Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    hot damn i love you tube!!!

check out the band's performance of 'locked' from the 1992 juno's live via satellite from australia !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2NAZ6otps
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump*

Don't mind me, folks. Just keepin' the thread alive. 43 more sleeps until "World Container"! That seems like such a long wait...but I have a feeling it'll be worth it.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    after hearing it a few more times, I still think it sounds like a bad Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band song. I'm really not a fan of their last two cds and this just sounds like an extension of where those were headed.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    ediger wrote:
    after hearing it a few more times, I still think it sounds like a bad Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band song. I'm really not a fan of their last two cds and this just sounds like an extension of where those were headed.

I'm the opposite. I'm a huge fan of their last three albums, and my favorite Hip record is always the most recent one. To me the new song sounds like a cross between Matthew Sweet and the Stereophonics. The keyboards do sound a bit Springsteen-ish, but not in a bad way (at least for me it's not). I think it's the sound of the Hip just having some fun and writing a simple power-pop song just for the hell of it, which is something they've never done before. Is it the best thing they've ever recorded? No. But I still think it's a pretty cool tune, and it's catchy enough that it might get them some much deserved radio play in the U.S. And I'll bet the rest of the album will be quite different from the single. The three new songs I heard them play at the Sasquatch Festival were all heavy, guitar-driven rock songs with none of the "pop" element that the first single has, so it's hard to say what the rest of the album will sound like. It's gonna be interesting.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Hey folks! There's a preview of the new album cover on the Hip's homepage. I love it! It might be one of the coolest album covers they've ever done. Kinda reminds me a bit of the cover for Neil Young's "Living With War". Check it out!

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_Clay wrote:
    First we'd climb a tree
    and maybe then we'd talk
    or sit silently
    and listen to our thoughts
    with illusions of someday
    casting a golden light
    no dresss rehersal,
    this is our life

that's where the hornet stung me
    and I had a feverish dream
    with revenge and doubt
    tonight, we smoke them out

You are ahead by a century

Stare in the morning shroud
    and then the day began
    I tilted your cloud,
    you tilted my hand
    rain falls in real time
    and rain fell through the night
    no dress rehearsal, this is our life

That's when the hornet stung me
    and I had a serious dream
    with revenge and doubt
    tonight, we smoked them out

You are ahead by a century
    but this is our life
    and disappointing you's gettin'
    me down
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you guys & gals should all check out the new http://www.thehip.com & new fanclub in the works and great things happening in 2006

Damn....I have not heard or thought of this tune for years....man makes me think back to my high school years...all good memories....man I think I just had a moment!
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey folks! There's a preview of the new album cover on the Hip's homepage. I love it! It might be one of the coolest album covers they've ever done. Kinda reminds me a bit of the cover for Neil Young's "Living With War". Check it out!

http://www.thehip.com

indeed it does. :) i like the cover, very cool!...and a pretty sweet song of the day in "lionized" from amsterdam
  • Lost_Clay wrote:
    hot damn i love you tube!!!

check out the band's performance of 'locked' from the 1992 juno's live via satellite from australia !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2NAZ6otps

that takes me back...still a song i listen to a lot, but the "look" of the band takes me back...:)

thanks lost clay :)
  • Let Me Out!!! Let Me Out!!!! Let Me Out!!!!
    Let Me Out!!! Let Me Out!!!! Let Me Out!!!!

I love how crazy Gord gets during that part. I remember when they played that tune in Boston back in '02. During the build-up, the lights suddenly went pitch black except for all these strobe lights going, and Gord starts mumbling quietly "lemme out...lemme out....it's too fucking hot in here, let me out..." and then Johnny comes in quietly on the drums, building up to a mighty crescendo, and then BANG!!! The entire band kicks back into the main riff and all the house lights come up in a giant flash, bathing the entire theatre in light, and Gord just starts screaming his lungs out, "LEMME OOOOOOOUUUUUUT!!!!! LEMME OOOOOOOUUUUUUT!!!!" and flailing about the stage like a madman. It was absolutely riveting. It was one of those moments that happens often during a Hip show, where you suddenly think to yourself, "these guys are the best live band on the f**king planet." If the boys in Pearl Jam had been in the audience that night, all five of them would've turned to each other in stunned amazement and said "holy shit."

-Tom Waits
    Setlist- Ovation Music Festival, Stratford, ON 09/09/06:

Springtime in Vienna
    New Orleans is Sinking
    Gus
    Lonely End Of The Rink
    Grace, Too
    Summer's Killing Us
    Ahead By A Century
    The Ocean
    50 Mission Cap
    My Music At Work
    It's a Good Life if You Don't Weaken
    In View
    Don't Wake Daddy
    Wheat Kings
    Poets
    At The 100th Meridian
    Fire In The Hole

encore:
    Heaven Is A Better Place Today
    Pretend
    Nautical Disaster

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    glad to see this thread going strong!!

i was just over @ the hipbase & forgot about tonight's gig!! another solid setlist, hopefully we'll see da hips in the east again this winter

i am still a bit obsessed w/ the 92/juno clip!! been too long since i had seen it, glad yas enjoyed it
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
    Hey everybody! Here are a couple of articles to help tide you over until the new album arrives. The first one is an article/interview with Gord Downie regarding his upcoming solo shows in support of Waterkeepers, a Canadian environmental group involved with water conservation. The 2nd one is a review of last night's Hip show at the Ovation Music Festival in Stratford. Enjoy!

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/09/10/1822369-cp.html

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/09/10/1821948.html

-Tom Waits
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    theeeeeeeeeeeeeeey''re baaaaack!

Holy moly what a set list!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Holy crap, check this out! From thehip.com:

The Hip Live 10 series

"Hey folks,

We are very happy to announce the launch of The Hip Live 10 series for sale exclusively through itunes (Canada only, for now).

The songs for Live 10 are taken from songs streamed from thehip.com’s "Song Of The Day" feature.

Volume 1 will be available Tuesday September 12th. Each volume will be available for purchase as a whole, or as individual songs. Subsequent volumes will be released over time.

Check back to http://www.thehip.com at 2:00pm (est) on Tuesday september 12th for a live link or go directly to itunes canada."

The only crappy thing is that it says Canada only. But for our American friends, I'm sure some of us Canucks will be more than happy to make a CD copy and ship it off to ya. I'm sure there are also more "high tech" ways of helping you guys out, but I'm still living in the stone age with my crappy outdated laptop, so I wouldn't know.

-Tom Waits
    based upon this announcement, I am know convinced the Hip have implanted a chip in my brain and our reading my every thought and desire!!!!

Hip Bootleggers rejoice!

I would be highly surprised if they don't extend this to us here in "the lower 48"

Scott in Boston (AKA: Ontario South)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Hey gang! Here's the official tracklist for the new album:

1. Yer Not The Ocean
    2. The Lonely End Of The Rink
    3. In View
    4. Fly
    5. Luv(sic)
    6. The Kids Don't Get it
    7. Pretend
    8. Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me
    9. The Drop Off
    10. Family Band
    11. World Container

-Tom Waits
    Wow! Go over to thehip.com and listen to the song of the day- an absolutely smokin' version of Nautical Disaster from London, England '06. Gord goes off on what seems to be a rant about George Dubya and Tony Blair lying to their countries to go to war. He sounds angry.

-Tom Waits
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Wow! Go over to thehip.com and listen to the song of the day- an absolutely smokin' version of Nautical Disaster from London, England '06. Gord goes off on what seems to be a rant about George Dubya and Tony Blair lying to their countries to go to war. He sounds angry.

Man I can't wait for this album, thanks for the heads up on the song of the day I keep forgetting they have this.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • direwolf74 wrote:

oh yeah! :D seems to be a little homage to neil at the beginning too..."what a killer, what a killer, let me get this right...what a killer" - i'm thinking a little cortez the killer :)
    Setlist- Austin City Limits Festival, Austin, TX 09/15/06:

1: Don't Wake Daddy
    2: Courage
    3: The Lonely End Of The Rink
    4: Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
    5: Ahead By A Century
    6: In View
    7: Bobcaygeon
    8: Poets
    9: Springtime In Vienna
    10: Yer Not The Ocean
    11: At The Hundredth Meridian
    12: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    13: Blow At High Dough

-Tom Waits
    Hey folks! Here's another new interview with Gord Downie regarding his upcoming solo tour in support of Ontario Waterkeepers, as well as a couple of cool tidbits about the new Hip song "Yer Not the Ocean" from World Container. Enjoy!

http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/entertainment/story/3685234p-4259532c.html

Oh, and I almost forgot. The Hip's website is streaming the new video for "In View", and it's freakin' hilarious. I love it! Check it out here: http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    haha that video for the view is funny.. can't wait for this album
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Haha Gord's too funny in that video...:D and I'm loving the single more and more...it's solid. The single's getting mixed reviews I heard...but I love the simplicity of it.

http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=view&start=30

"I love you
    You know I do
    Yeah, it's perfect (?)
    Well it isn't and it is

I've been meanin' to call you
    And I do (?)

And I do

Phone rings once
    Phone rings twice
    Phone rings three times

I am of you
    And you are in everything I do

I do

I trust you
    And that makes you true
    I don't care if
    It isn't the way it is

And I do

Phone rings once
    Phone rings twice
    Phone rings three times

I am of you
    And you are always in view
    I am all well
    And you are in everything I do

I do
    I do
    I do

Day erases dark of night
    Excited states gone in clean sight (?)
    I'm gonna wave a valkyrie light (?)
    I lose, things change but never in your eyes (?)

I am of you
    And you are always in view
    I am all well
    And you are in everything I do"
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I got Up to Here about 10 years ago - I love the whole record, and I keep meaning to check out more of their music. But I'm an idiot so it hasn't happened yet.
  • Stratford was fucking amazing. It was my tenth time seeing the Hip but the first in 3 years and they have not lost a step. I have fallen in Love with them all over again. I shouldn't be saying this on a PJ site but The Hip is all I listen to right now.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    I got Up to Here about 10 years ago - I love the whole record, and I keep meaning to check out more of their music. But I'm an idiot so it hasn't happened yet.

Ah you should man...good stuff..the album before that and all the others after are great..I like Road Apples especially
    Master of Zen
    Kenny Olav wrote:

Wow, you've got some catching up to do! Up to Here is a classic, but the Hip have come such a long way from that album (it was released way back in 1989 after all). They still play some of the material from that record live, but like any great band their music has changed and evolved over time. I recommend picking up their double-disc greatest hits album "Yer Favourites". That'll give you a sense of where they've been and where they're headed. If it's studio albums you want, the following are absolute must-haves:

Road Apples
    Fully Completely
    Day for Night
    Trouble at the Henhouse
    Phantom Power
    In Between Evolution

Once you've absorbed those, then move on to their more experimental stuff on albums like Music@Work and In Violet Light. I have no idea what their new album "World Container" is going to sound like, but judging by the first single and the fact that they recorded it with Bob Rock, my guess is that it's going to be more polished and more straight-ahead rock than previous albums.

-Tom Waits
    Posted today at thehip.com:

CANADIAN TOUR INFORMATION

Hey folks,

the release date of october 17th for our new album, World Container, is quickly approaching. Hopefully you have all had a chance to hear the new single, 'in view', either on your local radio station or streamed from thehip.com. The video is also out. Tune into muchmusic, as well as streaming from our site and our youtube.com channel and MySpace page.

Stay tuned Monday morning for some very exciting Canadian tour information.

We can't say much now, but suffice to say we think it will make lots of folks happy. For those who are not yet registered users of http://www.thehip.com, now is a great time to register. Doing so will help you out come monday's announcement.

-the hip

-Tom Waits
    ANOTHER CANADIAN TOUR..

That's it..
    I'm done waiting for this band to come back to Boston ...

I'm gonna start going to Nickelback shows..

at least THEY appreciate their US fans...

"we are triumph!"
    GD 12/5/98
    Boston Orpheum
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford