Direwolf
    Fiddler's green
    Everytime you go

(I can dream!)

good luck & enjoy!!! :)
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I'd easily put them up there with Pearl Jam and U2 for best live show I've ever seen.

What he said!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Locked! How was the show, dude? Ya gotta give us a review!

Here's an article from the Burlington Free Press. Enjoy!

Tragically Hip returns for two sold-out shows

Published: Monday, April 16, 2007
    By Brent Hallenbeck
    Free Press Staff Writer

Why is it, Gord Sinclair, that The Tragically Hip is so popular around these parts?

“It’s a credit to the good taste of the people of Burlington,” according to the band’s bass player. That was his half-joking response. His serious answer attributes the Canadian rock band’s tendency to play sold-out shows in Vermont — as it’s doing tonight and Tuesday at Higher Ground — to a mix of geography and adventurousness.

The geography relates to the band’s roots in Kingston, Ontario, which, Sinclair pointed out, is about 20 kilometers (that’s a little more than a dozen miles to us metrically challenged Americans) from Watertown, N.Y., placing The Tragically Hip’s home base closer to a host of U.S. burgs than to Canadian cities such as Vancouver. When the band’s vocalist, Gordon Downie, sings about intrigue on the ice on “The Lonely End of the Rink” from the new Hip album “World Container,” fans in hockey-absorbed communities like Burlington just nod at their neighbors to the north and say, “I hear ya.”

Sinclair, speaking recently by phone during a tour stop in Seattle, also suspects the Vermont way of thinking has something to do with his band being a consistently big draw here. “Generally speaking, people in your neck of the woods are more open-minded to things that are not from America,” he said, noting that local fans also seem more accepting of music that’s not spoon-fed to them by radio. “We’ve never had the benefit of a stateside single. With a group like ours, all you have to do is get us in front of people.”

That live show Sinclair referred to is The Tragically Hip’s trademark. Downie’s dervish-like persona and the band’s musical intensity in a live setting are legendary, even if they haven’t always transferred that power into the studio.

They come close with “World Container,” the 12th Tragically Hip album. The band leaned on producer Bob Rock, known for his work with hard rockers Metallica and Motley Crue and not so much with anthemic pop-rockers like The Tragically Hip.

“What he brought to us was a real focus on each individual song,” according to Sinclair. Rock helped refine the arrangement of “The Lonely End of the Rink,” Sinclair said, turning the track into a Who/U2/Midnight Oil-styled rampage that’s one of the disc’s highlights. His contributions weren’t all about frenzied moments, though; Sinclair said Rock also steered the band toward an elegant piano texture on the track “Pretend.”

“He just has a really focused ear,” Sinclair said. “He became the ersatz sixth member of the group.”

Speaking of The Who, an obvious influence on the band, The Tragically Hip recently played several opening dates for the legendary British rockers. The Tragically Hip has been around more than 20 years and the band members are in their 40s, but they still feel a rush of teenage hero worship around Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend.

“It’s impossible to divorce yourself from when you’re 15 years old,” Sinclair said. “We grew up with that group.

“Opportunities like that make you a better band. You have to get up and you have to entertain these rabid Who fans,” according to Sinclair. “In terms of a dream come true, that’s right up there.”

The Tragically Hip might be aiming toward a little of their own Who-like longevity. It’s already rare for a band to have the same five members it started out with more than two decades earlier. Sinclair said there are moments when they get together after time away and find themselves saying, “How can we do this again?” Yet they always manage.

“We’ve grown up together, put the band together as young men doing this. It’s based around our friendship and the bond we have as a group. It’s a collective experience, a shared experience,” Sinclair said.

“It is a lifelong bond.”

Contact Brent Hallenbeck at 660-1844 or bhallenb@bfp.burlingtonfreepress.com
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Avalon, Boston, 04/20/07:

In View
    My Music At Work
    Grace, Too
    It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    Family Band
    Ahead By A Century
    Yer Not The Ocean
    Courage
    Bobcaygeon
    World Container
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    Boots Or Hearts
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Springtime In Vienna
    Scared
    The Lonely End Of The Rink
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
    Is This Love (Bob Marley & The Wailers)
    Blow At High Dough

Escape AND Scared?? Locked, you're a lucky bastard!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I just recently started listening to World Container, the impetus being I was at the first Detroit show last week. Besides the great songs In View, Yer Not The Ocean, and Lonely End Of The Rink, The Drop Off is a fricken phenomenal Hip song. So unlike any other Hip song to compare it to. It was great live, and really left an impression on me
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Escape AND Scared?? Locked, you're a lucky bastard!

what he said! :p:D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    lezcufflezcuff Posts: 46
    all I can say about that is YES, B'Y

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    [

Escape AND Scared?? Locked, you're a lucky bastard![/quote]

Just have a couple of minutes to put my thoughts down..
    pre-show met Paul Langlois by the tour bus, said its tough to remeber venues but he will never forget Bill's Bar (right next to avalon)..
    I alos put in a request for "fiddlers green" and he said he'd be sure to mention it to Gord S. (no such luck)

Then out walks Robby Baker with his body guard, walked over to an awesome "hole in the wall" mexican taco place two doors down..
    So I need to eat too, right?
    Its me , Robby and his body guard in this tiney little take -out section..
    talked to him for over 30 minutes (they make the taco from scratch, amazing)
    he told me:
    1) Robby picks all the cover tunes, no repeats..
    2) They will be coming back to Boston in the fall to play the Orpheum

Quick Review:
    Band / Gord as tight as I have ever seen them.
    someone had two external mike's on stands by the SBD so i know there is a bootleg to come..

In View (great)
    My Music At Work (perfect)
    Grace, Too (gordie's intro hilarious.. "i'm signing up, I'm going to help fight the war,...NO I'M NOT!)
    It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken(perfect, but i miss the light show they used to have..)
    Family Band
    Ahead By A Century (new extended electric guitar solo by Paul!)
    Yer Not The Ocean (love this song)
    Courage (more great Gordie Rants.. first time I've ever seen him give the entire "There's no simple explanantion" part to the crowd.."
    Bobcaygeon (perfect)
    World Container
    At The Hundredth Meridian (Holy god, no mid-song rant, just Gordie wrapping the microphone cord around him, attached "execution style" to the mike stand .. blindfolded.. this visual was th entire mid-set.. ran a little too long IMO)
    Boots Or Hearts (first live performance I have ever thought worked without sounding hokey, really great)
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Springtime In Vienna
    Scared (perfect)
    The Lonely End Of The Rink
    New Orleans Is Sinking (short version)
    Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man (you gonna say I'm crazy but I HATE THIS SONG.. its like easy listening music)
    Is This Love (Bob Marley & The Wailers) it just didn't sound right with a white canadian guy singing it..(just my opnion)
    Blow At High Dough (exhaustingly good with Gord at the top of the stage stairs ending the song "same tragically Hip thing" I still miss the light show from 2004 though..

Over all I give the show a B/ B+..
    the setlist really brought the grade down , almost identical to the previous show, and no real "gems".. I was worried this woukld happen with all the epic setlists you Canadians got (really some of the best setlists of ANY tour)..
    The band's light show was vitrually non-existant but that may be the limitations of Avalon..
    On the postive side.. this was one of the most animated Gord D. perofmances i have seen in some time.. and his voice was in fine shape.. not as "growly" as he can get after too many shows..

PS:
    If it weren't for you canadian's , the crowd would have been very lame..
    THANK YOU for kicking it up a notch..

The tour merchadise was really lame, most had designs on the front, none on the back and only one shirt had 2007 tour dates..
    I LOVED the skull t-shirt but you could hardly tell it was a Hip t-shirt unless you looked at the words on the sleeve..
    again, nothing on the back..
    Look, the band can HAVE my money, no problem, just design some shirts that show:
    1) it's a tragically hip shirt on the back
    2) its the 2007 tour (dates man! dates!)

Hoping for better at the Orpheum in the fall..

locked out!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" live in Cleveland. Enjoy!

http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/downloads/tth2007-04-14-Cleveland-EdmundFitzgerald.mp3

i was siked to listen to this..
    but does anyone else think Gord sounds horrible?
    misses alot of lyrics too..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Thanks for the review!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    From thehip.com:

Show announcement:

July 11
    Seattle, Wa
    Marrymoor Park
    All Ages

Tickets: $37.50 General Admission
    On-Sale: April 28 @ 09:00am PDT
    Tickets available: At all ticketmaster locations, http://www.ticketmaster.com , or charge by phone (206) 628-0888

I'm thinkin' I might have to go to this one. Road trip!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Cool interview with Gord Downie from the New York Press:

http://www.nypress.com/20/16/music/Music3.cfm

I love this part:

As for the recent popularity of Canadian bands such as Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene, Downie understands the appeal. “Those bands are exuding exuberance and enthusiasm,” he says. “People want authentic, organic music these days. As the old model of the music industry shrinks daily, there’s so much more room to make it up. And given the opportunity to make it up, what do you do? You speak from the heart. Kids want to hear the sound of guitars going through amps. They’re sick to death of being virtualized.”

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    can anyone confirm that the toledo show is cancelled? why did that happen? i was so stoked...
  • Options
    can anyone confirm that the toledo show is cancelled? why did that happen? i was so stoked...

There's no info on the Hip's site regarding the cancellation, but it does say that they've added a new show in Cleveland on May 16th...if that helps.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    There's no info on the Hip's site regarding the cancellation, but it does say that they've added a new show in Cleveland on May 16th...if that helps.

it doesnt help me much ;) but i guess ill live. i think im finally going to check out this world container album. i havent been really impressed by a hip album since phantom power, or maybe music at work. but this one's getting some pretty positive press.
  • Options

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Chameleon Club, Lancaster, PA, 04/22/07:

Ocean
    NO
    Grace
    Good Life
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Twist
    World
    Wheat Kings
    100th
    Springtime
    Luv sic
    Bob C
    Rink
    Blow
    Fully
    Last Time (Rolling Stones)
    Verge

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    A little heads up for fans in the Philly area ...

Tragically Hip is doing an XPN free live at noon at World Cafe Live on friday. Make sure to read about the parking restrictions on friday because of the Penn Relays.

Register here to attend:

http://www.publicradiomail.org/wxpn/events/fan_20070427/details.tcl

If you've ever gone to one of these shows, you know how intimate this is. For those who can't go, it will be aired live here:

http://www.xpn.org/concerts_events/freeatnoon.php

Enjoy!
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    it doesnt help me much ;) but i guess ill live. i think im finally going to check out this world container album. i havent been really impressed by a hip album since phantom power, or maybe music at work. but this one's getting some pretty positive press.

I think you'll like it. Personally I think it's their most impressive album since Phantom Power. If you're worried about the Bob Rock thing, have no fear. The album sounds great, the guitars have teeth, and I think Bob captured the rhythm section (particularly Johnny's drums) better than any other producer they've worked with. It's a big, loud, concise rock album with great melodies, killer hooks, and of course the always brilliant lyricism of Mr. Downie. Gord sings his ass off on this record, and I think it might be his best vocal performance ever in the studio. The title track is definitely a bit over-produced, but that's a minor complaint. This album has breathed new life into a band who was kind of spinning their wheels for a while there. I still think they're the best rock band on the planet and I hope they still have many more albums in them.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I think you'll like it. Personally I think it's their most impressive album since Phantom Power. If you're worried about the Bob Rock thing, have no fear. The album sounds great, the guitars have teeth, and I think Bob captured the rhythm section (particularly Johnny's drums) better than any other producer they've worked with. It's a big, loud, concise rock album with great melodies, killer hooks, and of course the always brilliant lyricism of Mr. Downie. Gord sings his ass off on this record, and I think it might be his best vocal performance ever in the studio. The title track is definitely a bit over-produced, but that's a minor complaint. This album has breathed new life into a band who was kind of spinning their wheels for a while there. I still think they're the best rock band on the planet and I hope they still have many more albums in them.

that's what i hear. i dont know who bob rock is, but i hear he finally got the hip to release an album that captures the energy they give off live. their studio albums tend to sound so stifled and samey.
  • Options

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    bump to page one..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    More setlists!

Irving Plaza, New York, NY, 04/24/07:

Ocean
    New O
    Fully
    Drop Off
    Gus
    BobC
    Poets
    Family Band
    Wheat
    Pretend
    Meridian
    Long Time
    Kids
    Springtime
    Kids
    ABAC
    View
    Blow
    Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros)
    Rink
    Fire

Irving Plaza, New York, NY, 04/25/07:

In View
    Music
    Grace
    Good Life
    ABAC
    Family Band
    Ocean
    Courage
    Bobcaygeon
    World Container
    100th
    Boots
    Luv (sic)
    Scared
    Rink
    NOIS
    Escape
    Magnificent Seven (The Clash)
    Fireworks

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

Page 4?? I think not.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Listen to yesterday's free live at noon concert here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9832887
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    Listen to yesterday's free live at noon concert here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9832887

Very cool! Thanks!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- House of Blues, Atlantic City, NJ, 04/27/07:

Ocean
    Music
    View
    Pigeon
    NOIS
    Pretend
    Grace
    Wheat
    ABAC
    Fireworks
    Family Band
    Springtime
    Scared
    Bones
    Kids
    Rink
    Daredevil
    Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen)
    Verge

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    tobbactobbac Posts: 234
    wow i dont know what id do at a hip show nowadays....they dont play any of the things they used to....
    You ain't-never seen no one like me
    Prevail-regardless what the cost might be
    Power-flows inside of me, you can't bring me
    Never-fall as long as I try
    Refuse-to be a part of your lie
    Even-if it means I die, you can't bring me
    You...can't...bring...me...down!
  • Options
    they dont play any of the things they used to....

I disagree. The Atlantic City setlist had New Orleans is Sinking, Little Bones, On the Verge, Pigeon Camera, Wheat Kings, Scared, and Grace, Too. Ya can't really dig too much farther back in the catalogue than that. Those songs are as old as dirt. You have to remember that these guys have 11 albums worth of material to draw from, and as with any band that's been around for 20 years, the newer material is probably a lot more fun to play.

-Tom Waits