Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    seriously... i'm logged in. no passwords are showing up...

how did you get tickets already????
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    ok, finally... crisis averted.....

9th row Barrie! yay! :D
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 965
    for some reason when i logged in just after 9..i quickly saw a password...but then for some reason it dissapeared. so then at 10 i just tried what i saw and it worked. i got lucky i guess.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
    ok, finally... crisis averted.....

9th row Barrie! yay! :D

:o

ok, i broke down and got Oshawa too... :D
    mikesbri wrote:
    for some reason when i logged in just after 9..i quickly saw a password...but then for some reason it dissapeared. so then at 10 i just tried what i saw and it worked. i got lucky i guess.

wow! good for you! :)

it took until 10:20 before the site worked for me.... kept crashing... :(
  • Fully completly or Day for Night
    Best Hip album is?

Music@Work is my current favorite, I think ...
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Discontent wrote:
    Fully completly or Day for Night

FC..

Road apples and IVL are tie for second place..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    locked wrote:
    FC..

Road apples and IVL are tie for second place..

My favorite Hip album is always the newest one. But I still think Day for Night and Phantom Power are tied for best Hip album of all time. However, the boys seem to have hit a new stride with World Container, so who knows how many more great records they might put out. Is it possible to top a masterpiece like Day for Night? I think it is. They haven't quite done it yet, but World Container comes pretty damn close.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 965
    sorry for not reading all the pages..but how are the Hip in US, do they have a big following? play big shows? on MTV?
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
    Discontent wrote:
    Fully completly or Day for Night

Day for Night for me too...

Then IVL, and World Container....
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Fully Completely is my favorite overall hip album.. with Road Apples a really close second.

I think they should start playing Evelyn live again.. one of their oldest tunes.. but its great
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    mikesbri wrote:
    sorry for not reading all the pages..but how are the Hip in US, do they have a big following? play big shows? on MTV?

The Hip don't get any MTV play or anything like that, but they do have a big enough following that they routinely sell out large clubs and 1000-seat theatres all over the U.S. Of course their following gets a little bigger as you get closer to the border in places like Michigan, New York, Minnesota, and Washington State. But I hear they're quite popular in Texas and Arizona as well, specifically in places like Austin, Dallas, and Tucson. The folks in Texas obviously have good taste. If the Hip were to break big in the States, it probably should've happened back in 1995 when they played on SNL and toured the U.S. opening for the Rolling Stones and Page & Plant, but in the end it didn't really do much for them commercial-wise. Even with Bob Rock producing their latest album, I still don't think their fortunes will change south of the border, unless one of their songs gets played on a TV show like The O.C. or CSI and they become the flavor of the month (*shudder*), but I don't think that will ever happen. In Canada their label pretty much left them alone for 20 years and allowed them to do what they wanted- to grow and evolve as artists on their own terms. In the U.S., unless you're an indie band, that kind of natural development doesn't happen anymore. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Part of me wishes they'd get the attention they so richly deserve in the U.S., but the other part of me is glad that they're still kind of a secret. I'm able to travel across the border and see them up close and personal in smaller venues, which is the ultimate scenario if you're a diehard fan like myself who is used to seeing them sell out large 20,000 seat arenas in Canada where it's near impossible to get front row tickets.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I got 7th row on the floor for Winnipeg. I'm stoked, this is the closest I've been.

and oh yeah, Day For Night is the best Hip album. Just fantastic
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=23142

Great boot from '93 here for anyone interested!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    I finally got my computer hooked up to the internet after my move at home..

Wow.. Lots of stuff to listen to at the new Hip site but here's the imporant part..

LOVE "Yer not the Ocean" (Classic Hip song already)
    LOVE "Lonely End of the rink" (I agree, very Edge-like guitar by Robby with a little Police aka 1980's reggae sound)

In View (Sucks!)
    LOVE "Fly" (Great new direction for the band.. some of the best vocals Gordie has ever put down...)

PS: FINALLY A BOSTON SONG ON THE LIVE HIP SERIES!

Woooo Hoooo!
    ("TWIST" from my 11/2004 Avalon show: the only show that was not bootlegged by anyone!!)

Frankly the two version done at the Bill's Bar 1998 shows are much more smoking performances but beggars can't be choosers..

Let's see some live "Grace too" and "Puttin' Down" cuts added for the next series, huh?

Peace and Word out from Bah-stun!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • larslars Posts: 524
    HOW CAN THIS SUCKING BAND HAVE SO MANY POSTS....well I guess I just contributed.....shut up
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    lars wrote:
    HOW CAN THIS SUCKING BAND HAVE SO MANY POSTS....well I guess I just contributed.....shut up

"It would be better for us if you don't underSTAND!"
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    What kind of Flanders remark is that? Poor kid
    lars wrote:
    What kind of Flanders remark is that? Poor kid

Well, I could say that you've become chronolgically fucked up!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    lars wrote:

what's happening to you?
    why don't you love me like you used to?
    what's happening to you?
    why don't you love me like you used to?
    You didn´t swallow
    lars wrote:

well you are named after worlds coolest drummer

so my hat is off and i bid this thread farewell
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    lars wrote:
    You didn´t swallow

...an epic too small to be tragic....
    ...an epic too small to be tragic....
    hell yeah, but its funny
    "if you need a good connection for drugs...."?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    lars wrote:

Gord is right. The kids don't get it.

-Tom Waits
    So, back on topic: is anybody here going to any of the Calgary shows this weekend? Myself and three friends will be at the Sunday show. Needless to say, this is definitely gonna be the highlight of the year for me. It doesn't get much better than seeing the Hip in a small venue.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    So, back on topic: is anybody here going to any of the Calgary shows this weekend? Myself and three friends will be at the Sunday show. Needless to say, this is definitely gonna be the highlight of the year for me. It doesn't get much better than seeing the Hip in a small venue.

I'll be at the Saturday night show.. can't wait! I've seen so many shows there.. even bigger ones like A perfect circle and The Pixies.. this is gonna be a good one!

I'll be sure to post a review here ;)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • locked wrote:

well said, sir. :)

congrats on hearing the tunes finally! :)
  • Got my tickets for London yesterday....WOOOHOOOO.
    Pretend is my new favorite song, I can't stop listening to it.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done