Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    direwolf74 wrote:
    As it got darker, we could literally see the constellations revealing themselves one star at a time.

^ :D

glad you had a good time! :)

any pics??
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    oh man that show was stellar last night!!! i was right against the stage, there was NO BARRICADE. my arms could rest on the stage....during grace, gord put my fingers in his MOUTH!!! nibbled them a bit...fuck i was so close, my girl and i drove down on a hot day, it was a great venue, would go again....the average age at this show had to be in the 30's. lots of people sat nobody wanted to be upfront...

gord was on all night i was literally a foot away from him when he started

'birng me back in shackles....."
    SO GREAT. we were in heaven....i will never get that close to them again...

..paul seemed a little grumpy.... heres the set i can remember
    NO ORDER:

ocean
    music at work
    grace
    lake fever
    fully
    drop off
    container
    kids
    abac
    membership
    in view
    family band
    bobcaygeon
    dire wolf
    new orleans
    nautical disaster
    fireworks
    little bones

ended with FIRE IN THE HOLE!!! the best ender they have. IMO

that setlist will tide us over until the official is posted. i wish they would play ANYTHING from in between evolution !!!!

see you 3rd row center at GMPLACE tonight!!!!! hoping for

INEVITABILITY OF DEATH.

the sadies rocked too!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    oh man that show was stellar last night!!! i was right against the stage, there was NO BARRICADE. my arms could rest on the stage....during grace, gord put my fingers in his MOUTH!!! nibbled them a bit...fuck i was so close, my girl and i drove down on a hot day, it was a great venue, would go again....the average age at this show had to be in the 30's. lots of people sat nobody wanted to be upfront...

..paul seemed a little grumpy.... heres the set i can remember
    NO ORDER:

ocean
    music at work
    grace
    lake fever
    fully
    drop off
    container
    kids
    abac
    membership
    in view
    family band
    bobcaygeon
    dire wolf
    new orleans
    nautical disaster
    fireworks
    little bones

ended with FIRE IN THE HOLE!!! the best ender they have. IMO

that setlist will tide us over until the official is posted. i wish they would play ANYTHING from in between evolution !!!!

see you 3rd row center at GMPLACE tonight!!!!! hoping for

INEVITABILITY OF DEATH.

the sadies rocked too!

Inevitability of Death is the ticket live man.....forgot how good that tune was live....
  • Options
    The Tragically Hip are playing in front of 1000 people in Saskatoon on the 18th at The Delta...nice garden venue overlooking the South Saskatchewan River...lucky fucking bastards that get to go to that show.....guarantee Wheat Kings is played....but that is a no brainer right....
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    The Tragically Hip are playing in front of 1000 people in Saskatoon on the 18th at The Delta...nice garden venue overlooking the South Saskatchewan River...lucky fucking bastards that get to go to that show.....guarantee Wheat Kings is played....but that is a no brainer right....

ahhh the ol' stompin grounds... jealous of the lucky few that'll be there
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    already up:

i had them all too!

1: Yer Not The Ocean
    2: My Music At Work
    3: Grace, Too
    4: Lake Fever
    5: The Drop-Off
    6: Bobcaygeon
    7: Nautical Disaster
    8: In View
    9: The Dire Wolf
    10: World Container
    11: Fireworks
    12: New Orleans Is Sinking
    13: Ahead By A Century
    14: The Kids Don't Get It
    15: Fully Completely
    16: Little Bones
    17: Family Band
    18: Membership
    19: Fire In The Hole
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    bharQ wrote:
    ahhh the ol' stompin grounds... jealous of the lucky few that'll be there

Yeah ab=nd a good buddy mine picked up four...said I could have one but I ham stuck up in the fucking bush....only 9 more months till Calgary...lol
  • Options

..paul seemed a little grumpy....

LMAO!!! whhaaatt?? gordie nibbled your fingers???? how did that happen?? i'm confused.... :o:D

hahaha.... glad you had a good time... front row is the place to be!! :p

solid setlist too! high energy! wow!

ok.. i'm getting totally psyched for more Hip shows.... :cool:
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    LMAO!!! whhaaatt?? gordie nibbled your fingers???? how did that happen?? i'm confused.... :o:D

hahaha.... glad you had a good time... front row is the place to be!! :p

solid setlist too! high energy! wow!

ok.. i'm getting totally psyched for more Hip shows.... :cool:

LOL! I was wondering who it was getting their fingers nibbled. That was definitely a classic Gord moment. And yes, the setlist was perfect. I can't believe I forgot to mention their spot-on performance of The Dire Wolf. It was easily the best version I've ever heard them do. I got chills!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Canada.Com- Guitarist picks fave Hip tracks

Nick Lewis, CanWest News Service
    Published: Friday, July 13, 2007

In 2005, Canada’s most beloved band, The Tragically Hip, released a two-disc retrospective collection entitled Yer Favourites, a set of the Kingston, Ont., act’s most popular tunes.

Well, those were your favourites. We wanted to know what their favourites were. And so we chatted with lead guitarist Rob Baker and went through each one of The Hip’s 11 studio albums, asking him for a tidbit about each, as well as asking him for his favourite song from them.

Until a new Hip record hits stores sometime around late-2008 (they’re hoping), these records are going to have to satiate you.

The Tragically Hip EP (1987)
    Singles: "Last American Bringdown"
    About the album: “Ken Greer from Red Rider produced this. It was intended as a demo tape, so we just recorded our five most recent songs, not even realizing we were making a record. When they told us they wanted a record, we went into the studio and recorded 22 songs in two days, just live to two-track. They picked two and stuck them on the end to make an EP. Somewhere out there is a tape with 20 unreleased Hip songs, and damned if we can find it.”
    Baker’s favourite: "I’m a Werewolf Baby." “It’s a ripoff of Jimi Hendrix’s 'Blue Suede Shoes,' but it’s a live staple that led to some good theatrical stuff on stage.”

Up To Here (1989)
    Singles: "New Orleans is Sinking," "Blow at High Dough," "38 Years Old," "Boots or Hearts," "Trickle Down."
    About the album: This features The Hip’s most popular song, "New Orleans is Sinking," which has a famous live version in which singer Gord Downie goes off into an anecdote about working with killer whales. “We never know what Gord is going to say. Never. It’s strictly off the cuff. He’s never worked with killer whales. He never does repeats, and people keep shouting at him to do the ‘killer whale tank’ version live. He repeated it once only.”
    Baker’s favourite: "Opiated" or "New Orleans is Sinking." “I’ve spent more time in New Orleans than any other city, and anyone who has, knows that it was sinking. The city is not well taken care of and it’s below sea level. I hate to say it, but anyone could see that (the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina) was going to happen. Just like anyone living in California should know that one day it’s going to be a free-floating island.”

Road Apples (1991)
    Singles: "Little Bones," "Twist My Arm," "Cordelia," "Long Time Running," "Three Pistols," "Fiddler’s Green"
    About the album: “One of the possible album titles for this was Saskadelphia, but we were signed to an American label at the time, MCA out of Los Angeles, and they didn’t like that. They said, ‘The “delphia” part is okay; what’s “Saska?”’”
    Baker’s favourite: "Fiddler’s Green" and "Long Time Running."

Fully Completely (1992)
    Singles: "Courage," "Looking for a Place to Happen," "At the Hundredth Meridian," "Fully Completely," "Wheat Kings," "Fifty Mission Cap," "Locked in the Trunk of a Car."
    About the album: “For the album cover, we brought a Canon laser colour copier into the studio and photocopied our body parts. We had a Dutch artist (Lieve Prins) come in whose work I had seen. I spoke with her at length about a concept, and away she went at making a collage over a weekend. We actually own the piece, the original life-sized piece, in our studio in Bath (Ont.)”
    Baker’s favourite: "Pigeon Camera." “Some of the songs we didn’t have finished by the time we got into the studio, and that one just sprang to life. I had two days to do all my guitar parts on that record. And I had one crack at doing a solo. So when I go back and listen to that, I think, ‘I was pretty good back then. What happened?’”

Day For Night (1994)
    Singles: "Grace Too," "Greasy Jungle," "So Hard Done By," "Nautical Disaster," "Scared."
    About the album: “My name was Bobby Baker on all the records until this. It was a little dig at my parents who hated the name Bobby. They always called me Robbie or Robert or Rob. So when we put a record out, I had to put ‘Bobby Baker’ down. And people who knew me from my personal life called me Rob and people who knew me from music called me Bobby. For a while, it helped me place in context different people depending on what they called me. But by 1994, it didn’t matter.”
    Baker’s favourite: "So Hard Done By." “This was an outtake for Fully Completely. And it was very different-sounding. A lot more chords, a lot more parts, very Midnight Oil-sounding. And we were sitting around late at night with candles and incense, and one of the road guys, Billy Ray, said ‘Why don’t you play 'So Hard Done By?'’ Of course no one could remember what the arrangement went like. So Gord sang the lyrics and we all just faked it. And it’s way better.”

Trouble At The Henhouse (1996)
    Singles: "Ahead by a Century," "Gift Shop," "700 Ft. Ceiling," "Flamenco," "Butts Wigglin’."
    About the album: “We were leafing through old photography magazines in the studio late one night, and I came across the photo that became the cover and showed it to the guys. And the photo was called ‘Trouble a the Henhouse’. It just seemed fitting.”
    Baker’s favourite: "Ahead by a Century." “Halfway through the recording of Henhouse, that song was at the bottom of the pack and probably wouldn’t have made the record. It was a straight-ahead country song and no one was happy with it, except lyrically. Johnny (Fay) and I stayed late one night at the studio and worked out the song, and when we played it for the guys the next day, it jumped up into the contenders batch.”

Phantom Power (1998)
    Singles: "Poets," "Something On," "Bobcaygeon," "Fireworks," "Escape is at Hand for the Travellin’ Man."
    About the album: “That was a record we did with Steve Berlin from Los Lobos. Los Lobos had toured with us the previous summer, and they were a band we really admired. And we sort of thought, in some ways, that we were like Los Lobos, a rootsy band trying to carve our own niche, operating just out of the spotlight. They were wonderful people, so we enlisted Steve to produce the record.”
    Baker’s favourite: "The Rules." “We had invited Bob Egan, the pedal-steel player from Wilco, to play on a couple of tracks. And he found he really loved Canada, and he decided he wanted to stay, and now he’s a charter member of Blue Rodeo. Good on him.”

MusicWork (2000)
    Singles: "My Music at Work," "The Completists," "Lake Fever."
    About the album: “I come across some people who say this is their favourite Hip record, but I often hear people say it is our weakest effort. I would say the songs on it are strong, but it’s not a focused record. It’s really diverse and eclectic. But personally, I like that. I like that it covers some wider elements than our other records, which may be to its detriment.”
    Baker’s favourite: "The Bear." “We’ve never played it live. But I’ve always liked it.”

In Violet Light (2002)
    Singles: "It’s a Good Life if You Don’t Weaken," "The Darkest One," "Silver Jet"
    About the album: This album was the first after lead singer Gord Downie’s 2001 solo project, Coke Machine Glow. “Were we worried that if Gord was a success that the band would dissolve? Sure. That thought crossed everyone’s mind. I think it crossed Gord’s mind too. ‘What happens if this takes off?’ And, you know, no one really knew. But Gord came back from the experience of a solo record being more focused on the band. Sometimes these things help clean the creative pipes. Like mental Drano. But I would say that In Violet Light is probably the band’s weakest effort. I like some of the songs on it and I enjoyed the process, but I don’t think the timing was right. We were still very much in the writing process. Normally we would write 30 to 40 songs and pare it down to 15 to 17 before going to the studio. And this time, we had 15 to 17 songs, and just went to the studio. There wasn’t much to draw from.”
    Baker’s favourite: (None picked).

In Between Evolution (2004)
    Singles: "Vaccination Scar," "It Can’t be Nashville Every Night"
    About the album: “We wanted to get less of a studio sound on this. You always want the essence of a live record, and Up to Here and Road Apples were basically recorded as live albums. You know, in the studio, playing live. And we set up a studio inSeattle and tried, as much as possible, to record live off the floor. So, like "Gus, the Polar Bear from Central Park," that was all recorded live, all of us playing at the same time.”
    Baker’s favourite: "Gus, the Polar Bear From Central Park." Is it about George Bush? “Sure. It’s about a polar bear in Central Park. But if it fits, sure, it seems appropriate.”

World Container (2006)
    Singles: "Fly, Pretend," "The Drop-Off," "World Container"
    About the album: It’s the best Hip album in a decade, I tell Baker. “Absolutely, I would agree. (Producer) Bob Rock was instrumental on that record, just making us feel confident that The Hip has its own sound, and that we could stretch out and do anything we wanted to do, and still sound like us. He’d say, ‘Imagine this song as if it were The Clash playing Fleetwood Mac.’ And it’s a fun way to be able to draw on your influences and not be afraid to show them. This was coming off the Canada’s Walk of Fame induction, and a greatest hits record, which we never wanted to do, and the Juno Hall of Fame, and all that stuff. It was all retrospective. It made us go, ‘We’ve made 10 records. Let’s make a good one now.’ Everyone felt focused on it."

Baker’s favourite: "The Lonely End of the Rink." “I get off on that song, it’s just a gas to play. It started off as a folky tune, but that’s not how it ended up.”
    © CanWest News Service 2007
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Two more U.S. shows announced:

The Tragically Hip
    October 11th, 2007
    Los Angeles
    House of Blues- Sunset Strip
    On-Sale: July 14th @ 10am
    Ticket Price: : $35
    Tickets Available: : http://www.ticketmaster.com

The Tragically Hip
    October 13th, 2007
    San Diego
    4th and B
    On-Sale: July 14th @ 10am
    Ticket Price: : $25.50
    Tickets Available: http://www.ticketmaster.com

They're in Canada and Europe for the rest of the summer, so these dates look like they might be the start of a 3rd U.S. leg.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Where did everybody go? It's gettin' kinda lonely in here.

Setlist- GM Place, Vancouver, BC, 07/12/07:

Rink
    NOIS
    Music
    Good Life
    Family Band
    ABAC
    Ocean
    Courage
    World C.
    Long Time
    In View
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Bobcaygeon
    Kids
    Fully
    Blow
    Drop off
    Grace
    Fireworks

And here's a great video of "Ahead By a Century" from the Seattle show. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=afKB4yfXbho

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i know someone with 6 tickets up for grabs for tonights show at the dome if anyones interested!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    And here's a great video of "Ahead By a Century" from the Seattle show. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=afKB4yfXbho

awesome video!
    Paul's hair is looking extra poofy lately... lol.. :p

are the trees in the background on screen? or is that the park itself?
  • Options
    And the World Container tour just keeps on going. These guys really are the ultimate road band. They've been on tour since October 2006, and it looks like there's no end in sight. More U.S. dates have just been announced (San Francisco, Aspen, Dallas, Austin). Check it out:

http://thehip.com/touring.html

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    direwolf74 wrote:
    And the World Container tour just keeps on going. These guys really are the ultimate road band. They've been on tour since October 2006, and it looks like there's no end in sight. More U.S. dates have just been announced (San Francisco, Aspen, Dallas, Ausitn). Check it out:

http://thehip.com/touring.html

Please, Pleeeeaaaaaaase let there be a date in FL
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    I have seen the Hip a few times live and just wanted to share the set-list from Election Day 2000 November 27th 2000 Saskatchewan Place...pretty damn good one.....

: My Music At Work
    2: Grace, Too
    3: Three Pistols
    4: Puttin' Down
    5: Giftshop
    6: Titanic Terrarium
    7: Fireworks
    8: The Completists
    9: Inevitability Of Death
    10: Ahead By A Century
    11: At The Hundredth Meridian
    12: Let's Stay Engaged
    13: Nautical Disaster
    14: Tiger The Lion
    15: Wheat Kings
    16: Opiated
    17: Train Overnight
    18: Thompson Girl
    19: Blow At High Dough
    20: Lake Fever
    21: Daredevil
    22: Twist My Arm
    23: Long Time Running
    24: Poets
    25: Flamenco
    26: Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
    27: Emperor Penguin
    28: New Orleans Is Sinking
    29: The Werewithal
    30: Bobcaygeon
    31: An Inch An Hour
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,025
    direwolf74 wrote:
    "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" live in Cleveland. Enjoy!

http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/downloads/tth2007-04-14-Cleveland-EdmundFitzgerald.mp3

Bump This...

love it

Muddy
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Anybody here heading overseas to see the Hip in Europe? I've always wanted to see them play outside of North America, but I've never had the chance. Ahh, the things I would do if I had boat loads of money and was able to get the time off work...(sigh)

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Soo Pass Ranch, Detroit Lakes, 07/20/07:

Rink
    Grace
    NOIS
    Good Life
    Family Band
    ABAC
    Ocean
    Courage
    World C.
    Bobcaygeon
    In View
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Escape
    Kids
    Fully
    Gift
    Blow

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

Just thought I'd rescue the thread from page 3.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    July 21 2007: Rock Fest, Cadott:

1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
    2: Grace, Too
    3: New Orleans Is Sinking
    4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    5: Family Band
    6: Ahead By A Century
    7: Yer Not The Ocean
    8: Poets
    9: Bobcaygeon
    10: In View
    11: At The Hundredth Meridian
    12: Springtime In Vienna
    13: The Kids Don't Get It
    14: Fully Completely
    15: My Music At Work

so, i guess that's it for setlists until the fall when they head out east, b'y. :p
  • Options
    so, i guess that's it for setlists until the fall when they head out east, b'y. :p

Yup, it looks like they're taking August off, which is well deserved considering they've been on the road steadily since last October. Then it's off to Eastern Canada and Europe in September. It also looks like another U.S. tour is in the works for October, as they've just added a few new California dates as well as shows in Aspen, Boulder, Dallas, and Austin. These guys just don't stop!

And I can't remember where I read it, but Robby Baker recently mentioned in an interview that we can most likely expect a new album sometime in 2008. I freakin' LOVE this band!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i seriously need to check out this band it seems. i don't know any of their stuff! sounds like that may be some kind of sin. i need to rectify this quickly then
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    i seriously need to check out this band it seems. i don't know any of their stuff! sounds like that may be some kind of sin. i need to rectify this quickly then

You won't regret it. I'm a a huge fan and I'm probably a bit biased here, but I think these guys are easily one of the best rock bands on the planet. Their live show is second to none. For new fans I always recommend checking out their 2-disc greatest hits collection "Yer Favourites", and then go from there.

Happy listening!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Nautical Disaster is probably one of the wildest songs ever!!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    Nautical Disaster is probably one of the wildest songs ever!!!!

Agreed. It just might be the greatest song ever written by anybody. A brilliant marriage of poetry and rock. Disturbing, haunting, and beautiful. It's pure genius:

"I had this dream where I relished the fray
    and the screaming filled my head all day.
    It was as though I'd been spit here, settled
    in, into the pocket of a lighthouse on some
    rocky socket, off the coast of France, dear.

One afternoon, four thousand men died in
    the water here and five hundred more were
    thrashing madly, as parasites might in your
    blood. Now I was in a lifeboat designed for
    ten and ten only, anything that systematic
    would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a
    test nor a love of something fated. The
    selection was quick, the crew picked and
    those left in the water got kicked off our
    pantleg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings,
    you doing alright he said it's out there most
    days and nights, but only a fool would
    complain. Anyway Susan, if you like, our
    conversation is as faint as a sound in my
    memory, as those fingernails scratching on
    my hull."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    I'm sorry>>
    but anyone new to the Hip should put in the CD "Fully Completely" and let the addiction begin...!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    *bump*

-Tom Waits