice is not only incorrect but very immature and unrealistic since you do not know me or the other parents you are stereotyping.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    editing bc I just dont' care anymore.....
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    4Powers20 wrote:
    no but i have seen alot of people do drugs at shows.
    and what does the 4POWERS20 stand for?? 420, huh? Id rather have a ton of pot smokers around me then a bunch of kids anyday..and yes, I have kids, have taken them to many many shows, but still had to supervise then and miss parts of the show.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org