Options

Neil and Tim Finn

Comments

• Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    OMG B! that is TOO cool! I am SO excited!! Neil is SO funny!! Even his notes are funny! I can't wait to hear the new album and see the man live again!! :D

btw, I listened to Try Whistling This...:eek: OMG! That album is SO prettiful!! Especially, Try Whistling This! It has been stuck in my head ALL day long!!
    haha yeah he's quite a character! i can't wait till there's more news about the release and tour dates!

that album is gorgeous, ain't it!? and try whistling this....wow - especially the last few lines, love it. sinner is another great track

now you've reminded me it's been a while since i've listened to that album, i'm gonna have to give it a spin now :)
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    haha yeah he's quite a character! i can't wait till there's more news about the release and tour dates!

that album is gorgeous, ain't it!? and try whistling this....wow - especially the last few lines, love it. sinner is another great track

now you've reminded me it's been a while since i've listened to that album, i'm gonna have to give it a spin now :)

SWEET B!! :D

Right now, I just finished listening to a San Francisco Finn Brothers' show (not our show, still looking for that boot :() and now listening to some of the The Finn Brothers songs that I have downloaded :) Man, I can't get enough of them!! :)

I am also getting my unborn daughter to become a PJ/Finn Brothers fan;)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    As chiquimonkey gave us Neil news, I have MORE Neil news courtsey of Billboard.com! :D

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003408035

FINN REGROUPS WITH CROWDED HOUSE BASSIST

by Gary Graff

Neil Finn has reunited with Crowded House bandmate Nick Seymour for his next solo album, which he plans to release next year.

Finn tells Billboard.com that bassist Seymour "has been with me the whole time" on the album, and that "working together again feels really good. It felt natural and right. We've been good company for each other." Finn says that Crowded House drummer Paul Hester's death in 2005 helped bring the two musicians together again.

"You do seek each other out," he says. "The day we heard what happened with Paul, we were about to play a show at Albert Hall, my brother [Tim] and I. We decided we had to continue. And I rang Nick; he was the one I wanted to have there. There's some kind of strong bond still, as you would expect, I suppose."

Finn says he's "just about done" with the album, which will be his first solo set of new material since "One Nil" in 2001 (he released the live "Seven Worlds Collide in 2002 and an album with his brother, "Everyone is Here," in 2004.) His wife and two sons appear on the set, which features strings on three tracks. It's being produced by Ethan Johns and recorded mostly at Finn's studio in Auckland and mixed at Peter Gabriel's Real World studios in England.

"It's a pretty emotional record, I think," says Finn, who recently moved to England full-time. "It's hard for me to evaluate, 'cause I'm so close to it now. But I think it's fairly simple, which I'm really happy about. There's a lot of heart in the record, which I'm happy about, too."

Finn plans to tour in support of the album and expects Seymour to be part of the band. As previously reported, the two will revisit their Crowded House past with the Jan. 16 release of "Farewell to the World," separate CD and DVD packages chronicling the band's Nov. 24, 1996 farewell concerts in Sydney.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    SWEET B!! :D

Right now, I just finished listening to a San Francisco Finn Brothers' show (not our show, still looking for that boot :() and now listening to some of the The Finn Brothers songs that I have downloaded :) Man, I can't get enough of them!! :)

I am also getting my unborn daughter to become a PJ/Finn Brothers fan;)
    oh awesome about the SF boot! i would *love* to get my paws on the show we went to. and yes, they're just the best. and good job on getting the wee one started on the finn path :) heehee

and THANK YOU for that billboard article.....new neil? with STRINGS? oh my. *thud* lol eeeeeeeeeeee can't wait, yay!
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    Wee-hee! I just got a package containing the Farewell to the World DVD, CD and Tim Finn's latest album :D Someone will get a huge X-Mas present this year. Now I only have to wait for about 8 hours until I can go home and pop it into the DVD player...
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    Sonja_S wrote:
    Wee-hee! I just got a package containing the Farewell to the World DVD, CD and Tim Finn's latest album :D Someone will get a huge X-Mas present this year. Now I only have to wait for about 8 hours until I can go home and pop it into the DVD player...

ooo lucky you! Let us know how Tim's album is!! :) Enjoy watching the Farewell to the World dvd at home :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    ooo lucky you! Let us know how Tim's album is!! :) Enjoy watching the Farewell to the World dvd at home :D

Thanks, I will definitely let you know. I had to postpone watching the DVD to tomorrow, but then at least I'll have the tissues ready :D
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    Sonja_S wrote:
    Thanks, I will definitely let you know. I had to postpone watching the DVD to tomorrow, but then at least I'll have the tissues ready :D

Sweet! :D

OMG! i've seen clips of that final show on YouTube. It is VERY moving. almost brought me to tears! DAMN YOU Neil for writing such lovely, prettiful songs :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    I watched the show on VHS years ago and let me tell you, if you watch the entire thing and not just clips, there is no 'almost' ;) I never cry at movies, but those things can really get me. When someone posted the youtube link to the Paul Hester tribute here, I was really glad to have my own office :o
  • Options
    ah that farewell dvd, that's on my xmas wishlist! i'm sure i'll bawl like a baby :o haha
  • Options
    Sonja_S wrote:
    I watched the show on VHS years ago and let me tell you, if you watch the entire thing and not just clips, there is no 'almost' ;) I never cry at movies, but those things can really get me. When someone posted the youtube link to the Paul Hester tribute here, I was really glad to have my own office :o

yep. I hear ya. The songs themselves are amazing!! I got to watch that whole thing through and MUST get it too! :D

and the Paul Hester tribute, as B said, it looked like Neil was about to cry. :( Very touching though. I always check out YouTube for anything 'new' w/Neil & Tim :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    I finally managed to listen to Tim Finn's new album. I hardly ever love an album after the first listen, but that's exactly what happened with this one. I got the version with the bonus DVD of the BJB-Sessions with old friends like 'How Will You Go', 'I Hope I Never' and 'Angels Heap' - which I didn't watch at work of course *cough* :D I have no idea why the text on the artwork of the CD is in German though :confused:
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    I saw them twice a long time ago over here in Holland. I have been playing their records for ages and some of their songs are really ageless.
    I still have a picture of me and the bassist from Crowded House somewhere. I was so young back than...haha, the good old days.
    Me and my sister walked with him to the hotel after the concert and he was a really sympathetic and relaxed guy. We talked a lot about photography and that he had the same camera as my sister.

Lovely memory...
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    theres a dutch band called Johann and they sound so much like crowded house
  • Options
    I saw them twice a long time ago over here in Holland. I have been playing their records for ages and some of their songs are really ageless.
    I still have a picture of me and the bassist from Crowded House somewhere. I was so young back than...haha, the good old days.
    Me and my sister walked with him to the hotel after the concert and he was a really sympathetic and relaxed guy. We talked a lot about photography and that he had the same camera as my sister.

Lovely memory...

that is an awesome story! :D

I just checked on Neil's website and they said the Crowded House dvd, "Farewell to the World" won't be released in US til Jan. so we just might have to wait a little longer :/
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    Yeah, and the pride of our nation too. Even though they're not ours i wish they were. Neil is brilliant beyond words.

sorry mate, australia has claimed the finn brothers.
  • Options
    just took a look at frenz.com:

7-12-06-If all goes well we are still looking at around March for the release of Neils new CD.

wooohooo, march isn't too far away! :D
  • Options
    http://www.fairfax-avenue.com/bootlegs.php?id=B11

recording of a show neil did in LA on 12/6 - quality isn't that great (especially hearing people yell out song requests lol), but even still...it's neil! couple new songs in the beginning. and listening to 'throw your arms around me' right now....divine.
  • Options
    releaseNYreleaseNY In my private universe Posts: 153
    thanks so much for posting the link!!!!

i've just listened to MTMG, my favoritesonginthewholewideworld, about 6 times.

:)
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    very interesting watching the farewell to the world DVD. i did see the concert back when it was originally broadcast but this was different now with Paul gone etc.

interesting to watch all the interviews and just see how no one really seemed confortable with it being over, except paul. mark and nick wanted to keep going pretty obviously.

didn't know about how/why tim joined and left so quickly either until now.
  • Options
    i have the DVD on preorder, it doesn't get released in the US till january 16th. i'm very excited and curious to see it though. i read an article the other day with neil talking about what it was like putting that dvd together, how emotional it was for him to watch it again now with paul gone....i'll have to find the link again and post here for you guys to read. the way that all went down was odd for sure
  • Options
  • Options
    They are awesome. Good to see that they are getting some recognition globally.
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I have loved the Finn Brothers since they broke here in Oz with "I See Red" and I have grown up with them and watched them mature like fine red wine. They are truly extraordinary artisans and I look forward to watching them continue to improve with age.:) Oh and I think, as much I would love to claim them as Aussies, thet New Zealand should be very proud to call them sons.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    i have the DVD on preorder, it doesn't get released in the US till january 16th. i'm very excited and curious to see it though. i read an article the other day with neil talking about what it was like putting that dvd together, how emotional it was for him to watch it again now with paul gone....i'll have to find the link again and post here for you guys to read. the way that all went down was odd for sure

I only managed to watch the bonus features up to now. There are a lot of old interviews with Paul Hester and there are new ones with Neil Finn and Nick Seymour too. Crowded House never were big in Austria, so I hadn't seen any of the interviews and press conferences before. I'm really curious if there's a boot from the 'soundcheck' the day before the gig though after watching that DVD.
  • Options
    http://www.fairfax-avenue.com/bootlegs.php?id=B11

recording of a show neil did in LA on 12/6 - quality isn't that great (especially hearing people yell out song requests lol), but even still...it's neil! couple new songs in the beginning. and listening to 'throw your arms around me' right now....divine.

ooo, i'll be downloading that show once I get DSL! :D Now, he should've stopped in San Francisco DAMNIT?! I know Neil and Tim said they LOVED playing here! :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    ooo, i'll be downloading that show once I get DSL! :D Now, he should've stopped in San Francisco DAMNIT?! I know Neil and Tim said they LOVED playing here! :)
    yeah he definitely should swing up here!

and xmas message from neil :)

18-12-06-Christmas Message from Neil:
    "A big happy xmas to all of you and thanks for the good will and best wishes I have been aware of during the making of this record.Lots of shows next year, a webcast soon, a special show for the Bath brigade, all these wishes for the new year.Most of all , good health to you and your families"-Neil

the bold part made me happy :D
  • Options
    yeah he definitely should swing up here!

and xmas message from neil :)

18-12-06-Christmas Message from Neil:
    "A big happy xmas to all of you and thanks for the good will and best wishes I have been aware of during the making of this record.Lots of shows next year, a webcast soon, a special show for the Bath brigade, all these wishes for the new year.Most of all , good health to you and your families"-Neil

the bold part made me happy :D

oooo, NEXT YEAR?! :eek: I can't wait to see Neil live again!! I mean, this time he will be solo, but WOW!!

oh thanks B for the Portland 99 boot! WOW! What an opener! Distant Sun?! One of my favorites!!:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    oooo, NEXT YEAR?! :eek: I can't wait to see Neil live again!! I mean, this time he will be solo, but WOW!!

oh thanks B for the Portland 99 boot! WOW! What an opener! Distant Sun?! One of my favorites!!:)
    yeah, i am SO psyched about some neil shows. that'll hold me over till PJ comes back around i know! :)

glad you enjoy the boot, i was listening to that on the way into work this morning. neil's voice sounds absolutely sublime
  • Options