Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    New "video of the week" feature at thehip.com. This week's vid features The Lonely End of the Rink, New Orleans is Sinking, and Fully Completely from the ACC in Toronto, Feb. '07. Check it out!

http://www.thehip.com
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    direwolf74 wrote:
    New "video of the week" feature at thehip.com. This week's vid features The Lonely End of the Rink, New Orleans is Sinking, and Fully Completely from the ACC in Toronto, Feb. '07. Check it out!

that was awesome! :D

(even though there was only a split second of Billy at the very end.... ;))

damn, i wish there were videos from Chicago HOB! :o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    when are we going to get some "fan club only" acitvity???

Boots, private shows, etc..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Another show announcement:

The Tragically Hip
    House of Blues
    New Orleans, LA
    Sat, Oct 20, 2007 07:00 PM

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B003EF409B65499
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    And just for fun, here are some cool vids to enjoy. I think a couple of them have been posted before, but who cares. It's the Hip!

Yer Not the Ocean- Moore Theatre, Seattle:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wC6HNdbQIsc

Fire in the Hole- somewhere in Holland, 1995:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=C76l5cUFVbM

Fully Completely- Horeshoe Tavern, Toronto '06:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7kZdzn6-g

The Weight w/ Kathleen Edwards- Barrie, ON '07:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=86h72euAEug

Locked in the Trunk of a Car- Sydney, Australia '92 (Junos broadcast):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5S2NAZ6otps

And just cause I love it so much, here's Springsteen and Eddie Vedder doing "Darkness on the Edge of Town" in East Rutherford, NJ:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=i-rhHSw4x6E

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Three more shows announced:

October 26
    9:30 Club
    Washington, DC

October 27
    Orpheum Theatre
    Boston, MA

October 30th
    Memorial Auditorium
    Burlington, VT

Go here for details:
    http://www.thehip.com/touring.html

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Hey gang! Check out the video of the week at the Hip's website. A cool vid of the boys sittin' around and rehearsing at their studio in Kingston, summer '2005:

http://www.thehip.com/

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey gang! Check out the video of the week at the Hip's website. A cool vid of the boys sittin' around and rehearsing at their studio in Kingston, summer '2005:

http://www.thehip.com/

hey! i watched this this morning... cool to see them in their 'natural habitat'.... ;)

what i don't get though, is that the video is described as "a hot summer night", yet there's not a drop of sweat on Gordie?? he's usually soaked to the skin! his thermostat's fucked up... ;):D
  • Options
    what i don't get though, is that the video is described as "a hot summer night", yet there's not a drop of sweat on Gordie?? he's usually soaked to the skin! his thermostat's fucked up... ;):D

Maybe their studio has air conditioning.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Three more shows announced:

October 27
    Orpheum Theatre
    Boston, MA

Go here for details:
    http://www.thehip.com/touring.html

I told ya Robby said they would come back and play the Orpheum this fall..

I'll see all you canucks from my 10th row center seat..thank you very much...

Don't you love that lack of ticket demand here in the US??!

swwweeeettt!

Direwolf, we better get one of your friggin amazing canadian date setlists though...

I'm talkin' "Lookin' for a place to happen", "Fiddler's Green" and NOIS>> Nautical>> NOIS....
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    I told ya Robby said they would come back and play the Orpheum this fall..

I'll see all you canucks from my 10th row center seat..thank you very much...

Don't you love that lack of ticket demand here in the US??!

swwweeeettt!

nice! glad you fnally got a show, locked! :)

I too have just scored a couple of tickets to a cozy little Hip show at Cape Breton University! :D

so, my friend mookie blaylock 10 and I are makin' the trip out to Sydney, NS!! i'm so stoked!! :cool: :p

HIP!
  • Options
    ok.. canucks..

what's the best cover sonmg the Hip has played on this fabulous tour to date??

(Please DO Not pick "the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald..Gord's vocals are just miserable in that one...shame it could've been a classic too..)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    ok.. canucks..

what's the best cover sonmg the Hip has played on this fabulous tour to date??

(Please DO Not pick "the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald..Gord's vocals are just miserable in that one...shame it could've been a classic too..)

i've really liked the little snippets of Walkin On The Moon from The Police that turn up in 100th Meridian....

Train In Vain from the Barrie show in January was pretty dead-on....

and Smashing Pumpkins 1979 was fun to hear too... for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else... :p
  • Options
    i've really liked the little snippets of Walkin On The Moon from The Police that turn up in 100th Meridian....

Train In Vain from the Barrie show in January was pretty dead-on....

and Smashing Pumpkins 1979 was fun to hear too... for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else... :p

All three of those were awesome. My personal favorite was "The Weight" with Kathleen Edwards in Barrie. Talk about a spot-on cover. Ya know there's something special in the air when Paul takes the spotlight for a verse and sings lead for the first time ever.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    And it looks like florida is getting passed over again...wonderful...
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    Another great cover was Concrete Blonde's "Still in Hollywood".

http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/downloads/tth2007-03-24-LosAngeles-StllInHollywood.mp3

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Just came across this on Youtube. The Hip covering Dylan's "I Want You" in Clifton Park, NY. Gordie sounds especially awesome on this one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nHnrPMri2DE

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Good stuff direwolf! Keep 'em coming! That Dylan cover is pretty sweet!

---
    And just in case this hasn't been posted yet for the other HIP fans.

http://www.thehip.com/Email_08_13_2007.html

Hi Folks,

We hope this email finds you all enjoying your summer.

It has been a busy time at TTH Headquarters. We have started a new feature
    on thehip.com, its the Video of the Week. Each week webmaster MAv culls the
    vault for exclusive and rare live gems. Mav has also been updating our
    youtube page where you will now find all of our official videos.

You can also find us on myspace and facebook. We'd like to take this time to point out http://www.hipbase.com, a fan run forum, where you can discuss all things hip.

The fall will see us collecting lots of air miles. A list of dates is
    below. Check back at thehip.com for updates, new dates to be added and all
    things Hip.

The Hip

09/08/07: St. John’s: Mile One Centre
    09/11/07: Fredericton: Aitken Centre
    09/13/07: Halifax: Metro Centre
    09/14/07: Sydney: Cape Breton University Student Union
    09/15/07: Charlottetown: Civic Centre
    09/21/07: London: The Astoria
    09/23/07: Groningen: Oosterpoort
    09/25/07: Amsterdam: Paradiso
    09/26/07: Amsterdam: Paradiso
    09/28/07: Brussels: Ancienne Belgique
    09/30/07: Koln: Prime Club
    10/01/07: Eindhoven: Effenaar
    10/10/07: San Francisco: The Warfield
    10/11/07: Los Angeles: House Of Blues
    10/13/07: San Diego: 4Th & B
    10/15/07: Aspen: Belly Up
    10/16/07: Boulder: Boulder Theatre
    10/18/07: Austin: La Zona Rosa
    10/19/07: Dallas: House of Blues
    10/20/07: New Orleans: House Of Blues
    10/23/07: New York: Grand Ballroom at The Manhattan
    10/26/07: Washington: 9:30 Club
    10/27/07: Boston: Orpheum Theatre
    10/29/07: New Haven: Toad’s Place
    10/30/07: Burlington: Memorial Auditorium
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    haha.. i must be feeling sappy today, beacause this story almost brought a tear to my eye! :o:D

go to http://www.thehip.com to hear the song...

Song of the Day: Fully Completely, For Steve & Teresa

Posted on: 08/17/2007

So I was perusing the latest Stories in the Hip Story Project and started reading a story about their experience at the Fremont St. Reggae & Blues Festival in sept, 1996 and then I realised that I had the show sitting right here.

So this goes out to Steve and Teresa and here is their story.

Archived by: kgosfm on 08/14/2007

my new girlfriend of a couple of months and I went to this show, I was a serious Hip fan, she was a newbie, and our favorite song was "Fully Completely", We liked this song sooo much that we got a set of tattoos, my soon-to-be-wife got "Fully" on her left breast, and I got "Completely" on the right side of my chest. Of course it was done in the font from the CD cover. We had a few cocktails, and were anxiously awaiting the band to start. After the opening band (which for the life of me I can't remember their name)was over, we moved down front, right in front of the stage. Teresa excused herself for a few moments, returning shortly before the Hip started. Then, after the second track (Locked in the Trunk), Geordie stops and says something like "We got a couple of Lovebirds in the house tonight. This goes out to Steve and Teresa, while he stares at her seriously fucked up breast". Of course, they then ripped through an incredible version of FC.

I almost shit. She was grinning like mad... it seems that when she excused herself earlier, she went out and found Geordie wandering around pre-show and asked him to play FC for us. He kinda hesitated, saying that they hadn't been working on it recently, he couldn't remember the words, etc. However, Teresa just put on her sad face... and pulled her shirt open enough so he could see the "Fully"... and he kinda freaked out, and siad they would do it. He walked away muttering "Fully Completely, Steve & Teresa" to himself over and over again....

What a great night. btw, if ANYONE has a copy of this show, I'd LOVE to have a copy... it would be much appreciated.

Steve Gossett
    KGOS-FM Studios
    Coppell, TX

None of the hits, all of the time.

although it sounds like her breast was "deeply freckled", not "fucked up", as Steve remembers.... ;)
  • Options
    Great story!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    The World Container tour might me one of the longest ones they've ever done. They've been on the road steadily since October of last year, and it looks like the tour will end in the U.S. on Oct. 30th in Burlington, VT. It's a good thing they took August off, because they must be absolutely exhausted. Anybody seeing them in Europe or the final leg of the American tour in October?? I've seen them twice on this tour, but unfortunately I can't afford to take any more road trips this year. I'd step over my own mother to see them just one more time before they go into hibernation.

On the bright side, whenever the Hip go into hiding for a while, it usually means they're working on the next album. Robby mentioned in a recent interview that he expects a new record to be out sometime in 2008. Goddamn I love this band!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    If you guys wanna hear one of the coolest things you've ever heard, check out today's song of the day, "Daredevil" on the Hip's homepage.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    Nocturnal Zoo

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    *bump*

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    3 weeks 'til the Great East Coast Hip Roadtrip!! :D
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    If you guys wanna hear one of the coolest things you've ever heard, check out today's song of the day, "Daredevil" on the Hip's homepage.

where was it taken from??

$100 says its not a Boston gig..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    where was it taken from??

$100 says its not a Boston gig..

It was taken from their gig in Cleveland a couple months ago. They did a slow drawn-out intro with Gord singing a killer version of Randy Newman's "Burn On" before the song segued seamlessly into "Daredevil". It was incredibly cool.

There's a red moon rising
    On the Cuyahoga River
    Rolling into Cleveland to the lake

There's a red moon rising
    ON the Cuyahoga River

There's an oil barge winding
    Down the Cuyahoga River

There's an oil barge winding
    Down the Cuyahoga River

Cleveland, city of light, city of magic
    Cleveland, city of light, you're calling me
    Cleveland, even now I can remember
    'Cause the Cuyahoga River
    Goes smokin' through my dreams

Burn on, big river, burn on
    Now the Lord can make you tumble
    And the Lord can make you turn
    And the Lord can make you overflow
    But the Lord can't make you burn

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    what? no "hiccups" SEGUE???
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    All three of those were awesome. My personal favorite was "The Weight" with Kathleen Edwards in Barrie. Talk about a spot-on cover. Ya know there's something special in the air when Paul takes the spotlight for a verse and sings lead for the first time ever.

word!
    you know your Hip stuff DW...!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    picked up my row 7 tix for charlottetown today =)

hip shows 7
    p/j shows 6
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06