Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    locked wrote:
    he normally does a quasi "strip tease" peeling off the layers...

ohh! now i really AM intrigued! :D;):o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Manimal wrote:
    It a Bowie cover. I think the Velvet Underground played it too?

It's also been covered by jeff and stone's first band Green River

Counting down the days till row 10 floor oshawa my hometown
    also got decent seats for the ACC show
    i'm thinking about bringing a Thugs sign for Oshawa or a sign with any song on it that hasn't got much play on the canadian tour

I know it's a stretch to bring a sign and have the song played, the hip really arn't one's for switchin up a set mid show like PJ for a request but i can only try
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    lukin420 wrote:
    It's also been covered by jeff and stone's first band Green River

Counting down the days till row 10 floor oshawa my hometown
    also got decent seats for the ACC show
    i'm thinking about bringing a Thugs sign for Oshawa or a sign with any song on it that hasn't got much play on the canadian tour

I know it's a stretch to bring a sign and have the song played, the hip really arn't one's for switchin up a set mid show like PJ for a request but i can only try

better advice..

hang out early before the show and try to find Gord Sinclair. He writes the setlists before the shows and is very open to suggestions..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    I was eating lunch while reading all of your replies. =/

civ_eng_girl, sorry, I love the Hip's music, but Gordie just doesn't cry out "Take me, I'm yours" to me. *laugh* And the sweat issue.. I feel almost compelled to bring a bunch of shirts with me to the Who show and throw them up to Gordie in hopes he will change them every song or two! I've seen men bucking logs, moving rocks, etc, for a full day who didn't sweat as much as he did during the very first song. I don't mean to be negative, it's just that for some reason, this image has lingered in my head every day since NYE. I have to figure out a way to make it disappear. I guess going to another show isn't the answer, but for some reason I *MUST* go. =)

It was much nicer to see Mr. Downie the morning after the show on NYE.. He appeared to be clean and dry. =P

I'm gonna make some great shirts for the March 5th gig and wear them proudly. Still thinking of ideas for those.. Any artists here that want to submit some ideas? Something that will work well in a 4 color silk screen. Seriously, I would love the help. Maybe you could do something using "sweat" as a theme!

Peace

P.S. Anyone who can make some kewl art for T-shirts, I will definitely send a few of the finished product your way if I use your ideas.
    Just me
  • locked wrote:
    better advice..

hang out early before the show and try to find Gord Sinclair. He writes the setlists before the shows and is very open to suggestions..!

Good Idea seein it's my hometown i'll have all day to stalk out the boys lol

I think FIREWORKS will be a guarented song in oshawa because Gordie's favourite player is Bobby Orr
    Bobby played his Junior A hockey in Oshawa for the Generals
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Setlist- Kamloops, BC, 01/10/07:

Rink
    New Orleans
    Summer
    Good Life
    The Drop-Off
    Boots Or Hearts
    In View
    Poets
    Long Time
    World C.
    Springtime
    Meridian
    ABAC
    Kids
    Fully
    Wheat
    Family Band
    50 Mission
    Fire
    --
    On A Night Like This (Bob Dylan cover)
    Ocean
    Blow
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    man you guys are getting me so stoked for these shows, going sunday in edmonton and tuesday in Red Deer, can't wait.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    just got back from FRONT ROW CENTRE in Kamloops....holy shit.

what a great show, being that close is amazing, it was my first time being in the front row for anyshow and it is what it is cracked up to be. my 9th hip show total was a great one.....good to hear 50 mission cap cuz i didnt hear that in vancouver in november, (went to 3 of the 4)...

.great great version of wheat kings...

right near the end a guy in an avocado blue shirt snuck into the front row, he was wasted and we partied, i was wearing a hip shirt and him , a pj one...

great time had by all.

its a good life if you dont weaken was fantastic, lots of eye contact with gord!! fire in the hole was a highlight, hundredth meridian too! i love these guys! family band kicks ass live!

have fun at all the upcoming shows!!!!!

just saw the setilist above....springtime in vienna!!! what a treat..!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    restlesssoul .. Did you get any Gord sweat on ya? *laugh*

Sounds like a kick-ass show. Congrats on front row. I desperately need to hear Fiddler's Green, 38 years old and Long Time Running live. I'm gonna cross my fingers really tightly in hopes of any/all of those in March. I know my chances are slim just because as an opener they won't play a very long set. Send some vibes my way, ok?

Peace
    Just me
    ZANNE.....actually a little sweat, yes...there was enough to go around! hes a machine up there! i got fiddlers green in vancity and i see that they have played it live since, in victoria...i was really hoping for 38yrs last night, but oh well. the commodore 38yrs old was something else! man it was great.

good luck....im sending the vibes, right..............NOW!

who are they opening for? THE WHO? if so, that show is gonna be awesome? san diego right?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    Thank you!

I missed your last line there.. Yeah opening for the Who, but in Chicago in March. There is a show in SD, but I won't be in attendance there.
    Just me
  • I am seeing the Hip live in a few weeks. I get to work backstage at one of their shows. Lucky me :D
    "If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend" - STP

"Frugality without creativity is deprivation." - Amy Dacyczyn

Proud Supporter of the CAROLINA HURRICANES. GO CANES GO!!!
    I am seeing the Hip live in a few weeks. I get to work backstage at one of their shows. Lucky me :D

Good. Ask them to play Fiddlers Green, 38 yrs old and Long Time Running in IL in March for me, k? =)

Congrats
    Just me
    *bump*

More setlists!

CN Centre, Prince George, BC, 01/12/07:

The Lonely End Of The Rink
    My Music At Work
    Grace, Too
    Lake Fever
    The Drop Off
    Bobcaygeon
    In View
    Poets
    Flamenco
    World Container
    Fireworks
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    38 Years Old
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Gift Shop
    Ahead By A Century
    Yer Not The Ocean
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    On The Verge
    It Makes No Difference (Bob Dylan)
    Family Band
    Little Bones

Canada Games Arena, Grand Prairie, AB, 01/13/07:

Lonely End of the Rink
    NOIS
    Fully Completely
    Gus
    Family Band
    Boots or Hearts
    Putting Down
    Courage
    Long Time Running
    Pretend
    Something On
    At the Hundredth Meridian
    Ahead by a Century
    In View
    Nautical Disaster
    Wheat Kings
    Yer Not the Ocean
    50 Mission Cap
    Fire in the Hole
    I Can Only Give You Everything (Them cover)
    Fireworks
    Blow
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    my buddy just called me from the Edmonton gig a few minutes ago screamin bobcaygeon in my ear (could barely hear the band)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
    Gotta love Youtube! Here's some live footage from the Victoria show:

Wheat Kings (complete with a beautiful solo by Robby):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn7GuzkIsA

Fiddler's Green:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3YETlz5Ag

Bobcaygeon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMyq_SsXJvU

-Tom Waits
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    my buddy just called me from the Edmonton gig a few minutes ago screamin bobcaygeon in my ear (could barely hear the band)

Just got back the show was great (duh) but I couldn't get into it and it pissed me off. We had kind of shit seats and everyone around was sitting all quiet and boring it drove me mad because I wanted to rock out but wasn't feeling it. On the bright side the rocked teh shit out of family band and the dropoff, and world container sounded so much better live than on the record (although I must admit it has been growing on me). Can't wait till red Deer hopfully better seats will =better time. I miss ten club at shows like this, nothing compares too rocking out and not being head and shoulders more excited for the band.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

mrwalkerb wrote:
    Just got back the show was great (duh) but I couldn't get into it and it pissed me off. We had kind of shit seats and everyone around was sitting all quiet and boring it drove me mad because I wanted to rock out but wasn't feeling it. On the bright side the rocked teh shit out of family band and the dropoff, and world container sounded so much better live than on the record (although I must admit it has been growing on me). Can't wait till red Deer hopfully better seats will =better time. I miss ten club at shows like this, nothing compares too rocking out and not being head and shoulders more excited for the band.

The Hip actually have a pre-sale system similar to Pearl Jam's. All you have to do is register at thehip.com and you can get access to tickets before they go on sale to the general public. If you're quick on the draw the morning they go on sale, you can get pretty damn good seats. During the '04 arena tour I ended up with 6th row on the floor for the Calgary show. It was amazing.

-Tom Waits
    First leg of U.S. tour announced!

02/26/07: Long Beach Arena Long Beach, CA (w/ The Who)
    02/28/07: US Airways Center Phoenix, AZ (w/ The Who)
    03/01/07: ipayOne Center at the Sports Arena San Diego, CA (w/ The Who)
    03/05/07: The Sears Centre Hoffman Estates, IL (w/ The Who)
    03/06/07: Conseco Fieldhouse Indianapolis, IN (w/ The Who)
    03/08/07: Harro East Ballroom Rochester, NY
    03/09/07: Town Ballroom Buffalo, NY
    03/10/07: Town Ballroom Buffalo, NY
    03/13/07: Roxy Theatre Atlanta, GA
    03/15/07: Scout Bar Houston, TX
    03/16/07: Palladium Ballroom Dallas, TX
    03/19/07: Gothic Theatre Denver, CO
    03/21/07: House Of Blues Las Vegas, NV
    03/26/07: The Fillmore San Francisco, CA
    03/28/07: Roseland Theatre Portland, OR
    03/29/07: Moore Theatre Seattle, WA
    04/12/07: State Theater Detroit, MI
    04/16/07: Higher Ground South Burlington, VT
    04/17/07: Higher Ground South Burlington, VT
    04/18/07: Northern Lights Clifton Park, NY
    04/20/07: Avalon Boston, MA
    04/24/07: Irving Plaza New York, NY
    04/25/07: Irving Plaza New York, NY
    04/28/07: Theatre of Living Arts Philadephia, PA
    04/29/07: 9:30 Club Washington, DC

For ticket details, go here:
    http://thehip.com/touring.html

I'd better hurry up and get my freakin' passport! What a pain in the ass. I'm gonna miss the good old days when all you needed was a photo ID to cross the border.

-Tom Waits
    I should also add that World Container is finally being released in the U.S. on Tuesday, March 6th. And just for fun, here's last night's setlist from Rexall Place in Edmonton. They sure like opening with "Lonely End of the Rink". I think they've kicked off every show on this tour with that tune. Not that I'm complaining.

Rink
    NOIS
    Grace
    Good Life
    Drop Off
    ABAC
    In View
    Poets
    Fiddler's
    World
    Lionized
    100th
    Bobcaygeon
    Family Band
    Springtime
    Scared
    Ocean
    Pistols
    Blow
    Summer Side of Life (Gordon Lightfoot cover)
    Little Bones

-Tom Waits
    god i love hearing lionized at a show. have decided to go to the moore theatre in seattle to see the boys. anyboyd been there? good venue?

it will be my 10th hip show. 5th in the last 3months!

anyways, i am registered with the hip.com and got pre sale for the commodore shows, how can i get presale for the moore theatre show????

direwolf? help.
    my boycott has ended:

"happy hour, happy hour, hap=py hour is here!"

now free up the goddamn itunes bootlegs for US users!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    so Gord's doing cover songs as the first encore at every show..

LOVE IT!!!

Like to see him do "BEDS ARE BURNING" to satisfy all the Midnight Oil comparisons..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    locked wrote:
    my boycott has ended:

congrats locked!! you must be so excited! :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    congrats locked!! you must be so excited! :D

you have no idea what its like to be a Hip maniac in Boston..

Its like living in a cardboard box that taped shut with a Hip party
    going on outside..

(world container, eh?)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    locked wrote:
    you have no idea what its like to be a Hip maniac in Boston..

Its like living in a cardboard box that taped shut with a Hip party
    going on outside..

(world container, eh?)
    I know I shouldn't but...:rolleyes: that just reminded me of a Sponge Bob episode, and the sad part is you probably know exactly which one:D
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • locked wrote:
    my boycott has ended:

awesome! :D

great date too! ;)
    imspinnin wrote:
    I know I shouldn't but...:rolleyes: that just reminded me of a Sponge Bob episode, and the sad part is you probably know exactly which one:D

that is my FAVORITE episode..

when they are pretending to be buried by an avalanche...

(I HAVE NO HANDS!)

LMAO!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    direwolf74 wrote:
    The Hip actually have a pre-sale system similar to Pearl Jam's. All you have to do is register at thehip.com and you can get access to tickets before they go on sale to the general public. If you're quick on the draw the morning they go on sale, you can get pretty damn good seats. During the '04 arena tour I ended up with 6th row on the floor for the Calgary show. It was amazing.

Yeah I have presale tickets for tonight in Red Deer but since I couldn't afford to pay for both I just bought for this show and used some connections I used to have at the radio station to "win" tickets to the edmonton gig
    Chris Cornell

• not4unot4u Posts: 512
    damn, i thought i already posted in this thread but i guess not.
    Hip Rule!
    we don't want war, but we still want more?