Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump*

I highly recommend you all check out today's song of the day over at thehip.com: A kick-ass version of The Wherewithal from Edmonton '02.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    direwolf74 wrote:
    *bump*

I highly recommend you all check out today's song of the day over at thehip.com: A kick-ass version of The Wherewithal from Edmonton '02.

Direwolf, LOVE the GD quote..

with all the PJ shows, I haven't checked TheHIP.com in a while..

but what's the latest with the Hip club??

It seems like as long as I signed up at "thehip.com" I'm in the fan club..
    yes?
    or do I need to do more?

also, can anyone desribe what the new songs sound like?
    gimme a feel for the style?

are we talking IVL style or down and dirty RA, FC style???

Thanks in advance..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    Direwolf, LOVE the GD quote..

with all the PJ shows, I haven't checked TheHIP.com in a while..

but what's the latest with the Hip club??

It seems like as long as I signed up at "thehip.com" I'm in the fan club..
    yes?
    or do I need to do more?

also, can anyone desribe what the new songs sound like?
    gimme a feel for the style?

are we talking IVL style or down and dirty RA, FC style???

Thanks in advance..

Hey Locked! Good to hear from ya. As of right now, as long as you're registered at thehip.com, you'll have first-in-line access to concert tickets. Their webmaster mentioned a little while ago that the HipClub would be expanded with extra goodies once the new album comes out, and he specifically mentioned Pearl Jam's TenClub as an example of what he's looking to do. I hope it happens.

As for the new songs, I heard 3 at Sasquatch:

"The Lonely End of the Rink"
    A dirty, riff-heavy rocker. I'm betting this one will be the first radio single.

"The Drop Off"
    This one was loud, hard, and fast. Keep in mind I've only heard it once, but if I had to compare it to other Hip songs, I'd say it's got kind of a Fire in the Hole/Wherewithal feel to it. It's a very heavy tune.

"Fly"
    Another up-tempo song, but this one is a lot more catchy and melodic with a great sing-a-long chorus.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    As for the new songs, I heard 3 at Sasquatch:

"The Lonely End of the Rink"
    A dirty, riff-heavy rocker. I'm betting this one will be the first radio single.

"The Drop Off"
    This one was loud, hard, and fast. Keep in mind I've only heard it once, but if I had to compare it to other Hip songs, I'd say it's got kind of a Fire in the Hole/Wherewithal feel to it. It's a very heavy tune.

"Fly"
    Another up-tempo song, but this one is a lot more catchy and melodic with a great sing-a-long chorus.

Great descriptions!~

can't wait to hear more..

Hip, Hip, Hooray!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    Great descriptions!~

can't wait to hear more..

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

seconded locked!

thanks for that direwolf!

i'm excited to hear the new HIP! :D
    Hey everybody!

Just heard that the new Hip album will be out this fall, most likely in September. There's no exact release date yet, as the boys are still working on the artwork and tracklisting, etc...

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Hey everybody!

Just heard that the new Hip album will be out this fall, most likely in September. There's no exact release date yet, as the boys are still working on the artwork and tracklisting, etc...

woooo hooo!
    After all the PJ tour purchases this spring, I should have replenisehd my bank account by then...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Hey gang! I came across this cool review of the Sasquatch Festival today. The Hip are mentioned about halfway down the page. Enjoy!

http://chartattack.com/DAMN/2006/05/3113.cfm

-Tom Waits
  • from the hip on myspace...:)

Hey Folks,

We have two new summer shows to announce.

What better way to celebrate the first official day of summer and greet the Summer Solstice than join the band, for one night only, in Belleville, Ontario. This is a show for registered users of http://www.thehip.com only.
    The details are

Belleville, Ontario
    The Tragically Hip
    with special guests The Weakerthans
    Wednesday June 21st
    The Empire Theatre
    Doors: 7:00pm
    Tickets: $59.50 plus service charges
    All Ages Show

Tickets on sale Friday June 9th at 11:00am (EST)

Only Registered Users of thehip.com are able to purchase tickets to this show. If you choose to tell friends of yours who are not yet Registered Users, have them visit thehip.com and become a Registered User today to avoid any disappointment in the processing time to be officially registered.

How it works is this: on Friday June 9th at 11:00am (EST), there will be a posting on thehip.com Registered Users homepage that will contain the link and password to purchase tickets.

Please note the ticket purchase policy for this show.

- Only one order per Registered User
    - 2 ticket limit per order
    - All tickets are to be picked up at The Empire Theatre Box Office on the day of the show starting at 7:00pm
    - Registered Users picking up tickets must have Photo ID and THE credit card in their name used to purchase the tickets.
    - Registered Users must enter the venue immediately after receiving their tickets
    - No In and Out priviledges once you pick up your tickets and are in the venue.

Regretfully, there are no exceptions to any and all of the ticket purchase policy.

The band will be playing the Ovation Music Festival in Stratford, Ontario on Saturday September 9th.

The details are

Stratford, Ontario
    The Tragically Hip
    with special guests TBA
    Saturday September 9th
    Ovation Music Festival Packham Road Park
    Doors: 4 PM
    Tickets: $99.00 Weekend Pass, $39.50 Early Bird One Day Pass or $45.00 Regular One Day Pass
    Charge By Phone: 888.388.1928 (local 519.271.3134)
    In Person: 277 Ontario Street
    Order Online: http://www.standingovation.com
    All Ages Show

Tickets on sale Friday June 9th at 10:00am (EST)

For more show information, visit http://www.ovationmusicfestival.ca

Das Hip
    in my best "Homer Simpson" voice

"Damn you summertime-Hip-concert-going Canadians!"

Break out the new stuff!!!

Scott in Hipless Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    c u in belleville(the peaceful village)

this show is being shot in multi camera video

expect GOOD things, and they will happen ;)
  • bumping for someone in another thread looking for reviews of the new songs...provided, of course, by direwolf :)
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    toronto tickets arrived today
    woot
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • canada day weekend approaches...HIP! :)
    *bump*

Hey folks! Just for fun, I thought I'd post the setlists from some of the recent shows. Here ya go:

date: June 16 2006
    city: Pittsburgh, PA
    venue: Three Rivers Arts Festival

The Lonely End Of The Rink
    Fully Completely
    Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
    Poets
    Lake Fever
    Heaven Is A Better Place Today
    Ahead By A Century
    Gift Shop
    The Last Of The Unplucked Gems
    Fly
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    Bobcaygeon
    Fireworks
    Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
    Grace, Too
    My Music At Work

(encore)
    The Drop Off
    Sherpa
    Fire In The Hole

date: June 17, 2006
    city: Lewiston, NY
    venue: Artpark

Click this link and scroll down to the 5th post. There's an actual photo of Gord Sinclair's hand-written setlist:

http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8921

date: June 16, 2006
    city: Guelph, ON
    venue: Grand River Conservation Authority

Don't wake daddy
    Courage
    The Drop Off
    Are you Ready
    Ahead by a Century
    Gift Shop
    Fly
    Lionized
    Last of the Unplucked Gems
    No Threat
    Its a good life if you don't weaken
    100th Meridian
    Poets
    My Music at Work
    Eldorado
    Fire in the Hole

(encore)
    The Lonely End of the Rink
    The Rules
    New Orleans is Sinking

-Tom Waits
  • last of the unplucked gems on both setlists! nice!

i would love to see a show where they ended with fire in the hole :)

thanks again direwolf! :D
    last of the unplucked gems on both setlists! nice!

i would love to see a show where they ended with fire in the hole :)

thanks again direwolf! :D

If there's one song that has the ability to scare the hell out of people, it's Fire in the Hole. I've seen them end with that song a couple of times, and it's an absolute monster of a song. The album version doesn't do it justice at all. Usually the band will play a nice long jam-style intro while Gord Downie goes off on some crazy rant, and then when the mood strikes him, he'll bark out the first line in an angry growl: "You triumphed over will, you had immunity to kill..." And then once the full band kicks in for the chorus, it's so freakin' loud and heavy, it feels like you've been hit by a train. I love it!

-Tom Waits
  • Edge34Edge34 Posts: 233
    It's gotta be either Road Apples or Day For Night.
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    If there's one song that has the ability to scare the hell out of people, it's Fire in the Hole. I've seen them end with that song a couple of times, and it's an absolute monster of a song. The album version doesn't do it justice at all. Usually the band will play a nice long jam-style intro while Gord Downie goes off on some crazy rant, and then when the mood strikes him, he'll bark out the first line in an angry growl: "You triumphed over will, you had immunity to kill..." And then once the full band kicks in for the chorus, it's so freakin' loud and heavy, it feels like you've been hit by a train. I love it!

very well said! great description. i've only seen them do it live once, during the main set i think...it kicked me in the arse! :D
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    ok, you guys are offically making me excited for Friday night!! ;):p

as of now, i am in Hip Warm-up mode.... :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • ok, you guys are offically making me excited for Friday night!! ;):p

as of now, i am in Hip Warm-up mode.... :D

awesome, awesome!!! enjoy the show ceg! :) listen to some flamenco to prepare...:D
    awesome, awesome!!! enjoy the show ceg! :) listen to some flamenco to prepare...:D

i don't have any flamenco music - but i do have some belly dancing music! that's a good way to warm up the hips.... among other things... ;):o:D
  • i don't have any flamenco music - but i do have some belly dancing music! that's a good way to warm up the hips.... among other things... ;):o:D

always the silly goose! ;) i meant trouble at the henhouse...flamenco...you knew what i meant! maybe some wheat kings too...emperor penguin...just some tunes i've been listening to to warm up for some HIP! :D
    always the silly goose! ;) i meant trouble at the henhouse...flamenco...you knew what i meant! maybe some wheat kings too...emperor penguin...just some tunes i've been listening to to warm up for some HIP! :D

sorry mook... all that talk of warmth, and hips, and dancing, made my mind wander... ;) tee hee! :p

wheat kings is a fav of mine... it'd be great to hear it live again! :)

*currently playing*
    It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken (another great slow dancing song... ;))

*currently playing*
    It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken (another great slow dancing song... ;))

One of my all-time favorite Hip songs! The first time I heard it I was absolutely blown away. Gord's lyrics are so beautiful, and that magnificent chorus gets me every time, especially when they do it live. Gordie sings it so forcefully and passionately that he always looks like he's gonna burst a blood vessel during the final chorus. This song also features one of the coolest lines he's ever written:

"In the forget-yer-skates dream full of countervailing woes,
    in diverse-as-ever scenes proceeding on a need to know."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    One of my all-time favorite Hip songs! The first time I heard it I was absolutely blown away. Gord's lyrics are so beautiful, and that magnificent chorus gets me every time, especially when they do it live. Gordie sings it so forcefully and passionately that he always looks like he's gonna burst a blood vessel during the final chorus. This song also features one of the coolest lines he's ever written:

there you go, getting me excited again!! :)

great description of It's a Good Life, direwolf - this song makes me feel similar to when I hear PJ's Black.... this'll be the one that if they play it live, I'll have my eyes closed, my head back, swaying to the beautiful rhythm.... (but that's usally when I lose my balance and fall over... hahaha... :o)

i'm not really a Hip expert - but i've got a lot of faves, and i hope they play 'em for me! :D
  • enjoy the show ceg, you lucky so-and-so! :D try to stay upright when they play it's a good life...it's so awesome live!!! :)
  • direwolf74 wrote:

agreed. :)

i was listening to "problem bears" earlier...i think i may have mentioned this before but it has a couple of fave lines for me too...

"Shakespeare, you're a drunken savage
    Well, you're a sober and green-eyed Voltaire
    It almost sounds funny like two tough-talking goalies really going at it upstairs"
  • reditalianreditalian Posts: 329
    Going to see The Hip for the 9th time in Stratford Ontario on Sept 9. Hands down the best Canadian band of all-time. No other band has captured what Canada is all about and then sell it to the rest of the world. They make you proud to be a Canadian. My favorite album is Fully Completely, man do I love Wheat Kings.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • reditalian wrote:
    Going to see The Hip for the 9th time in Stratford Ontario on Sept 9. Hands down the best Canadian band of all-time. No other band has captured what Canada is all about and then sell it to the rest of the world. They make you proud to be a Canadian. My favorite album is Fully Completely, man do I love Wheat Kings.

i'd be inclined to agree :)