Options

For those going to show with children

Comments

• Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    chromiam wrote:
    Concert ettiquette??? It is ILLEGAL to smoke anything (cigarettes, marijuana, pixie sticks, incense, anything) in a public arena, ampitheater, stadium etc. This has nothing to do with ettiquette.

I am well aware that it is illegal. yet it is still done and I have seen it at every show I have ever been to.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    What about when you want to have a cig at an ampitheatre? Or, have a beer and sing with the crowd?

I just think that a kid shouldnt be at a show until they are old enough. (However old that is for your child) Just because they can go doesnt mean they should.

I used to have to deal with some relatives (who went to restaraunts all the time btw) and they could never sit still or not throw a tantrum about what they wanted. They were good kids, but no amount of time spent eating out would help until they got older.

Also, I cannot for the life of me understand why you would want to take a child to a bar like area until they were old enough to enjoy and process what they were seeing.

A concert is like a very large bar. Loud music, some drinking, some smoking, and a lot of people letting loose.

Do you have kids? Ever bring them to large parties? (4th of July...block party... Kevin Smiths Annual Labor Day Party...;) ) Do people generally drink and smoke at these types of things? If you are a parent. Do you leave your child home when it's 4th of July? How about going to the beach? Lots of people drinking and smoking. Leave the kids home as they are going to get overexposed.. or bring them along and then use any bad behavior they may wirtness as a learning tool?

I'm not saying bring your kid to bars every weekend. I am in child welfare and I know the difference....
  • Options
    What I dont get is so many people are calling concerts "adult events" but here is my question... what is the difference between taking a kid to a concert or a sporting event? Truthfully, at sporting events you have the cursing and drinking, and various fights breaking out.

Personal, I would rather take my kids to a concert that is a positive environment. People might curse, drink, and smoke pot but my kids will not be exposed to violence.

I am not saying that all sporting events get violent. All I am saying is they do get violent and it is completely socially acceptable to take kids to them... But concerts where people are happy and coming together in a positive way, there is something wrong with that?
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    I am well aware that it is illegal. yet it is still done and I have seen it at every show I have ever been to.

Yes. Except for Aerosmith in Salt Lake. NO WEED IN THE ENTIRE VENUE. I'm pretty sure! :)
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    the more you take your kids out to resturants from an early age, the better they behave. becuase they learn. the kids you are referring to are the ones who never go out b/c they are at home w/sitters, or go to applebee's - run around like nuts - and then they go to a nice place one night - who knows, maybe for a family gathering of some sort - they do not know how to act, and so they piss people like you off. hahahaha

Absolutely
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    What I dont get is so many people are calling concerts "adult events" but here is my question... what is the difference between taking a kid to a concert or a sporting event? Truthfully, at sporting events you have the cursing and drinking, and various fights breaking out.

Personal, I would rather take my kids to a concert that is a positive environment. People might curse, drink, and smoke pot but my kids will not be exposed to violence.

I am not saying that all sporting events get violent. All I am saying is they do get violent and it is completely socially acceptable to take kids to them... But concerts where people are happy and coming together in a positive way, there is something wrong with that?

And yeah... There's just a little bit of drinking at ball games, huh?

Excellent point.
  • Options

Do you really not see the difference between sports and music? Really?

Really??
    SEX DRUGS AND BASEBALL

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    4Powers20 wrote:
    you ever heard the saying "Sex, Drugs and RocknRoll"

I dont think it is crazy to think people smoke weed at concerts. As a parent you should know this is going to happen and either be OK with your child being around it or dont bring your child to the show or go to the show and find a place on the lawn where they its not right in thier face.

Concert ettiquette shouldnt change because you decided to bring a child to a show.

I NEVER said it should change. All I am saying is just like I am NOT preaching "dont drink or smoke b/c my kid is gonna be there" no one else should be making the judgement whether or not it is ok if I bring my 8 year old. he is permitted there, just like anyone else. I won't be thrilled if someone lights up a joint next to us, but I wouldn't say anything either. I will deal with it IF it happens - I can just walk out for a song or 2. I just think it is WRONG to say a kid doesn't belong there. It is a public place. A public place that allows kids but does NOT permit smoking. So I think it is more proper to bring a kid than to smoke - that is all. People around me can do whatever they want. I am not making any rules - that is up to the venue.
  • Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    And yeah... There's just a little bit of drinking at ball games, huh?

Excellent point.

True. A lot of pro teams now have "family seating," where there's no alcohol allowed in a fairly large area because there were so many complaints about drunken yahoos scaring the little 'uns, and now the kids and their sober parents don't have to deal with that.
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:

Really??

Really. What? These athletes should be their heroes? Is that the difference? We want them to aspire to be who? Roger Clemens? Michael Vick? OJ Simpson? I once read that over 60% of the NFL have felony records.

I'd rather have my guy aspire to be like Ed and get exposed to that...

Not massively drunk and angry people screaming at a hockey game to beat the shit out of another player.

THIS HAS TO BE MY LAST POST ON HERE. I HATE THESE THREADS THAT SUCK ME IN AND AREN'T EVEN ABOUT PEARL JAM!!!
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    SEX DRUGS AND BASEBALL

that is a lifestyle phrase, not a concert experience. I never saw anyone have sex at a show :eek:
  • Options
    I NEVER said it should change. All I am saying is just like I am NOT preaching "dont drink or smoke b/c my kid is gonna be there" no one else should be making the judgement whether or not it is ok if I bring my 8 year old. he is permitted there, just like anyone else. I won't be thrilled if someone lights up a joint next to us, but I wouldn't say anything either. I will deal with it IF it happens - I can just walk out for a song or 2. I just think it is WRONG to say a kid doesn't belong there. It is a public place. A public place that allows kids but does NOT permit smoking. So I think it is more proper to bring a kid than to smoke - that is all. People around me can do whatever they want. I am not making any rules - that is up to the venue.

thats fine. If you dont care about people smoking in front of your child, I dont care.

• Options
    that is a lifestyle phrase, not a concert experience. I never saw anyone have sex at a show :eek:

no but i have seen alot of people do drugs at shows.

• Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Do you have kids? Ever bring them to large parties? (4th of July...block party... Kevin Smiths Annual Labor Day Party...;) ) Do people generally drink and smoke at these types of things? If you are a parent. Do you leave your child home when it's 4th of July? How about going to the beach? Lots of people drinking and smoking. Leave the kids home as they are going to get overexposed.. or bring them along and then use any bad behavior they may wirtness as a learning tool?

I'm not saying bring your kid to bars every weekend. I am in child welfare and I know the difference....
    I do not have kids. Don't think that I don't like them though. I hope to have them soon. However, I have seen them at many a 4th of July party and block party. Relatives or not. Yes people do smoke and drink at them. They are get togethers for families, and family members smoke and drink. I do not think that they should be left away from all situations. I would say that a beach is a place where all people need to be respectful of each other. ( I would say avoid Daytona. :) )

Witnessing bad behavior is a tool you are right, but I think that a little thought needs to go each way. Kids have a right to be in public, adults have a right to their engagements, and both should use their heads when the waters cross. My real point was that a concert is no place for a 3 year old.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    no but i have seen alot of people do drugs at shows.

hopefully you won't be sitting next to us in San Diego ;)
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    4Powers20 wrote:

Guess that means you'd have no problem being asked to put it out or being told by security to put it out or leave the arena??
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    and the person next to you screaming in your effing ear thru the whole show?!?!?!?!?

when did anyone say this acceptable either? two wrongs don't make a right.
    so if your baby is crying in a restuarant - or any other public place - where adults "are enjoying themselves" - should you remove them even if it's pouring rain out?

yes, there is somewhere to remove them to- the hallway, your car, whatever. that's just being nit-picky- you know what I meant. if not "outside" than "away" how about that? and let's not confuse terms here. true Public places are places like parks. We are talking about places where people pay money to enjoy themselves sans crying. We are not asking parents to do anything drastic here- just take responsibility for your kid. It's amazing how opposed to taking responsibility for your kid people are.

so kids can't go see Horton Hears a who? they should be prohibited from theaters too....lol
    No, KIDS can go to KIDS movies. BABIES cannot go to any movies.

seems like a BAN CHILDREN campaign to me....lol where do you draw the line?
    kids should not be in places that have age restrictions and do not allow kids. it's pretty simple. everywhere else is public and free reign...

I'm saying there are appropriate places and ages everywhere you look and it is matter of proper judgement. if a parent makes an error in judgment and accidentally takes a child to a place they cannot handle and/or where they do not belong, or where they are bothering other people, then the parent should take responsibility. Since when is this "banning children"? Since when is this some novel new idea?
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    Do you really not see the difference between sports and music? Really?

Really??
    SEX DRUGS AND BASEBALL

Well, with baseball it would be...

beer, fights and human growth hormones.

Id take the sex, drug, and rock and roll any day.

sex: there really is nothing wrong with sex, drugs: well considering that alcohol is a drug, they will get that at any event), and Rock and Roll: I know you will agree there is nothing wrong with that. =)
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Guess that means you'd have no problem asking you to put it out or being told by security to put it out or leave the arena??

I have been and I did. But never have I had someone near me tell on me or tell me themselves to put it out because they decided a concert was a great place to take thier child.
    I'm done. Just know bringing your kid is directly effecting everyone around you, and it is probably a more considerate thing to get a lawn seat and find an area where you can enjoy the show with your child and not change the expeirence for everyone around you.

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    This place has become Nerdsville. :D
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    This place has become Nerdsville. :D

PEARL JAM 2008 TOUR/DAYCARE

• Options
    "yes, there is somewhere to remove them to- the hallway, your car, whatever. that's just being nit-picky- you know what I meant. if not "outside" than "away" how about that? and let's not confuse terms here. true Public places are places like parks. We are talking about places where people pay money to enjoy themselves sans crying. We are not asking parents to do anything drastic here- just take responsibility for your kid. It's amazing how opposed to taking responsibility for your kid people are."

Who is saying they don't have resposibility for their children? Has one person here said they would allow their child to scream it's head off in a public place? Come on. You are acting like they are replusive beings that need to be left in a closet.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i havent read anything here but all i know is if i choose to blaze at a show

i dont care who is around me
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i havent read anything here but all i know is if i choose to blaze at a show

i dont care who is around me

we should meet up, I'll bring the diggs.

• Options
    "
    Who is saying they don't have resposibility for their children? Has one person here said they would allow their child to scream it's head off in a public place? Come on. You are acting like they are replusive beings that need to be left in a closet.

dude, this is all I am saying! I'm saying, kid screams his head off in public place, parent should act. this is all I am trying to say. Honestly the original point was that there ARE parents who DON'T act. they sit, they let the kid do whatever the hell he wants. I'm not saying that's you or anyone else here. You just said "there are really people that do that?" and I and some others replied "yes there are." edvedder is trying to make it sound like I want children to be banished from the earth.
  • Options
    I can't wait to dance with my little one on the big lawn at the Gorge. I've seen lots of babies and kids of all ages up there. The music is not loud and people are mostly mellow in that area. I'd be taking my boy along for the family music experience. Sure it's not as good as my fan club seats but I've sat up close and I've been backstage. I'm content to hang out at the back with my husband and child to still hear our favorite music and not cause possible discomfort to those people that we would normally be sitting by. All of that said, I would not take my baby or small child to an indoor show until he is old enough. What is old enough? Everyone is different. I'm sure I'll know when the time is right. I don't find fault with anyone that chooses to bring their kids though. I do wish them luck and hope that everyone has a good time. Spread the PJ love I say.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    as long as the parent is willing to fully accept the responsibility of taking
    a child under 10 to a rock concert, i have no problem with it.

personally, i wouldn't want to worry about a small child in such a setting.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    dude, this is all I am saying! I'm saying, kid screams his head off in public place, parent should act. this is all I am trying to say. Honestly the original point was that there ARE parents who DON'T act. they sit, they let the kid do whatever the hell he wants. I'm not saying that's you or anyone else here. You just said "there are really people that do that?" and I and some others replied "yes there are." edvedder is trying to make it sound like I want children to be banished from the earth.

LOL it's coming off that way. I hear you and totally respect other people. I would never ever allow my child to scream and cry and disturb other people. he's well behaved but of course he is a child so if he were to cry I wouldn't duct tape his mouth shut or anything and beg forgiveness from those around me. I would take him away and calm him down etc.
    I have been to many many many shows and there have been kids there. I have never been distracted from the show. It's so loud in there, how could you even hear a kid? And yes, I would absolutely put special ear plugs on my child's head.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    Wow this got a lot of responses!!! People can and will do what they want with regards to bringing kids to shows- just remember the younger they are the less fun YOU will be having, and I don't know about you all but I LIKE having fun at the shows- I'm with my kids every single day!!! When the time is right they will be going along with us- believe me they have it in their blood!!!(concert going that is)

Chow :)
    “Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And it is something you give away.”
  • Options

that was only due to your phrasing that the parent should "profusely apologize" if their child cries. no apology is necessary for a child crying.

and not directed soley at you - there are many other responses on this post :D