Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• you'd much rather do almost everything in the states ;) ...not just the hip!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Today's song of the day at thehip.com:

A killer version of Lake Fever from the June 23rd show at Fort York. I love Gord's intro: "1832, there was a cholera epidemic all up and down the lake. Many people died where you stand tonight. This is a song about two young people who don't give a shit."
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Today's song of the day at thehip.com:

A killer version of Lake Fever from the June 23rd show at Fort York. I love Gord's intro: "1832, there was a cholera epidemic all up and down the lake. Many people died where you stand tonight. This is a song about two young people who don't give a shit."

i was there!! i was there!! :D

that was a great intro to Lake Fever... the second best Gord quote of the night... next to:

"here we are, in the heart of toronto, cradled by the Gardiner Expressway..."

or did he say 'armpit of the Gardiner Expressway'.... i can't remember... ;):p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    BUMP for the Canadian long weekend!!

But I thought you beat the death of inevitability to death just a little bit.
    I though you beat the inevitability of death to death just a little bit

i LOVE the rhythm of these two lines....

what a tongue twister!! :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • this song's about a man, sorta down on his luck...so he takes to the streets shaking a banana at people, trying to convince them that it's making a sound...
    this song's about a man, sorta down on his luck...so he takes to the streets shaking a banana at people, trying to convince them that it's making a sound...

I love that introduction! Gord is easily the most quotable frontman in rock. Here's a few of my favorites:

""Here's a song about a window-washer who saw a corporate executive boffing his secretary. He saw too much! The corporate executive leans out the window, snips the wires. He plunges 48 stories to his death, on the way with a massive erection. With the time he had left, the split second, the fractions of seconds he had left on the face of this planet, he chose to fantasize about a woman. And had the most incredible orgasm of his entire life as he hit the ground."

-Utrecht, Netherlands, '97

"Jean Chretien will be here tonight. President Jean Chretien. Just got back from kissing some major ass."

-Ottawa, '96

"We've had a wonderful summer, touring around your entire country, since May. Now it's time to go home and explore the realms within our fingertips. Play with somebody else for awhile. You know, like besides myself."

-Washington, D.C. '96

"All right, what I was trying to establish there at the end was a litany of voices, just different diversity of voices of people singing 'Sing to end all songs to end all songs', and I thought I'd try to do an Eddie Vedder imitation, and then I got stuck on that 'cuz I didn't quite get it right."

-Seattle, 2000

"Hello there, good morning. I feel Woodstockeriffic! Of course, we've come here to study you. Of course, it's us that gains the most, right? It's us that really benefits. I'm getting a message from beyond. We crossed when the lake was frozen. Like exiles from the Canadas of your soul!"

-Woodstock '99
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • beautiful, direwolf! he's a genius! :)

thanks for sharing those!

GORD! HIP! :D
  • reditalianreditalian Posts: 329
    Anyone else going to see them in Stratford Sept 9? This will be number 10 for me and I hope not the last!!!
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • hipfanhipfan Posts: 5
    I'll be there!
    hipfan wrote:
    I'll be there!

Right On!!!!!!!!!!

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

*bump*

Just wanna keep this thread alive. Still no further news about the new album. I'm thinking it won't be long before they make the official announcement regarding the release date (Oct.17) and the tracklisting. I'm anxiously waiting for some U.S. tour dates so I can start making my travel plans!

Just for fun, here are some more words of wisdom from Gord Downie:

"A standard break-up tune, sort of boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl, and then boy-sets-out-to-kill-girl."

-Toronto '89 (introducing Boots or Hearts)

"This song is about delivering pizza to a crack house. This is called Twist My Arm."

-Los Angeles '91

"Last time we were here, it rained like shit. I mean not like the rain was brown, but that it rained a lot, like say you had pizza the night before. How many of you were there? Well, bless your hearts. I remember that very well, and I was going to send you all thank-you notes, but you know how it is. A guy gets busy on the road."

-Saskatoon '91

"Here's a song for les filles du roi. Daughters of the King. Brought over from France by Hugh Hefner four centuries ago to help populate the new continent."

-Chicago '95

"This is a song about the benefits of maggots in your life. They're actually very clean, and they'll fix up a cut faster than Neosporin, or any band-aid on the market presently."

-Dallas '95

"We wrote this next song during this past winter, up in Canada. If you're from Canada, then you understand...then you'll know that there's really not a whole lot to do for a few months there in the year. Uh, really not a whole lot to do. And, so like the Swedes, you know, we contemplate throwing ourselves from windows, but ultimately the lull of drunken patriotism lulls us back. This is 700 Ft. Ceiling."

-Dallas '96

"This song is sort of a peace-keeping mission gone horribly awry. Led by Marlon Brando, a rag-tag group of peacekeepers, decide to stay behind enemy lines, open up a gated community of their own, with their Polynesian...Vietnamese princesses. 'Who's in charge here? Ain't you?"

-San Francisco '98

"I see the Canadian flags, I see the American flag. We've got about two American flags and about fifteen Canadian flags. With the exchange rate, that makes it about even."

-Toledo '98

"I believe in endorsements. This is good stuff, but it makes you burp a lot. Like constantly. A little saxophone rising up from your belly. Actually, I don't believe in endorsements unless you're allowed to swear. Good fuckin' drink! I've had a lot of pop. That's a helluva pop!"

-High Sierra Festival, CA '98

"This is a song about an animal that was given a key to the cage, opened the cage, let the door swing open, and in a moment of conscience, turned around, closed the cage, and threw the key outside. This is called Stay."

-Minneapolis, '00

"Is there some kind of unrest in the pit? Is there some kind of problem with the - your view? What's wrong? Please, I want to know. Because you can't keep giving me the finger and expect me to go on with the show. It has an effect. How could it not? I could try to ignore you, but, that's not the ticket you bought. And what about your friend, young Castro? Where'd he go? That's how Milosevic started."

-Syracuse '00

For the ultimate list of Gordie quotes, check out this page:

http://www.killerwhaletank.com/rory/ConcertList.htm

-Tom Waits
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    most people may well have it already, but for pure gold Gord Downie ranting, get the Hengelo '91 bootleg. He's absolutely trashed and just yelling about garbage the entire time.

A couple of memorable ones

"Here's our little docu-tragedy, our little weepy song. Its a true story about some people that don't exist. It's called 38 Years Old for all of you keeping score."

"Ok, what do you want to do? All Canadian? Oh, thats what you want to hear? I'll put that down. Blow Me. Blow At High Dough"
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    Tom Petty Sept 8 At The Molson Ampitheater With "special Guest",
    The Hip Sept 9 In Stratford. Man Would That Be Awesome To Them Open For Mr. Petty.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

Ladies and gentlemen, the latest news from thehip.com:

"World Container: Coming Tuesday October 17th.

Hey folks,

We are very proud to announce some information about our new album.

The album title is "World Container". It will be released in Canada on Tuesday October 17th. The first single is "In View".

Be sure to visit http://www.thehip.com for album news updates and all things hip."

I don't know about the rest of ya, but I think I just had a small orgasm. I can't wait to hear this thing! Oct. 17th seems so far away. It's a good thing there's been so much great new music released this year, otherwise I'd be losing my mind right about now.

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Ladies and gentlemen, the latest news from thehip.com:

"World Container: Coming Tuesday October 17th.

Hey folks,

We are very proud to announce some information about our new album.

The album title is "World Container". It will be released in Canada on Tuesday October 17th. The first single is "In View".

Be sure to visit http://www.thehip.com for album news updates and all things hip."

I don't know about the rest of ya, but I think I just had a small orgasm. I can't wait to hear this thing! Oct. 17th seems so far away. It's a good thing there's been so much great new music released this year, otherwise I'd be losing my mind right about now.

right on, right on! and a nice CDN winter tour to follow i'm sure...sweet! :)
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Woo Hooo!!!!!!!!!

I smell NA tour dates!!

In the meantime, how about some more Somerville/ Boston sourced songs from the Vault!!!!

To my count we've only had one somerville, mass show for the SOD..

where's the friggin love?

Scott in Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    right on, right on! and a nice CDN winter tour to follow i'm sure...sweet! :)

I can't wait! I keep checking the TTH website everyday! The new album and tour can't come soon enough.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    Check out the song of the day at thehip.com. An incredible version of Grace, Too from Holland in '97, with probably the best song intro I've ever heard from Gord. Great stuff!

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Check out the song of the day at thehip.com. An incredible version of Grace, Too from Holland in '97, with probably the best song intro I've ever heard from Gord. Great stuff!

Awesome! Thanks
    Which came first,
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    the new single is streaming on the site. I consider the Hip my favourite band, but this is awful. Easily the worst Hip song I've ever heard.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    ediger wrote:
    the new single is streaming on the site. I consider the Hip my favourite band, but this is awful. Easily the worst Hip song I've ever heard.

I don't think its that bad...its really poppy. But after listening a couple of times, its not that bad. Still, I don't think the Hip have any suprises left in them anymore. I'm interested to see if the album is anything beyond typical hip-sounding mid-tempo rock songs.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    it'll grow on you
    i had mixed reactions at first but now i dig it
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • it's weird, but almost every hip album has taken me about three or four listens to fall in love with it. i usually pick out a tune or two on the first listen that i think i will like...but i always end up finding the whole thing grows on me. the first listen is almost always a lukewarm reaction.

"in view" took me a couple of listens, but i like it a lot. :) cannot wait to see them live again!!!
    Like most of you, I had a lukewarm reaction to it on first listen, but now I can't get it out of my head! I'm really digging this tune. I wasn't sure about the keyboards at first, but they're starting to grow on me. The song is catchy as hell, and I think the prominent keyboards give it kind of an E Street Band vibe. I think it's great that the Hip are always changing things up a bit with each album. It shows that they're constantly evolving and challenging their fans. The folks over at the Hipbase are pretty divided over this song, which is par for the course everytime they put a new album out. Some people love it, some people hate it, and some people are on the fence. Happens every time. This new song is definitely "poppy", but this is the Hip we're talking about, and I don't think the rest of the album is gonna have that same sound. They played a few new songs at the Sasquatch Festival, and the ones I heard were VERY hard-rocking and had a darker vibe than the new single. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

-Tom Waits
    I had a few doubts when World Wide Suicide came out too but I find it's pretty common for me. Is it the best Hip song I've ever heard? Absolutely not! Am I still absolutely confident about the new album being brilliant? I certainly am! The Hip have never let me down yet.
    Which came first,
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Open up the Hip vaults for Christ sake...

enough of this "song of the day" tease...

WE WANT BOOTS!!! (or hearts!)

Or at least give us a "Vault classic" with a pre-order like PJ did!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    So after digesting it for a couple days, what's everybody's opinion on the new song? I definitely wasn't partial to it at first, but it's grown on me and I'm really enjoying it now. Do I think it stacks up against the Hip's best material? Not really. But it's still a cool little song, and it might get them some actual radio play in other markets besdies Canada, which is fine by me. Bring on the new album!!!

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    So after digesting it for a couple days, what's everybody's opinion on the new song? I definitely wasn't partial to it at first, but it's grown on me and I'm really enjoying it now. Do I think it stacks up against the Hip's best material? Not really. But it's still a cool little song, and it might get them some actual radio play in other markets besdies Canada, which is fine by me. Bring on the new album!!!

i like it quite a bit. kind of reminds me of a "problem bears" kind of song...although it didn't take any time for me to "warm up" to problem bears. both are catchy tunes with a little more pop flair i guess. i would agree not up there with the classics, but a very good tune, nonetheless.

and i'm with you as always direwolf...bring it on!!! :D HIP! :)
    i like it quite a bit. kind of reminds me of a "problem bears" kind of song...although it didn't take any time for me to "warm up" to problem bears. both are catchy tunes with a little more pop flair i guess. i would agree not up there with the classics, but a very good tune, nonetheless.

and i'm with you as always direwolf...bring it on!!! :D HIP! :)

Good call on the "Problem Bears" comparison. That's what I was thinking as well. It definitely has that same kind of feel to it, but a little more polished and with layered keyboards and guitars (no doubt courtesy of Bob Rock's production). Like I mentioned earlier, the keyboard parts remind me of Bruce & the E Street Band. And the more I hear the song, the more I think it sounds like a lost track from a Matthew Sweet album.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:

At this point it has just made me inconsolably excited for the new album!
    Which came first,