Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    LMAO! i'm here... buried under paper... :rolleyes: :(

oh, the dream is alive alright! i already told one of my coworkers just how drool-on-your-shoes gorgeous Billy Ray was... ;):o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    concert review from Madison, Wisonsin:

Isthmus / The Daily Page
    By Emily Denaro

When most hipsters were not even to their mothers' waists, The Tragically Hip were rapidly becoming one of Canada's most popular rock acts. Now, almost 20 years later, they tread -- but not lightly! -- on the Barrymore Theatre's stage on Tuesday night.

The music was everything one would expect -- a smattering of popular tunes ("Bobcaygeon," "Ahead by a Century," "New Orleans Is Sinking"), new fare ("World Container") and even a Beatles cover ("Come Together"). Solid electric guitar work from glossy-haired Rob Baker took care of stage-left, while moments of shaky background vocals from Paul Langlois lingered on stage-right. While this is truly a band to be heard, it was Gordon Downie's showmanship that stole all glances.

Why? Because Gordon Downie is fucking crazy. Aside from growling a good portion of his vocals, when he was not plucking the old acoustic, he was doing God-knows-what: writhing suggestively in his clingy, wet button-down; shaking his ass and twirling around; getting attacked by the microphone-snake and doing all sorts of other pantomiming that would have Jerry Fallwell rolling in his grave.

Between songs, Downie spewed rhetoric like an emotionally unstable drill sergeant. "Am I lovesick? Do I look lovesick?" he begged before "Love(sic)." Men looked at each another in confusion, while ladies searched their purses for remedies. The only thing to possibly distract the crowd from Downie's commanding presence was Gord Sinclair's Blue Steel.

Even with Downie's contorted face and crazed, persistent yelps of "Work!" during "My Music At Work," fans still chanted "Hip! Hip! Hip!" for more of that psycho swagger. While exiting the Barrymore, positive feedback made its way past swollen eardrums -- the crowd was wowed. Hooray!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Barrymore Theatre, Madison, WI:

Ocean
    Fully
    Puttin
    Dire Wolf
    Luv(sic)
    Bobcaygeon
    Courage
    Family Band
    World
    ABAC
    Spring
    Meridian
    Rules
    Rink
    Music
    Grace
    In View
    Come Together
    New O
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    direwolf74 wrote:

Ocean
    Fully
    Puttin
    Dire Wolf
    Luv(sic)
    Bobcaygeon
    Courage
    Family Band
    World
    ABAC
    Spring
    Meridian
    Rules
    Rink
    Music
    Grace
    In View
    Come Together
    New O

cool to see puttin down in there, so they ever play stay live? i havent seen it before but would love to. dire wolf and the rules are pretty cool to see too!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

Dire Wolf

:eek: that would have been awesome! :D
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    argh
    Just me
  • Options
    Setlist- House of Blues, Cleveland, OH 05/16/07:

Ocean
    Fully
    In View
    Good Life
    Kids
    Bobcaygeon
    Courage
    Family Band
    Wheat
    Pretend
    Springtime
    Scared
    Rink
    Music
    Grace
    Planet
    Shape I'm In (The Band)
    New O.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Warner Theatre, Erie, PA 05/18/07:

Ocean
    Twist
    In View
    Fever
    Drop Off
    ABAC
    Poets
    Kids
    Dire Wolf
    World C.
    Inevitability
    NOIS
    Long Time
    Fireworks
    Family Band
    Blow
    Rink
    Street Fighting Man
    Bones

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

Just putting this thread back on page 1 where it belongs.

That is all.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Recher Theatre, Towson, Maryland 05/19/07:

Ocean
    Grace
    In View
    Boots
    Last Night
    ABAC
    Courage
    Family Band
    Daddy
    World
    Spring
    Meridian
    BobC
    Kids
    Music
    NOIS
    Rink
    Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (James Brown)
    Fire

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *cough* page 4? i think not.... :p

geez, you'd think all the canadians were on holidays yesterday... ;)
  • Options
    *cough* page 4? i think not.... :p

geez, you'd think all the canadians were on holidays yesterday... ;)

Not me, I had to work. I hate holidays.

So, anybody going to the Seattle show on July 11th? I'm going with my sister and a couple of friends. The Hip in the summer in a beautiful outdoor venue...July can't come fast enough!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Not me, I had to work. I hate holidays.

So, anybody going to the Seattle show on July 11th? I'm going with my sister and a couple of friends. The Hip in the summer in a beautiful outdoor venue...July can't come fast enough!

wow! good for you! that sounds like so much fun..... (edit! regarding Seattle... not work!)

i'm kicking myself for not getting tix to Bala though... (although i just checked, and it's on a weekday... :()

i'm thinking east coast in the fall... :cool: :D
  • Options
    wow! good for you! that sounds like so much fun..... (edit! regarding Seattle... not work!)

i'm kicking myself for not getting tix to Bala though... (although i just checked, and it's on a weekday... :()

i'm thinking east coast in the fall... :cool: :D

the hip, eh?...

east coast, eh?....

beers and a show? :D:)
  • Options
    *bump*

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    bump! for a new song of the day... finally! :rolleyes:

why don't you love me like you used to??

:)
  • Options
    bump! for a new song of the day... finally! :rolleyes:

why don't you love me like you used to??

:)

7 months later and it's still my favorite song on the album.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Gotta love Youtube!

50 Mission Cap- Another Roadside Attraction '93. Gord with hair and a full beard:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTnwoRpA0hk

It's Just as Well (unreleased song)- Halifax, 1990:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ikhme_SSKgI

Crack My Spine Like a Whip (unreleased)- Halifax, 1990:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=g5FresZ-ywI

Fully Completely- Horseshoe Tavern, Toronto 2006:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7kZdzn6-g

Inevitability of Death- Toronto, 2002:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PqsSvhuXpoU

Pretend- London, England, 2006:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3PcK6OhF-Dw

The Lonely End of the Rink- Atlanta, 2007 (best part about this one is the guy at the very end of the song screaming like a little school girl. Hilarious!)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5LVY5lx8QU

Flamenco- Music Without Borders, Toronto, 2001:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=W9M-5OVSvDY

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lukin420lukin420 Posts: 80
    Bump Page 4 Wow

Just Heard Fire In The Hole On The Radio For The First Time Ever

It Took Me 7 Hip Shows To Hear This Tune Then I Finally Heard It At My Last 3 Shows Oshawa/hammer/toronto 07
    Man It Fuckin Rocked
    Just Thought I'd Share
  • Options
    lukin420 wrote:
    Bump Page 4 Wow

Just Heard Fire In The Hole On The Radio For The First Time Ever

It Took Me 7 Hip Shows To Hear This Tune Then I Finally Heard It At My Last 3 Shows Oshawa/hammer/toronto 07
    Man It Fuckin Rocked
    Just Thought I'd Share

yyyyeessss!!

Fire In The Hole does fuckin rock!! Love it... in fact, i'm gonna listen to it right now.... i could use a little extra energy early on a wednesday morning... :D

Seiously... HOW did this song not make onto Yer Favorites?? It's MY favorite!! :p
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yyyyeessss!!

Fire In The Hole does fuckin rock!! Love it... in fact, i'm gonna listen to it right now.... i could use a little extra energy early on a wednesday morning... :D

Seiously... HOW did this song not make onto Yer Favorites?? It's MY favorite!! :p

They forgot Greasy Jungle as well... one of my favourite hip songs of all time.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    Hey Guys!
    I started a thread over on the Art Wall for you guys... go check it out! :p

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=4476071#post4476071
  • Options
    Hey Guys!
    I started a thread over on the Art Wall for you guys... go check it out! :p

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=4476071#post4476071

all hip fans, and all others...check this out!!!

beautiful work, ceg! awesome! :)
  • Options
    all hip fans, and all others...check this out!!!

beautiful work, ceg! awesome! :)

hahaha... thanks again mookie....

this time, i'll have to hire you as my publicist, instead of the other way around! ;):p
  • Options
    looks like there was a new show recently added in Charlottetown!

Date: Monday September 10th
    Doors Open 7 PM / Show Starts 8 PM

Venue: Charlottetown Civic Centre

On Sales: Gold Circle Thursday May 31st at Noon
    Regular On Sale Saturday June 2nd at 10 AM
  • Options
    *bump*

Page 5? I won't stand for it!

So am I the only one here going to Seattle for the July 11th show? One more month to go!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

Just rescuing the thread from page 6.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    My Seattle tickets arrived today! Woohooooo!!!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

That is all.

-Tom Waits