Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Hey Folks,

We are very happy to announce that we will be joining some of our favorite artists for a great night of music and a great cause at the Holiday Jam in Toronto at the Phoenix Concert Theatre.

Performing on the show will be Sarah Harmer, Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, Matt Mays and Buck 65.

All proceeds from the concert will be benefiting The Hospital for Sick Children’s Sickkids Foundation.

We have held back a limited amount of tickets for exclusive sale to Registered Users of thehip.com

HOLIDAY JAM
    An Evening of Acoustic Music
    Featuring
    The Tragically Hip
    Sarah Harmer, Sam Roberts,
    Kathleen Edwards, Matt Mays & Buck 65

WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 13, 2006
    PHOENIX CONCERT THEATRE
    DOORS @ 7:00 PM SHOW @ 8:00
    TICKETS (Including GST) - $40.00 Advance
    19+ Show

Registered Users of http://www.thehip.com can go to the web site and get the password for ticketmaster once they have logged into the site.

ridiculous!! :)

that's awesome. expect to see some sweet jams. no doubt sarah and gord will do "silver road" and matt will do "when the angels make contact" with buck 65. matt and kathleen edwards together on a lot of tracks too...should be an unique concert experience!
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    bharQ wrote:
    lol well we DID get 4 shows at the Uni.. :)

If I could shake a fist through the screen at all of you lucky bastards, I would
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Hey gang! They just announced another date with The Who:

The Who with Special Guests The Tragically Hip
    Conseco Fieldhouse Indianapolis, Indiana

Tickets On Sale Monday December 4th at 10am

Tickets: $53.50 and $83.50 with a limited number of gold circle seats.

Available at the Conseco Fieldhouse box office, Ticketmaster outlets, charge by phone at 317.239.5151 or on-line at livenation.com
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • well, don't that kick a little ass!!! :cool: :D:D

finally had a chance to watch some of these last night....i'm sooooo excited for January!!

At The Quinte Hotel was brilliant - i've never heard the poem before... i love the premise of it! :)

And i'm not really sure about Sarah Polleys Courage... an octave too high, in my opinion :eek: kinda hurt my head in some parts.... :o

1) happy that you had a chance to see the clips finally! :)
    2) at the quinte is feckin' brilliant ;)
    3) don't be hatin' on my girl s. m f'n poll-e !!! :D

i joke, i joke, i kid, i kid...:D

actually, ceg, courage is my least fave hip tune, so i think that is why i am so fond of this other version....plus it's sarah polley! :)

i hope your head is feeling better...
    actually, ceg, courage is my least fave hip tune, so i think that is why i am so fond of this other version....plus it's sarah polley! :)

Sarah Polley can sing me to sleep anytime she wants! Not only does she have great pipes, but the girl is one hell of an actress with boat loads of integrity. Apparently Hollywood has been knocking on her door for years, but she continues to stay in Canada taking roles in mostly low budget indie flicks, and just about everything that Atom Egoyan directs. But it's not like she's completely turned her back on Hollywood. One of the coolest things ever was watching her kick some zombie ass in the Dawn of the Dead remake. Damn she's hot!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • 1) happy that you had a chance to see the clips finally! :)
    2) at the quinte is feckin' brilliant ;)
    3) don't be hatin' on my girl s. m f'n poll-e !!! :D

i joke, i joke, i kid, i kid...:D

i hope your head is feeling better...

The Quinte Hotel really was brilliant!!! Its kinda got this Twilight Zone thing goin' on! Seems like the story could continue to go around and around in circles infinately.... :cool:

Don't get me wrong... I like Sarah as an actress... Seeing her do Go after being in Road to Avonlea was pretty monumental... hehehe... :)

And the chorus of her Courage was lovely... when she took it down an octave... ;)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey gang! They just announced another date with The Who:

The Who with Special Guests The Tragically Hip
    Conseco Fieldhouse Indianapolis, Indiana

Tickets On Sale Monday December 4th at 10am

Tickets: $53.50 and $83.50 with a limited number of gold circle seats.

Available at the Conseco Fieldhouse box office, Ticketmaster outlets, charge by phone at 317.239.5151 or on-line at livenation.com

pete is once again my hero

i am so f'n happy it ain't funny
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    The radio station here in T.O. is doing a survey as to what the worst band name is in alt-rock these days. The guy who just called in suggested that "Tragically Hip" is the worst band name going. He said that he personally doesn't mind the name BUT thinks that their name is the reason that the band hasn't achieved the global commercial success that they deserve - "if their name wasn't so uncool they would have done much better"......any thoughts??????

.....I get 2 see the Hip at The Phoenix twice in the same year (hadn't seen them live in 10 years prior to now). I am actually going to see Sarah Harmer and Kathleen Edwards - the Hip will just be a little bit of gravy on the event.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    The radio station here in T.O. is doing a survey as to what the worst band name is in alt-rock these days. The guy who just called in suggested that "Tragically Hip" is the worst band name going. He said that he personally doesn't mind the name BUT thinks that their name is the reason that the band hasn't achieved the global commercial success that they deserve - "if their name wasn't so uncool they would have done much better"......any thoughts??????

.....I get 2 see the Hip at The Phoenix twice in the same year (hadn't seen them live in 10 years prior to now). I am actually going to see Sarah Harmer and Kathleen Edwards - the Hip will just be a little bit of gravy on the event.

heeheehee!! you're asking a bunch of Pearl Jam fans if they think a band name is lame??

;):D;):D
    Todd76 wrote:

Funny, I've always thought they had one of the coolest names in rock, but maybe that's just me. The name certainly isn't any worse than Queens of the Stone Age or Red Hot Chili Peppers, and those bands are HUGE. I actually chalk up the Hip's lack of global success to the fact that they have so much integrity and that they never changed their music to fit into any popular trend that was happening at the time. When grunge hit the mainstream, the Hip didn't really sound like grunge. When pop-punk became the flavor the month, the Hip didn't sound like pop-punk. When all those terrible nu-metal bands became popular (Limp Bizkit, Korn, etc..) the Hip weren't even close to sounding like that. When "emo" became the buzz word of the year, the Hip were about as far from emo as you could get. Right now, people the world over are salivating over indie-rock, which is now starting to absorb itself into the mainstream thanks to shows like the OC, Six Feet Under, and movies like Garden State. The Hip don't really have that lo-fi "indie-rock" sound to them, and although they're incredibly versatile and can pretty much play any style imaginable (rock, blues, folk, punk-rock, metal, pop, country, piano ballads), they're still for the most part a straight-ahead rock n' roll band, so there's no way they would ever become popular among the indie-rock set, even though lyrically (and sometimes musically) they're more sophisticated than just about any band out there. Gord Downie's solo work definitely has more of an indie-rock sound to it, but as a band the Hip's music sounds very polished and refined, kind of like...oh I don't know...like they've been playing and making music together for 20 years. They definitely have their own sound, but for some reason that sound never became one of the popular musical trends, and that's one of the reasons I think they're so cool and unique. I'd say the closest the Hip have to a musical brother would be R.E.M. or Pearl Jam, although I think Gord Downie is a far more interesting lyricist/frontman than either Michael Stipe or Eddie Vedder.

Anyways, what the hell was my point? Oh yeah. The Hip's name has absolutely NOTHING to do with their lack of global commercial success. It's their music that's kept them a secret. It's amazing that over the course of one year back in 1995 they opened for Page & Plant, The Rolling Stones, and played on Saturday Night Live, and yet they still didn't catch on with the American mainstream. It blows my mind.

-Tom Waits
    I completely 100% agree Mr Wolf....I didn't think that guys arguement held any water - just thought it might start an interesting conversation (which it did). No doubt that the Hip havent made any attempt to try to fit into any new trend - trends die out, good music is here to stay....although I do think that In View kinda has a Broken Social Scene vibe to it - bandwagon jumpers :)

......I bet you are a little disappointed/pissed about the Benefit show at the Phoenix in T.O. (Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards, Matt Mays - some of your favs) - not to rub it in ;) but i'll let ya know how it is
    Todd76 wrote:
    I completely 100% agree Mr Wolf....I didn't think that guys arguement held any water - just thought it might start an interesting conversation (which it did). No doubt that the Hip havent made any attempt to try to fit into any new trend - trends die out, good music is here to stay....although I do think that In View kinda has a Broken Social Scene vibe to it - bandwagon jumpers :)

......I bet you are a little disappointed/pissed about the Benefit show at the Phoenix in T.O. (Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards, Matt Mays - some of your favs) - not to rub it in ;) but i'll let ya know how it is

Damn you! I would kill to be at that show. The same lineup played last year, and I heard it was incredible. Sarah did "Silver Road" with the Hip, Sam Roberts did a duet of "City of Lakes" with his buddy Matt Mays, and The Hip did covers of Johnny Cash's "Hurt" and Bob Dylan's "Going Going Gone". Can't wait to hear what kind of surprises happen at this year's show. Since you're gonna be at the show, I expect to get a full review from ya.

Oh, and I totally agree regarding "In View". To me it sounds kinda like Matthew Sweet, The Stereophonics, Broken Social Scene, the Weakerthans, and the Hip all rolled into one. I know Downie is a huge Weakerthans fan, and a big fan of John Samson's lyrics in particular, and his vocal delivery in that song is very reminiscent of something like "Aside" or "Plea from a Cat Named Virtue".

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    I know Downie is a huge Weakerthans fan, and a big fan of John Samson's lyrics in particular, and his vocal delivery in that song is very reminiscent of something like "Aside" or "Plea from a Cat Named Virtue".

I swear I'm gonna bite you hard and taste your tinny blood,
    if you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating since the day you brought me home.
    I know you're strong.

god, that last line chokes me up every time..... :o
    I swear I'm gonna bite you hard and taste your tinny blood,
    if you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating since the day you brought me home.
    I know you're strong.

god, that last line chokes me up every time..... :o

Me too! The music on that tune is so upbeat and poppy, but the lyrics have such an emotional vibe to them, and that last line is so powerful, it's like a punch to the gut. Such a beautiful song. The Weakerthans are easily one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and I think Samson is a genius. I just wish they wouldn't take so damn long in between albums. It's been 3 years since they gave us Reconstruction Site, and I'm thinking it's time for some new music from the boys. I've read that John is notoriously slow when it comes to songwriting and he likes to take his time. Anybody have any news on those guys?? Their website hasn't been updated since September.

And while we're on the subject of lyrics that choke me up:

"You are ahead by a century,
    and disappointing you's gettin' me down."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Damn you! I would kill to be at that show. The same lineup played last year, and I heard it was incredible. Sarah did "Silver Road" with the Hip, Sam Roberts did a duet of "City of Lakes" with his buddy Matt Mays, and The Hip did covers of Johnny Cash's "Hurt" and Bob Dylan's "Going Going Gone". Can't wait to hear what kind of surprises happen at this year's show. Since you're gonna be at the show, I expect to get a full review from ya.

Oh, and I totally agree regarding "In View". To me it sounds kinda like Matthew Sweet, The Stereophonics, Broken Social Scene, the Weakerthans, and the Hip all rolled into one. I know Downie is a huge Weakerthans fan, and a big fan of John Samson's lyrics in particular, and his vocal delivery in that song is very reminiscent of something like "Aside" or "Plea from a Cat Named Virtue".

I will be there - and a full review would be my pleasure (its the least I can do). Seeing the Hip twice in one year in a small club - feels like highschool all over again (although I guess it was arenas back then)

I think you hit the nail on the head with your In View review - LOVE the Weakerthans, Reconstruction Site is a classic. I think they are opening some dates on the Hip tour (I might be totally wrong - but I thought Gord said that when he was interviewed on the local radio station here)....maybe that means we will finally be getting a new album out of them.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    I will be there - and a full review would be my pleasure (its the least I can do). Seeing the Hip twice in one year in a small club - feels like highschool all over again (although I guess it was arenas back then)

I think you hit the nail on the head with your In View review - LOVE the Weakerthans, Reconstruction Site is a classic. I think they are opening some dates on the Hip tour (I might be totally wrong - but I thought Gord said that when he was interviewed on the local radio station here)....maybe that means we will finally be getting a new album out of them.

The Weakerthans opened for them during their tour this past summer... saw them at Fort York....

I like the Weakerthans, but not being an expert on them, i find their songs sound very similar to me...

while i was listing to their set, i felt as though i could sing "Comment allez-vous ce soir? Je suis comme ci comme ça." to almost every tune! ;)
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I think this would be a much better retro-spective "greatest hits for the True (Longtime) Hip fans" than what came out on "yer favorites":

Disc: 1
    1. Grace, Too (Live SNL Version)
    2. Everytime You Go
    3. Bring it all back
    4. Yawning and Snarling
    5. Gift Shop
    6. Ahead by a Century
    7. Silver Jet
    8. Three Pistols
    9. So Hard Done By
    10. Fiddler's Green
    11. Looking for a Place to Happen
    12. Cordelia
    13. 'It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken'
    14. Blow at High Dough
    15. Wheat Kings
    16. Fifty-Mission Cap
    17. New Orleans Is Sinking (Live-Killer Whale version)
    18. Puttin' Down

Disc: 2
    1. Fully Completely
    2. Twist My Arm
    3. Courage (Four Hugh MacLennan)
    4. Lake Fever
    5. Poets
    6. Membership
    7. Goodnight Josephine
    8. Bobcaygeon
    9. Nautical Disaster
    10. Opiated
    11. Gus: The Polar Bear from Central Park
    12. Thugs
    13. Something On
    14. At the Hundredth Meridian
    15. Long Time Running
    16. The Bear
    17. Locked in the Trunk of a Car
    18. Little Bones
    19. Another Midnight
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    locked wrote:
    I think this would be a much better retro-spective "greatest hits for the True (Longtime) Hip fans" than what came out on "yer favorites":

Disc: 1
    1. Grace, Too (Live SNL Version)
    2. Everytime You Go
    3. Bring it all back
    4. Yawning and Snarling
    5. Gift Shop
    6. Ahead by a Century
    7. Silver Jet
    8. Three Pistols
    9. So Hard Done By
    10. Fiddler's Green
    11. Looking for a Place to Happen
    12. Cordelia
    13. 'It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken'
    14. Blow at High Dough
    15. Wheat Kings
    16. Fifty-Mission Cap
    17. New Orleans Is Sinking (Live-Killer Whale version)
    18. Puttin' Down

Disc: 2
    1. Fully Completely
    2. Twist My Arm
    3. Courage (Four Hugh MacLennan)
    4. Lake Fever
    5. Poets
    6. Membership
    7. Goodnight Josephine
    8. Bobcaygeon
    9. Nautical Disaster
    10. Opiated
    11. Gus: The Polar Bear from Central Park
    12. Thugs
    13. Something On
    14. At the Hundredth Meridian
    15. Long Time Running
    16. The Bear
    17. Locked in the Trunk of a Car
    18. Little Bones
    19. Another Midnight

i first read that as a setlist and nearly shit myself!!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    locked wrote:

19. Another Midnight

definitely one of my favourites :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I just rode into Boston this morning cranking "The Dark Canuck"..

I love that song (yes, even though I've never been to Canada..)

That song has so many layers to it, and Gord's lyrics are so profound...

It amazes me that anyone puts the likes of Bob Dylan on a pedistal..

I'll take Gord Downie, (the genius / madman / poet) over Dylan any day...

Ironically, I've never witneesed nor heard a live cut of "The Dark Canuck"..

I heard Gord walks over and sits down on the edge of the stage for the part "If you need a good connection for drugs.."

That must be awesome!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    I just rode into Boston this morning cranking "The Dark Canuck"..

One of my favorites! I've never seen them do it live either, but I have heard it on a few bootlegs from the '02 tour and it sounds amazing. Perhaps that'll be another song they'll pull out of the vaults for the World Container tour.

-Tom Waits
  • some lyrics for this thursday afternoon...:)

If I die of Vanity, promise me, promise me,
    they bury me some place I don't want to be,
    you'll dig me up and transport me unceremoniously,
    away from the swollen city-breeze, garbage-bag trees,
    whispers of disease and acts of enormity
    and lower me slowly, sadly, and properly
    Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy
    some lyrics for this thursday afternoon...:)

If I die of Vanity, promise me, promise me,
    they bury me some place I don't want to be,
    you'll dig me up and transport me unceremoniously,
    away from the swollen city-breeze, garbage-bag trees,
    whispers of disease and acts of enormity
    and lower me slowly, sadly, and properly
    Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy

love it :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Me too! The music on that tune is so upbeat and poppy, but the lyrics have such an emotional vibe to them, and that last line is so powerful, it's like a punch to the gut. Such a beautiful song. The Weakerthans are easily one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and I think Samson is a genius. I just wish they wouldn't take so damn long in between albums. It's been 3 years since they gave us Reconstruction Site, and I'm thinking it's time for some new music from the boys. I've read that John is notoriously slow when it comes to songwriting and he likes to take his time. Anybody have any news on those guys?? Their website hasn't been updated since September.

And while we're on the subject of lyrics that choke me up:

"You are ahead by a century,
    and disappointing you's gettin' me down."

John was at a show I went to the other week. I should ask him whats up with new music if I see him around again.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • hey guys!
    i got a copy of the bootleg from the Dec 3, 2000 show at the ACC, and there's a woman who joins Gord to sing Flamenco, but they don't say who it is - and i can't find any references to it...

anyone know?
  • hey guys!
    i got a copy of the bootleg from the Dec 3, 2000 show at the ACC, and there's a woman who joins Gord to sing Flamenco, but they don't say who it is - and i can't find any references to it...

anyone know?

hey ceg, my guess is that is kate fenner. i think that was the tour they did with her...pretty sure they did flamenco here as well with her on that one :)
  • flamenco in buffalo with kate fenner...someone posted this before i think, but why not post it again, eh? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c69gMP8TqzI
  • flamenco in buffalo with kate fenner...someone posted this before i think, but why not post it again, eh? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c69gMP8TqzI

thanks mooks! i'll check this out when i get home tonight.... :D

i knew if it had anything to do with Flamenco, you'd know it! ;)
  • thanks mooks! i'll check this out when i get home tonight.... :D

i knew if it had anything to do with Flamenco, you'd know it! ;)

hahaha, of course! :D
    Just to celebrate the fact that it's Friday, here are some more lyrics:

"I want a book that'll make me drunk,
    full of freaks and disenfranchised punks.
    No amount of hate, no load of junk,
    No bag of words, no costume trunk
    could make me feel the same way,
    An inch an hour, two feet a day.
    To move through night in this most
    fashionable way."

-Tom Waits