Thugs
    Kids
    Courage
    Fiddlers
    View
    Summer
    Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)
    Family Band
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    their new album is really fucking good.
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I disagree. The Atlantic City setlist had New Orleans is Sinking, Little Bones, On the Verge, Pigeon Camera, Wheat Kings, Scared, and Grace, Too. Ya can't really dig too much farther back in the catalogue than that. Those songs are as old as dirt. You have to remember that these guys have 11 albums worth of material to draw from, and as with any band that's been around for 20 years, the newer material is probably a lot more fun to play.

as always, on the nose, direwolf.

it would be nice to hear "evelyn" one of these days though...;)
  • Options
    tobbactobbac Posts: 234
    im just saying i havent listened to them for years....last i saw them was molson park back in the day...so im accustomed to those sets from way back....i wouldnt know many songs basically...
    You ain't-never seen no one like me
    Prevail-regardless what the cost might be
    Power-flows inside of me, you can't bring me
    Never-fall as long as I try
    Refuse-to be a part of your lie
    Even-if it means I die, you can't bring me
    You...can't...bring...me...down!
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I would rank them this way, omitting their first or their latest - which I have not purchased

1. Day for Night
    2. Fully Completley
    3. Trouble at the Henhouse
    4. Phantom Power
    5. Road Apples
    6. Music at work
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    My ranking (and this is tough, because I love 'em all):

1. Day for Night
    2. Phantom Power
    3. World Container
    4. Trouble at the Henhouse
    5. Road Apples
    6. In Between Evolution
    7. In Violet Light
    8. Fully Completely
    9. Music@Work
    10. Up to Here
    11. The Tragically Hip

*note*
    Fully Completely would be ranked much higher if it weren't for producer Chris Tsangerides' lousy production. I know I've said this before, but Johnny's drums have that plastic-spork-hitting-mashed-potatoes sound that I absolutely despise. The songs (and Johnny) deserved so much more, and I wonder how much better it would've sounded if somebody like Brendan O'Brien or Adam Kasper had produced it. Even the band members themselves admit that it was their worst experience in the studio, which is too bad because in terms of songwriting, Fully is a perfect album. All 12 songs are incredible, and it's always a treat to hear them played live...the way they're SUPPOSED to sound.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    yes it definately sounds better live....i was in shock when i saw it at 8....
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    My ranking (and this is tough, because I love 'em all):

1. Day for Night
    2. Phantom Power
    3. World Container
    5. Road Apples
    6. In Between Evolution
    7. In Violet Light
    8. Fully Completely
    9. Up to Here
    10. The Tragically Hip

*note*
    Fully Completely would be ranked much higher if it weren't for producer Chris Tsangerides' lousy production. I know I've said this before, but Johnny's drums have that plastic-spork-hitting-mashed-potatoes sound that I absolutely despise. The songs (and Johnny) deserved so much more, and I wonder how much better it would've sounded if somebody like Brendan O'Brien or Adam Kasper had produced it. Even the band members themselves admit that it was their worst experience in the studio, which is too bad because in terms of songwriting, Fully is a perfect album. All 12 songs are incredible, and it's always a treat to hear them played live...the way they're SUPPOSED to sound.

your first 3 are the same as mine, only i might swap phantom power and day for night. i honestly just have 'yer favorites' to cover the rest... im missing a few great songs, but i think yer favorites did a damn good job of hitting all the essentials and i can never name offhand the songs i am missing that i REALLY loved...

also, the reasons you listed for not liking fully completely the album is why i never rank ten highly on my pj list. i cant stand the sound of that album anymore... the reverb is so annoying.
  • Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    1. Day for Night
    2. In Between Evolution
    3. Music@Work
    5. In Violet Light
    6. Phantom Power
    7. World Container
    8. Fully Completely
    9. Road Apples
    10. Up to Here
    11. The Tragically Hip

This is a hard list to make. I think this is about right. I just modified Direwolf's list to suit myself. Haha.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    killerwhaletank :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    lukin420lukin420 Posts: 80
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- Theatre of Living Arts, Philadelphia, PA, 04/28/07:

Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)

GREAT COVER
  • Options
    Zanne, check your PM's! :p
  • Options
    killerwhaletank :p

lol...i just had a flashback of gordie and his mic stand....i oughta think about checking out some hip shows again....
  • Options
    Setlist- 9:30 Club, Washington, D.C. 04/29/07:

View
    Music
    Grace
    Gus
    Drop Off
    ABAC
    Ocean
    Twist
    World
    Wheat
    NOIS
    Good Life
    Kids
    Springtime
    Bob C.
    Blow
    Young Americans (David Bowie)
    Family Band

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Chicago is gonna RAWK!
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Chicago is gonna RAWK!

i want to go SOOOO bad. but my gf is bringing her sister and friends into town that weekend and im supposed to play tour guide :(

i love world container too...
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    i feel like such an asshole for missing them 2 nights in nyc, i hope they come back next year to nyc
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    bumping this to page one...

also, its time we got some Official boots from this tour.. yes??
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    this setlist is "killing me"..
    god-damn man...!

: Yer Not The Ocean
    2: New Orleans Is Sinking
    3: Fully Completely
    4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    5: The Lonely End Of The Rink
    6: Ahead By A Century
    7: Gift Shop
    8: Putting Down
    9: Long Time Running
    10: Pretend
    11: At The Hundredth Meridian
    12: Thugs
    13: The Kids Don't Get It
    14: Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
    15: Fiddler's Green
    16: In View
    17: Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
    18: Summer's Killing Us
    19: Dead Flowers
    20: Family Band
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Hey gang! Here's a short review of the Hip's recent show in the Cayman Islands on May 1st, taken from the Cayman Net News:

The eagerly anticipated Tragically Hip concert took place on Tuesday, 1 May in front of a huge crowd at Safehaven. The veteran Canadian rockers were in great form on the night and needed to be following two fantastic performances by opening acts Suckerbox and Smooth Bill Annie.

Thumping out many of their best-known tunes, the Hip played their first ever gig in Cayman to an appreciative audience, who sang along to every word.

The concert, held to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Big Daddy’s Liquor Stores, was a great success, with everyone present clearly enjoying the show.

The evening kicked off with local band Suckerbox, who took the opportunity to play on a grand stage and ran with it. Their pop-punk offerings sounded better than ever, blasting out into the Cayman night and the additional space offered by the huge stage was more than filled by the band’s energy and antics.

Both the crowd and the band seemed to love every moment of the set, which set the standard for the rest of the evening’s entertainment.

Next up were another Cayman-based band, Smooth Bill Annie, who picked things up where Suckerbox left off and really rose to the challenge of playing on a big stage.

They kept the audience captivated with a set of original material, familiar to many on the Island. Songs like Blue Mountain Morning, regularly played on CayRock and now available on the band’s latest CD, sounded great at the Safehaven open air gig.

The locally-formed band, normally found playing bars and clubs on Island, proved they can deliver the goods on a big stage, making that transition seamlessly both in terms of sound and performance.

Both Cayman-based bands looked completely at home on the custom built stage and totally justified their selection in the line up for the biggest rock gig Cayman has seen in quite some time.

“That was a lot of fun,” said Smooth Bill Annie’s percussionist Eden Hurlston afterwards, summing up the sentiments of all the local musicians.

With a multitude of maple leaf flags held high above the crowd, the headline act stepped into the spotlight and delivered a set that had everyone jumping, Canadians and non-Canadians alike.

Lead singer Gordon Downie has a voice as unique as his onstage persona and is backed by a very tight group of accomplished musicians delivering a totally individual sound. Formed in 1983 in Kingston, Ontario, the Tragically Hip have ten successful albums under their belt and, understandably after 24 years together, they really know how to put on a live show.

Having proved that Cayman is capable of putting on a concert of this scope and size, it is hoped other international acts will follow suit and come to perform on the Island.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey gang! Here's a short review of the Hip's recent show in the Cayman Islands on May 1st, taken from the Cayman Net News:

The eagerly anticipated Tragically Hip concert took place on Tuesday, 1 May in front of a huge crowd at Safehaven. The veteran Canadian rockers were in great form on the night and needed to be following two fantastic performances by opening acts Suckerbox and Smooth Bill Annie.

Thumping out many of their best-known tunes, the Hip played their first ever gig in Cayman to an appreciative audience, who sang along to every word.

The concert, held to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Big Daddy’s Liquor Stores, was a great success, with everyone present clearly enjoying the show.

The evening kicked off with local band Suckerbox, who took the opportunity to play on a grand stage and ran with it. Their pop-punk offerings sounded better than ever, blasting out into the Cayman night and the additional space offered by the huge stage was more than filled by the band’s energy and antics.

Both the crowd and the band seemed to love every moment of the set, which set the standard for the rest of the evening’s entertainment.

Next up were another Cayman-based band, Smooth Bill Annie, who picked things up where Suckerbox left off and really rose to the challenge of playing on a big stage.

They kept the audience captivated with a set of original material, familiar to many on the Island. Songs like Blue Mountain Morning, regularly played on CayRock and now available on the band’s latest CD, sounded great at the Safehaven open air gig.

The locally-formed band, normally found playing bars and clubs on Island, proved they can deliver the goods on a big stage, making that transition seamlessly both in terms of sound and performance.

Both Cayman-based bands looked completely at home on the custom built stage and totally justified their selection in the line up for the biggest rock gig Cayman has seen in quite some time.

“That was a lot of fun,” said Smooth Bill Annie’s percussionist Eden Hurlston afterwards, summing up the sentiments of all the local musicians.

With a multitude of maple leaf flags held high above the crowd, the headline act stepped into the spotlight and delivered a set that had everyone jumping, Canadians and non-Canadians alike.

Lead singer Gordon Downie has a voice as unique as his onstage persona and is backed by a very tight group of accomplished musicians delivering a totally individual sound. Formed in 1983 in Kingston, Ontario, the Tragically Hip have ten successful albums under their belt and, understandably after 24 years together, they really know how to put on a live show.

Having proved that Cayman is capable of putting on a concert of this scope and size, it is hoped other international acts will follow suit and come to perform on the Island.

the caymans...very cool. :)

thanks for posting, direwolf.
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    bumping this to page one...

also, its time we got some Official boots from this tour.. yes??
    2 questions for hip fans. how much do hip boots cost and #2 are they gonna be on actually cds or downloads like pj boots

• Options
    2 questions for hip fans. how much do hip boots cost and #2 are they gonna be on actually cds or downloads like pj boots

Unfortunately they don't have any official boots from the '07 tour yet, but you can still download three shows from the '04 tour here for about $10 each, complete with artwork:

http://www.livedownloads.com/stash.asp?view=shows&artist=23

And if you're looking for fan recordings, you can download all kinds of them here:

http://www.hipfans.com

All you have to do is register.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Unfortunately they don't have any official boots from the '07 tour yet, but you can still download three shows from the '04 tour here for about $10 each, complete with artwork:

http://www.livedownloads.com/stash.asp?view=shows&artist=23

And if you're looking for fan recordings, you can download all kinds of them here:

http://www.hipfans.com

All you have to do is register.
    cool thanks for both links

• Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Chicago is gonna RAWK!

3 more sleeps!! I'm so excited to get there!! :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899

hehe =)

I was just thinkin' about you. See ya early Friday! CK messages, too.
    Just me
  • Options
    jamainiacjamainiac Posts: 429
    their new album is really fucking good.

I knew if I kept a positive outlook and held out long enough...

that you and I would 'fully, completely' agree on something!!

:D
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • Options
    jamainiac wrote:
    I knew if I kept a positive outlook and held out long enough...

that you and I would 'fully, completely' agree on something!!

:D

corny, but it works! :D
  • Options

me jealous! :)
  • Options
    1 sleep 'til Chicago! :D

*in my mind i just sang that to the tune of "that night in toronto"* :o