Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    bharQ wrote:
    Really does the 28th have an opening act?

From what I've heard, there's no opening act for any of the shows.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I'll preface this post by saying that I am not a Hip fan....I used to be back in highschool (saw them in concert many many times and I still enjoy hearing the occasional Hip song....my little brother made me a Hip mix and I love hearing Trunk Of A Car, Pigeon Camera, Nautical Disaster, Scared, Wheat Kings, Its a Good Life etc every once in a blue moon)

BUT - their new single is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very catchy little pop ditty - hope the album is good, I dont think I would buy it (not my thing anymore) but all the diehard Hip fans deserve another classic from Gord and the boys
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    um... that's "Locked in the" Trunk of a Car

a song I know something about ..
    :)
    Todd76 wrote:
    Imy little brother made me a Hip mix and I love hearing Trunk Of A Car, Pigeon Camera, Nautical Disaster, Scared, Wheat Kings, Its a Good Life etc every once in a blue moon)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    locked wrote:
    um... that's "Locked in the" Trunk of a Car

a song I know something about ..
    :)
    Todd76 wrote:
    Imy little brother made me a Hip mix and I love hearing Trunk Of A Car, Pigeon Camera, Nautical Disaster, Scared, Wheat Kings, Its a Good Life etc every once in a blue moon)

......sorry - just shortened due to laziness, boy you Hip fans are touchy ;)

......also "It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken" - no slight intended
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    "it'd be better for us if you don't understand..."
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Does anyone have any 94-96 era boots? preferably FLAC?.. I had some great ones but lost a lot of stuff when my old drive crashed.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I've seem them twice. always awesome. Saw gord in the trailerpark boys movie last night.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
    had to come back home to sask for thanksgiving... you know where we dont have movie theaters.. lol

not ones that play trailer park boys anyways.... can't wait to see it when i get back to the city though!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    It's getting close, people! 8 more sleeps!!!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Hey gang. Not sure if anybody noticed on Saturday, but Hockey Night in Canada debuted the new Hip song "The Lonely End of the Rink" during their opening montage. The song is amazing. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QV5x9y_TRQ

7 more sleeps until the new album!

-Tom Waits
  • draperdraper Posts: 39
    Toronto Folks

102.1 is having a contest to win tickets to see The Hip in a small club(Horseshoe).

http://www.edge102.com/station/contests.cfm
    One is too many and a thousand never enough
    Holy shit, they're streaming the entire album on thehip.com, and it sounds freakin' incredible. Just click on the album cover in the top left-hand corner. Go now. Hurry!!

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
    nice!!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Wow...I wasn't very impressed with the single, but this record is sounding very good so far.
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey gang. Not sure if anybody noticed on Saturday, but Hockey Night in Canada debuted the new Hip song "The Lonely End of the Rink" during their opening montage. The song is amazing. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QV5x9y_TRQ

7 more sleeps until the new album!

thanks direwolf, as always. i missed that one.
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Holy shit, they're streaming the entire album on thehip.com, and it sounds freakin' incredible. Just click on the album cover in the top left-hand corner. Go now. Hurry!!

double thanks! :D
    direwolf74 wrote:

damn. blocked streaming at work!

what's the best song so far? (i.e. rocker)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    lonely end of the rink was the one that stood out for me at sasquatch.. and seems to be the best so far from listening to this now.. i donno how i feel about some of these tracks.. really balady.. hmm :/ maybe they'll grow on me
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    bharQ wrote:
    lonely end of the rink was the one that stood out for me at sasquatch.. and seems to be the best so far from listening to this now.. i donno how i feel about some of these tracks.. really balady.. hmm :/ maybe they'll grow on me

Really? The all hit me right away..best album since Phantom Power IMO. Lovin this album, can't wait til it actually comes out.

Favourite song is The Kids Don't Get It.
    Yeah I think I'm gonna just wait for the actual album and the show on the 28th.. which I still can't wait for!

i agree that kids song is really good
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    any extended guitar solos from Robby?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    any "Flamenco Part 2"?

God I hope not!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    any "Flamenco Part 2"?

God I hope not!

we're gonna keep you "locked" in that trunk and not "LET YOU OUT!" if you keep up that kind of talk, my friend! :D
    I think the entire album is amazing. Best thing they've done since Phantom Power, and hands down the best album I've heard all year (sorry Pearl Jam). Every song leaps off the speakers with so much energy and emotion, and Gord's singing is un-f**kin-believable. It's the best he's ever sounded. Some of the standout tracks for me so far:

Yer Not The Ocean:
    Great mid-tempo rocker to open the album. Cool lyrics and some incredible vocals from Gord.

Lonely End of the Rink:
    kicks my ass right across the room. An instant classic that ranks right up there with their best material. Also features possibly the coolest guitar intro to any Hip song EVER.

The Drop Off:
    another ass-kicking rocker with a very intense/angry delivery by Gord and some amazing guitar work from Mr. Baker and Mr. Langlois.

The Kids Don't Get It:
    Another cool rocker that sounds a little bit like The Clash. Great lyrics, killer guitars, and a highly energetic vocal performance from Gordie. Great stuff!

Fly:
    Brilliant. One of the best ballads they've ever written. Very catchy, and once again, a magnificent vocal performance by Mr. Downie (anyone noticing a trend here?)

World Container:
    this song gives "Last of the Unplucked Gems" and "Emperor Penguin" a run for their money for best album closer they've ever recorded. Lots of piano and group singing with some gorgeous background vocals from Paul and Gord Sinclair. Kinda reminds me a little bit of "Daysleeper" by R.E.M.

That's all for now. I'll post more thoughts after a few more listens.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I think the entire album is amazing. Best thing they've done since Phantom Power, and hands down the best album I've heard all year (sorry Pearl Jam). Every song leaps off the speakers with so much energy and emotion, and Gord's singing is un-f**kin-believable. It's the best he's ever sounded. Some of the standout tracks for me so far:

Yer Not The Ocean:
    Great mid-tempo rocker to open the album. Cool lyrics and some incredible vocals from Gord.

Lonely End of the Rink:
    kicks my ass right across the room. An instant classic that ranks right up there with their best material. Also features possibly the coolest guitar intro to any Hip song EVER.

The Drop Off:
    another ass-kicking rocker with a very intense/angry delivery by Gord and some amazing guitar work from Mr. Baker and Mr. Langlois.

The Kids Don't Get It:
    Another cool rocker that sounds a little bit like The Clash. Great lyrics, killer guitars, and a highly energetic vocal performance from Gordie. Great stuff!

Fly:
    Brilliant. One of the best ballads they've ever written. Very catchy, and once again, a magnificent vocal performance by Mr. Downie (anyone noticing a trend here?)

World Container:
    this song gives "Last of the Unplucked Gems" and "Emperor Penguin" a run for their money for best album closer they've ever recorded. Lots of piano and group singing with some gorgeous background vocals from Paul and Gord Sinclair. Kinda reminds me a little bit of "Daysleeper" by R.E.M.

That's all for now. I'll post more thoughts after a few more listens.

Great review..
    Can't wait..
    Oh, I'm from the US.. I guess I HAVE TO!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    The Calgary shows will be the first Hip shows I've missed since 94.. :( sadly I was on holidays when the tickets went on sale for the 4 shows.. now they are all sold out. If anyone going to the Calgary shows has an extra ticket, I would promise to be the best concert buddy ever !! ;)
  • Fly!!! :)
    I'm busy listening to the new one from the Hip called,

"Yer not gonna see us in Boston anytime this year"...

kind of a depressing little number I must admit!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    I'm busy listening to the new one from the Hip called,

"Yer not gonna see us in Boston anytime this year"...

kind of a depressing little number I must admit!

not one of their better tunes :( sorry locked.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    listened to teh new album at work yesterday, wanted so bad to steal one so I could have it for myself. Didn't get a good listen but liked what I heard, the second time it came on stupid new kid put in Alien Ant Farm instead and I was like "who the fuck listens to Alien Ant Farm?"
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb