Ok. Now I'm nervous =)

i'm not crazy! i promise! :D

plus, you invited me, remember?? :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    i'm not crazy! i promise! :D

plus, you invited me, remember?? :p

HAHA! I was more concerned about *YOU* thinking *I* am crazy. Now what? =)

We're going for the rail both nights, right? I'm too short to have it any other way (my excuse).
    Just me
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Zanne wrote:
    HAHA! I was more concerned about *YOU* thinking *I* am crazy. Now what? =)

We're going for the rail both nights, right? I'm too short to have it any other way (my excuse).

absolutely! although at 6'0", i don't have an excuse...
    lol! we're going to be quite a pair... :o:D
  • Options
    absolutely! although at 6'0", i don't have an excuse...
    lol! we're going to be quite a pair... :o:D

6 feet tall? It's almost gonna be like having my boyfriend with me (6'7"). Good though, you can catch any goodies tossed out to the crowd.. Though at the shows I've been to, they didn't seem to do a lot of tossing. =/
    Just me
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Zanne wrote:
    6 feet tall? It's almost gonna be like having my boyfriend with me (6'7"). Good though, you can catch any goodies tossed out to the crowd.. Though at the shows I've been to, they didn't seem to do a lot of tossing. =/

Good luck catching any goodies at the shows Sue. :)
  • Options
    Good luck catching any goodies at the shows Sue. :)

Yeah, hopefully one of 'em tosses out a phattie! Now, that would be a rock show!

EDIT: I wish you were going along, too, Patrick. You can always change your mind and I can grab another ticket. I think tomorrow night is sold out now, but last I looked, Saturday still had tix available.
    Just me
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Zanne wrote:
    Yeah, hopefully one of 'em tosses out a phattie! Now, that would be a rock show!

EDIT: I wish you were going along, too, Patrick. You can always change your mind and I can grab another ticket. I think tomorrow night is sold out now, but last I looked, Saturday still had tix available.

Very tempting Sue. :)
  • Options
    Very tempting Sue. :)

You have my number.. and I will be online as much as possible on your favorite li'l laptop. Get ahold of me if you decide you wanna.
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:

lol! too funny....

ok... seriously... i gotta get some work done.

Z, i'll catch you later!!! :cool: :D
  • Options
    lol! too funny....

ok... seriously... i gotta get some work done.

Z, i'll catch you later!!! :cool: :D

Kewl.
    Just me
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Zanne wrote:

Actually, Gord tends to beat the hell out of his mic stand, and when it breaks in half he usually ends up handing the leftover pieces to folks in the front row. How's that for a souvenier!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Actually, Gord tends to beat the hell out of his mic stand, and when it breaks in half he usually ends up handing the leftover pieces to folks in the front row. How's that for a souvenier!

I'll be looking for it
    Just me
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Looks like European shows are in the works, tickets for London in September go on sale today.

I'm out of the country though which kinda sucks
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Just ordered my tickets for the show at London (21st Sept). First time i'll have seen em live - really, really looking forward to this, also got tickets to see the Decemberists the week after.
  • Options
    Soupy wrote:
    Just ordered my tickets for the show at London (21st Sept). First time i'll have seen em live - really, really looking forward to this, also got tickets to see the Decemberists the week after.

Lucky you. I can't believe I'm away when they're playing.....rotten luck.

I doubt there'll be any other UK shows either.....they don't seem that well known over here....I couldn't find any of their records in Cardiff!
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    Setlist- The Vogue, Indianapolis, 05/10/07:

Rink
    View
    Grace
    Good Life
    Fly
    ABAC
    Ocean
    Fireworks
    World Container
    LTR
    Springtime
    NOIS
    Kids
    BobC
    Family Band
    Bones
    Last Night I Dreamed
    Helter Skelter
    Fire in the Hole
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Lucky you. I can't believe I'm away when they're playing.....rotten luck.

I doubt there'll be any other UK shows either.....they don't seem that well known over here....I couldn't find any of their records in Cardiff!

Just go here and you can order them all:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/203-7589444-7020735?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+tragically+hip&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Or you could use any of the online Canadian retailers. They all ship internationally:

http://www.maplemusic.com/dept.asp?dept_id=376
    http://www.mymusic.com/search2.asp?curr=0&cboSearch=Artist&txtSearch=The+Tragically+Hip&org=new
    http://amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/701-8307614-3409108?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=the+tragically+hip&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

If you don't have it already, I recommend picking up their amazing new album "World Container". As many folks have mentioned in this thread, it's the best thing they've done in years. It's always cool to see new fans discovering the Hip!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    I LOVE WHEN THEY CLOSE WITH FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

anybody here going to that show in redmond?? near seattle? i am. then seeeing them at GM place the next night.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    I LOVE WHEN THEY CLOSE WITH FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

anybody here going to that show in redmond?? near seattle? i am. then seeeing them at GM place the next night.

i think i've probably siad the same thing at least once or twice in this thread! :) too many pages to check now, though. :D

it's definitely one of my favourite closers.
  • Options
    i think i've probably siad the same thing at least once or twice in this thread! :) too many pages to check now, though. :D

it's definitely one of my favourite closers.

When they play it live, that song scares me. It's the one song in the Hip's catalogue that could actually be considered 'metal' or 'punk' due to the aggressive guitars and Gord's angry, menacing delivery. I love it! I saw them play it in Erie, PA one time and I swear I saw smoke coming out of Robby's amplifier...although that may have just been my imagination.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    When they play it live, that song scares me. It's the one song in the Hip's catalogue that could actually be considered 'metal' or 'punk' due to the aggressive guitars and Gord's angry, menacing delivery. I love it! I saw them play it in Erie, PA one time and I swear I saw smoke coming out of Robby's amplifier...although that may have just been my imagination.

haha :D this made me laugh. :)
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Just go here and you can order them all:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/203-7589444-7020735?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+tragically+hip&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Or you could use any of the online Canadian retailers. They all ship internationally:

http://www.maplemusic.com/dept.asp?dept_id=376
    http://www.mymusic.com/search2.asp?curr=0&cboSearch=Artist&txtSearch=The+Tragically+Hip&org=new
    http://amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/701-8307614-3409108?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=the+tragically+hip&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

If you don't have it already, I recommend picking up their amazing new album "World Container". As many folks have mentioned in this thread, it's the best thing they've done in years. It's always cool to see new fans discovering the Hip!

Thanks.

I ordered both Yer Favourites and World Container from Amazon a few weeks back. Yer Favourites arrived a couple of days ago and I'm still waiting on World Container to come into stock.

It was the World Container stuff that got me into them though....listened to it via their site and was instantly smitten :)

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    hey! Zanne and civ_eng_girl here, live from Chicago!

the show last night was amazing as usual! might have had somthing to do with Paul and Gord making eyes at us in the front row! ;):p

here's what we can remember of the setlist:

Yer Not The Ocean
    Fully Completely
    Puttin' Down
    Drop Off
    Courage
    Bobcaygeon
    Lake Fever
    Family Band
    World Container
    Escape is At Hand !
    It's a Good Life !
    Inevitability of Death
    Music at Work
    Lonely end of the Rink
    100th Meridian
    Grace Too

In View
    1979 (Smashing Pumpkins) :cool:
    New Orleans

We saw Paul havin' a smoke outside the hotel, and requested Fiddler's Green... so we're keepin' our fingers crossed...

so, does anybody know the story on the guitar tech guy? name? age? sign? phone number? is he married? ;):D
    Just me
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Thanks.

I ordered both Yer Favourites and World Container from Amazon a few weeks back. Yer Favourites arrived a couple of days ago and I'm still waiting on World Container to come into stock.

It was the World Container stuff that got me into them though....listened to it via their site and was instantly smitten :)

always cool to see new fans.. I was playing a friend Trouble at the Henhouse recently one drunken evening and she went out and bought most of their albums before she left canada for London :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    hey! Zanne and civ_eng_girl here, live from Chicago!

the show last night was amazing as usual! might have had somthing to do with Paul and Gord making eyes at us in the front row!

here's what we can remember of the setlist:

Yer Not The Ocean
    Fully Completely
    Puttin' Down
    Drop Off
    Courage
    Bobcaygeon
    Lake Fever
    Family Band
    World Container
    Escape is At Hand !
    It's a Good Life !
    Inevitability of Death
    Music at Work
    Lonely end of the Rink
    100th Meridian
    Grace Too

In View
    1979 (Smashing Pumpkins) :cool:
    New Orleans

We saw Paul havin' a smoke outside the hotel, and requested Fiddler's Green... so we're keepin' our fingers crossed...

so, does anybody know the story on the guitar tech guy? name? age? sign? phone number? is he married? ;):D

both of ye should know by now that gord sinclair is the man to talk to to get your tunes played! :D

you both must be having an awesome time! thanks for sharing the setlist you think? you saw...haha

seriously, though...awesome!

p.s. jealous! ;)
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:

The guy with the cowboy hat, right? His name is Billy Ray. Super nice guy. If you hang out at the front of the stage after the show is over, he'll give you the setlist...as long as you ask nicely.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Article/interview from Bloomberg News:

Canadian Rock's Tragically Hip Raises Katrina Money, Woos U.S.

By Paul Goguen

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Back in the '80s, five schoolmates got together in Kingston, Ontario, and formed a rock group that would become one of Canada's most successful, recently sharing a bill with the Rolling Stones.

The Tragically Hip's newest disc, ``World Container,'' is its most polished effort, likely to please home-country fans and possibly win new ones in the coveted U.S. market.

Lead singer Gordon Downie, 43, spoke about the Hip's recording life in Bloomberg's New York studios.

Goguen: The band's 1989 breakthrough song, ``New Orleans Is Sinking,'' has an ironic title after Hurricane Katrina. I noticed on your Web site that you are trying to help the people of New Orleans.

Downie: We wrote the song way back when, obviously not about Hurricane Katrina or the city sinking all in one go, but sinking over time -- you know, with its position under sea level. That was the idea then, about being a Canadian kid going down for Mardi Gras and spring break, saying that if the city goes down, I don't want to swim.

After Katrina, great fanfare was made about the pulling of the song at various radio stations -- that probably didn't play it anyway. We had another song called ``If New Orleans Is Beat'' from our last record, ``In Between Evolution.'' And so I, with a friend of mine, Joseph Boyden -- who lives down there and teaches writing -- made a small effort to try and raise a little money and awareness, toward the Red Cross.

Goguen: ``World Container,'' your latest, was produced by fellow Canadian Bob Rock, who is famous for his work with Motley Crue and Metallica. How did you connect, and what it was like working with him?

Downie: It started as a conversation, and we gingerly moved to cutting a few tracks together. We hit it off immediately.

Bob is just really something else. He is a musicologist through and through. He can tell you what he was wearing when he bought ``Exile on Main Street,'' he can tell you who played on what, he knows music through and through and he loves it. That's why the records he makes sound the way they do -- a 14-year-old who can't believe he makes records for a living.

Goguen: The jacket copy on ``World Container'' says ``all songs by the Tragically Hip.'' Sharing coveted writing credits has caused battles within so many bands. Why do you do it that way?

Downie: We had a brief discussion about it in Paul's (Hip member Langlois) parents' basement once. I think that it has really created our main goal or aspiration, which is really just to know each other, to support each other, to grow. It was a good decision.

Song Suits

Goguen: Band members sue each other all the time over songwriting issues.

Downie: Oh, we still sue each other (laughs).

Goguen: The band is hugely popular in Canada. You were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and you've won 15 Juno awards, the Canadian equivalent of a Grammy. Does the new album specifically target the U.S. market?

Downie: Well, no. It matters, but not for the reasons one might expect. We have been coming down here for 15 years and converting people, say, 45 at a time, just building it up slowly and surely with our show.

Obviously, if you are in a rock band with a rhythm-and- blues foundation, you want to come to the United States and play your music down here. You want to get close to the source, you want to get close to the flame, where this music originated.

(Paul Goguen writes for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this story: Paul Goguen at pgoguen1@bloomberg.net .

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    The guy with the cowboy hat, right? His name is Billy Ray. Super nice guy. If you hang out at the front of the stage after the show is over, he'll give you the setlist...as long as you ask nicely.

lol! thanks dire... i knew you come thru with the info..

i wish i'd read this before the show tonight so we could've gotten his attention.... we've been calling him "cute ass guy" all day ;) no luck with any setlists though... came away empty handed again. :( after that, we decided to change his name to just plain "ass guy"... lol!

so... i'd just like to say that Wintersleep rocked the fuck out tonight! they were awesome! and in hindsight, were the highlight of the evening.

Zanne and I both felt that the Hip fell a little flat tongiht.... maybe last night was just extra special... maybe being jilted yet again by Billy Ray clouded our perception... :o

Anyways, here again is the setlist we can recall:

In View
    Twist My Arm
    ABAC
    Blow at High Dough
    Wheat Kings
    Poets
    Family Band
    Kids Don't Get It
    Fly
    Fireworks
    Gus The Polar Bear
    Scared ! (my first time in 6 shows!)
    Greasy Jungle

Surrender (Cheap Trick)
    Don't Wake Daddy
    Lonely End of the Rink

hmmmm... i feel like i'm missing something... but then, it was a bit of an off night...

Zanne is currently angry about the lack of Fiddler's Green, and is sitting on the bed, eating raw fish instead of crow... ;)

(Mookie... i guess you were right about tracking down Gord S!)

g'night eh! :p

edit: I did forget one! Springtime in Vienna....
  • Options
    Here's to wondering if civ_eng_girl made it to work this morning! ... Or maybe she was trying so hard to "keep the dream alive" that she missed the alarm? hehe
    Just me