Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Nah, I am waiting for tomorrow night ... I have this anxiety-provoking neuropsychological testing session tomorrow, where I give the tests to my supervisor and she dissects my every move and every error. Freakin' hell. This will be my reward.
    :)
    WOW...sounds like Horror !
    Master of Zen
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Looks like the album just leaked!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    lonely end of the rink was the one that stood out for me at sasquatch.. and seems to be the best so far from listening to this now.. i donno how i feel about some of these tracks.. really balady.. hmm :/ maybe they'll grow on me

wow after relistening to this whole album.. it definetely is starting to grow on me.. i'm liking it more and more! now i REALLY can't wait for the show on the 28th :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    listened to the new album a couple of times again this morning....

World Container is sticking out as today's fav track.... something about that tune that is upbeat and sad at the same time.... very intriguing....
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Just picked up my copy at HMV. I'm such a big nerd that I was the first guy in the store. As soon as I walked in, the girl says to me "You must be a Hip fan", lol. The album sounds great coming out of proper speakers, and the more times I hear it, the better it gets. This band never ceases to blow me away.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Just picked up my copy at HMV. I'm such a big nerd that I was the first guy in the store. As soon as I walked in, the girl says to me "You must be a Hip fan", lol. The album sounds great coming out of proper speakers, and the more times I hear it, the better it gets. This band never ceases to blow me away.

Yeah I'm going after work today to pick up my copy !
    My girlfriend gave me good news yesterday as well..she got us tix for the first show in MTL as well..sweet back to back shows for me..stoked!
    Master of Zen
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Album is pretty solid...the only misteps IMO are "in view" and "lonely end of the rink".

But overall the album is good and sound much fresher than what they've done with the past couple of albums.
  • listened to the new album a couple of times again this morning....

World Container is sticking out as today's fav track.... something about that tune that is upbeat and sad at the same time.... very intriguing....

good description :) direwolf was on the money when he said it's right up there with a couple of other classic album closers.

i'm listening to a lot of fly, luv (sic), the drop off, the lonely end of the rink, the kids don't get it, last night i dreamed you didn't love me...even pretend has a fresh and unique sound for the band. so many good tunes.

HIP! :)
  • direwolf74 wrote:

they saw you coming a mile away my friend! :D you can't hide the HIP-ness! :)
  • "There’s Mistaken Point, Newfoundland
    There’s Moonbeam, Ontari-ari-o
    There are places I’ve never been
    and always wanted to go"

GORD! :)
  • another fave from "the drop off"...

"The fates are amok and spun, measured and cut and the past is meant to please us
    Yer a comet from earth in a Kiss Alive shirt saying, ‘holy fuck, it’s jesus!?’
    The surface is green and the dark interweaves in a lonely iridescence
    It’s terribly deep and the cold is complete and it only lacks a presence
    and nothing else."
    Igottago wrote:
    Album is pretty solid...the only misteps IMO are "in view" and "lonely end of the rink".

But overall the album is good and sound much fresher than what they've done with the past couple of albums.

lol just like giftshop and ahead by a century are the missteps on trouble at the henhouse eh?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Lonely End of the Rink = masterpiece.

Is it me, or is there a real nice, delay-laden U2-esque guitar sound coming from Rob(I assume?).
    I shit you not ... That song made me tear up, because it was so effing great.
    Lonely End of the Rink = masterpiece.

Is it me, or is there a real nice, delay-laden U2-esque guitar sound coming from Rob(I assume?).

That song kicks my ass every single time. An instant Hip classic, that's for sure. I agree you can definitley hear the U2 influcence with the delay effect on Robby's lead guitar part. I can also hear a bit of The Police during the verses.

What a great album!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    bharQ wrote:
    lol just like giftshop and ahead by a century are the missteps on trouble at the henhouse eh?

There are no missteps on henhouse. One of the best rock albums ever written IMO.

Rink just sounds like a song you would expect the hip to write..the hockey reference, the churning guitars...plus I don't really like lyrics (oh to join the rush as the season builds).

In view, too poppy for my tastes, and again, lyrically boring. Not up to Downie's standards.

But overall I am really enjoying the album.
    another fave from "the drop off"...

"The fates are amok and spun, measured and cut and the past is meant to please us
    Yer a comet from earth in a Kiss Alive shirt saying, ‘holy fuck, it’s jesus!?’
    The surface is green and the dark interweaves in a lonely iridescence
    It’s terribly deep and the cold is complete and it only lacks a presence
    and nothing else."

:D:D:D:D:D

my favorite part of the ENTIRE album!! mook, how'd you know? ;)

thanks for the lyrics though -they're better than i had imagined... :)
    The Drop Off also kicks 800 different types of ass. Also some some nice guitar trickery buried in one of the most rocking songs the Hip have ever done.

I don't think I will diss Bob Rock anymore. With the right band, he can work wonders.
    Igottago wrote:
    There are no missteps on henhouse. One of the best rock albums ever written IMO.

Rink just sounds like a song you would expect the hip to write..the hockey reference, the churning guitars...plus I don't really like lyrics (oh to join the rush as the season builds).

In view, too poppy for my tastes, and again, lyrically boring. Not up to Downie's standards.

But overall I am really enjoying the album.

The lyrics for Rink are pretty basic on the surface ... I have a personal meaning that I have transposed on them, though.

agree that Henhouse is nearly flawless.
    The lyrics for Rink are pretty basic on the surface ... I have a personal meaning that I have transposed on them, though.

agree that Henhouse is nearly flawless.

Gord mentioned in a recent interview that the lyrics in "Rink" are essentially about the relationship he had with his dad when he was a kid. Here's the quote:

"I was a rink rat growing up," he says. "I was a goalie and my father was a busy father of five, so he would come when he could. When he did show up, I'd look up and there he would be. He'd never go so far as saying 'I'll be there,' because you don't break promises to children -- unless you're Stephen Harper -- and then I'd make a couple of saves, look up, and he'd be gone. So it was a really cool phantom in my life."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Gord mentioned in a recent interview that the lyrics in "Rink" are essentially about the relationship he had with his dad when he was a kid. Here's the quote:

"I was a rink rat growing up," he says. "I was a goalie and my father was a busy father of five, so he would come when he could. When he did show up, I'd look up and there he would be. He'd never go so far as saying 'I'll be there,' because you don't break promises to children -- unless you're Stephen Harper -- and then I'd make a couple of saves, look up, and he'd be gone. So it was a really cool phantom in my life."

And as someone with a well-meaning yet too busy/kind of messed up father, I think maybe this is why the song grabs me. Its a bizarre mix of really rocking music with lyrics that make me feel rather sad.
    Its a rare song that can hit such different emotions at the same time.
    ok, i can't take it.... i'm stopping somewhere to buy World Container tonight on the way home....

The Drop Off has been in my head all day, and if i don't hear it soon, i'm going to go crazy!! :eek:

:D:D:D
  • :D:D:D:D:D

my favorite part of the ENTIRE album!! mook, how'd you know? ;)

thanks for the lyrics though -they're better than i had imagined... :)

great minds ;) ...great minds, my friend :D
  • direwolf74 wrote:

thanks direwolf. :)
    "Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me"

My current favorite on the album, and possibly one of the most beautiful songs ever written by anybody.

That is all.

-Tom Waits
  • Friggin liking it alot so far..Awesome to hear it on thehip.com but alot better with the actual cd and listening to it in your car...
    luv(sic) and kids don't get it are my fav so far...Drop off as well..rink,fly..damn..well those whole album....lol
    Master of Zen
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    "Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me"

My current favorite on the album, and possibly one of the most beautiful songs ever written by anybody.

That is all.

incredible, isn't it?
  • Guys, I am just not liking the new album. I think it's weak, I found it.... boring..... Just my opinion. You might find my review boring too, ;-)

Yer Not The Ocean (OK, forgettable)
    The Lonely End of the Rink (Really Good Song)
    In View (Really Good Song)
    Fly (OK song)
    Luv(sic) ( weak)
    The Kids Don't Get It (Weak)
    Pretend (WTF is this? The pop version of Kids)
    Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me (I am getting sleepy)
    The Drop-Off (Sleeping)
    Family Band (Sleeping)
    World Container (Sleeping)

Maybe it will grow on me.....Inbetween was better.....
  • Guys, I am just not liking the new album. I think it's weak, I found it.... boring..... Just my opinion. You might find my review boring too, ;-)

Yer Not The Ocean (OK, forgettable)
    The Lonely End of the Rink (Really Good Song)
    In View (Really Good Song)
    Fly (OK song)
    Luv(sic) ( weak)
    The Kids Don't Get It (Weak)
    Pretend (WTF is this? The pop version of Kids)
    Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me (I am getting sleepy)
    The Drop-Off (Sleeping)
    Family Band (Sleeping)
    World Container (Sleeping)

Maybe it will grow on me.....Inbetween was better.....

That's cool man...we all have different tastes at times with music...Personally Ilove the Album so far...fav since Phantom Power
    Master of Zen
  • That's cool man...we all have different tastes at times with music...Personally Ilove the Album so far...fav since Phantom Power

i agree...best since phantom power.