Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• locked wrote:
    ok Canucks...

why is "Boots or Hearts" as facination with you guys...?

There's no bigger Hip fan on this forum but that song sounds like a bad country tune to me...

What's the attraction?

I don't get it...

'cuz it's fun! :)

makes me want to pull on my cowboy boots and dance a two-step, y'all!

;):D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    'cuz it's fun! :)

makes me want to pull on my cowboy boots and dance a two-step, y'all!

;):D

"*sigh*.. That's a shame.."

(George from Seinfield)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    "*sigh*.. That's a shame.."

(George from Seinfield)

lol! i'm only kidding.... i don't own cowboy boots... :rolleyes:
    and i've only two-stepped once in my life - and i was in Regina, Saskatchewan, so really - there was very little else to do... ;):D

it's just a catchy little tune... :) reminds me of Stuck In The Middle With You.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yeah Boots or Hearts is a classic.. always loved that song. theres obviously a country bluesy feel to it.. but theres a lot of good country.. just not pop country crap like Save a horse ride a cowboy..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • locked wrote:
    LOOK at these setlists..!
    This may be the best tour EVER!???

too bad you couldn't make it man...both shows were awesome..my ears still hurt !..lol
    Master of Zen
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    locked wrote:
    ok Canucks...

why is "Boots or Hearts" as facination with you guys...?

There's no bigger Hip fan on this forum but that song sounds like a bad country tune to me...

What's the attraction?

I don't get it...

I've liked "Boots or Hearts" since I first heard it in 1989. From a songwriting standpoint I agree it's not their greatest moment. Far from it. But just listen to that acoustic guitar! I believe it's Paul playing the main riff, and I think it's freakin' brilliant. I'm also a big fan of Robby's slide work on that tune. A song like "Boots" is just proof that the Hip can play ANY style and make it sound cool, whether it's rock, blues, folk, metal, country, punk-rock, piano ballads...they can do it all!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    too bad you couldn't make it man...both shows were awesome..my ears still hurt !..lol

word!

did you buy any concert gear??

do tell!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    word!

did you buy any concert gear??

do tell!

Unfortunetly I didn't get any concert gear..never really do actually...all 17 Hip shows I've been to and all 8 PJ shows I haven't..I have a weird thing for not liking to over pay for stuff like that..Like at a strip joint..I usually don't go very often but never get those backstage lapdances for between 40-120$..lol..

Anyhow of what I did see for sale there looked good.. I should splurge once in a awhile and at least buy a T-shirt !...Usually spend my $$ at shows on beer,mary jane,food etc...lol...

Both nights I was on the floor right up front to the right about 8 feet from the stage , so close I can see Gord sweat..lol..but on night 1 in Montreal was the first time in a long long time that I saw some people crowd surf...lol..man...brings me back
    Master of Zen
    night 1 in Montreal was the first time in a long long time that I saw some people crowd surf...lol..man...brings me back

"Crowd surfing went out with acid wash."

-Gord Downie

I used to love crowd surfing and moshing when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I'm a small guy, so I was always able to stay up there for minutes at a time. It was great. But I'm 32 now, and I couldn't imagine doing that crap anymore. The band hates it now. At the Spokane show in '04, Gord lectured the jackasses up front who were pushing/shoving and trying to crowd surf: "there's a brave line of young women getting crushed up here, and that's not cool at all. You won't get laid doing that shit." It was hilarious. After that the crowd surfing stopped.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    locked wrote:
    WOW!

I know. I just about shat myself when they started playing Last Of The Unplucked Gems. I have a bootleg of that show if anyone is interested

[2002-10-01] Winnipeg, Manitoba

1. Use It Up
    2. My Music At Work
    3. New Orleans Is Sinking
    4. Grace, Too
    5. The Darkest One
    6. Lake Fever
    7. Silver Jet
    8. Courage
    9. Daredevil
    10. It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    11. Poets
    12. A Beautiful Thing
    13. At The Hundredth Meridian
    14. Ahead By A Century
    15. The Last Of The Unplucked Gems
    16. The Dire Wolf
    17. Gift Shop
    18. Little Bones
    19. Are You Ready
    20. Wheat Kings
    21. Blow At High Dough

the show was in a seated theatre, so the sound quality is good, albiet a little quiet. Crowd is REALLY into this one. NOIS was a surprise that early and Daredevil is amazing. Wheat Kings is great as always and At The Hundredth Meridian is on of the best versions I've heard.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    "Crowd surfing went out with acid wash."

-Gord Downie

I used to love crowd surfing and moshing when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I'm a small guy, so I was always able to stay up there for minutes at a time. It was great. But I'm 32 now, and I couldn't imagine doing that crap anymore. The band hates it now. At the Spokane show in '04, Gord lectured the jackasses up front who were pushing/shoving and trying to crowd surf: "there's a brave line of young women getting crushed up here, and that's not cool at all. You won't get laid doing that shit." It was hilarious. After that the crowd surfing stopped.

Oh I agree...I'm 30 and wouldn't do that shit either..did like you said in my late teens early 20's..Just surprised seeing it..like I said..it's been a long long time since I've seen that
    Master of Zen
    I don't think I've ever seen crowd surfing at a Hip show. Maybe when I saw them at the Forks, but the crowd was way too big to tell
    ediger wrote:
    I don't think I've ever seen crowd surfing at a Hip show. Maybe when I saw them at the Forks, but the crowd was way too big to tell

There was plenty of crowd surfing and moshing in the early days, especially at GA shows or outdoor festivals like Another Roadside Attraction. I attended dozens and dozens of rock shows in those days (that's pretty much all I did with my free time), and to this day the worst mosh pit I've ever experienced was the Hip at the Max Bell Centre in Calgary in '92. I remember showing up at school the next day and everybody who went to the show was comparing bruises. It was great fun at the time, but thankfully you don't really see it anymore.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    There was plenty of crowd surfing and moshing in the early days, especially at GA shows or outdoor festivals like Another Roadside Attraction. I attended dozens and dozens of rock shows in those days (that's pretty much all I did with my free time), and to this day the worst mosh pit I've ever experienced was the Hip at the Max Bell Centre in Calgary in '92. I remember showing up at school the next day and everybody who went to the show was comparing bruises. It was great fun at the time, but thankfully you don't really see it anymore.

Being 20, my first hip show was about 10 years ago, so if memory saves, everyone show except the one outdoor show I saw was seated. Some concerts, I want the GA floor and I want it to be moving around and a little rough, but not at a Tragically Hip show. I'm there to sip a couple of beers and enjoy the music.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y16Z8CMG

There's the 2002-10-01 Tragically Hip concert from Winnipeg
    direwolf74 wrote:

holy wow, that must have been amazing seeing em back then though!

I have a buddy who was at the show at the university in 1991.. he said it was juust before they got really really big here.. just the right size crowd.. all hardcore fans.. and I could only imagine the setlist.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    holy wow, that must have been amazing seeing em back then though!

I have a buddy who was at the show at the university in 1991.. he said it was juust before they got really really big here.. just the right size crowd.. all hardcore fans.. and I could only imagine the setlist.

Small crowds are the reason I love seeing them in the U.S. Which reminds me, I've gotta apply for my passport soon. Apparently all Canadian and U.S. citizens will need passports for crossing the border as early as January '07. I'm gonna miss the days when all you needed was picture ID.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Small crowds are the reason I love seeing them in the U.S. Which reminds me, I've gotta apply for my passport soon. Apparently all Canadian and U.S. citizens will need passports for crossing the border as early as January '07. I'm gonna miss the days when all you needed was picture ID.

Bill's Bar in 1998 was a little insane...though..

it was no bigger than half of a gymnasium with no ventilation...

I couldn't believe the Hip was on THAT stage...

Robby could hardly fit on the side..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    Bill's Bar in 1998 was a little insane...though..

it was no bigger than half of a gymnasium with no ventilation...

I couldn't believe the Hip was on THAT stage...

Robby could hardly fit on the side..

I've been to Bill's Bar a couple of times, and yeah, it's pretty damn small in there. I can't believe they played there. Didn't they do 5 shows back-to-back or something like that? They would've had to just to meet the demand. Makes me wonder why they didn't just play the Orpheum or the Somerville Theatre on that tour.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I've been to Bill's Bar a couple of times, and yeah, it's pretty damn small in there. I can't believe they played there. Didn't they do 5 shows back-to-back or something like that? They would've had to just to meet the demand. Makes me wonder why they didn't just play the Orpheum or the Somerville Theatre on that tour.

Not to one-up but ...I got back stage on 8/11/98 and asked the tour manager the same exact thing. Apparently, it was his idea to "create a buzz" about four consectutive nights "sold out" as opposed to the Hip selling out one night at a larger venue...

Since they have now gone back to playing the Avalon since then, it appears you and I won that argument..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    Not to one-up but ...I got back stage on 8/11/98 and asked the tour manager the same exact thing. Apparently, it was his idea to "create a buzz" about four consectutive nights "sold out" as opposed to the Hip selling out one night at a larger venue...

Since they have now gone back to playing the Avalon since then, it appears you and I won that argument..!

Man, I'd love to see them at the Avalon. By the way, did I mention how much I love your city? I've been there twice in the last 5 years. First time was just a road trip with friends, driving down from Ottawa and stopping in Beantown for a couple of days on our way to N.Y. (we had drinks at Bill's bar after taking in a Red Sox game at Fenway!) The second time was to see back-to-back Hip shows at the Somerville Theatre in '02. Good times. That town has so much character, and it was great to meet so many diehard local Hip fans at the shows. Seems they have a bit of a cult following in that city.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Man, I'd love to see them at the Avalon. By the way, did I mention how much I love your city? I've been there twice in the last 5 years. First time was just a road trip with friends, driving down from Ottawa and stopping in Beantown for a couple of days on our way to N.Y. (we had drinks at Bill's bar after taking in a Red Sox game at Fenway!) The second time was to see back-to-back Hip shows at the Somerville Theatre in '02. Good times. That town has so much character, and it was great to meet so many diehard local Hip fans at the shows. Seems they have a bit of a cult following in that city.

Thanks man...
    I hope I don't get any flac :) for mentioning this..
    but I am so glad they moved the venue back to Boston for 2004.

Somerville is such a dump city for them to play in..(located just on the outskirts of Boston...)

The pre-show options are endless in Boston proper..

but Somerville gets a little dicey (scary!) when the sun goes down..
    hard to get to / leave from..

Apparently. they liked Somerville because Gord's brother (who does the music for the Garden/ Fleetcenter events) lives there.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • :eek:

who's in???? :D:D

New Years Eve in Chicago

We are happy to announce that we will be celebrating
    New Years Eve in the beautiful windy city of Chicago.

The show is being taped for a live-to-air television broadcast on CBS2 in HD starting at 10:30pm (CTL)

WXRT & CBS2 Presents
    The Tragically Hip
    with Special Guests
    HOUSE OF BLUES CHICAGO
    329 N. DEARBORN STREET
    DRS 8PM
    GA Show
    Must 21 years of age or older
    Tickets: $145.00 (US$)

Pre-Sale from Wednesday November 15 @ 10:00am (CTL) until Friday November 17 @ 10:00pm (CTL)
    -- the presale is not password protected --
    Ticket Master Link

Public Onsale:
    Saturday November 18 @ 10:00am (CTL)
    Tickets available at:

Charge By Phone
    The House of Blues Box Office: 312.923.2000
    Ticketmaster Outlets: 312.559.1212
    :eek:

who's in???? :D:D

New Years Eve in Chicago

I'll tell you one thing..
    Its a sure bet you'll witness "Fiddlers Green" (for your hard earned green!)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    I'll tell you one thing..
    Its a sure bet you'll witness "Fiddlers Green" (for your hard earned green!)

lol! yah, that's a lot of dough... :eek:

god damn, that would be fun though! :D
    nice, but why so expensive?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    nice, but why so expensive?

New Years Eve gigs are always more expensive than regular shows, but $145 does seem pretty steep. Maybe it's the combination of it being an intimate club setting and a live taping for TV. The House of Blues is also a restaurant, so maybe you get dinner and champagne as well?? Who knows.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    New Years Eve gigs are always more expensive than regular shows, but $145 does seem pretty steep. Maybe it's the combination of it being an intimate club setting and a live taping for TV. The House of Blues is also a restaurant, so maybe you get dinner and champagne as well?? Who knows.

Hmm, maybe... I know PJ's show there was $1000! But it went to a Katrina benefit
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    WICKED! I got my wish!

Just picked up two tix for NYE at the HOB in Chicago! Thank you HIP!!!!!

It's gonna be the best New Years Eve EVER!!!

peace!
    Just me
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    CIV_ENG_GIRL.. you're coming down right? RIGHT? You have a place to stay with meeeeeeee!

Come on. We can see Fiddlers Green together!

=)))))))))

P.S. I already sent an email to MAv to remind him he better come for that tall beer I promised him. lol

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just me