Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152
    Getting VERY excited about the show tomorrow night...I still can't believe I'm going to be seeing them in the Commodore!!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Setlist- Final night in Caglary, Nov. 1st:

1. Lonely End Of The Rink
    2. Twist My Arm
    3. In View
    4. Ahead by a Century
    5. Drop Off
    6. Dire Wolf
    7. Gift Shop
    8. Fly
    9. Fireworks
    10. Pretend
    11. 38 Years Old
    12. Music At Work
    13. Luv(sic)
    14. Are We Family
    15. Kids Don't Get It
    16. Greasy Jungle
    17. Yer Not the Ocean
    18. New Orleans Is Sinking
    19. Family Band
    ---
    20. Summer's Killing Us
    21. World Container
    22. Blow At High Dough

And here's some video footage of 38 Year Old. Ya gotta love Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQNC6T6bWTM
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Just came across another one. "Last of the Unplucked Gems" from Calgary, night #3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnVLfV3GKs
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Just came across another one. "Last of the Unplucked Gems" from Calgary, night #3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnVLfV3GKs

SWEEET !!!
    Man I can't wait for the 2 Montreal shows next week !..Giddy Up !
    Master of Zen
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Wow.. thanks for the all the videos.. Night 1 was AMAZING.. looks like night 4 got my favorite hip song though.. Greasy Jungle..:P

Are they making a DVD for these club shows.. the quality of these videos are nice!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- Final night in Caglary, Nov. 1st:

1. Lonely End Of The Rink
    2. Twist My Arm
    3. In View
    4. Ahead by a Century
    5. Drop Off
    6. Dire Wolf
    7. Gift Shop
    8. Fly
    9. Fireworks
    10. Pretend
    11. 38 Years Old
    12. Music At Work
    13. Luv(sic)
    14. Are We Family
    15. Kids Don't Get It
    16. Greasy Jungle
    17. Yer Not the Ocean
    18. New Orleans Is Sinking
    19. Family Band
    ---
    20. Summer's Killing Us
    21. World Container
    22. Blow At High Dough

And here's some video footage of 38 Year Old. Ya gotta love Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQNC6T6bWTM

Great setlist....... looks like it should be a kick ass show Friday!!!!

I imagine the sound in these club shows is fantastic?
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    So yea, there's quite a bit of Hip bashing going on over in the "For all Canadians" thread in the PJ section. It all started with somebody posing the question: which band is better- PJ or the Hip, and it just snowballed into one of those "my favorite band's dick is bigger than your favorite band's dick" threads. For me, music isn't a competition. I absolutely ADORE both bands, and I don't think one is better than the other. The Hip are obviously my favorite, but that doesn't mean they're a better band than PJ. They're just different. One idiot actually said the Hip haven't released anything good since the early days (including World Container) and says they should call it quits. Of course I fought the good fight and defended them as best I could, but it all fell on deaf ears. It blows my mind how ignorant some people are towards bands that evolve and change their style over the course of a long career. You'd think being PJ fans, they'd understand...but I guess not.

Oh well. I said my peace, so I'm done over there. I'm just gonna stay here from now on where it's warm and cozy and everybody likes each other. Not to mention all of you have great taste in music. I've really enjoyed chatting with you all and sharing our opinions on the new album and tour, etc... I hope this thread keeps going well into next year when the boys hit the road for their full-on world tour. I definitely expect a nice lengthy review from our good friend Locked when the Hip roll into Beantown in '07.

Long live the Hip (and Pearl Jam!)

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    So yea, there's quite a bit of Hip bashing going on over in the "For all Canadians" thread in the PJ section. It all started with somebody posing the question: which band is better- PJ or the Hip, and it just snowballed into one of those "my favorite band's dick is bigger than your favorite band's dick" threads. For me, music isn't a competition. I absolutely ADORE both bands, and I don't think one is better than the other. The Hip are obviously my favorite, but that doesn't mean they're a better band than PJ. They're just different. One idiot actually said the Hip haven't released anything good since the early days (including World Container) and says they should call it quits. Of course I fought the good fight and defended them as best I could, but it all fell on deaf ears. It blows my mind how ignorant some people are towards bands that evolve and change their style over the course of a long career. You'd think being PJ fans, they'd understand...but I guess not.

Oh well. I said my peace, so I'm done over there. I'm just gonna stay here from now on where it's warm and cozy and everybody likes each other. Not to mention all of you have great taste in music. I've really enjoyed chatting with you all and sharing our opinions on the new album and tour, etc... I hope this thread keeps going well into next year when the boys hit the road for their full-on world tour. I definitely expect a nice lengthy review from our good friend Locked when the Hip roll into Beantown in '07.

Long live the Hip (and Pearl Jam!)

...just giving you a thumbs up, direwolf. you're right on. :)

...and congrats on "dire wolf" being on the calgary setlist...pretty sweet! :D
    He puts his pants on just like us, the only difference is, when he puts them on he makes gold records.....

"Gene, this time I really want you to explore the studio space. I mean it. Explore the space!"

Best SNL skit ever! Did you guys ever see the episode with Queens of the Stone Age when Will Ferrell came out on stage and played cowbell on "Little Sister"? That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. You could tell Josh Homme was trying really hard not to laugh as he sang the song. The band seemed kind of surprised by the whole thing.

-Tom Waits
  • a little PJ/Hip story from yesterday:

my coworker Brian comes into my office yesterday, and sees the wallpaper on my screen. http://www.pbase.com/efroten/image/49455436

Brian: "let me guess... Stone?"
    Me: "nope! Mike - but you're close! I'm impressed" :)
    Brian: "i used to be hip once..." :o
    Me: "haha... really?" :rolleyes:
    Brian: "yep... tragically...." :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • a little PJ/Hip story from yesterday:

my coworker Brian comes into my office yesterday, and sees the wallpaper on my screen. http://www.pbase.com/efroten/image/49455436

Brian: "let me guess... Stone?"
    Me: "nope! Mike - but you're close! I'm impressed" :)
    Brian: "i used to be hip once..." :o
    Me: "haha... really?" :rolleyes:
    Brian: "yep... tragically...." :D

I think he may have been hitting on you......you should go for it.... ;)
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • I think he may have been hitting on you......you should go for it.... ;)

he did just split up with his wife... :rolleyes: :p

;)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,025
    red wrote:
    You know, I've seen the Hip 17 times, met them more times than I could remember, but I still haven't seen "Nautical Disaster" live.

I saw the hip last week at the U of C...

They Played Nautical ...it was amazing!!

Muddy
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
    Mudfest wrote:
    I saw the hip last week at the U of C...

They Played Nautical ...it was amazing!!

Muddy

My favorite Hip song of all time, and the crowning achievement for the band as songwriters (so far). So much emotion, passion, and dread in that song. And is it just me, or does Robby's guitar sound like it's weeping during the outro? It doesn't really have a verse, it doesn't have a chorus, and there's no bridge. Essentially it's just a verse poem set to a circular bass line and guitar riff. Very simple, really. And yet it's such a powerful song and the imagery in the lyrics is so incredibly vivid, especially that final image of fingernails scratching on the hull of the ship. It's just so damn creepy. I think it's one of the most brilliant pieces of music ever written.

"I think that song is haunted."

-Gord Downie

-Tom Waits
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    speaking of Nautical...

7/1/95 High Sierrra, California (a show so awesome that it should have been picked as their Live album in my opinion)

my favorite "Gord psycho quote" from that bootleg..

"I got this cousin , I got this cousin, he's a fuckin' skinhead...
    but he's only doing it for the threads...
    .. You wouldn't band a band from canada without a song about a nautical disaaster... this song is called nautical dis-aster"

LMAO!

Gord rules!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    direwolf74 wrote:
    My favorite Hip song of all time, and the crowning achievement for the band as songwriters (so far). So much emotion, passion, and dread in that song. And is it just me, or does Robby's guitar sound like it's weeping during the outro? It doesn't really have a verse, it doesn't have a chorus, and there's no bridge. Essentially it's just a verse poem set to a circular bass line and guitar riff. Very simple, really. And yet it's such a powerful song and the imagery in the lyrics is so incredibly vivid, especially that final image of fingernails scratching on the hull of the ship. It's just so damn creepy. I think it's one of the most brilliant pieces of music ever written.

"I think that song is haunted."

-Gord Downie

Once again direwolf you've nailed it on the head. Nautical Disaster is easily the Hip's best song ever! I love that song for every reason you listed! I've seen them play it live many times but back in '96 in Spokane I saw them do it and it actually made me weep. I don't cry easily but the emotion was just so intense. Stunning. God I love that band!!!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • "...they're turning this song into a movie
    starring peter o'toole as the curmudgeonly lighthouse keeper,
    and jodie foster in the role of susan
    ...it's called the nurse patient..."

I had this dream where I relished
    The fray and the screaming that filled my head all day
    It was as though I'd been spit there, settled in, into a pocket
    Of a lighthouse off some rocky socket,
    Off the coast of France, Dear

One afternoon, four thousand men died in the water here
    Five hundred more were thrashing madly as parasites might in you blood
    Now I was in lifeboat designed for ten and ten and only,
    Anything that systematic would get you hated.
    It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated.
    The selection was quick, the crew was picked and
    those left in the water got kicked off our pant leg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings
    You doing alright he said it's out there,most days and nights
    But only a fool would complain
    Anyway Susan if you like our conversation is as faint as the sound in my memory
    As those fingernails scratching on the hull
    rcs wrote:
    Once again direwolf you've nailed it on the head. Nautical Disaster is easily the Hip's best song ever! I love that song for every reason you listed! I've seen them play it live many times but back in '96 in Spokane I saw them do it and it actually made me weep. I don't cry easily but the emotion was just so intense. Stunning. God I love that band!!!

I totally agree... the performance of this at Sasquatch blew my mind.. along with im sure everyone around me!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i agree^
    seeing it live gave me chills
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    "Pigeon Camera" from Vancouver, 11/03/06. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ywdo-93sE

-Tom Waits
    Setlist- Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, Nov. 4th:

Family Band
    Courage
    In View
    Fever
    Drop Off
    Bob C
    Last Night
    Fully
    Pretend
    Boots
    Luv(sic)
    Music
    Kids
    Nautical
    Scared
    Ocean
    Rink

Tiger
    World
    Verge

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, Nov. 4th:

Tiger
    Verge

Holy shit!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    Holy shit!!!

indeed :)
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Before Saturday, the song "Fiddler's Green" hadn't been played in 15 years. But on a cold, snowy night in Calgary at MacEwan Hall on the U of C campus in October of 2006, the Hip decided to pull it out of the vault and gave their fans a treat that they would remember forever. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Fiddler's Green", live from Calgary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzRDGeOgWw

I was finally able to watch this clip at home (blocked at work)..

Gord is heavy with emotion (sadness) throughout this performance..
    Brought me to tears..

Can anyone tell me the backstory about the boy who died..

I never thought I'd see this played live...ever!

This is monumental in Hip-story..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Hey, what's the tour merchadise look like?

Gimme some idea of what the shirts / hoodies / sweatshirts for the World Container tour look like!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:

Brought me to tears..

I never thought I'd see this played live...ever!

This is monumental in Hip-story..

I was there for Fiddler's Green.. freakin amazing!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    I was there for Fiddler's Green.. freakin amazing!

I honestly might have fainted if I was there (really!)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:

Brought me to tears..

Here ya go, courtesy of my good buddy Stephen Dame from Ottawa, who put together arguably the coolest website about the Hip on the Internet:

http://www.hipmuseum.com/fiddlers.html

As for merchandise, they've got some pretty cool stuff on this tour. The t-shirt I bought is black and features a drawing of the human heart from the inside sleeve of the World Container lyric booklet, with "The Tragically Hip" written over top of it in white. They also had some cool hoodies and a green army style t-shirt. I didn't see any posters, but they'll probably have some of those once the official tour starts up.

-Tom Waits
    Setlist- Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, Nov. 6th:

Rink
    Twist
    Ocean
    Good Life
    Drop
    Wolf
    Gift
    Fly
    3 Pistols
    Pretend
    Flamenco
    Fireworks
    Kids
    Grace
    Last Night
    Long Time
    In View
    50 MC
    Family Band

Something On
    World
    Spring

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, Nov. 6th:

Rink
    Twist
    Ocean
    Good Life
    Drop
    Wolf
    Gift
    Fly
    3 Pistols