Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I'm not suggesting PJ lifted this riff from "Fight" but the guitar hook in both is reamarkably similar...

give both a listen and let me know your thoughts..

first time I heard "MITS" I thought "this is Fight" by the Hip...

feedback please?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    locked wrote:
    I'm not suggesting PJ lifted this riff from "Fight" but the guitar hook in both is reamarkably similar...

give both a listen and let me know your thoughts..

first time I heard "MITS" I thought "this is Fight" by the Hip...

feedback please?

Not saying they are related, but Adam Kaspar did work with the Hip.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • yeah, jamaniac brought that similarity up in an earlier thread...i had to go and listen to them back to back, but there is a definite similarity there! :)
  • just got this message today...

TTH to play Milwaukee Summerfest on July 2nd
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Summerfest 2006

The Tragically Hip

Sunday July 2nd
    on the U.S. Cellular Connection Stage with Leinenkugel's and 102 ONE WLUM
    Tickets Now on Sale

Gate Admission Tickets

For Summerfest 2006, the price of an adult ticket purchased at the gate weekdays (Noon - 4 p.m.) will be only $8 a reduction and savings of $4 compared to 2005. Evening and weekend adult admission tickets purchased at the gate will be $15. Children¹s and Senior¹s tickets will remain $3. Adults over 10 $15.00 - Evenings (after 4 p.m.) and Weekends Adults over 10 $8.00 - Weekdays (Noon to 4 p.m.)

Single and Two Day Passes:

Two day passes are now available through Ticketmaster for only $23, representing a $7 savings off the 2006 gate price. Single-day passes can be purchased for $14 from today through June 15. Maximum purchase of pre-sale tickets is 10 tickets per person, per day. Tickets purchased at ticketmaster.com or by phone will be subject to convenience and processing fees. Tickets purchased at Ticketmaster outlets or at the Marcus Amphitheater box office will not be subject to additional fees.

Two-Day Pass

$23.00 - April 1 through June 15 (good any two days)

Single Day Pass

$14.00 - through June 15 (good any day)

In person:

Wisconsin Ticketmaster Ticket Centers

Marcus Amphitheater Box Office

Purchase Online:

http://www.ticketmaster.com

By Phone:

Milwaukee

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Only 18 more sleeps until Sasquatch Fest! Every time a new show gets announced, I get more and more excited. The summer tour is definitely starting to take shape now. Still no word on the new album yet, which is incredibly frustrating. They're being pretty secretive with this one. I did find this article today though:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/05/09/1571498-cp.html
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    More shows announced!!! Got this in my inbox this morning:

Hey folks,

We have some exciting additions to our spring and summer touring schedule that spans the coastal extremities of Canada and the US heartland.

On Friday May 26th, The Tragically Hip will be performing for one night only in Vancouver, BC. The details are…

Vancouver, BC
    The Tragically Hip
    With Special Guests

Friday May 26th
    The Commodore Ballroom
    Doors: 8:00pm
    Tickets: $59.50 plus service charges
    19 show

Tickets on sale Friday May 12th at 10:00am (Pacific)

Only Registered Users of thehip.com are able to purchase tickets to this show. If you choose to tell friends of yours, who are not yet Registered Users, have them visit thehip.com and become a Registered User today to avoid any disappointment in the processing time to be officially registered

How it works is, on Friday May 12th, at 10:00am (Pacific)/1:00pm (Eastern), there will be a posting on thehip.com homepage that only registered users can see that will contain the link and password to purchase tickets.

Please note the ticket purchase policy for this show.

Only one order per Registered User

2 ticket limit per order

All tickets are to be picked up at The Commodore Ballroom Box Office on the day of show starting at 8:00pm

Registered Users picking up tickets must have Photo ID and THE credit card used to purchase the tickets.

Registered Users must enter the venue immediately after receiving their tickets

No ‘In and Out’ of venue once you pick up your tickets and are in the venue.

19 show. Must be legal drinking age.

Regretfully, there are no exceptions to any and all
    of the ticket purchase policy.

We will also be visiting our fans in the East Coast of Canada, playing Charlottetown, PEI. The details are….

Charlottetown, PEI
    Atlantic Superstore Festival of Lights
    The Tragically Hip
    with Special Guests
    the Sam Roberts Band
    and Matt Mays & El Torpedo

Friday June 30th
    Historic Charlottetown Waterfront
    Atlantic Lottery Concert Series

Individual tickets to see The Hip on June 30th and Weekend Passports for the Atlantic Lottery Concert Series will be available starting May 24th at Atlantic Superstores Island-wide...

Posted: 05/10/2006
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • i think joel plaskett is on the festival of lights list as well...that is going to be one hell of a party on the island! can't wait!

and the show at the commodore should be a blast too!
  • :D

blasting 700 foot ceiling at 3 AM because one of my neighbours just moved out and the other one has been being a prick since he is moving out at the end of the month...making as much noise as he can until he moves out...thought he might be in the mood for some hip!

anytime of the day is good for some trouble at the henhouse, eh? ;)
  • ...tonight i'm going to let him have some "fire in the hole" around 3 AM, then again at 4 AM, then again at 5 AM...i'm just concerned he may actually be a hip fan and be enjoying the tunes...hope he's not enjoying the wake ups at least! :D
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    fire in the hole!!! Great choice haha!! After that try Freak Turbulence! :D
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    so, apparently the Hip are playing a free show in pittsburgh soon.....I can't say I've ever heard any of their stuff....

are they worth checking out?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    so, apparently the Hip are playing a free show in pittsburgh soon.....I can't say I've ever heard any of their stuff....

free show!?!?!? congrats stone, definitely worth checking out...you will be pleasantly surpised! :)

you can check out tunes at thehip.com on "song of the day"

a free show here would gaurantee bedlam! the outdoor paid shows here in halifax always draw 25,000 or so...so i can't imagine how many people would show up hoping to get in, near, or around :D
  • anyone have any idea how many tickets they are selling for the festival of lights show? it should be insane on canada day eve!!! :)
  • StoneG82 wrote:

Pittsburgh, PA:: Three Rivers Arts Festival

Fri June 16

Pittsburgh, PA

Venue: Point State Park - Three Rivers Arts Festival

Tickets: Free show – no tickets

Web: http://www.artsfestival.net

Calendar: http://www.artsfestival.net/2006Festival/festivalcal.html

Performer List: http://www.artsfestival.net/2006Festival/performingarts.html

Another show announced! I might have to make some travel plans for this one. That lineup is freakin' amazing!

Friday September 15
    Austin TX - Austin City Limits Festival
    Vilker Park
    All Ages

http://www.aclfestival.com/

-Tom Waits
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    It's been a while! So just bumpin' up the Hip thread....and catchin' up with all the news.

Glad to see mookie, direwolf and the rest of you guys are still spreadin' some Hip love around here!!! :D
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • good to see you back mariposa! :) looking forward to canada day weekend on the island myself...HIP!

...any shows on the agenda for you that you have seen announced?
    mariposa wrote:
    It's been a while! So just bumpin' up the Hip thread....and catchin' up with all the news.

Glad to see mookie, direwolf and the rest of you guys are still spreadin' some Hip love around here!!! :D

Hip love remains in Boston..
    but I'm starring down the barrel of two nights of Pearl Jam back to back in 10C seats!!! at the New Boston Garden
    5/24 and 5/25...!!!

woo...friggin...hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Best Hip album is?

Music@Work is my current favorite, I think ...

WTF? Are you serious? The Hip were a great band....first 3 records were amazing. They went downhill quickly after that though. I can't stand them anymore but their first 3 albums are amazing. Road Apples and Up To Here are my favs by them.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I'm so mad. I have to miss their fan club only gig in Vancouver at The Commodore on Friday night because my son has a lacrosse tournament in Kamloops. The Commodore is the greatest place for concerts, the floor has a slight bounce to it. Pearl Jam played the first gig of their Binaural tour there. It holds about 2,000 people.
    The Hip's concert will be old school with lots of crowd surfing.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    I'm so mad. I have to miss their fan club only gig in Vancouver at The Commodore on Friday night because my son has a lacrosse tournament in Kamloops. The Commodore is the greatest place for concerts, the floor has a slight bounce to it. Pearl Jam played the first gig of their Binaural tour there. It holds about 2,000 people.
    The Hip's concert will be old school with lots of crowd surfing.

As Gord said, "Crowd surfing went out with 'Don't go there" and acid-washed jeans"..

and blow off the godamn lacrosse tourney..
    If the Hip had a "fan club only" gig in Boston, I would skip out on open-heart surgery to attend..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    good to see you back mariposa! :) looking forward to canada day weekend on the island myself...HIP!

...any shows on the agenda for you that you have seen announced?

I can't wait for them to play here again!!! :D:D So excited. I booked the evening off of work as soon as I heard. I can't wait for the rest of the line up to be announced although this will be hard to top. let me know when you come to the Island, mookie. maybe, we can have a little island jammer/hip party :p

Turns out I could have waited for the line up to be announced :rolleyes:, it is pure shite. Oh well, I can't wait to see the Hip again!!! :D
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    pjfanman wrote:
    WTF? Are you serious? The Hip were a great band....first 3 records were amazing. They went downhill quickly after that though. I can't stand them anymore but their first 3 albums are amazing. Road Apples and Up To Here are my favs by them.

WTF? Are you serious? The Hip ARE a great band who consistently put out very strong records and their live performances are absolutely incredible. You are as bad as people who think Pearl Jam went to shit after Ten.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    locked wrote:
    As Gord said, "Crowd surfing went out with 'Don't go there" and acid-washed jeans"..

and blow off the godamn lacrosse tourney..
    If the Hip had a "fan club only" gig in Boston, I would skip out on open-heart surgery to attend..!
    Well, when I saw them in Seattle on the last tour (2005) there was plenty of crowd surfing. That was in a 900 or so person venue. So I'm sure they'll still be lots this time around. The Seattle show was mostly people from Vancouver, BC who drove down to see The Hip play a small venue versus the arena setting they play in Canada.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    I've mentioned this a couple of times already, but I'm seeing them on Saturday at the Gorge for the Sasquatch Festival. The lineup for that day is freakin' amazing: The Hip (of course), Ben Harper, Gomez, Sam Roberts, Neko Case, The Constantines, Iron & Wine, Flaming Lips, and a whole bunch more. I can't wait!

Oh, and anybody who says the Hip went downhill after their 3rd album needs to put down the crack pipe. Fully Completely, Day for Night, Phantom Power, and In Between Evolution are four of the best albums they've ever released. In Violet Light and Music@Work are pretty damn good as well. I love Up to Here and Road Apples as much as any Hip fan, but like all great bands, these guys have matured over the years and their songwriting has developed into something very cool and unique. There's no other band on the planet that sounds like them. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Hip are like fine wine. They only get better with age.

-Tom Waits
    surferdude wrote:
    Well, when I saw them in Seattle on the last tour (2005) there was plenty of crowd surfing. That was in a 900 or so person venue.

When I saw them in Spokane in '04, there was lots of crowd surfing at the beginning of the set, but Gord put a stop to that pretty quick. About 4 songs in, he was obviously getting very concerned and tried to calm things down a bit. This is from the bootleg I have of the show:

"Everybody ok down here? I see lots of young women up here getting crushed by large male bodies. There's plenty of room for everybody and there's no need for any crowd surfing. You. (points at some dipshit who had just been slammed to the floor by security after he tried to surf over the barrier) You looked experienced there for a second...and then you didn't. Let's all just have a good time and take care of each other, alright?"

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    I've mentioned this a couple of times already, but I'm seeing them on Saturday at the Gorge for the Sasquatch Festival. The lineup for that day is freakin' amazing: The Hip (of course), Ben Harper, Gomez, Sam Roberts, Neko Case, The Constantines, Iron & Wine, Flaming Lips, and a whole bunch more. I can't wait!

Oh, and anybody who says the Hip went downhill after their 3rd album needs to put down the crack pipe. Fully Completely, Day for Night, Phantom Power, and In Between Evolution are four of the best albums they've ever released. In Violet Light and Music@Work are pretty damn good as well. I love Up to Here and Road Apples as much as any Hip fan, but like all great bands, these guys have matured over the years and their songwriting has developed into something very cool and unique. There's no other band on the planet that sounds like them. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Hip are like fine wine. They only get better with age.

well said direwolf. :) ...oh, trouble at the henhouse too...

and have a blast this weekend, you bastard!!! :D just kidding...i'm only ridiculously jealous that's all :)
    well said direwolf. :) ...oh, trouble at the henouse too...

Good call! I can't believe I forgot to mention that one. Great album!

-Tom Waits
    Just back from Sasquatch! That was by far the best Hip performance I've ever witnessed. It was short, but the energy was unbelievable, and Gord worked in some hilarious rants about the crazy weather (more on that in a second). The new songs sounded amazing. If the rest of the new album is as good as those three songs, then I think we may have another classic on our hands. The anticipation is killing me!

For those who weren't there, I gotta tell you about the insane hail storm that rained down on us about 3 songs into Neko Case's set. It was easily one of the strangest things I've ever experienced. I got a sunburn AND froze my ass off all in the same day. My sister and I were down in front of the stage watching Neko, and when the shit went down, panic ensued. Everybody started running in all directions looking for whatever shelter they could find. We ended up making a b-line for the porta potties and hid inside them for a good 10 minutes or so. I figured it would pass quickly like most hail storms do, but it just kept coming down, and hard! After about 15-20 minutes it finally let up and the skies cleared in time for the stage crew to set up the Hip's gear. None of us brought a change of clothes, so we were all soaking wet and cold for the remainder of the show, but we toughed it out and stayed until after Ben Harper's amazing set. I'll never forget it. What an incredible day!

Here's the setlist:

Grace, Too
    Lonely End Of The Rink (new song)
    Nautical Disaster
    The Drop Off (new song)
    Courage
    Fly (new song)
    Fully Completely
    Poets

Like I said. It was short, but sweet. This new album is gonna be freakin' incredible.

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    nice review, i was reading about that weather thing on hipbase, crazyness

can't wait until june 30th!!!
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06