Options

Neil and Tim Finn

MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
edited February 2007 in Other Music
These two are the most talented musicians I have ever seen live. They have such a legacy w/Split Endz and Crowded House. I know I heard Eddie say that b/c of Neil, he knew he wanted to be a songwriter. :)

The 7 World's Collide dvd/cd, truly shows their music catalogue, performing w/other musicians who admired them. I have not gotten their new album yet, but from what I have heard when they played some of their songs in San Francisco last summer, I really like.

I think these boys deserve their props!!! And Neil's son, Liam, is also one talented boy.:)
ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    obbleobble Posts: 49
    Here Here,
    The new album is brilliant, 7 world's collide is even better (Eddie Vedder singing covers is a highlight). The Finn Brothers are amazing and the pride of a nation.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: NZ Leg Chieftain & Member No.6-+--+

**Drop the Leash on my Garden Porch, Downunder 06'**
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    we saw them a couple of months ago, great show -
    very enthusiastic crowd, enjoyed it alot
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Those two are very funny on stage. When I saw them in San Francisco, they were talking about how everyone were related to each other on stage. The drummer and their bassist(I think), were brothers. :p They also talked about how they were watching "Old School" on the bus, and they thought Will Ferrell rocked! :D

I hope they tour again soon. I can't believe they came to San Francisco again, and I missed them. They sure put on a great show though, and I hope to see them soon.:)

My favorite Crowded House song would have to be "The World Where You Live"
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    They are probably the only New Zealander's to ever become known outside of Australasia and deffinately the only Kiwi's to ever break the American Market. Fully recommend seeing them to anyone.

• Options
    obble wrote:
    Here Here,
    ...The Finn Brothers are amazing and the pride of a nation.

Yeah, and the pride of our nation too. Even though they're not ours i wish they were. Neil is brilliant beyond words.
    "All i want is for you to make love to me...that's just in the song, i don't mean it" Eddie (14-7-93)
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    Those two are very funny on stage. When I saw them in San Francisco, they were talking about how everyone were related to each other on stage. The drummer and their bassist(I think), were brothers. :p They also talked about how they were watching "Old School" on the bus, and they thought Will Ferrell rocked! :D

I hope they tour again soon. I can't believe they came to San Francisco again, and I missed them. They sure put on a great show though, and I hope to see them soon.:)

My favorite Crowded House song would have to be "The World Where You Live"

I'll second the "the world Where you live" as beeing a damn good song."Four Seasons in One day" is my favorite.
    Bumping it up!
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    releaseNYreleaseNY In my private universe Posts: 153
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    I have not gotten their new album yet, but from what I have heard
    well, if you haven't gotten it yet, be sure to buy the new "special edition."

it's got 5 extra songs and 5 DVD "extras," including a performance of weather with you with paul hester from musicmax australia (from last year, i think).
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • Options
    This thread needs to be BUMPED up!! :D

at the San Francisco show last year, a guy next to me, was recording that show, I am wondering if that is out already. I was doing a lot of screaming, so i probably messed up his tape :o

You guys should really see the MTV Unplugged w/Crowded House and Tim Finn...they did a beautiful redition of "Throw Your Arms Around Me":)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    releaseNYreleaseNY In my private universe Posts: 153
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    I was doing a lot of screaming, so i probably messed up his tape
    how funny!!! i went to the 3 shows in london a few months ago, and on the third nite a kid next to me was taping. i told him i would try to limit my "wooooo"s so it wouldn't ruin his recording!!!!!

(he said he has great equipment to edit that stuff out.)

still waiting on that show...
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • Options
    BUMP for the FINN BROTHERS!!

:D:D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    ull never see singalongs for the finn bros like there was at waveaid... magical
  • Options
    I was fortunate enough to go to their very last show of a year long tour (Auckland 4th August). They were amazingly funny and did their normal show with an hour and a half encore. The crowd would just yell out a song and they would start playing. Tim Finn was manic, just rolling around on the floor, jumping on things, throwing instruments and dancing all over the show. Afterwards we jumped on stage and got to meet the guys as well as get setlists and guitar picks. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

• Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    Wow,the return of a thread I like:)
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    shell bell wrote:
    Wow,the return of a thread I like:)

You know it girl;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    AMEN AMEN AMEN! How have I not come here yet? What in the world?!?! :eek:

Anyways, these 2 men truely are gifted beyond belief. Such amazing music effortlessly flows outta them. :o Legendary talent right here. The music that they have created over the years is fuckin mind blowing and without a doubt classic and inspirational. 7 Worlds Collide is the greatest. :D I still haven't been exposed to much Spilt Endz but from what I have heard I really, really liked. I absolutely LOVE Crowded House. No matter how you slice em- completely stripped down... mixed with other legendary greats...solo...what the hell ever, the MIGHTY FINN BOYS RULE! :D

I agree Nadia, that show at the Warfield was beautiful. I'm really itching to see them again. Such magic and grace up there....but at the same time they aren't afraid to be total goofballs. :p You can tell they put so much passion, so much of their heart and souls into what they do...and then to sprinkle it all with some laughter?! :D *fuzzy happy times* When they were quoting Old School?? HA! Loved that! These guys have some great taste all around. ;) They really just have such a great attitude. Like their music, they are so real/genuine and down to earth. I love how much they constantly thank their fans at shows too. That always gets me. :o To see the artist up there with non-stop "thank yous" between songs. Hell yeah!

Ahhh FOUR SEASONS IN ONE DAY!?! *heart sinks* Love that one as well. Very sweet how Neil dedicated to Ed and his little one. :)

OH MAN~~~> Always take the weather with you?!?! :D:D:D That song makes me soooooo happy!

Neil defintiely has the power to stir up sooo many emotions with his gorgeous ass lyrics and perfectly fitting music. His music does compliment every single word, the feeling behind it just intensifies everything. Love it so much. Very much appreciate all the magic he shares. :)

Gonna post one of my favs......

~BETTER BE HOME SOON~

Somewhere deep inside
    Something’s got a hold on you
    And it’s pushing me aside
    See it stretch on forever

I know I’m right
    For the first time in my life
    That’s why I tell you
    You’d better be home soon

Stripping back the coats
    Of lies and deception
    Back to nothingness
    Like a week in the desert

I know I’m right
    That’s why I tell you

So don’t say no, don’t say nothing’s wrong
    Cos when you get back home maybe I’ll be gone

It would cause me pain
    If we were to end it
    But I could start again
    You can depend on it

I know I’m right
    That’s why I tell you
    That’s why I tell you
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    Right on Lydia!! I couldnn't agree w/you about the Finn Brothers. They are really amazing live!! :D I hope I get to see them again b/c they just kicked SO much ass when we saw them live last year!!

Fall At Your Feet is one of my FAVORITE songs by Crowded House...you can totally sense that emotion, and the way he sings, I almost tear up just listening to it. :(

Fall At Your Feet

I’m really close tonight
    And I feel like I’m moving inside her
    Lying in the dark
    And I think that I’m beginning to know her
    Let it go
    I’ll be there when you call

And whenever I fall at your feet
    You let your tears rain down on me
    Whenever I touch your slow turning pain

You’re hiding from me now
    There’s something in the way that you’re talking
    Words don’t sound right
    But I hear them all moving inside you, go
    I’ll be waiting when you call

Hey and whenever I fall at your feet
    Won’t you let your tears rain down on me
    Whenever I touch your slow turning pain

The finger of blame has turned upon itself
    And I’m more than willing to offer myself
    Do you want my presence or need my help
    Who knows where that might lead
    I fall

Whenever I fall at your feet
    Would you let your tears rain down on me
    Whenever I fall, ever I fall
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    This thread makes me want to watch the dvd over and over again. I hope they do something like that again in the near future.

The Finn brothers are just incredible musicians, they are very under-rated.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    love the finns they seem 2 be everywhere at the moment which is a good thing in this mindless pop soaked culture to have some relief with two excellent songwriters/singers/performers.
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • Options
    dreadhead wrote:
    love the finns they seem 2 be everywhere at the moment which is a good thing in this mindless pop soaked culture to have some relief with two excellent songwriters/singers/performers.

I agree. They are also quite the comedians on stage too! haha. I LOVE it at the San Francisco show last year, Neil said, "BLUE! You're MY BOY!" quoting Will Ferrell from Old School :p

I need the mp3 from the 7 World's collide of "Fall At Your Feet" that version is the BEST!!! Ed O' Brien's, Johnny marr's, and Lisa Germano's voices make the song EXTRA special :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    One of my favorite songs from Neil:

~Anytime~
    I see a dog upon the road
    Running hard to catch a cat
    My car is pulling to a halt
    The truck behind me doesn't know
    Everything is in the balance
    Of a moment I can't control
    And your sympathetic strings
    Are like the stirrings in my soul

I could go at anytime
    There's nothing safe about this life
    I could go at anytime

Find the meaning of the act
    Remember how it goes
    Every time you take the water
    And you swim against the flow
    The world is all around us
    The days are flying past
    And fear is so contagious

But I'm not afraid to laugh
    I could go at anytime
    I could go at anytime

Anytime (come without warning)
    Anytime (it could be so easy)
    A walk in the park (or maybe when I'm sleeping)
    Anytime (see the clouds come over)
    Rain or shine (I make you so unhappy)
    Lets make it right

I feel like I'm in love
    With a stranger I'll never know
    Although you're still a mystery
    I'm so glad I'm not alone

I could go at anytime
    Make it so easy to fly in the night
    I could go at anytime
    I could go at anytime
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    ah nadia, i love that song! and the lines, "I could go at anytime / There's nothing safe about this life" - so true, reminder to enjoy the time one has, and make the most of things.

finn brothers can't get enough kudos really....i can't wait for neil to put out a new album, he's a genius.

been on a major neil kick lately, listened to this tune earlier today, nice mellow crowded house tuneage for a sunday :)

Four seasons in one day
    Lying in the depths of your imagination
    Worlds above and worlds below
    The sun shines on the black clouds
    Hanging over the domain
    Even when you're feeling warm
    The temperature could drop away
    Like four seasons in one day

Smiling as the shit comes down
    You can tell a man from what he has to say
    Everything gets turned around
    And I will risk my neck again

You can take me where you will
    Up the creek and through the mill
    Like all the things you can't explain
    Four seasons in one day

Blood dries up
    Like rain, like rain
    Fills my cup

It doesn't pay to make predictions
    Sleeping on an unmade bed
    Finding out wherever there is comfort
    There is pain
    Only one step away
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Amen!
    Finn brothers!
    Have to love them. No ego, just brilliant music.
    Yet to see them live and boy I can't wait for Neil or Tim to come my way again.

Bought the best of Split Enz at a 2nd hand store about 3 months ago for $12 (US$7) and it's greatest. Simply stunning!
    Message to my Girl and Charlie are my favs.
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    pazman wrote:
    Amen!
    Finn brothers!
    Have to love them. No ego, just brilliant music.
    Yet to see them live and boy I can't wait for Neil or Tim to come my way again.

Bought the best of Split Enz at a 2nd hand store about 3 months ago for $12 (US$7) and it's greatest. Simply stunning!
    Message to my Girl and Charlie are my favs.

Yeah that is what i LOVE about these guys...no egos, and they are just themselves...so much music history between these brothers. i love their music and I think they are very talented!! :D

Awww, don't worry, you will see them soon enough, and if you do attend their show,you are in for a real treat!! They are SO freakin' HILARIOUS!! :o

B-I LOVE that song...remember at the Warfield show?! WOW!! so prettiful when they sang that song :D

<~~~listening to "A Life Between Us" from the Finn Brothers :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    BUMP for the Finn Brothers!! :D:D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    been soaking up some finn goodness all morning here at work, just had to give a shout-out for some love for 'em!! having neil serenade me all morning has been divine! :)
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    Has anyone else heard she will have her way? Its a compilation cd dedicated to tim and neil with aussie and n.z female singers/songwriters performing thier songs. Amazing.
  • Options
    been soaking up some finn goodness all morning here at work, just had to give a shout-out for some love for 'em!! having neil serenade me all morning has been divine! :)

yeah I have been listening to Neil all weekend long!! Got my man into them, he likes them!!:)

*sighs* I really need to pick up their latest album, I have only downloaded 2 songs and I totally LOVE It!!

btw, I have I Got You from the 7 Worlds Collide outtake..OMG, Eddie singing on it just rocks!!:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    yeah I have been listening to Neil all weekend long!! Got my man into them, he likes them!!:)

*sighs* I really need to pick up their latest album, I have only downloaded 2 songs and I totally LOVE It!!

btw, I have I Got You from the 7 Worlds Collide outtake..OMG, Eddie singing on it just rocks!!:)
    awesome! your man got good taste (already knew that since he's marrying ya! :D heehee) - and very cool on 'i got you' - i think i have that, somewhere haha i have an outtake of him and neil doing bowie's 'golden years' - WOW!

and VON, i've heard about that cd in passing, never got around to ordering a copy though - who is on it?
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    yeah it's amazing musicians like them that make me feel proud to be new zealander
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    Omarama wrote:
    yeah it's amazing musicians like them that make me feel proud to be new zealander

have you heard 'the datsuns', they r kiwies as well, played on 'exit' festival in serbia this summer, we loved them, prior to that, i've never heard of them