Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Hey gang! Here are some cool photos from the London show at Shepherd's Bush Empire, courtesy of "inarbeth" from hipbase.com. Enjoy!

http://www.narbeth.com/Tragically_Hip/FlingFrame.htm
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I'm just saying hi to everyone over here. I'm on the hipbase forums... and I won't lie... I like the hip more than PJ.

But i'm still a jam fan. Pointless post. oh well. peace.
    I'm just saying hi to everyone over here. I'm on the hipbase forums... and I won't lie... I like the hip more than PJ.

Me too, which is probably why I post in this thread way more than any of the Pearl Jam threads. But I really do love PJ. They're easily my second-favorite band of all time right behind Das Hips.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Me too, which is probably why I post in this thread way more than any of the Pearl Jam threads. But I really do love PJ. They're easily my second-favorite band of all time right behind Das Hips.

I'm happy someone refered to them as Das Hips. My cellphones background right now is a picture of The Hip from the last show I saw with 'Das Hips' as the banner :D
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Hipfans, check out today's/this weekend's "Song Of The Day" on thehip.com .
    Holy history.
    Hipfans, check out today's/this weekend's "Song Of The Day" on thehip.com .
    Holy history.

Holy crap, that's amazing! They play it so well, it almost sounds brand new. Hard to believe it's been a decade since they've played it. Robby's slide guitar solo is absolutely spine tingling!

-Tom Waits
    Latest unconfirmed rumor:

The Hip may be touring Australia in early 2007. I've never been down under, so I'm thinking I might make some travel plans if an Aussie tour is officially announced. Man, that would be incredibly fun!

-Tom Waits
  • Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    Hip? Will someone tell me about Hip please.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
    Galaxie2X4 wrote:
    Hip? Will someone tell me about Hip please.

Gladly! The Tragically Hip (or simply "The Hip" as their fans call them) are arguably the greatest Canadian rock band of all time, known primarily for their blistering live show and lead singer Gord Downie's highly literate lyrics (not to mention his bizarre stage antics, spasmodic dance moves, and cryptic mid-song rants). The Hip's music is a unique fusion of kick-ass hard rock, folk, and blues, with hints of country and punk thrown in for good measure. They've been together for about 20 years now, and so far their catalogue consists of 10 studio albums, 1 live album, a live DVD, and a 2-disc greatest hits collection. Gord Downie has also released 2 excellent solo albums called "Coke Machine Glow" and "Battle of the Nudes", as well as a book of poetry. Recently the band wrapped up recording on their 11th studio album with producer Bob Rock. Word on the street is that the new album will be released this fall. For more info on The Tragically Hip, I highly recommend checking out the following links:

http://www.hipmuseum.com/
    (An extensive and well-researched exploration of the band's music and lyrics, courtesy of Hipfreak Stephen Dame. Easily the coolest Hip website on the Net)

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:38qog4kttv4z~T1
    (cool biography on the band)

http://www.hipbase.com
    (fan forum, show reviews, and information site. Basically the Hip's version of the Message Pit)

http://www.thehip.com
    (the Hip's official site. Lots of great stuff here, including my favorite feature, the "live song of the day")

-Tom Waits
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    direwolf...

that's about the most poignant, dead-on overview of the band and the most sought after links I have ever seen...

I..I think I'm gonna cry!

(no kidding)

Thumbs up man!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    gordo is so weird/wired/talented

it's a beautiful thing
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    Tragically Hip best Canadian band of all time??????? Not even close... but i guess it's not the place to say this sort of thing :)...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • New album possibly drops October 17th
    ...rumour has it.
    Tragically Hip best Canadian band of all time??????? Not even close... but i guess it's not the place to say this sort of thing :)...

Well, I did say "arguably" the best Canadian band of all time. It's all about personal taste I guess. To me the Hip are the best. But for someone else it might be Neil Young, Rush, Sloan, the Rheostatics, or even some of the younger bands like the Arcade Fire or Broken Social Scene. But like them or not, the impact the Hip have had on Canadian culture is undeniable.

-Tom Waits
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    BAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Just got out of a thread where they actually called the Hip boring! Usually I give PJ fans benefit of the doubt but geez. THE HIP ARE FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!! I feel better now.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Hip! Hip! Hip! :D
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    It would seem to me, I remember every single fuckin' thing I know.

Hi!
    Just thought I'd throw that out there as one of my favorite Hip lyrics ever.
    It's been running through my head all morning...

:D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    I remember...
    I remember Buffalo
    "PULL! ..CLICK!"

:)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    I remember...
    I remember Buffalo
    "PULL! ..CLICK!"

:)

haha good one...that was from Woodstock wasn't it ?...sweet
    Master of Zen
    haha good one...that was from Woodstock wasn't it ?...sweet

actaully its from just about EVERY performance in Boston and Somerville, Ma..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    actaully its from just about EVERY performance in Boston and Somerville, Ma..

yeah you're right..just check the woodstock vid and wasn't that one..
    good one mind you...with a little trick or treat added
    gotta love Gord
    Master of Zen
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    BUMP

Been living under a rock :p, but I was at the Fort York show though!!! Awesome, awesome!!!

Hmmm it's gonna take me forever to read everything...., I'm glad the same company are still here. Ahh I miss this thread...keep this up you guys! :D
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • It would seem to me, I remember every single fuckin' thing I know.

Hi!
    Just thought I'd throw that out there as one of my favorite Hip lyrics ever.
    It's been running through my head all morning...

:D

one of the best, CEG! :) love it.

welcome back mariposa! :)

welcome back mariposa! :)

Hi mookie, great to still see you here! This is the second time I've come back after a long hiatus, hopefully this time around I'll finally have the time for this board and this Hip thread again like I used to. :)

Oh yeah...any interesting news about the new album? So hungry for new Hip tunes...

Btw, have you actually picked up their live music dvd yet?
  • haha good one...that was from Woodstock wasn't it ?...sweet

they did not play that at woodstock...i was there...he does say that in just about every version i've seen or heard
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
    My fellow Hipheads!

Word on the street is that the new album will be released on October 17th, followed by a U.S. tour in November. None of this has been officially announced yet, but it sounds like somebody over at the Hipbase has some pretty good connections.

So...anybody up for a road trip in November?

-Tom Waits
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    direwolf74 wrote:
    My fellow Hipheads!

Word on the street is that the new album will be released on October 17th, followed by a U.S. tour in November. None of this has been officially announced yet, but it sounds like somebody over at the Hipbase has some pretty good connections.

That is good news except about the U.S. tour. I want a Canadian tour dammit! But its' the hip so I won't be waiting long most likely.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    direwolf74 wrote:
    My fellow Hipheads!

Hopefully it won't get pushed back, October is so far away...:p

Hmmm a surprise small club gig before October would be nice too.
    MCG wrote:
    That is good news except about the U.S. tour. I want a Canadian tour dammit! But its' the hip so I won't be waiting long most likely.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather they tour the U.S. so I can cross the border and see them in a small club. The big Canadian tours are fun and everything, but there's nothing like seeing these guys up close and personal, standing right in front with your elbows resting on the stage. It's bloody brilliant. I'm thinking of maybe finding a cheap flight to L.A. or San Francisco, and then following the boys down the coast for two or three shows. I've been wanting to do a multiple-show Hip trip for years, but work and a lack of funds has always stopped me from doing it. This year my mindset is basically "f**k it, I'm gonna do this!" That's what credit cards are for. And the chances of me doing something like this again are pretty damn slim, so now's the time.

-Tom Waits
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I'm the opposite. I'd rather they tour the U.S. so I can cross the border and see them in a small club. The big Canadian tours are fun and everything, but there's nothing like seeing these guys up close and personal, standing right in front with your elbows resting on the stage. It's bloody brilliant. I'm thinking of maybe finding a cheap flight to L.A. or San Francisco, and then following the boys down the coast for two or three shows. I've been wanting to do a multiple-show Hip trip for years, but work and a lack of funds has always stopped me from doing it. This year my mindset is basically "f**k it, I'm gonna do this!" That's what credit cards are for. And the chances of me doing something like this again are pretty damn slim, so now's the time.
    I'd much rather see the Hip in the US. Last tour all it took was a two and a half hour drive south to see them in a 700 person venue versus a hockey rink in Canada. Funny thing is of the 700 people at least 500 were Canadian. There was the obligatory pre-show and post show singing of the Canadian National Anthem, crowd surfing, lots of beer beeing drunk and "eh's" being heard.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley