Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Todd76 wrote:
    Sarah did a great version of Lodestar - where she sat in on the drums..... Hip Fans: If you have never heard "LODESTAR" by Sarah Harmer - check it out NOW.....one of my all time favs

"Lodestar" is about as close to songwriting perfection as you can get. Just an absolutely beautiful song. Glad you enjoyed the show. The videos I've seen on Youtube are very cool and it looked like a great night of music.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • i went to 3 of 4 shows at commodore in vancouver in nov. gor front row to kamloops. anybody else going to loops?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    Hey gang! Do yourselves a favor and go here:

http://www.thehip.com/Media.html

click on "club gigs" to watch the video footage.

If the picture gets stuck, you have to click on "media" again and start over by clicking "club gigs" again. It's kind of annoying, but you can fast-forward to where you left off, so it's not so bad. Enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

watch closely at the beginning and you'll notice Sam Roberts shaking hands and giving the boys high-fives as they head to the stage. Very cool.

Here's a list of what's on the video:

Commodore Ballroom: May 2006
    The Lonely End Of The Rink
    Fully Completely
    Twist My Arm

Rehearsal:
    Greasy Jungle
    The Rules
    The Drop-Off
    Goodnight Josephine

Live: Belleville, Ontario - June 21st, 2006:
    Something On

Live: (I think May 26th Commodore, but not sure)
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    My birthday song on http://www.thehip.com - Bobcaygeon!! one of my faves :)

Wow.. Haven't been around in a while and I missed your birthday... but guess what? You missed mine, too. Whooda thunk we were both Sags lol

Peace sista.
    Just me
  • Zanne wrote:
    Wow.. Haven't been around in a while and I missed your birthday... but guess what? You missed mine, too. Whooda thunk we were both Sags lol

Peace sista.

hmmmm.... coincidence, i think not! :D

happy belated to you too!

and girl - have an amazing time on New Year's Eve!!

we want a full report when you get home.... and hopefully some footage on youtube so we can see YOU on t.v.!! ;):D

xo
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~

we want a full report when you get home.... and hopefully some footage on youtube so we can see YOU on t.v.!! ;):D

xo

I second that!

-Tom Waits
    hmmmm.... coincidence, i think not! :D

happy belated to you too!

xo

Trying to figure out how to get a camera into the HOB.. but I will be recording the local TV station's broadcast while I'm out.. So I should at least get something there. I fully plan to be front row.. Odd thing that Americans don't appreciate The Hip like the Canadians do.. but it just means better luck for me.. plus I booked a room at the HOB with a friend and my boyfriend and bought the dinner pkgs for all three of us.. we will get pass the line early entry both ways. I plan to dig my heels in at the front and hold on tight if need be. I will definitely give you the low-down on the show when I get home the next day. If I'm lucky, I'll get to give Gordie a hug! lol

It's so soon now! I can't wait!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Just me
    *BUMP*

Just two more days now!
    Just me
    Zanne wrote:
    *BUMP*

Just two more days now!

$20 says they play "Last of the Unplucked Gems" just before the clock strikes midnight. They did that in Toronto at the ACC for NYE '99. Then, as balloons and confetti rained down from the ceiling they played "Ahead by a Century" as the first song of the new millenium. It was brilliant. I'll never forget that show. People were freaked out by the whole Y2K thing, and there was a weird energy in the crowd. We thought the power might go out at midnight and all hell would break loose, lol. But of course nothing happened and everything turned out fine. Ahh...memories. The Chicago show is gonna be amazing, and I wish I could be there. Feel free to post a review when you get back!

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    $20 says they play "Last of the Unplucked Gems" just before the clock strikes midnight. They did that in Toronto at the ACC for NYE '99. Then, as balloons and confetti rained down from the ceiling they played "Ahead by a Century" as the first song of the new millenium. It was brilliant. I'll never forget that show. People were freaked out by the whole Y2K thing, and there was a weird energy in the crowd. We thought the power might go out at midnight and all hell would break loose, lol. But of course nothing happened and everything turned out fine. Ahh...memories. The Chicago show is gonna be amazing, and I wish I could be there. Feel free to post a review when you get back!

Ahead by a Century.. I really really wanna hear this song.. and a few others *laugh* O.K. alot of others. =)
    I will post a review.. I am bringing a girlfriend that has never had any experience with the Hip (she is a fellow PJ fan). I will have her post her thoughts on it, too.

Peace
    Just me
    Setlist- House of Blues, Chicago, New Years Eve '06:

Rink
    New O
    Gus
    Fully
    Bobcaygeon
    Meridian
    2007 cheer ---- back into meridian
    Poets
    ABAC
    In View
    Courage
    Springtime
    Good Life
    Kids
    Grace
    Ocean
    Nautical
    Wheat
    Blow
    Family Band
    Pretend
    Fireworks

-Tom Waits
    I'm not home yet.. Just got on to some open wireless network accessible from the HOB, but I had to hop on and say that I got to meet Gordie and shake his hand this morning! WOOHOO! He told me "nice hoodie" (I bought one of the World Container hoodies last night and was wearing it this morning when I saw him). I had to look down and see what I was wearing when he said it. *duh* Very brief encounter, but he had little kids with him and I wanted to be discreet so as not to create a scene where other people might inundate him. Very great experience overall. I will come back later today when I am home, showered and have eaten to talk about the show. I can't wait to see the video I captured on my computer of the T.V. broadcast. I was dead center on the rail! You can't miss my boyfriend, he is 6'7". He got behind me so that another girl who was short like me could be on the rail. Everyone was hating on him because he was blocking their view.. I felt bad, but at the same time, I wanted him with me. He thought maybe he should just go to the back and make everyone happy. I'm glad he stayed becauase he was like a cage around me, protecting me. It gave me a secure feeling that no one was gonna slam into me from behind. I'm sure he could not be missed on the T.V. broadcast.

Talk to you guys soon!

Sue
    Just me
  • Zanne wrote:
    I'm not home yet.. Just got on to some open wireless network accessible from the HOB, but I had to hop on and say that I got to meet Gordie and shake his hand this morning! WOOHOO! He told me "nice hoodie" (I bought one of the World Container hoodies last night and was wearing it this morning when I saw him). I had to look down and see what I was wearing when he said it. *duh* Very brief encounter, but he had little kids with him and I wanted to be discreet so as not to create a scene where other people might inundate him. Very great experience overall. I will come back later today when I am home, showered and have eaten to talk about the show. I can't wait to see the video I captured on my computer of the T.V. broadcast. I was dead center on the rail! You can't miss my boyfriend, he is 6'7". He got behind me so that another girl who was short like me could be on the rail. Everyone was hating on him because he was blocking their view.. I felt bad, but at the same time, I wanted him with me. He thought maybe he should just go to the back and make everyone happy. I'm glad he stayed becauase he was like a cage around me, protecting me. It gave me a secure feeling that no one was gonna slam into me from behind. I'm sure he could not be missed on the T.V. broadcast.

Talk to you guys soon!

Sue

right on, right on! you got to meet the man! :) thanks for sharing the story.
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey, I found it! "Summerside of Life" featuring the Hip, Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards, Sam Roberts, Matt Mays, and Buck 65. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuhNs1WA-0

superb! i'm just now getting around to checking this out...i thought i watched it before for some reason...oh, sarah....:)

thanks direwolf. :)
    right on, right on! you got to meet the man! :) thanks for sharing the story.

Mookie.. there's so much more to tell, I have been super sick since late Monday and I haven't got the energy to post it all. I will get to it soon.. Started taking an antibiotic today that is making me feel worse.. adding symptoms I didn't have before I took it (if you know what I mean) ugh.

Peace
    Just me
  • Zanne wrote:
    Mookie.. there's so much more to tell, I have been super sick since late Monday and I haven't got the energy to post it all. I will get to it soon.. Started taking an antibiotic today that is making me feel worse.. adding symptoms I didn't have before I took it (if you know what I mean) ugh.

Peace

sorry to hear that you are ill, but i know exactly what you mean. i had a bad ear infection once and took a bad reaction to some antibiotics...felt way worse than before. so i hope you are feeling better very soon. :)
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Zanne wrote:

Talk to you guys soon!

Sue

WAH!! Sue!
    Sounds like an amazing night! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.... ooohhh... i'm so jealous of all you folks that have met Gord!! :D

I hope you feel better soon.... get well, so you can post us a link to your video!! I wanna see!! :D
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    not to bring anyone down but after much rellection, I have decided to officially boycott all things Tragically Hip until they make their "Live Series" available on the US version of i-tunes..

Just can understand what they are getting out of torturing longtime US Hip bootleg collectors like me..

I mean, enough is enough!

If they don't want my money... I'll spend it on PJ boots...!

I even tried to log onto the Canadian i-tunes but they require a canadian billing address!

(and as much as I appreciate anyone from Canda's B&P offers, its the principle of the thing that's driving this...)

See you all sometime in the Spring..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    not to bring anyone down but after much rellection, I have decided to officially boycott all things Tragically Hip until they make their "Live Series" available on the US version of i-tunes..

Just can understand what they are getting out of torturing longtime US Hip bootleg collectors like me..

I mean, enough is enough!

If they don't want my money... I'll spend it on PJ boots...!

I even tried to log onto the Canadian i-tunes but they require a canadian billing address!

(and as much as I appreciate anyone from Canda's B&P offers, its the principle of the thing that's driving this...)

See you all sometime in the Spring..

lol! sorry to hear about your frustration, locked! :(

i can relate to your story... however, my frustration is with stupid f***ing i-tunes in general!! i say boycott the whole thing! :cool:

i recently bought the new EP from the lovely Holly McNarland from i-tunes, to discover that i can't put those silly .m4a files (or whatever) onto my mp3 player, because it's not an i-pod!! :confused: i thought i-tunes gave you mp3's?? am i the only loser that didn't know this? :o

so, now i have the EP that i can't load into my player, and can't burn to a disk... it's stuck on my computer, and i'm pissed! :p

lol....
  • lol! sorry to hear about your frustration, locked! :(

i can relate to your story... however, my frustration is with stupid f***ing i-tunes in general!! i say boycott the whole thing! :cool:

i recently bought the new EP from the lovely Holly McNarland from i-tunes, to discover that i can't put those silly .m4a files (or whatever) onto my mp3 player, because it's not an i-pod!! :confused: i thought i-tunes gave you mp3's?? am i the only loser that didn't know this? :o

so, now i have the EP that i can't load into my player, and can't burn to a disk... it's stuck on my computer, and i'm pissed! :p

lol....

pain in the ass, eh? sorry to hear about that ceg. too much going on with different formats and what not these days. it's a mess. i like it simple...give me a cd or an album that i can play so that i know the sound is good and there are no skips or rice crispies in the tunes.

p.s. holly! :)
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    On a more Tragically Hip related note.

Saw my 8th show lastnight in Victoria. What a great band, and a solid setlist. Was anybody else there?
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
    i have to ask..
    what's "Queen Bitch" from on the setlist ????
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    locked wrote:
    i have to ask..
    what's "Queen Bitch" from on the setlist ????

It a Bowie cover. I think the Velvet Underground played it too?
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
    Howdy folks! Here's the full setlist from the Victoria show:

Rink
    New O
    Fully
    Lake Fever
    Drop-Off
    Bobcaygeon
    In View
    Poets
    Fiddler's
    World Container
    Springtime
    Meridian
    ABAC
    Kids
    Grace
    Wheat
    Music At Work
    Ocean
    Blow

Queen Bitch (David Bowie cover)
    Family Band
    Bones

-Tom Waits
    Hey.. I'm feeling a little bit healthier now. I swear, Gord's handshake kicked my ass! =P

civ_eng_girl.. Did you get your files converted with that little program I linked ya? I hope so.

On to what I really wanna talk about now.. Whoda thunk, that after my first time getting to see the Hip, I get to see them AGAIN in a short while opening for the Who! I got tix this morning, 2nd row center stage on the floor (Chicago). It just doesn't get too much better than this.. only if Ed would come and sing a duet with Roger, eh? If that happened I could die a happy woman. Either way.. it's gonna be a night to remember.

There's something I wanted to ask you all about.. those who have been up close for Hip shows.. Does Gordie ALWAYS sweat like that and not change his shirts? Cause I have to be honest here, that really grossed me out. Within the span of 3 songs, he went from sweat beginning to form on the back of his shirt, to being fully drenched and it dripping off the shirt, soaking his entire groin area, and literally dripping off the end of his guitar.. By the end of the show, it was dripping from the brim of his cap. I really think he needs to change his shirts every few songs because in all honesty, the sheer volume of sweat was a distraction from the show! Am I the only one who noticed this?

I'll have to get that captured file up from the TV broadcast, but I went looking back at other video clips online and it is the same in those as well.

Thoughts?

Peace =)
    Just me
    Zanne wrote:
    Hey.. I'm feeling a little bit healthier now. I swear, Gord's handshake kicked my ass! =P

civ_eng_girl.. Did you get your files converted with that little program I linked ya? I hope so.

On to what I really wanna talk about now.. Whoda thunk, that after my first time getting to see the Hip, I get to see them AGAIN in a short while opening for the Who! I got tix this morning, 2nd row center stage on the floor (Chicago). It just doesn't get too much better than this.. only if Ed would come and sing a duet with Roger, eh? If that happened I could die a happy woman. Either way.. it's gonna be a night to remember.

There's something I wanted to ask you all about.. those who have been up close for Hip shows.. Does Gordie ALWAYS sweat like that and not change his shirts? Cause I have to be honest here, that really grossed me out. Within the span of 3 songs, he went from sweat beginning to form on the back of his shirt, to being fully drenched and it dripping off the shirt, soaking his entire groin area, and literally dripping off the end of his guitar.. By the end of the show, it was dripping from the brim of his cap. I really think he needs to change his shirts every few songs because in all honesty, the sheer volume of sweat was a distraction from the show! Am I the only one who noticed this?

I'll have to get that captured file up from the TV broadcast, but I went looking back at other video clips online and it is the same in those as well.

Thoughts?

Peace =)

LOL, That's nothing new. He sweats like that at every show. This reminds me of a funny quote from an old Muchmusic interview:

VJ: "I noticed you work up quite a sweat when you perform. That's only one song! What do you think you'll be like at the end of the show?"

Gord: "I'll be sweaty."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    LOL, That's nothing new. He sweats like that at every show. This reminds me of a funny quote from an old Muchmusic interview:

VJ: "I noticed you work up quite a sweat when you perform. That's only one song! What do you think you'll be like at the end of the show?"

Gord: "I'll be sweaty."

I mean.. this man sweat like I've never seen ANYONE else sweat. I wonder how he keeps from dehydrating on stage with that much water loss, let alone how he keeps his electrolytes in balance. I'm so obsessed with this.. I would swear it was a medical condition that needs treatment! It was that bad.

So Gord, if you ever read this and wanna look into what might be making you sweat 1000 times more than any other human being, get in touch with me. The Internal Med Doctor that I work for would try to get to the root of the problem, no charge.. just for the sake of science *laugh*
    Just me
    Zanne wrote:

Hey Z!
    Glad you're feeling better!

I tried the program you sent... turns out i was mistaken... they weren't m4a files, they were m4p files... so it didn't work after all, but it was my fault! Thanks anyways though! :D I did get the tunes converted eventually - had to burn them to a disk, and the re-upload them to my computer.... simple actually, but a pain to figure out... :eek:

lol! sweaty Gord! is it strange that i find that kind of alluring?? ;)
    only two more weeks until the Barrie show!! 9th row floors! I'll bring a towel! :p
  • Zanne wrote:

Thoughts?

Peace =)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/segmentedpaintings/gord.jpg?t=1168524868

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/segmentedpaintings/gord2.jpg?t=1168524921

;)
    he normally does a quasi "strip tease" peeling off the layers..to mitigate the sweat..

On a couple of boots he mentions saving shirts "for aftershow"..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford