Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I think Last Night is going to be one of those sleeper songs ... Now its kinda underwhelming, but later it will make its presence felt ...

Was anyone at that Horseshoe show last night? They played the entire album.
  • i agree...best since phantom power.

Exactly...and my review would be...

Yer Not The Ocean .....good song
    The Lonely End of the Rink .....Really Good Song
    In View ......so so
    Fly ...really good song
    Luv(sic) .....really good song
    The Kids Don't Get It .......AWESOME SONG
    Pretend..........good song
    Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me.......really good song
    The Drop-Off ......AWESOME SONG
    Family Band .......really good song
    World Container .....really good song
    Master of Zen
  • I think Last Night is going to be one of those sleeper songs ... Now its kinda underwhelming, but later it will make its presence felt ...

Was anyone at that Horseshow show last night? They played the entire album.

Wasn't there....going to both MOntreal shows though...looking forward to a show in a smaller venue in General Admission
    Master of Zen
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Guys, I am just not liking the new album. I think it's weak, I found it.... boring..... Just my opinion. You might find my review boring too, ;-)

Yer Not The Ocean (OK, forgettable)
    The Lonely End of the Rink (Really Good Song)
    In View (Really Good Song)
    Fly (OK song)
    Luv(sic) ( weak)
    The Kids Don't Get It (Weak)
    Pretend (WTF is this? The pop version of Kids)
    Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me (I am getting sleepy)
    The Drop-Off (Sleeping)
    Family Band (Sleeping)
    World Container (Sleeping)

Maybe it will grow on me.....Inbetween was better.....

LOL. The songs you don't like are actually my favorites on the album. Also, I'm surprised you don't like The Drop Off. That song kicks all kinds of ass.

I'm a big fan of In Between Evolution as well, but I think World Container is a slightly better album. The songs on this record are some of the most powerful stuff they've ever written, and the album as a whole is more cohesive and focused than previous efforts. Just my opinion of course. To each their own.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I think "The Kids Don't Get It" may well be the best song they've recorded in about 3 albums. Definitely sounds the most urgent.
    Damn! My tickets still haven't arrived for the Calgary shows. I ordered them over 3 weeks ago, and I don't understand why Ticketbastard takes so long to mail them out. I'm officially annoyed. If I don't get them by Friday, I'm gonna call customer service and find out what the freakin' problem is.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    You kissed my fingers and made me love you.... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    You kissed my fingers and made me love you.... :)

Best song on the album! The lyrics are amazing, and Gord's singing is nothing short of spine-tingling.

-Tom Waits
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Best song on the album! The lyrics are amazing, and Gord's singing is nothing short of spine-tingling.

yah - since you mentioned it yesterday, i payed extra attention to it this morning while i was riding the streetcar to work...

it was indeed beautiful, on a chilly, rainy morning... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • yah - since you mentioned it yesterday, i payed extra attention to it this morning while i was riding the streetcar to work...

it was indeed beautiful, on a chilly, rainy morning... :)

spine tingly dingly! :D

the more i listen to that one, the more i find it to sound like it has the best elements of coke machine glow...only hip-nified and in opus form.
  • spine tingly dingly! :D

the more i listen to that one, the more i find it to sound like it has the best elements of coke machine glow...only hip-nified and in opus form.

LOL...well said !!
    Master of Zen
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I have no computer access at home until cable hooks it up on Tuesday and all the streams are blocked at my work so I have not yet heard any of the new Hip tunes...

But my two cents...

Many of the "sleeper" Hip studio songs that I hated... kicked my ass in the live delivery...

Example "Tiger the Lion"..
    Artsy willy nilly in the studio...
    Head-banging kiss-ass heavy-metal mofo when played live during their 2000 tour...

Just remember the "jury is still out" until you see these songs on the new tour...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    canadian/arena tour announcement coming monday
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
    Lost_Clay wrote:

Yup, looks like they're doing the big Canadian arena tour this winter, which is just the way it shoud be. And for our American friends, I've heard that a full-on U.S. tour will happen in '07, most likely starting in the spring.

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_Clay wrote:

the winter tour. i love it! cannot wait to hear these songs live...maybe even 38 years old now that they've finally dusted it off...:D

HIP!
    Hey folks, I came across this cool review of the album from the Buffalo News. Enjoy!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061020/1053128.asp

-Tom Waits

-Tom Waits
  • "To hear him baring his soul during the title track, as the anthemic chord progression swirls around him and guest pianist Jamie Edwards lends to the grandeur, is to realize that the Hip is hitting a new peak 20 years into its career."

...good review...thanks direwolf :)
  • thanks, too, for the downie interview. it's interesting to read more about "the lonely end of the rink" especially. i'm sorry i missed it being played on HNIC on saturday :(

gord...you are a genius! :)
  • Can't believe how much I love this album so far..WOW...It's 4am now and I'm back from the bars and listening to the album non-stop but need to get to bed but can't...World Container won't let me !!!...haha
    Master of Zen
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion, just to keep the topic going. ;) But so far, WC just hasn't done it for me. I agree with what someone else said: it's boring. All the songs are either mid-tempo rockers or slow-tempo pop songs, and for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it yet. Lyrically, it's probably the strongest work Mr. Downie has ever done; I think it's really, really interesting how he's holding all these relationships of his under a microscope instead of singing about nonsensical things. (Not that there's anything *wrong* with that, of course...just sayin'. :)) But musically, I'm still underwhelmed, and it's doubly disappointing because IBE was *such* a killer album.

And that said, maybe hearing these songs live will change my opinion. I heard a few of the songs at Fort York in June, and they all sounded really good. And tomorrow and Thursday, in the friendly confines of the Phoenix, I'm sure I'll have a chance to see if that's really the case. ;)

Stay tuned...

Steve
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • NWOntario wrote:
    I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion, just to keep the topic going. ;) But so far, WC just hasn't done it for me. I agree with what someone else said: it's boring. All the songs are either mid-tempo rockers or slow-tempo pop songs, and for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it yet. Lyrically, it's probably the strongest work Mr. Downie has ever done; I think it's really, really interesting how he's holding all these relationships of his under a microscope instead of singing about nonsensical things. (Not that there's anything *wrong* with that, of course...just sayin'. :)) But musically, I'm still underwhelmed, and it's doubly disappointing because IBE was *such* a killer album.

And that said, maybe hearing these songs live will change my opinion. I heard a few of the songs at Fort York in June, and they all sounded really good. And tomorrow and Thursday, in the friendly confines of the Phoenix, I'm sure I'll have a chance to see if that's really the case. ;)

Stay tuned...

Steve

I really think that IBE was such a good album, that I keep on comparing the 2.
    This one doesn't hit me as hard as IBE did. Doesn't mean it's a bad album, but it might just be...boring...like Binaural was for me as far as PJ goes is......

Also, IBE was produced by Adam Kasper. WC doesn't sound as 'crisp' as IBE.
    Also, IBE was produced by Adam Kasper. WC doesn't sound as 'crisp' as IBE.

I'm also a huge fan of IBE, and I agree that World Container doesn't have that live-off-the-floor 'crisp-ness' that IBE had, but it's a different producer (Bob Rock), so sonically it's gonna sound a bit different. I was really worried about the Bob Rock thing before the album came out, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results when I finally heard it. It definitely has a 'big' sound to it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's definitely more polished than previous albums and a few of the songs feature plenty of layers and overdubs, but the songs are so goddamn good, that the production doesn't bother me in the least. I think this is some of the strongest material the Hip have written in a while. The entire album just bleeds emotion and energy. "The Lonely End of the Rink" is an instant Hip classic that in my opinion ranks among their best work, and "The Kids Don't Get it" and "The Drop Off" are two of the most ass-kicking rockers I've ever heard from the band. Also, it's nice to see them getting out of their comfort zone and trying different things musically on some of the other tracks. There's a lot more piano on this album, which is an instrument that they've never really utilized until now, and I think that's cool. The rhythm section (Johnny and Gord S.) really kicks you in the nuts on this record. Bob Rock is the first producer since Don Smith who actually knows how to capture Johnny's drums they way they're supposed to sound. And last but not least, Gord Downie really sings his ass off. This is the best vocal performance I've ever heard from him on a studio album, and his lyrics are incredible as always (well, except for maybe "In View", lol) Overall I honestly love the new album. It's the freshest they've sounded in years, and I can't stop listening to it.

-Tom Waits
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Will Newfoundland get a show????? If not im going to be extremely disappointed, cause i cant wait to hear this new album live.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    thanks, too, for the downie interview. it's interesting to read more about "the lonely end of the rink" especially. i'm sorry i missed it being played on HNIC on saturday :(

gord...you are a genius! :)

you tube's got ya covered http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QV5x9y_TRQ
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Lost_Clay wrote:

boo ya! :D thanks clay. :)
  • chris05 wrote:
    Will Newfoundland get a show????? If not im going to be extremely disappointed, cause i cant wait to hear this new album live.

it wouldn't be a hip tour without a show or two on the rock would it? ;)

i also can't wait to hear these new tracks live. :)
  • Lost_Clay wrote:

that was awesome! i hadn't seen that little clip with gord and don before. cool to hear him talk about letting one in :)
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    All this gushing over WC means I'll have to go back and listen to it with fresh ears. I threw it on again this afternoon and liked it a little bit more than the last time I heard it, but I still can't shake the notion that it doesn't "rock" as much as it should. I know this isn't a criticism per se--or at least it shouldn't be, as long as the songwriting is strong--but there are long stretches where the album sounds like one long, uninterrupted song. "The Kids Don't Get It" and "Pretend" having virtually the exact same lyrics doesn't help, neither.

Still, excited for tomorrow and Thursday! PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLAY "THUGS" AT ONE OF THOSE TWO SHOWS! PLEASE!!!!!

That is all.

Steve
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I'm also a huge fan of IBE, and I agree that World Container doesn't have that live-off-the-floor 'crisp-ness' that IBE had, but it's a different producer (Bob Rock), so sonically it's gonna sound a bit different. I was really worried about the Bob Rock thing before the album came out, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results when I finally heard it. It definitely has a 'big' sound to it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's definitely more polished than previous albums and a few of the songs feature plenty of layers and overdubs, but the songs are so goddamn good, that the production doesn't bother me in the least. I think this is some of the strongest material the Hip have written in a while. The entire album just bleeds emotion and energy. "The Lonely End of the Rink" is an instant Hip classic that in my opinion ranks among their best work, and "The Kids Don't Get it" and "The Drop Off" are two of the most ass-kicking rockers I've ever heard from the band. Also, it's nice to see them getting out of their comfort zone and trying different things musically on some of the other tracks. There's a lot more piano on this album, which is an instrument that they've never really utilized until now, and I think that's cool. The rhythm section (Johnny and Gord S.) really kicks you in the nuts on this record. Bob Rock is the first producer since Don Smith who actually knows how to capture Johnny's drums they way they're supposed to sound. And last but not least, Gord Downie really sings his ass off. This is the best vocal performance I've ever heard from him on a studio album, and his lyrics are incredible as always (well, except for maybe "In View", lol) Overall I honestly love the new album. It's the freshest they've sounded in years, and I can't stop listening to it.

I agree with this post pretty much 100%.

Family Band has really grabbed me now ... And its Gord's singing. Usually I focus on the guitars and drums first, in terms what makes a great Hip song. But this one is all Gord's delivery.