Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    lukin420 wrote:
    I'v been lookin at this hip thread for about a year an have never posted, now i have a reason

I got row 10 floor seats for Oshawa my hometown(maybe i shouldn't admit that lol)

I'm suprised these seats came up i thought the hip fan club would have eaten these seats up.

Also grabbed decent 100 level seats for the ACC

So far with the 4 shows this week in toronto the setlists have looked great. The 2 fort york shows in the summer had great sets hopefully they keep the rare tunes comin out for this tour.

You should join the fan club, then you wouldn't have to worry either way.

Sue
    Just me
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Calgary tommorow!!!!!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • locked wrote:
    BTW check the thread.. I predicted "puttin"..

Gotta agree, the 2006 setlist mix is one of the most epic of all tours, and I've been going to every Hip tour since august 1994..

Thank you Gord Sinclair!!

PS: Pigeon Camera from the previous 2006 show may be te first time they played that song since Gord forgot the words in the Somerville, Ma 7/28/02 show..?

Yes?

nice work...you are clairvoyant, locked, my friend! :)
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Just getting ready to head out to the first of 4 Calgary shows. I love how they're mixing up the set lists so seeing all 4 shows I figure I'll pretty much get to see everything I want except for anything from the first album which they just refuse to play anymore and I don't know why. Their music, their choice. This is one of the only other bands besides PJ that can play whatever the hell they want and I'll still love it! Damn these shows are going to be epic! I haven't seen them in such a small venue since 1991.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • rcs wrote:
    Just getting ready to head out to the first of 4 Calgary shows. I love how they're mixing up the set lists so seeing all 4 shows I figure I'll pretty much get to see everything I want except for anything from the first album which they just refuse to play anymore and I don't know why. Their music, their choice. This is one of the only other bands besides PJ that can play whatever the hell they want and I'll still love it! Damn these shows are going to be epic! I haven't seen them in such a small venue since 1991.

evelyn!!!!

small town bringdown!!!

just once...please!!! :)

enjoy the shows! :) epic indeed!
  • The new CD is getting better and better with every listen. Didn;t care for it much at first, but now it's kicking my ass. Rink might be one of their best songs ever.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Just back from the gig and my ears are ringing like crazy. Amazing show!!! Here's the setlist in order:

1. Yer Not The Ocean
    2. Three Pistols
    3. In View
    4. It's A Good Life
    5. The Drop Off
    6. Gus
    7. Poets
    8. Thugs
    9. Luv(sic)
    10. Long Time Running
    11. Pretend
    12. 100th Meridian
    13. Flamenco
    14. Fly
    15. The Kids Don't Get It
    16. Scared
    17. Family Band
    18. Blow At High Dough
    19. The Lonely End Of The Rink
    ---
    20. Last Night I Dreamed
    21. World Container
    22. Little Bones

This was definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen. The Band was on fire, Gord was ranting and sweating like a madman with his trademark spastic dance moves, and the new songs sounded incredible. Gord was beating up on his mic stand quite a bit during "100th Meridian" and ended up breaking the thing in half. It was hilarious. He also had a cool intro to Gus and talked about a Polar Bear who recently died at the Toronto Zoo. Great stuff! This new album really seems to have re-energized the band in a very positive way. They've always been incredible live, but there seems to be something a little extra special with these new songs and this current tour. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Hip are like fine wine- they only get better with age. Long may they run!

New songs that absolutely kicked my ass tonight: Rink, The Drop Off, Family Band, Luv(sic), Yer Not the Ocean, Last Night I Dreamed, The Kids Don't Get It.

Older songs that reminded me how much they kick my ass: Thugs, Three Pistols, Poets, Blow, Little Bones, Gus the Polar Bear.

Songs that were so beautiful they just about had me in tears: Long Time Running, Scared, Flamenco, World Container, Pretend, It's a Good Life.

All in all, another mind-blowing performance from the greatest rock n' roll band on the freakin' planet (yeah, that's right. I said it.) Those of you who didn't get tickets for these little club shows, I certainly hope you snagged some for the arena tour in January. And for our American friends, you guys are in for quite a treat in '07. I just might have to cross the border and join ya!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • unbelievable direwolf! :)

awesome setlist yet again! flamenco!!!!! :D

3 pistols again!, scared, long time, thugs...so many good tunes, and i simply cannot wait to hear the new tunes live. i got the impression from the set on the hour that the new tunes have given the band a new sense of youth or energy...thanks for affirming that. excellent review, as always.

congrats on seeing a killer show. :)
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    oh my god, dire!!!!!!!

that sounds like an amazing show!!! :D:D:D

Scared, Long Time Running, It's a Good Life... my top three - right there!! :eek: :D

congrats!! i can't wait to see them in the winter! :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Yup this show was badass. I got lucky enough and got a spot on the rail.
    I was there early, another story, and I talked to this guy I know who is the sound engineer. So we got a tour of the stage and sound stage and how everything is rigged. Pretty cool shit. And I will say the sound was tight, except when Gord destroyed his mic.

Great show, looking forward too tonight.
    I do have a pair of wednesday tickets if anyone is looking. I am unable to make it.
    FV of course.
    Calgary 04/09/05, Las Vegas 06/07/06, The Gorge 22/07/06 23/07/06
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Songs soundchecked in Calgary but not played yet:

Cordelia, Another Midnight, Let's Stay Engaged, Are We Family?

Let's hope they don't pull an All Those Yesterdays and leave these unplayed ... I'd love to hear Another Midnight.
    :)
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    unbelievable direwolf! :)

awesome setlist yet again! flamenco!!!!! :D

3 pistols again!, scared, long time, thugs...so many good tunes, and i simply cannot wait to hear the new tunes live. i got the impression from the set on the hour that the new tunes have given the band a new sense of youth or energy...thanks for affirming that. excellent review, as always.

congrats on seeing a killer show. :)

Holy shit batman!!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Songs soundchecked in Calgary but not played yet:

Cordelia, Another Midnight, Let's Stay Engaged, Are We Family?

Let's hope they don't pull an All Those Yesterdays and leave these unplayed ... I'd love to hear Another Midnight.
    :)

I've never seen Cordelia..
    That song is the balls!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    You nailed it direwolf74! Great review of the show! I was there last night too and it was an absolutely amazing performance. The new songs are so intense and energetic live. They are all instant classics. 2 shows down, 2 to go. Can't wait to see what they'll pull out and dust off tonight.

(The Drop Off and Yer Not the Ocean are quite possibly the best live songs ever!)
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
    rcs wrote:
    You nailed it direwolf74! Great review of the show! I was there last night too and it was an absolutely amazing performance. The new songs are so intense and energetic live. They are all instant classics. 2 shows down, 2 to go. Can't wait to see what they'll pull out and dust off tonight.

(The Drop Off and Yer Not the Ocean are quite possibly the best live songs ever!)

The Drop Off is CRAZY intense. It's just so freakin' heavy. Gord Sinclair and Johnny Fay really kick you in the nuts on that tune and Downie's vocal phrasing is awesome, especially during that kick-ass bridge part when he raps out the lyrics in double-time:

"The fates are amok and spun, measured and cut and the past is meant to please us. Yer a comet from Earth in a Kiss Alive shirt, sayin' "holy fuck, it's Jesus!" The surface is green and the dark interweaves in a lonely iridescence. It's terribly deep and the cold is complete and it only lacks a presence and nothing else."

Amazing!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Setlist- MacEwan Hall, Calgary, Oct. 30th:

family band
    courage
    in view
    lake fever
    daddy
    luv(sic)
    puttin' down
    grace
    drop-off
    gems
    kids
    fully
    fly
    sherpa
    bobcaygeon
    container
    ocean
    rink
    ---
    pretend
    escape
    fire

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    The Drop Off is CRAZY intense. It's just so freakin' heavy. Gord Sinclair and Johnny Fay really kick you in the nuts on that tune and Downie's vocal phrasing is awesome, especially during that kick-ass bridge part when he raps out the lyrics in double-time:

"The fates are amok and spun, measured and cut and the past is meant to please us. Yer a comet from Earth in a Kiss Alive shirt, sayin' "holy fuck, it's Jesus!" The surface is green and the dark interweaves in a lonely iridescence. It's terribly deep and the cold is complete and it only lacks a presence and nothing else."

Amazing!

one of my favourite (and ceg's ;) ) parts of the album...great set of lines...can't wait to hear this one live!
    one of my favourite (and ceg's ;) ) parts of the album...great set of lines...can't wait to hear this one live!

*waves!* :D
  • *waves!* :D

hey! is gene simmons in the house?!? :D
    hey! is gene simmons in the house?!? :D

I, wanna rock and roll all night.... and party ever-y day!

:p

hee hee hee... ;)
    Before Saturday, the song "Fiddler's Green" hadn't been played in 15 years. But on a cold, snowy night in Calgary at MacEwan Hall on the U of C campus in October of 2006, the Hip decided to pull it out of the vault and gave their fans a treat that they would remember forever. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Fiddler's Green", live from Calgary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzRDGeOgWw

-Tom Waits
  • Yeah this is not fro mthis tour but I think from T.O on dvd but worth a watch again..
    \
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr5uLBdz5Mc&mode=related&search=
    Master of Zen
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Before Saturday, the song "Fiddler's Green" hadn't been played in 15 years. But on a cold, snowy night in Calgary at MacEwan Hall on the U of C campus in October of 2006, the Hip decided to pull it out of the vault and gave their fans a treat that they would remember forever. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Fiddler's Green", live from Calgary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzRDGeOgWw

Thanks! Fiddler's Green is one of my two favorite Hip tunes.. along with Long Time Running. I can't wait till they (hopefully) get down here to Chicagoland so I can make BIG signs for these two songs lol.

peace!

And thank you Civ_Eng_Girl for making sure I saw this. Now, who has the original? =)
    Just me
  • saw this "gem" while watching fiddler's green. i'm amazed by the sound quality on these hip youtube files...pretty darn good! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnVLfV3GKs
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    ok so I missed out on the Calgary shows and hate myself for not having money but I am going to Red Deer and Calgary in Janurary which, while not being nearly the same, is still two nights. But the reason I am here is a simple request: if anyone who has the live series tracks could pm me I would be very gratefull and could send you someting... not sure what but I have a lot of music on my computer and a yousendit account.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Zanne wrote:
    Thanks! Fiddler's Green is one of my two favorite Hip tunes.. along with Long Time Running. I can't wait till they (hopefully) get down here to Chicagoland so I can make BIG signs for these two songs lol.

peace!

And thank you Civ_Eng_Girl for making sure I saw this. Now, who has the original? =)

any time, chicky! :D:p
  • I have officially fell in love World Container, the song (already fell in love with the album). It took awhile for a number 1 favorite to be clear but it is definitly World Container, followed closely by Family Band and Drop Off.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • is it bad that i start to giggle uncontrollably when i hear the cowbell in 50 Mission Cap?? :o

damn you, Christopher Walkin! ;):p:D
  • is it bad that i start to giggle uncontrollably when i hear the cowbell in 50 Mission Cap?? :o

HAHAHAHA....all-time greatest skit, I just wish that Jimmy wasn't always laughing.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done

He puts his pants on just like us, the only difference is, when he puts them on he makes gold records.....
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....